• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:07
CEST 05:07
KST 12:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6795 users

Worker splitting: Does it really matter? - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
June 02 2010 18:36 GMT
#21
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.



From what I remember, you can't call other people bad players.

The split mattered in SC1, I guess it isn't as vital now as it was back then... Oh well, just one little thing we won't have to worry about. I did like the splitting in sc1 though, I was good at it and it made me feel good
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Arrian
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States889 Posts
June 02 2010 18:36 GMT
#22
On June 03 2010 03:31 Backpack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.

It is fantastic!

I love how more new players are finally getting to play the game! Good job blizzard


I wouldn't go as far as mOnion, but this isn't a good thing.

I'm not a fan of arbitrary difficult tasks to increase skill ceiling, but this isn't arbitrary. The split was a measure of skill as much as it was of practice. When good players aren't rewarded for practice OR skill, then there's a problem with the game.

Fortunately this is just an aspect rather than the entire game, so somebody who has practiced will probably still crush somebody who doesn't, but I really don't think this is something to celebrate.
Writersator arepo tenet opera rotas
woolly
Profile Joined May 2010
United States56 Posts
June 02 2010 18:37 GMT
#23
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.


I'm sorry you've dedicated so much of your life learning how to split probes in order to get a very slight economic advantage in a competitive video game. Get well soon!
Slow Motion
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6960 Posts
June 02 2010 18:37 GMT
#24
Worker split itself was essential in BW, but once you got it down you basically had it perfect and was as good as Jaedong. What's the point of making people do this once in a game mechanic? I understand making macro harder, but there you can differentiate between the macro of Best vs. another progamer. No one has "perfect" macro and it's a good way to see differentiation in skill.

Worker split you do once a game, and when you get it down you're as good at it as any progamer. So removing the need to split doesn't hurt the game at all. The guy who can't split is still presumably less fast and precise than you, and that will pan out later in the game in actual important gameplay features.
Stition
Profile Joined April 2010
United States19 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 18:42:08
June 02 2010 18:38 GMT
#25
did you pause the game at the beginning, send to each patch 1 probe and then unpause, AND that gave you the same minerals as sending to 1 patch? I find that difficult to believe, as you can get different minerals gathered just by having good choice of which patches to mine (better to have 2 probes mining a good close patch that 1 on good and 1 on far away).
edit: pretty sure the information posted in invalid if I'm reading it correctly. That is that there is no difference if you're good enough to send each probe to a different close patch in the beginning and sending all probes to a bad patch. And just the fact that not all patches mine at the same rate (they have different distances to the base) makes me even more suspicious.
accaris
Profile Joined May 2010
98 Posts
June 02 2010 18:40 GMT
#26
Wouldn't buying a nice laser mouse have the same effect (if there was an effect) by reducing input lag?
rredtooth
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
5464 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 18:43:01
June 02 2010 18:42 GMT
#27
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.
what an elitist and hypocritical post. seriously. what about you "moving up the ranks" due to MBS? i'm sure you didn't have perfect macro that could compete with high level koreans. i'm sure they think the same about you and the pathetic blessing you received from Blizzard.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.
[formerly sponsored by the artist formerly known as Gene]
Actinium
Profile Joined April 2010
United States13 Posts
June 02 2010 18:44 GMT
#28
Shouldn't the fact the worker moves in a straight line to the minerals with a split and not the 'L' shape of an autosplit count for a few fractions of a second each? Maybe it's a matter of apm but I'd think it must. Try redoing the experiment at the slowest game speed to reduce all possible influences on your data. And how about the difference between rallying to empty patches with your first couple workers rather then just at a patch in the middle and letting them autosplit again?
The_Piper42
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States426 Posts
June 02 2010 18:45 GMT
#29
I think the actual value of a split is to establish a good mentality. If I do a perfect split my build timings invariably seem to fall into place. I know this is rough science, but I honestly think that splitting effectively is a morale boost to your early game attention.
Boxer, White-Ra, Grubby, Flash fighting!
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
June 02 2010 18:46 GMT
#30
According to Nony, a proper 3-3 split on Steppes of War is the greatest of delights. No need for economical advantage when you just made your day a great day.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
gdroxor
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States639 Posts
June 02 2010 18:49 GMT
#31
I find that if I execute a split perfectly, build a probe and do an immaculate 3/3 split, then there is either like a 1 second wait or no wait between my 9th and 10th probe after I build a pylon on 9.
johnlee
Profile Joined June 2009
United States242 Posts
June 02 2010 18:50 GMT
#32
.... Well...... disappointing but interesting.

