• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:28
CEST 16:28
KST 23:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9056 users

are hotkeys really that great?

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Hautamaki
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Canada1311 Posts
April 14 2004 16:59 GMT
#1
I'm a toss user of course, so I won't speak for zerg and terran, but for me I think that hotkeys are an inferiour choice to just using your mouse and keyboard shortcuts for 90% of the common applications.

It's far easier for me to click on my minimap than it is to use an Fkey to center on my procution centers. My fingers are too short to reach the Fkeys without moving my whole arm. To do it with my mouse I only need to flick my wrist.

When it comes to actually producing units, I'd much rather click my gateways and then hit z/d/t/k than hit 1 then z then 2 then d and so on. It's way more efficient to do stuff with both hands at once than it is to let one hand sit idle while the other has to move twice as quickly to make up. Obviously, you can use both hands on your keyboard to ameliorate that problem, but is that better? Hell no, then you have to move your whole hand again, twice, there and back, and furthermore you won't have enough hotkeys to run every gate anyways past the early-mid game.

When it comes to controlling armies, you cannot use attack move shortcut when you're selecting your army with hotkeys. Again, it's a waste of hand movement, because you have to press a number then a letter then a number and so forth. It's the same problem as construction, even Progamers don't bother to attack move, they just use right click move. That has a lot of drawbacks though. You waste units and lose the first attack any time you move to a spot that you didnt know the enemy was there. Progamers are fast enough that they can retreat, but even they fuck up and lose stuff occasionally. To me, there's just no sense in it unless you have like 30+ troops that you want to move from one side of the map to the other without actually facing any of his units. How often do you have to do that? Is it worth the extra seconds you wasted setting up your hotkeys? Almost never, I say.

I think that most people use hotkeys just for the hell of it, but there isn't actually any good reason to do so 90% of the time.
True learning is not the memorization of knowledge; it is the internalization of patterns.
SoMuchBetter
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia10606 Posts
April 14 2004 17:03 GMT
#2
zerg is very different
AUSSIESCUM
TeamLiquid eSTROgeneral #1 • RIP
amat
Profile Joined October 2002
United States1788 Posts
April 14 2004 17:08 GMT
#3
With Protoss you might be able to get away without unit hotkeys, but you need them for production.

Hotkeys are definitely needed with Zerg and Terran.
Proud Mensrea No-Prize Winner. Click the Banner Ads. I would keep a lamer list, but I love you all.
rplant
Profile Joined May 2003
United States1178 Posts
April 14 2004 17:14 GMT
#4
I'd play terran a lot better if i used hotkeys instead of drag selecting everything, but it's tough to get used to.
Believing in God is like believing in a teapot orbiting Mars (Edit: wow I was a douche in 2003)
0x64
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Finland4646 Posts
April 14 2004 17:24 GMT
#5
Strange point of view,
as a protoss player, I really dont know what would I do without hotkeys, and Im sure I have yet to find a protoss that doesnt see a great advantage in using hotkeys.
The first thing that came to my mind was that when you say that its faster to just click the gate and press a button, you are missing the point of hotkeying the gates. When you select your gate, you have your screen showing your base, while you could be microing with your units the hell out of your opponent, while constantly producing, without having queued anything.

