• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:44
CEST 02:44
KST 09:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10139 users

Competitive Pokemon

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-30 21:46:54
June 28 2010 03:01 GMT
#1
Alright, I know you guys are out there from this thread. And in an effort to not shit on that thread, I made this.

Yes, to many people, Pokemon was a childish thing that is now only good for the nostalgia. But there is a secret other dimension to it. There are many Pokemen out there (about six thousand I think?) of which you choose six and their moves/set their stats and go for it. I'm sure a lot of people, when they played, would go with as many heavy hitting attacks as they possibly could and called it a day. This worked fine vs the Elite Four.

But competitive Pokemon is a whole different game. It is a game of prediction. Are they going to use Earthquake? I should switch to a flying type. Are they gonna switch their guy? I should use a set up move and try to up my stats. These are the things to think about in this game.

Since I know there's at least a handful of people here on TL that already have experience with competitive pokemon and that it is something that those who haven't experienced might enjoy, I felt people should at least know about it and have a spot to discuss it. Simulators allow you to set your guys rather than going through like hundreds of hours to train them how you want.

The current standard simulator (I think anyway) is Shoddy Battle.

The ultimate source for all your Pokemon needs (like the TL of Pokemon) is Smogon University.

Good luck and have fun.

Post who your username on Shoddy here and I'll add it to the list

TLers on Shoddy:
+ Show Spoiler +
TL Name - Shoddy Name
Bibbit - Jaedong
Kenpachi - Tyrant Melody
seRapH - mkseRapH
synapse - synapsii
Lzlude - Izlude262
Kpyolysis32 - Kpyolysis32
LolnoobInsanity - sonofashrub

LegendaryDreams
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada1350 Posts
June 28 2010 03:09 GMT
#2
Pokemon Online is a great simulator as well. It just came out a month ago. Many people prefer it to shoddy battle.

http://www.pokemon-online.eu/
call me moxie
BlackMagister
Profile Joined October 2008
United States5834 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-28 03:20:37
June 28 2010 03:15 GMT
#3
I have problems with wifi so I can't battle online at my house and time constraints prevent me from raising a team along with the fact I've only bought DS pokemon game recently. Though I do enjoy occasionally watching a narrated wifi battle.

TheKillerNacho being my favorite online battler I've found so far
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheKillerNacho

mtgxerxes is also pretty good
http://www.youtube.com/user/mtgxerxes

I've subscribed to Pixie's channel more out of amazement that a girl plays with such rampant enthusiasm for the game
http://www.youtube.com/user/MMLFrostypixie

Competitive pokemon has a lot of unique tactics not present in the standard story mainly the opponent will actually switch making entry hazard moves (that hurt pokemon that switch in) more effective. This also means more prediction is required which can also be described as luck. Certainly in pokemon there is a bigger element of luck than other games at the competitive level, but it's still fun to watch if your a pokemon fan.
Bibbit
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada5377 Posts
June 28 2010 03:38 GMT
#4
On June 28 2010 12:09 LegendaryDreams wrote:
Pokemon Online is a great simulator as well. It just came out a month ago. Many people prefer it to shoddy battle.

http://www.pokemon-online.eu/


Well we dont want to divide whatever TL community we manage to form so we definitely need to come to a consensus over which one. :/
FraCuS
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1072 Posts
June 28 2010 03:51 GMT
#5
:[! i used to go pro with pokemon lol.

i used to stay up all night and ev train my pokemons.

i stopped when i traded in platinum lol
Apink/Girl's Day/miss A/IU/Crayon Pop/Sistar/Exo K :D l Kpop and Kdrama Enthusiast
Onlinejaguar
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia2823 Posts
June 28 2010 04:02 GMT
#6
I had no idea pokemon was a competitive game. lol.
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
June 28 2010 04:14 GMT
#7
I used to play pokemon competitively. I had a pretty good record on netbattle, and then spent 300+ hours getting my team on gba. Before I entered any tournies with it, D/P came out and I was like fuck. I might restart competitive pokemon again.
Umbrella
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Taiwan936 Posts
June 28 2010 04:21 GMT
#8
I've participated in some Smogon wifi tourneys. From what I can remember, I got a 1st and 2nd place.

To be honest, most wifi battlers are pretty bad, including those youtube players. You've gotta play on shoddy to actually improve and have serious battles.
FraCuS
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1072 Posts
June 28 2010 04:28 GMT
#9
On June 28 2010 13:21 Umbrella wrote:
I've participated in some Smogon wifi tourneys. From what I can remember, I got a 1st and 2nd place.

To be honest, most wifi battlers are pretty bad, including those youtube players. You've gotta play on shoddy to actually improve and have serious battles.



yeah thats true.
Apink/Girl's Day/miss A/IU/Crayon Pop/Sistar/Exo K :D l Kpop and Kdrama Enthusiast
Izlude
Profile Joined December 2009
Canada8 Posts
June 28 2010 04:31 GMT
#10
If anyone wants some friendly battles hit me up on shoddy battle. Currently using the name Izlude262, I peaked 1700 CRE during the garchomp era, and still play for fun.
AleC
Profile Joined December 2009
332 Posts
June 28 2010 04:34 GMT
#11
Damn I remember when competitive pokemon used to be you sitting down with a few friends. O.o

