• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:49
CEST 10:49
KST 17:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9029 users

AhhBoxxah's TvZ and Interview

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Vincere
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States298 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-09 22:55:15
October 19 2010 02:09 GMT
#1
Updated:

Well here we finally go. The long awaited replay pack: http://www.mediafire.com/?guogc10hxlcdux2

And with the replay pack, and interview after MLG. AhhBoxxah played Agh in the first round losing 2-1, then went to the loser's bracket where he had a bye in the first round (according to MLG) and then eliminated Crebstar and Mercadia from the competition before going on to face Agh again in the losers bracket. Now because he lost to Agh once before, they extended the original series (2-1) to a Bo7 game. AhhBoxxah tied it up 3-3 but ended up losing game 7.

How do you feel about your performance in the MLG?

To be honnest, I was pretty disapointed with myself. I am definitely capable of doing a lot better, but at the same time I don't practice as much as I should so perhaps I didn't deserve it as much. I also had no issues with stress playing live, I think I actually played really well, I just lack a lot of practice ^^.


Why was the 2nd set against Agh a best of seven? How did those games play out? (Editor: I asked this question because I was confused about the extended series format when I first wrote these questions)

It was part of the MLG "extended series" format, where if you play the same player twice, you start with the score that you had in the first bo3, which in this case was 2-1 for him, and you play a bo7 from there. Essentially he only needed to win 2 games while I needed to win 3 games. Unfortunately I once again started out losing so the score was 3-1. However I managed to win 2 games afterwards. The last game however, I really feel like I had that game, but I threw it away so the final score was 4-3 for Agh. Nevertheless props to him for playing well and getting the win. I won't go into detail with what happened in each game so just download the replays!


How did you enjoy your trip into America?

I've been to America quite a few times now, and to be honnest I don't have much to say as we didn't have a lot of time to visit Dallas and whatnot. My team and I mostly spent time within the hotel, except for the first day where we went out for some Denny's rofl. Beisdes that however, I must say I really enjoyed MLG. I got to meet soooo many people, and it's amazing how nice and sociable all the guys in the community are.


What do you think you need to work on the most?

At the moment obviously my TvP. My other matchups are really solid yet I struggle with a lot of TvP aspects, mostly dealing with strong 2 base colossus play rofl (editor: Agh used this strategy). I actually discussed TvP with a number of strong Terran players at MLG, so hopefully I can benefit from that. Ultimately though, I just think that I need to practice a lot more than I am practicing now, and after this event I'm definitely a lot more motivated for future events both online and off.


Are you going to change your name now, and what are you going to change it to?

I really want to change my name rofl, but I have no idea what to change it to! I'll think about it.

Editor: Maybe people can suggest names in this thread?

Have your parents been supportive of your competitive Sc2 gaming?

Yeah definitely, I mean there have been several bumps a long the way, but ultimately I have to admit that despite a lot of immaturity on my part, and perhaps some misunderstanding on theirs, they never really opposed it. My mom seemed actually pretty excited about me going to Dallas, talking about it to her friends and co-workers rofl.


Can I finally have that Zerg replay pack :-P?

Yeah let me get home and I'll send you whatever I can find LOL.


Anything else you would like to add?

First I really want to shoutout sixjax for sponsoring me and my teammates. They're an awesome company and everyone should go check them at www.sixjax.com. The site is scheduled to launch in 2 weeks or so! Without them I wouldn't have been able to go to this MLG, nor future ones so I really appreciate that, and I also appreciate their care for their players. Also shoutout to all the people I met at MLG and said hi to, you know who you are, you're all awesome. And of course shoutout to everyone in sixjax NrG, and I guess any fans that I may have rofl! I also wanted to add that you will definitely see more of me in the future, and I will definitely strive to become a top worldclass player =D, at least thats my goal! Also, thanks a lot Vincere you're awesome I really appreciate that you took time in setting this up! Keep up the boss streaming


Original post
+ Show Spoiler +

Profile: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1265398/1/AhhBoxxah/
GosuGamers Profile: http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/members/NrG.AhhBoxxah

Disclaimer: I've never been particularly good at writing, so if my writing makes you want to strangle yourself, please at least read the interviews and watch the replays/VoDs at least :-)

I was casting the US Craftcup (http://www.bitsperbeat.com/ussc2/?site=brackets&tID=264#grid) this last Saturday (10/16/2009) and ran into AhhBoxxah in the tournament.