Im not sure I understand what you meant by the impossibility of using attack move combined with the use of hotkeys.
So I will just say what I do with unit hotkey that I find usefull.
First I only hotkey the units I have in front line, few goon in the begining vs terran, few corsair, few zealot whatever Im using to pressure the opponent.
Then again if im building stuff in my base, I doesnt have to go see what is attacking my goons to know the first thing I should do is fall back, and its a matter of 1 second, then you might have loss 3 goon to sieges instead of just one siege hit. Just because you had to use minimap, select goon..
Also you might right in the beggining see the importance of hotkeying in pvt, your scout probe in a terran base can survive easily even a marine if you give him constant care, but then how can you keep producing constance probe, build your base, and produce units without missing something. While microing probe I have just to press 1 2 3 and i see that 1, probe is almost done, queue another, 2, goon is soon done queue one, 3, robo is half done or whatever you can follow (could be a pylon or another gate).
Dump of assembler code from 0xffffffec to 0x64: End of assembler dump.
red.venom
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4651 Posts
April 14 2004 17:41 GMT
#6
I think this all depends on how dextrous your hands are. I find it pretty easy to hit various far-reaching combinations on the keyboard. I never take my hand off the mouse. It's all stylistic though, make whatever you use work for you.
Broom
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
April 14 2004 17:46 GMT
#7
you are sort of slow though ;p
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
amat
Profile Joined October 2002
United States1788 Posts
April 14 2004 17:47 GMT
#8
Hautamki is a talented player. I can't see how he could be better with one hand than with two, unless he has a pirate's hook for his left hand.
Proud Mensrea No-Prize Winner. Click the Banner Ads. I would keep a lamer list, but I love you all.
SpuniasauR
Profile Joined September 2003
Australia1500 Posts
April 14 2004 17:51 GMT
#9
i gotta agree with him though lately i have been downgrading my hotkeys, just one (5) to centre on gateways and then manual, 1-4 units and yeh i think its working faster for me too. 4z5z6z7z8z9z i find really annoying although it has its advantages in that u dont take ur eyes off battle.
A firebat to your Zergling.
DV8
Profile Joined December 2002
United States1623 Posts
April 14 2004 17:55 GMT
#10
Actually I used to play toss and I can pretty much agree with what you're saying, But what I did was still use ctrl groups + attack move and I keyed obs, other than that I moused everything. But now as terran if I tried that stuff I would be terribly slow.
Hautamaki
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Canada1311 Posts
April 14 2004 18:29 GMT
#11
I still use hotkeys for a lot of stuff. I hotkey shuttles and carriers of course. I also hotkey my scouting probe of course. And, I also hotkey my first 12 units, be they rushing zealots vs toss or zerg, or my first set of goons vs terran. It's the other situations that I was talking about that hotkeys are pointless in.

For example, why hotkey nexus to produce probes? You can always go back to your nexus by pressing space key. If I hotkey my nexus to 0, I never use it anyways.

Hotkey gateways to produce units in the middle of the battle? Who are you kidding? If you're building units in the middle of the battle you obviously arent controlling your units so you might as well not be looking at them either. I can click my minimap to go to my gates and select them and press the keyboard shortcut, and then press space bar to go back to the fight, than you can press 1-z 2-d 3-z 4-k etc, I guarantee it.

What's the point of hotkeying only a half or a quarter of your gates anyways? If you aren't going to use them all, why even build them? When I go to build something, I do it with all my gates.

And Wax, when you call me slow, are you referring to my low apm? APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks. I accomplish the same number of tasks as you, I just use fewer clicks because I'm not wasting time setting hotkeys and cycling through them. Personally I'd say I'm faster than you, despite having lower apm. I think the pvp games that we play, where I consistantly outharass you, bear me out on that score.

Amat I use both hands of course, in fact I use my hands far more equally than more people. I'd say that most of you are the one handed players, because you do so much more with your keyboard than you need to.
True learning is not the memorization of knowledge; it is the internalization of patterns.
0x64
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Finland4646 Posts
April 14 2004 18:49 GMT
#12
Ok that clears pretty much things out

Only one thing of my point of you, you havent figured out.
When you are ready to start a fight, or even in a middle of a fight, you dont need 100% of your time to control units, you need 100% of the time watching if everything is happening like it should.
Also when you do 1z2z3z its easy to interrupt production to do the little micro needed and then continue, but if you go to your base do 2 gate units, come back to battle, go back to your base add 2 units.. it might cost something.

You are also saying that there is no point in hotkeying half/quater of the gate, but there is... Constant production on 8 gate is usually sufficient in anygame to secure your ass, then going manually to handle production from other gate is no big deal.

I respect your playing style, it just that it really fits the need of your playing style and maybe in the end we all have our styles evolved from our control habits.

You are right also that people overuse keyboard, and overuse move, overuse a bit of anything. But there are still people out there that dont give shit about apm, and it's nice seeing sometime rep chart where the guy is averaging 130, but will have peaks at 300, when he need them, and will not fool himself by having 400 in the 3 first minutes then cant go over 100 when things start happening.
Dump of assembler code from 0xffffffec to 0x64: End of assembler dump.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-14 18:57:34
April 14 2004 18:51 GMT
#13
I hotkey my gates 4-5 - if you don't do that when you zealot rush (or a similiar combination) you will die.

