• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:08
CEST 05:08
KST 12:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8182 users

Worker splitting: Does it really matter? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16 17 Next All
Bob300
Profile Joined April 2010
United States505 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 19:28:15
June 02 2010 19:27 GMT
#61
I always thought Splitting always made a difference, well i guess maybe not.
PS: In Brood War it mattered a lot more!
NYC Suburbs --- College Freshman --- Season 1 - Drone Whiskey
Snowfield
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1289 Posts
June 02 2010 19:28 GMT
#62
It never adds up, its going to be .5 forever, since you only do it once .)
virgozero
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada412 Posts
June 02 2010 19:30 GMT
#63
honestly splitting DOES NOT MATTER.
People in the first 7minutes of the game generally have perfect macro and precise build orders and timings.
The moment some harass comes or some sorta action happens, ALL TIMINGS go out the window.
I watch even pro players like whitera nony tlo and even then at times their minerals get a lil higher than they could be. Sometimes gateways are left out and forgotten to warp into warp gates.
etc etc

So seriously, what matters is your AVERAGE macro THROUGHOUT the game not a simple 0.5second initial fancy split boost.

I mean if you watch Idra, the reason why hes so kickass is because throughout the game you never (unless intended) see his minerals shoot above 400 even with 3 bases and all the harass and everything going on.

Intro Timings and buildorders are heavily over rated, what matters is you being able to keep the macro up.
virgozero
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada412 Posts
June 02 2010 19:31 GMT
#64
On June 03 2010 04:28 Snowfield wrote:
It never adds up, its going to be .5 forever, since you only do it once .)


sigh no it doesn't, but im too lazy to explain the exponential gain.
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
June 02 2010 19:32 GMT
#65
Interesting. I just did the half split, no split, and f1 split about 10 times each and I've noticed f1 split is the best.

With the no split, you MIGHT be behind a millisecond or so because the AI doesn't always split the workers to the nearest patch. As in, one instance they would split themselves perfectly and i would still make another worker on time but in another instance one would go to a far patch for some reason, thus losing time against cheese!

The same goes for half split although it occurs less frequently because you usually halfsplit to opposite sides.

The f1 split is great, I can consistently make an scv 2-3milliseconds before the first one spawns due to all the scvs being controlled and told where to go.

I used to do half split before this, but now I'll use f1. Thanks!
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
neohero9
Profile Joined May 2010
United States595 Posts
June 02 2010 19:33 GMT
#66
On June 03 2010 03:32 woolly wrote:
Your rhetorical question indicates that those precious early milliseconds make the difference in winning which infers implies that you must execute the rest of your game to flawless perfection.


Statements imply.
People infer.
I cannot stand ignorance or dismissiveness. I edit every post I make-- I've edited this sig three times in an hour.
Ballistixz
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1269 Posts
June 02 2010 19:36 GMT
#67
the game auto splits FOR YOU. of course it doesnt matter -_-. ppl that do split is just trying to separate themselves from the "bad players" when in reality it doesn't mean shit if u split workers at start or not.
BigDatez
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada434 Posts
June 02 2010 19:37 GMT
#68
I'm sticking with my 6-3 split thank you =) Everyone's hands move at different paces, so there may be differences depending if you reacted slower one time compared to the other
Video games > sex (Proven fact)
Panoptic
Profile Joined September 2009
United Kingdom515 Posts
June 02 2010 19:39 GMT
#69
Whilst the economic gain must be totally negligible, I like to think that it's the principle that matters. I think it's fair to say that good starcraft players strive for an almost anal degree of perfection, and you have to have that attitude if you want to get good in the first place, so I think of it as a 'start as you mean to go on' kind of thing.
"Crom laughs at your four winds!"
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
June 02 2010 19:41 GMT
#70
Why do people put so much emphasis on splitting? I see this as a streamlining thing if anything. I know that in this community, a lot of people are such fans of BW that any change WHATSOEVER invokes immediate uncontrollable nerdrage, but still: streamlining the split just lets you focus on other things.
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
June 02 2010 19:44 GMT
#71
Unless you play at a very high level, then I don't see splitting being much of a factor.
Banelings are too cute to blow up
Le BucheRON
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada619 Posts
June 02 2010 19:47 GMT
#72
I understand the frustration of you experienced BW players, seeing these things you are very good at (after loads of practice) become obsolete, but I'm sure that's how a lot of people feel, outside of Starcraft when the things they are involved in become obsolete (Think Aboriginal bowmen when rifles were introduced.)
I had an acquaintance in grade school who wouldn't shut up about how great a speller she was. I really sucked at spelling, so I felt pretty stupid. Then word processing with spell-check came along and I realized that spelling didn't matter as much as creative thought anymore.
Was she still smarter than me? -arguably, yes
Did she do better in other areas of school than me? -absolutely

Don't worry BW vets, you're still going to be way better than us, Blizzard just doesn't want the element of the game that separates the "boys from the men" to be a mundane click fest, or the constant need to check your SCVs to make sure they aren't taking a nap next to a mineral line.
Guess who`s special?!
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 19:53:17
June 02 2010 19:50 GMT
#73
Further testing reveals that I get:
390 @ 1min with f1 CONSISTENTLY.
385 @ 1min with nosplit with optimal AI outcome.
380 @ 1min with halfsplit with optimal AI outcome.

All tests were on the build order tester map with the terran race.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
Jalex
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom35 Posts
June 02 2010 19:51 GMT
#74
I stopped worker splitting a while back, as I suspected it made no real difference. Not because I sucked and often ended up by mis-clicking and costing myself minerals.

Honest.
OrchidSky
Profile Joined May 2010
United States2 Posts
June 02 2010 19:54 GMT
#75
Aw man. And I felt so cool for splitting workers.
I drink your milkshake!
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5545 Posts
June 02 2010 19:56 GMT
#76
I think anyone who's tried both can tell you it has no real consequence. Its just nice to have continuous production.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
June 02 2010 19:56 GMT
#77
You probably need to test this on different maps. Some maps have the minerals more spread out than others (incineration zone), so clicking and auto spreading involves a bit of travel time whereas a 3/3 split minimizes this.
the UMP says YER OUT
Rkie
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1278 Posts
June 02 2010 20:03 GMT
#78
and there goes even more APM lost, if this is true
tubs
Profile Joined March 2010
764 Posts
June 02 2010 20:08 GMT
#79
I go for the perfect 3-3 or 3-2-1 split each time just because there's really nothing else to do in the first few seconds of the game. Can't say I've noticed much of a difference in income rate either versus not splitting at all. Psychologically it feels like the money comes in slightly faster, but these tests seem to prove otherwise.

Whether I goof the split up, or it ends in a 0.5 second advantage - who cares? Not like it'll make any difference in a match anyway.
"Roach dies to immortal and rockit black guy" - Tierdal.thex
Grobyc
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Canada18410 Posts
June 02 2010 20:09 GMT
#80
What about when you send 6 to one patch, quickly send 3 to separate patches, then separate those 3 as well? It's tricky to do, but surely it has to make some difference.
If you watch Godzilla backwards it's about a benevolent lizard who helps rebuild a city and then moonwalks into the ocean.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 234
NeuroSwarm 168
FoxeR 34
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3230
Leta 1555
Bale 57
Shine 18
Other Games
summit1g7059
JimRising 551
WinterStarcraft362
ViBE148
Mew2King14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick664
BasetradeTV191
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 100
• davetesta20
• Light_VIP 16
• Letter1410
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo558
Other Games
• Scarra842
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 52m
Patches Events
11h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 52m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 52m
OSC
19h 52m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.