AhhBoxxah's ZvT strategy used strictly Marines, Tank and Medivac build against Zerg, and I was amazed how well it worked, although I never saw amazing baneling use against him, he was able to avoid decent baneling use. A late transition into Battlecruisers will seal the deal if the game does not end before then.

I was lucky enough to witness this beacuse in the Semi-finals he knocked out a Zerg player (Disturbance) and then moved on to knock out another Zerg player in the finals (vOddy)

I was surprised at how well his strategy worked, watch the games and see for yourself. Between some matches in the US CraftCup I was waiting for a game to join and did a short interview where I asked him why he went this build, and he said he liked the APM this strategy required to pull off well. So in a later game when I got to see him versus Zerg again, I made sure to pull up the APM tab near the end and saw that it was over 250. I found it very impressive to keep that high of an APM up the entire match and actually do something with all that spamming (please don't turn this thread into an APM discussion).

I'll leave more details of his strategy up to him in the interview below.

Anyway, to see this strategy in action, you can watch the VoDs of AhhBoxxah play against Disturbance and vOddy at:

Game 1 Semi-finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10246966
Game 2 Semi-finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247216

Game 1 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247854 (failed baneling bust ends this game early)
Game 2 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247997
Game 3 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10248332

or download the replays at:

[url blocked]

AhhBoxxah vs. Catz (Note: I am not affiliated with Basement Starcraft)

Part 1: here
Part 2: here

Replay: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/3286

Interview of AhhBoxxah:

First of all could you introduce yourself to us?

Hello, my name is Mihai Avrigeanu, I live in Montreal, Canada and I'm 17 years old.


Where'd the name AhhBoxxah come from?

Essentially it's just a joke between some friends of mine and myself. We would yell out AHHBOXXAH whenever someone tried to micro in broodwar, as a sort of homage to Boxer of course, but it was mainly used ironically as we would use it whenever some failed at microing haha ^^, however I think that I will eventually switch my name because it's pretty awkward when I introduce myself to other people at events rofl.


Could you please explain your Marine, Tank and Medivac strategy in your own words?

The strategy itself isn't too complicated, but uses quite a few thought out transitions, which I won't cover in this interview as I don't want to write an entire essay haha ^^. Basically, I try to get out an expansion as fast as I can, as well as getting quick upgrades. These upgrades obviously allow my marines to become more effective, and give me good push timings. Moreover, marines are easy to mass as they are really cheap, which allows me to constantly pressure the zerg, and this works really well when executed with drops. On the other hand, tanks are the main unit that allow me to fight a zerg army head-on, as I usually never engage with marines because banelings completely destroy them, which is why you must use stim a lot to constantly kite banelings. For most of the game, however, the tank's main purpose is to defend my side of the map, hence defend my expansions, until I get a critical mass and push. Medivacs are used for the obvious reasons of support and added mobility. Actually, I also use BCs intentionally late game, as they offer a very strong transition in that they abuse the very ground heavy army the Zerg usually uses to counter my army composition, as mutas and hydras progressively become more obsolete. In short, the units have really good synergy, and it allows for good offense and defense. I would be happy to comment extensively on the deeper thought behind the build if the interest is high enough ^^.


What is your gaming history?

I've been playing computer games since the age of 5 or 6, having played games such as RA1, Dune 2000, warcraft on dos rofl! Eventually I started playing broodwar at the age of 9, fastest map/bgh and what not. My first encounter with competitive gaming was during my warcraft 3 period, which was when I was around 13-14 years old. It was the first time when I discovered the world of eSports. However I eventually gravitated back to brood war, and have been playing it competitively for the past 3-4 years, having established myself as a solid player after having joined team NrG, playing amongst the B ++ level players.


What is the one strategy that you hope not to see from your Zerg opponent?