I then, depending on what mood I am in, either keep keying gates up to 0 from 4. I can use it, it's great for setting rally points to where your army is currently headed. When I played the most, that would win me games. Currently I'm not playing as much and I need to get back into the habit of 4z r 5 z r etc

Hotkeying units does not negate attack move.. As long as you hotkey your units wisely they won't be running into stuff with a move, that is- don't key zealots with goons or hts, don't key shuttles with goons (when my friend does that I always cringe) etc.

The reason you don't use 0 for nexus is because you are not used to it - I used 0 for nex from game 1 or maybe 2. Same with 4 for gate. And the reason for keying 4567890 is that you CAN micro and produce, you don't want to take your eyes of the screen in case something unexpected happens (I'll admit that in the shape I am now - I do the same as you, I double tap 4 and make units from all my gates or hit space, but I was BETTER before when I didn't do that). The advantages: You'll get a constant flow of units, your cash will be close to zero, you can use that little extra time to, say, start a nexus, start an upgrade, micro that much better or storm drop somewhere.

And wax isn't exactly speed king However, I know speed - apm - means jack shit. Look at intotherain, nal_ra, garimto, Daezang etc. All, except for the new and improved nal_ra, used to be/are under 200 apm most games. Then we have wax, who can play effectively with his 100 apm, and a friend of mine who was insanely effective with his barely 100 apm, although now he has got like 150 but yeah.

Rant over.

EDIT:

I have about 200 apm or less any game I play. It's just my style, I get between 150 and 200 in most of my games, with battle peaks of 250-400 when I'm playing PvZ. I use mouse A LOT, seeing as how I'm really fast and pretty accurate with it

When I play terran, I usually just key 4 rax, maybe 5 fac, 09 scan, 1234 units. As zerg I do 123 units early on with 4567890 for hatch, I always key drops, and late game I switch to massive unit keying.

With toss and terran I always key shuttles/dships - even more than one. I should do it the pro way - they key anything they need right NOW to 1, then change around -.- Like dship will be 1 one second, a group of marines the next - or so I remember reading in an interview or something like that -.-

Oh and I use very little hotkeys in TvP, I abuse space key and never use f2 except when I have forgotten to key my nexus and can't space my way back and it's urgent.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
T_T
Profile Joined December 2003
Vatican City State593 Posts
April 14 2004 18:56 GMT
#14
retarded bs. 1a2a3a4a5a, macro during battle while you micro, quickly selecting special units with group keys, cycle through expos with f-keys... those are essentials. you'll never be a great player if you can't or won't do it.

and progamers don't bother to attack move.. wtf are you kiddin me?
0x64
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Finland4646 Posts
April 14 2004 19:08 GMT
#15
I dont think that was meant to be taken literally T_T
Dump of assembler code from 0xffffffec to 0x64: End of assembler dump.
Silverado
Profile Joined May 2003
121 Posts
April 14 2004 19:08 GMT
#16
I would say that at top level of play hotkeys actually decide games.
Like hautamaki said, that is how they can outharass you with macro suffering zero percent.

If u have unit producing buildings hotkeyed, u can focuse more o micro without using any macro time. And trust me that u can produce non stop units that way, because u never check all the time if u are producing.
And if u would want, you wold lose precious time. So with using hotkeys
u produce the same amount of troops from 4 factories as you from 6.

But later when they have more troops they always asign hotkeys to units. That is so you can micro large army. That skill is really precious.

Oh and one thing that makes up for that there are only 10 hotkeys.
Those are f2-r4 keys. U can asign those screens to expands so u check there fast to macro. Or later when u assign ur gateway hotkeys to troops u put entire screen of gateways or factories to f2-f4 hoteys.

Using minimap is just a little too slow, and u miss exact location a bit and u have to correct it. You lose that precious 2, 3 seconds during micro. And at today's level of play micro is everything.

