• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:59
CEST 18:59
KST 01:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)58Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7951 users

Worker splitting: Does it really matter?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 15:48:51
June 02 2010 18:13 GMT
#1
Edited because people don't read past the OP.

I didn't see a thread on this, at least not with real data, so here it is:

Using QXC's build tester, I very carefully tested whether splitting actually makes a difference. I assumed it would make some small difference (as I think most people assume), but I was wrong. I tested 3 split methods. One method is to have no split, to simply send all 6 workers to mine one patch. One method is the half split, to send all 6 workers to one patch, then quickly select 3 and send them to a different patch. The final method tested is the one I use in real games, to quickly press f1 (select idle worker) and right click an individual mineral patch, to send each worker to its own patch. I also tested whether it matters if you build the first worker before or after sending the starting ones to gather.

I used Protoss in every trial, but the race should have no affect what so ever, because no supply buildings are produced.

The rally point was the same at all times for all trials. I made sure I restarted if I misclicked at all, so that each trial would be within an infinitesimally small margin of error. No chrono boost is used, because the way you split has no effect on your chrono boosts, and it would just add another margin of error.

The effectiveness of each split is measured by the number of minerals at the 1 minute and 2 minute marks.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]Original article

If the tables look identical, they should, because they are. That is no exaggeration, it's real data I carefully recorded from in-game tests.

Yes, 1 and 2 minutes aren't very far into the game, so maybe the difference could pan out later, but really, considering how precisely equal each method is, I don't think the split would ever have any affect on any game. If you aren't seeing even a single extra 5 mineral return after 2 minutes into the game, I don't think you'll ever get an advantage large enough to account for even a single unit at any point through a game.

Thoughts?

edit: Kletus ran some tests of his own:
+ Show Spoiler +
On June 03 2010 07:34 Kletus wrote:
Okay, a couple of things to note:

i) Speed was slowest throughout the whole 1min timer; the timer I used was real-time supplied by the build order tester map VERSION 2.3.

ii) This was timed to the second. By that I mean I stopped looking at the minerals once I saw 1:00 so if an scv was JUST about to put in minerals, he gets cut.

iii) Race used was terran.

iv) For F1 split, I started the split from 6th patch from the bottom. Then just clicked down each patch. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

Also, I have noticed a pattern with the F1 selection AI and it can probably be done even more efficiently than just clicking down a line; will investigate this later.

v) For half split, I split the scvs to the patches 2nd from the top and 2nd from the bottom. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

vi) For no split, I simply took all my scvs and right-clicked the fifth patch from the bottom, which is the closest and most centered patch on the beta tester map. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

These are my findings:

Minerals @ 1min
[image loading]

The difference between half and none is truly negligible.
The difference between F1 and the rest is maybe a couple of milliseconds, just enough for one scv to finish his trip.



So there is a difference 40 seconds in, but this difference does not increase over time. So essentially, you get those 5 minerals with a perfect f1 split milliseconds sooner than without, but there is no exponential increase, so you won't see that difference in the 1 min or 2 min results.

Also, some people have mentioned (and I've stated myself) that the map matters. Some maps have obviously split mineral patches that will benefit from worker splits, especially if patches are optimized on the edges and not the middle where you would click for a no-split.

Btw, this thread has nothing to do with BW, or whether or not this is a good thing, it's just about data. I don't think that "requiring" splitting was at all a bad thing for BW, and I also don't think it's at all necessary for SC2, it's something you'll only do once a game, and it just is what it is.
G3nXsiS
Profile Joined July 2009
United States656 Posts
June 02 2010 18:16 GMT
#2
Hmm perhaps its just a .5 second difference but I guess to some people it matters. For me I would still stick with the half split, although this is indeed very interesting and I thank you for your efforts.
Hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment
Arrian
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States889 Posts
June 02 2010 18:16 GMT
#3
if this is indeed true it's depressing
Writersator arepo tenet opera rotas
Tone_
Profile Joined May 2009
United Kingdom554 Posts
June 02 2010 18:19 GMT
#4
If the split is fast enough (maybe the key component) it must make a different. Just logically?
Hasta La Victoria Siempre | 톤
zealing
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada806 Posts
June 02 2010 18:19 GMT
#5
if i que a scv, send all my scv's to one mineral (no micro) then the first scv will pop by the time i can que another, losing time. if i micro 2 of the scv's to go to seperate patches then i can que a 2nd scv just mila seconds before the first pops.

Does it really matter? well i donno, does winning matter?
Think you got lag? It took Jesus 3 days to respawn.
woolly
Profile Joined May 2010
United States56 Posts
June 02 2010 18:21 GMT
#6
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
June 02 2010 18:22 GMT
#7
i've always wondered about this and cool to see some numbers.

Dunno if the result surprised me but nice to see this on paper.
Satallgeese
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States239 Posts
June 02 2010 18:23 GMT
#8
On June 03 2010 03:16 Arrian wrote:
if this is indeed true it's depressing

I agree, this is kind of depressing, especially because I already spent three or four days practicing my splits... Well, I'm sticking to it then! If nothing, it at least keeps the hands warm.
A good player practices until he gets it right. A great player practices until he can't get it wrong.
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
June 02 2010 18:24 GMT
#9
On June 03 2010 03:19 Tone_ wrote:
If the split is fast enough (maybe the key component) it must make a different. Just logically?