Good work on the data. Still a bit difficult to believe that a PERFECT split yields no advantage at all...

Would this be the same for BW?
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
June 02 2010 18:51 GMT
#33
I'm kind of surprised there's not like 15 or 20 extra minerals after two minutes but only midly so. Even before these results I always doubted that saving at the most one second of time by splitting the works would matter at all. Maybe if someone was gosu fast he could have more minerals with a certain kind of split sending certain workers to closer patches but there's room for error and I don't think the risk is worth the reward.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
June 02 2010 18:52 GMT
#34
Even if it does, I don't care enough to do it. There probably is a small advantage over a very long period of time, but I doubt it matters much at all
Life is Good.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
June 02 2010 18:53 GMT
#35
Yeah I'm a bit skeptical as to the results of this test. I'd like some extra details, or even better, video evidence. Splitting properly marks the difference between me ordering a second SCV just before the first one finishes (no production downtime) or just afterward.
Moderator
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
June 02 2010 18:53 GMT
#36
I encourage everyone to test it themselves if they doubt the data, really. I'm sure I did it imperfectly. I wouldn't have even posted about this, because I wasn't really trying to be scientifically perfect, except the results were precisely equal for all trials, so it seemed significant enough to share. I just wanted a general idea if I should care or not, and now I have one.

I didn't do an equal number of trials for each method (lol), but it was more than 10 for each.

Again, I encourage everyone to test it themselves. I'd rather be wrong. I feel like splitting should matter to some degree. Also I want a reason to keep doing the super awesome f1 split.
Snowfield
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1289 Posts
June 02 2010 18:54 GMT
#37
Idk, when i don't split workers they tend to harvest from behind minerals and stuff, are you sure this is right? lol
Backpack
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1776 Posts
June 02 2010 18:56 GMT
#38
On June 03 2010 03:36 Arrian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:31 Backpack wrote:
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.

It is fantastic!

I love how more new players are finally getting to play the game! Good job blizzard


I wouldn't go as far as mOnion, but this isn't a good thing.

I'm not a fan of arbitrary difficult tasks to increase skill ceiling, but this isn't arbitrary. The split was a measure of skill as much as it was of practice. When good players aren't rewarded for practice OR skill, then there's a problem with the game.

Fortunately this is just an aspect rather than the entire game, so somebody who has practiced will probably still crush somebody who doesn't, but I really don't think this is something to celebrate.


I was just messing with his negative attitude

I honestly don't mind as I've gotten used to doing a 3-3 split anyway, but I don't think it will matter. Not that I want to bring this up again, but auto split/mine and MBS are only expanding the player base. It isn't really going to make a difference in the higher levels of play
"You people need to just generally care a lot less about everything." -Zatic
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
June 02 2010 18:59 GMT
#39
Depends on how well you can split. If you split well you can make your next worker before your first worker is finish. Not the case with AI split. Also makes you feel gosu
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
June 02 2010 19:00 GMT
#40
Also keep in mind this was tested on QXC's build tester map, so that affects the mineral patch positioning. The rally point was set to the patch fourth from the top. With no split, workers were sent to the mineral patch fourth from the top. With the f1 split, each mineral was selected from top to bottom. With the half split, the workers were first sent to fifth from top, then half were sent to second from top.

Again, if I misclicked or felt I did it slowly/sloppily, I just restarted and tried again.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 213
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17099
Rain 1494
GuemChi 565
NaDa 28
Bale 19
sSak 17
Dota 2
monkeys_forever469
NeuroSwarm209
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7600
taco 597
minikerr42
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1049
Mew2King96
Other Games
JimRising 622
WinterStarcraft547
C9.Mang0177
ViBE121
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1015
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 171
• davetesta27
• Letter146
• Light_VIP 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo482
• Stunt307
Other Games
• Scarra883
• Shiphtur504
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 53m
INu's Battles
7h 53m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 53m
OSC
19h 8m
Replay Cast
19h 53m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.