Im sure best players must use f2-f4 keys, at least for nada, because he
builds scvs the fastest.


jca
Profile Joined April 2003
France273 Posts
April 14 2004 19:11 GMT
#17
On April 15 2004 03:29 Hautamaki wrote:
APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks.


haha, that's a funny statement. It's like saying to a F1 driver that driving fast means nothing, what matters is winning the race. Any chance of a correlation between the two?

Please stop staying "APM means shit". APM is a measurement that contains some information about your ability to accomplish tasks quickly. That's all it is, but it's not "nothing".
http://www.bwchart.com
Zippo
Profile Joined March 2004
Australia54 Posts
April 14 2004 19:12 GMT
#18
On April 15 2004 01:59 Hautamaki wrote:
I'm a toss user of course, so I won't speak for zerg and terran, but for me I think that hotkeys are an inferiour choice to just using your mouse and keyboard shortcuts for 90% of the common applications.

It's far easier for me to click on my minimap than it is to use an Fkey to center on my procution centers. My fingers are too short to reach the Fkeys without moving my whole arm. To do it with my mouse I only need to flick my wrist.

When it comes to actually producing units, I'd much rather click my gateways and then hit z/d/t/k than hit 1 then z then 2 then d and so on. It's way more efficient to do stuff with both hands at once than it is to let one hand sit idle while the other has to move twice as quickly to make up. Obviously, you can use both hands on your keyboard to ameliorate that problem, but is that better? Hell no, then you have to move your whole hand again, twice, there and back, and furthermore you won't have enough hotkeys to run every gate anyways past the early-mid game.

When it comes to controlling armies, you cannot use attack move shortcut when you're selecting your army with hotkeys. Again, it's a waste of hand movement, because you have to press a number then a letter then a number and so forth. It's the same problem as construction, even Progamers don't bother to attack move, they just use right click move. That has a lot of drawbacks though. You waste units and lose the first attack any time you move to a spot that you didnt know the enemy was there. Progamers are fast enough that they can retreat, but even they fuck up and lose stuff occasionally. To me, there's just no sense in it unless you have like 30+ troops that you want to move from one side of the map to the other without actually facing any of his units. How often do you have to do that? Is it worth the extra seconds you wasted setting up your hotkeys? Almost never, I say.

I think that most people use hotkeys just for the hell of it, but there isn't actually any good reason to do so 90% of the time.
i can tell your never gonna get any good
Its scary when a bag of eyes wears a mask...
Sadist
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States7328 Posts
April 14 2004 19:18 GMT
#19
if you think you are faster without hotkeys you are HIGHLY mistaken, ;\ having to drag then click your units is sooooo much slower than using hotkeys, 1a 2a 3a 4a etc, isnt a watse of time you must be incredibly slow at it to think that. You probably arent very good, but if you dont use hoteksy i doubt ull ever improve :o
How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal and you have to be willing to work for it. Jim Valvano
S(O)ME(O)NE
Profile Joined December 2002
Canada473 Posts
April 14 2004 19:53 GMT
#20
i have a feeling that this fellow doesnt know what he has goten himself into.
1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 337
ProTech141
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 34070
Bisu 3188
Shuttle 1777
Hyuk 1422
EffOrt 733
Mini 730
Larva 380
Soma 349
ZerO 247
firebathero 238
[ Show more ]
Sexy 123
hero 107
Zeus 92
Last 90
Killer 44
Pusan 42
Hyun 41
Mong 40
Bale 35
Trap 32
Hm[arnc] 30
ToSsGirL 30
PianO 29
Aegong 25
sorry 23
zelot 18
Rock 14
JulyZerg 10
Noble 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Sacsri 7
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8051
qojqva1509
Dendi1012
Counter-Strike
fl0m1747
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1286
crisheroes889
Liquid`Hasu496
Lowko435
Other Games
singsing2636
B2W.Neo1265
Beastyqt324
Livibee203
Hui .180
Liquid`VortiX143
ArmadaUGS100
Mew2King91
KnowMe82
elazer67
CosmosSc2 22
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7189
League of Legends
• Jankos1949
Other Games
• WagamamaTV206
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 32m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 32m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 32m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 32m
INu's Battles
21h 32m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.