Anyways, does anyone know how I can get started with this competitive-ness?
And do I need to have an action replay or any of that crap?
Shatter
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1401 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-28 04:50:39
June 28 2010 04:50 GMT
#12
I remember finding out about competitive pokemon and being surprised. There are some interesting tactics and a lot of customization in choosing moves and pokemon though. But ya, Smogon will teach you a ton of stuff and Shoddy is the best for practicing.
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
June 28 2010 05:26 GMT
#13
so which simulator has the most people? ill go with that one cuz thats fun!
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
KnightOfNi
Profile Joined December 2007
United States1508 Posts
June 28 2010 05:34 GMT
#14
FTW

I enjoy randomizing the dex and EV/IV training something random in platinum... already have a lvl 100 EV/IV trained floatzel (and its AWESOME), now working on finding a 31 sp att IV houndour... been through about 60 eggs and still nothing ...
RIP eSTRO :(
hi19hi19
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States163 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-28 05:51:56
June 28 2010 05:47 GMT
#15
http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/

Start here. Just click on some stuff like your favorite pokemon and start reading the strategies. You'll very quickly get a grip of basic vocab and stuff.
If you need help with some terms (what the hell is a "phazer"?) this page is nice: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Metagame

Like any competitive game with characters that have differences, Pokemon has its own set of tiers. Competition is devided into Ubers (anything goes), Overused (OU, which bars only the most broken pocket monsters found in ubers), Underused (UU, bars OU pokes), and Never Used (NU, bars UU and up). There's other ladders, like Little Cup (lvl 5 unevolved pokemon) and dual battles.

If you're lost like I was about all the new moves and pokemons introduced since <insert when you last played>, the best resource hands down is Bulbapedia. You can also reaserch the nerdery that is IVs and EVs on this site.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page
(Bulbapedia has been going down frequently lately, don't be surprised by an error)

http://www.smogon.com/dp/buildteam/
The smogon online team builder lets you paste together a team using movesets from their strategy guide, and download it to Shoddy.

Currently I'm dicking around with a joke team that has a Luvdisc with Toxic/Protect/Dive/Sweet Kiss, Acupressure Shuckle w/quake and rock slide, Spinda as my Wish passer, along with a whole bunch of other useless pokemon. Fun to see people's reactions, even though I lose all the time
I'm still learning all the new moves, someone used Aqua Ring today and I wtf'd, turns out it's a baton-passable leftovers effect ?_?
Another thing that's hard to get used to is the Choice Items. The strategies behind them are still totally foreign to me...




p.s. Chill don't go to Smogon they abuse the word "metagame" all the time. It's really annoying!
FuRong
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand3089 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-28 06:32:40
June 28 2010 06:30 GMT
#16
I played competitively back in the days of Gold and Silver (yes that was a long time ago), but then I moved into playing the TCG and kind of stopped battling. The only reason I even know half of them past about 350 is because of the TCG...

I have no idea what the metagame is nowadays, but it's definitely a deep, strategic and highly competitive game, at least much more so than lots of people who dismiss it as a "kids game" think.

Pokemon FTW
Don't hate the player, hate the game
sSoda
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States95 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-28 06:46:53
June 28 2010 06:43 GMT
#17
I used to play pokemon competitively a lot. I recently stopped to start getting into SC. I suggest joining a clan if you are good because they are a lot of fun and clan wars can be pretty entertaining. If anyone wants to battle for lolz then pm me I guess. I'm new to this site for the most part so yea.

I used to be quite good. Placing high in Magnitude's tournament as well as TheKillerNacho's monocolor tournament, which was a lot of fun. I suggest not playing standard a lot because lower tiers like UU and NU are a lot more fun. Monocolor being my favorite haha. I used to do a lot of commentaries against some well known players. I ended in the clan DA, which has people like mmlfrostypixie, mooty, 2betheman, Uutton and became kind of known in the pokemon community. I don't suggest joining DA because they like to neglect new members though. If you have any questions about competitive pokemon, well mostly the clan aspect because I'm not the best battler out there.

Also my youtube if you want to see any of my commentaries. I haven't done any in a while and but I also did CoD commentaries because I was into MLG and on rainbow six vegas I was a semi pro. Not much to brag about though haha.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sSodaGames
Archaeo
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States397 Posts
June 28 2010 06:43 GMT
#18
I started to play competitively when Diamond and Pearl were released. Before that I never knew of the competitive scene until I found some stuff on youtube. It's really fun if you have a smart opponent. But, there are some seriously BM people out there that d/c and blame it on you or give seriously lame excuses. It's kind of hard to find the right people.
Yo my chingu!!!
hi19hi19
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States163 Posts
June 28 2010 06:55 GMT
#19
On June 28 2010 15:43 Kororo wrote:
But, there are some seriously BM people out there that d/c and blame it on you or give seriously lame excuses. It's kind of hard to find the right people.

The same could be said of Bnet lol
Just get a good community of mannered people. That's (in theory) what this thread is for- finding manner pokemon battles with TL people :D
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
June 28 2010 06:56 GMT
#20
i played netbattle a few years ago, i read online about competitive shit but i never did anything other than the online simulators in that regard. The gba stuff takes waaay too long and i never had any1 to play against either.

i keep feeling like i want to go back and play pokemon (nostalgia i guess) but whenever i get around to actually getting out my gba and starting up a game, i remember how ridiculously easy it is now, and stop playing after a few mins
aka DragOn[NaS]
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings59
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE149
ProTech134
SpeCial 88
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14193
Artosis 581
PianO 43
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
canceldota138
League of Legends
Doublelift4146
Counter-Strike
taco 105
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox227
AZ_Axe115
Other Games
summit1g5645
shahzam608
Day[9].tv593
C9.Mang0350
Maynarde160
Trikslyr70
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV182
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP50
• StrangeGG 47
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv593
Upcoming Events
OSC
22h 16m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 9h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.