There is no specific strategy I fear the most. However I really think that once zergs become more proficient with their multitask, as well as start using broodlords and infestors more, complimented by good baneling positioning and constant creep spread, my play style will have a harder time, and I might eventually have to start incorporating other units, more specifically marauders again.


Are you on a gaming team?

Yes I am currently on team NrG, along with brood war superstars NrG.stev aka YoonHo, NrG.Humble aka Jackass, NrG.dde aka Tidy, NrG.eve, NrG.v1ktor, NrG.Bamboo, as well as our newly added WoW progamers NrG.Kvz and NrG.ViBE, and up and coming superstars NrG.Deph and NrG.CrY! Also shoutout to our always loyal nergs NrG.ZaM, NrG.Cirno, and NrG.fcuk, and last but not least the best leader of all time NrG.Neverexpo. Woot my first true shoutout! haha


Could you explain what's going on in what was the issue you seemed to have with Catz?

Haha this was quite the fiasco! Long story short, amidst the competition there was some good trash talk, nothing serious! In case you're up for some good drama http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=150845
No hard feelings though, I actually really respect CatZ from what I see him doing with team ROOT, and with the bonds that he seems to share with all of his teammates, he seems like a really cool guy ^^.


Who are your favorite SC2 players currently?

I don't really have any favorite SC2 player, although I'm really looking forward to seeing old BW pros play (NaDa, Boxer, JulyZerg, etc). Besides that, I find watching all of the high caliber NA/EU players entertaining! I must say though that former brood war players will always have a place in my heart <3!


How do you feel about the balance of Terran right now?

Hmm what a controversial topic haha! I find that I have no major complaints about any matchups really. I find that, at least from my style of play, the matchups are pretty balanced, and that ultimately the better player will win. The only regrets I have are of the very stagnant map pools for tournaments i.e. the constant use of blizzard maps. I really wish that we could explore different types of maps, with different architecture and dimensions, so that we can further assess what truly affects matchup balance and metagame. Other than that nothing major!


Any other things you want to say?

I just wanted to say that I am really humbled by this interview! This is the first time I actually get some exposure, and I hope that perhaps I gained some fans from this haha! Ultimately, I would really like to thank you for this opportunity, and I'd be happy to contribute in anyway possible to the community, and I can promise you that this isn't the last time you will have heard of me! Shoutout to team NrG, the best team ever! =D


Ending Note:
I just really enjoyed casting his games and hope to see more of his games. AhhBoxxah took out AlLaboUtyOu in the quarter-finals. Also AhhBoxxah is working on his own TvZ replay pack to add to this thread.

I hope you enjoy the read, and if not, at least enjoy the games/strategy.
SiguR
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada2039 Posts
October 19 2010 02:16 GMT
#2
I enjoyed the interview. Seems like a cool guy.

I look forward to seeing AhhhBoxxah at future events. I hope he keeps his name .
NrG.NeverExpo
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2114 Posts
October 19 2010 02:39 GMT
#3
Thanks for doing this interview Vincere :D

SiguR I agree with you, I think it's too late to change his ID now :D
TwitteR: @NeverExpo follow me, i'll follow back :)
acrimoneyius
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States983 Posts
October 19 2010 02:40 GMT
#4
His TvZ games are really fun to watch, and I like the logic behind his build.
avilo
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States4100 Posts
October 19 2010 02:45 GMT
#5
this build isn't new...
Sup
Holcan
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2593 Posts
October 19 2010 02:49 GMT
#6
On October 19 2010 11:45 avilo wrote:
this build isn't new...



No one claimed it was.
Reference The Inadvertant Joey, Strong talented orchastrasted intelligent character.
Pokebunny
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States10654 Posts
October 19 2010 02:51 GMT
#7
Nice interview. I'm interested in learning more about his build, if he cares.
Semipro Terran player | Pokebunny#1710 | twitter.com/Pokebunny | twitch.tv/Pokebunny | facebook.com/PokebunnySC
Kvz
Profile Joined March 2010
United States463 Posts
October 19 2010 03:05 GMT
#8
Mihai (ahhboxxah) is one of the best players i know and his TvZ is ridiculously solid. It comes from the fact that hes constantly pressuring you while getting rid of your creep tumors and dropping you while keeping tabs on your army count. I'm literally like 10-20% win rate against him when we practice :[.