Logically I would assume it would make some difference, especially with the F1 split, since, if you did it inhumanly quickly, you could instantly send all of them at the same time, so there is no wasted time what so ever.

However, it seems that, even when you save a few milliseconds in the very beginning of the game, it doesn't really pan out into anything significant down the road.

I actually got into the very precise split testing in the above method because I was already testing splits in how quickly I can get a 13 gate up. Every single time, no matter how I split, (and interestingly, even if I did an 8 pylon instead of 9 pylon), my gateway would throw down at 1min 14sec. I did use a precise methodology for that as well, with my rally and the exact timing I would move the probe to prepare to build pylon/gate. But yeah, point is, it's a bit surprising, but it seems the split has no affect on the game.
CubEdIn
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Romania5359 Posts
June 02 2010 18:25 GMT
#10
I was actually thinking about this a while ago, it seemed that trying to split them better sometimes made it worse (like miss-clicking and having them not mine for 1 second or so). It's sad though, I wish it would make a difference.
Im not a n00b, I just play like one.
Krowser
Profile Joined August 2007
Canada788 Posts
June 02 2010 18:26 GMT
#11
This means I now have a few more seconds to appreciate the nice graphics of this game instead of spending more time destroying my mouse.

Sweet!!
D3 and Pho, the way to go. http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=340709
Takkara
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2503 Posts
June 02 2010 18:27 GMT
#12
If a difference hasn't shown up after 1 min or 2 min it's probably not going to show up ever. If the numbers are identical at all data points, then they'll just be identical. I'm just surprised the numbers came out the same even though it's hard to get the same split each time.

If this is true though, then it's detrimental to do a split. There's the ever so small chance you mess up the split and miss clicking on the mineral line. The only purpose to do it would be to just get an early APM trial.
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
Slow Motion
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6960 Posts
June 02 2010 18:29 GMT
#13
Thanks for this data! I've been using the half split, but have noticed that it's as fast as when I don't split. Plus the greater chance for miss clicks when splitting makes splitting not very good. So many times I thought I clicked the minerals but actually got the ground next to it.
mOnion
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 18:29:35
June 02 2010 18:29 GMT
#14
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.
☆★☆ 7486!!! Join the Ban mOnion Anti-Trolling Initiative! - Caller | "on a scale of machine to 10, how bad is that Zerg?" - LZgamer | you are the new tl.net bonjwa monion, congrats - Rekrul | "Cheeseburgers dynamite lilacs" - Chill
Stagger Lee
Profile Joined May 2010
United States29 Posts
June 02 2010 18:29 GMT
#15
Awesome effort!! Thanks for this!
bITt.mAN
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Switzerland3700 Posts
June 02 2010 18:29 GMT
#16
As a science major, I must examine your experimental method. How many trials of each method did you do? (Chooses to doubt and fight the results than accept them as they are depressing)
BW4LYF . . . . . . PM me, I LOVE PMs. . . . . . Long live "NaDa's Body" . . . . . . Fantasy | Bisu/Best | Jaedong . . . . .
Kambo_Rambo
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia79 Posts
June 02 2010 18:31 GMT
#17
This is probably because the workers are automatically split into their mineral field. Back in BW a worker would just move onto the next mineral, check if its in use, if it is then move again, else, mine.
You require more vespene minerals?
Backpack
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1776 Posts
June 02 2010 18:31 GMT
#18
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.

It is fantastic!

I love how more new players are finally getting to play the game! Good job blizzard
"You people need to just generally care a lot less about everything." -Zatic
woolly
Profile Joined May 2010
United States56 Posts
June 02 2010 18:32 GMT
#19
On June 03 2010 03:19 zealing wrote:
Does it really matter? well i donno, does winning matter?


Your rhetorical question indicates that those precious early milliseconds make the difference in winning which infers that you must execute the rest of your game to flawless perfection.

I would argue that any millisecond advantage is going to be negligible considering how how thousands of other factors play out during the course of a game.
gobrin
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada96 Posts
June 02 2010 18:36 GMT
#20
well, at least it still looks cool when you do a nice split.
1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1155
ComeBackTV 843
SteadfastSC754
TaKeTV 499
IndyStarCraft 206
Rex133
EnkiAlexander 71
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 754
IndyStarCraft 206
ProTech155
Rex 133
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45328
Shuttle 689
Mini 427
Larva 398
Rush 378
BeSt 184
Hyuk 111
Dewaltoss 94
firebathero 78
Mong 64
[ Show more ]
Sexy 29
ToSsGirL 27
Trap 26
Bale 19
Rock 16
Shine 13
Sacsri 13
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
Gorgc9084
qojqva1826
Counter-Strike
fl0m1278
Fnx 792
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1421
Khaldor1209
Other Games
hiko1426
FrodaN1201
DeMusliM396
XBOCT191
Livibee177
ArmadaUGS165
Beastyqt145
XaKoH 118
KnowMe116
C9.Mang092
QueenE80
Mew2King77
CosmosSc2 12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV269
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream77
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH288
• poizon28 40
• StrangeGG 39
• Hinosc 25
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 9
• FirePhoenix5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3935
Other Games
• Shiphtur362
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 1m
CranKy Ducklings
17h 1m
Online Event
18h 1m
FEL
23h 1m
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.