Great interview by the way
NrG.Kvz
Inkarnate
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada840 Posts
October 19 2010 03:56 GMT
#9
On October 19 2010 11:09 Vincere wrote:

Game 1 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247854 (failed baneling bust ends this game early)
Game 2 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247854
Game 3 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10248332



You linked the same game for Game 1 and Game 2
Twistacles
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1327 Posts
October 19 2010 04:22 GMT
#10
I saw AhhBoxxer at LanETS. He killed everybody in his pool except my friend, who bling busted him

He was known as the '300 apm guy' at the LAN.
"If you don't give a shit which gum you buy, get stride" - Tyler
NrG.NeverExpo
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada2114 Posts
October 19 2010 04:29 GMT
#11
On October 19 2010 12:56 Inkarnate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 19 2010 11:09 Vincere wrote:

Game 1 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247854 (failed baneling bust ends this game early)
Game 2 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10247854
Game 3 Finals US CraftCup: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10248332



You linked the same game for Game 1 and Game 2

Musta been a mistake, here is the 3 game set: http://teamnrg.vacau.com/index.php?site=files&file=10
TwitteR: @NeverExpo follow me, i'll follow back :)
Vincere
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States298 Posts
October 19 2010 10:24 GMT
#12
Fixed the link for Game 2.

Also added Replay against Catz. (even though the page seems to be down right now :-( )
dthree
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia150 Posts
October 19 2010 10:32 GMT
#13
I really like this build too, very popular amongst korean terran players and oGsTheStC is particularly good at executing it.
D1sturbance
Profile Joined July 2010
United States30 Posts
November 02 2010 16:36 GMT
#14
I had a lot of fun playing against him and was pretty much overwhelmed. Guy is certainly on a different skill level than myself. I hope he continues to play well and wish him the best of luck.
teko
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada1197 Posts
November 02 2010 17:06 GMT
#15
If this guy's really good, how come we don't see him in major tournaments? Will he be in MLG Dallas?
LuckyFool
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States9015 Posts
November 02 2010 17:10 GMT
#16
he just doesn't play much in major tournaments and yes he will be at MLG Dallas.
AnodyneSea
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Jamaica757 Posts
November 02 2010 17:17 GMT
#17
On November 03 2010 02:06 teko wrote:
If this guy's really good, how come we don't see him in major tournaments? Will he be in MLG Dallas?


This guy is really good he all killed EG like last week. Pretty awesome hope to see more of him(especially tournaments like MLG)
Lost within the hope of freedom, not for control but in the light of our cause
Endorsed
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands1221 Posts
November 02 2010 17:19 GMT
#18
Sounds like what Foxer does in TvZ
Vincere
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States298 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-02 18:20:29
November 02 2010 18:17 GMT
#19
Yea, just saw the fauxer game, and don't think I forgot about the replay pack, AhhBoxxah wants to wait until after MLG Dallas to release his replay pack. I'm very curious to see how he does.

Edit: typos
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
November 02 2010 18:20 GMT
#20
On October 19 2010 13:22 Twistacles wrote:
I saw AhhBoxxer at LanETS. He killed everybody in his pool except my friend, who bling busted him

He was known as the '300 apm guy' at the LAN.


Yeah, pretty crazy player to watch :D
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 4012
Horang2 302
Hyuk 263
Shinee 90
Hyun 74
Hm[arnc] 72
ggaemo 61
Killer 53
sorry 50
Snow 43
[ Show more ]
Bale 34
Bonyth 28
JYJ 13
League of Legends
JimRising 594
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King78
Other Games
summit1g9026
singsing525
ArmadaUGS74
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick732
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream198
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 34
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2385
League of Legends
• Lourlo1516
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 12m
INu's Battles
3h 12m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 12m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 12m
Replay Cast
14h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.