• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:59
CEST 16:59
KST 23:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20265Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9594 users

Graphics vs Gameplay

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
February 19 2010 19:59 GMT
#1
So I'm one of those lucky nerds who got a beta key, and I'm having a rather weird issue regarding the graphics! I have a really nice computer so I can handle the maxed graphic settings which, I will have you know, look absolutely fantastic.

However, in trying to learn the competitive flow of the game, I have an extremely hard time parsing what's going on. So, I dropped the in game graphics settings to low to see what it was like!

Oddly enough, the graphics didn't look "low quality," they just looked completely different. It was like a different art director managed the "low" setting. Surprisingly, I found playing on low WAY WAY easier. I felt greater comfort w/ my micro, I could see stuff better, my brain grabbed the important stuff faster etc. I'm curious if anyone else has had the same experience? Once I've built more comfort w/ the game, I wanna go back to the high settings to see if I'm just making everything up. For now though, discuss away!
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
zeox
Profile Joined November 2007
Norway314 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-19 20:03:38
February 19 2010 20:02 GMT
#2
I haven't had any problems with the settings on high. I haven't really played a whole lot of matches yet. so that may change. I heard some people felt this way about WC3 as well, but I didn't have the problem there either. I guess it's, like everything else, completely subjective.
themineralpatch.com -- twitter.com/inged
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-19 20:04:19
February 19 2010 20:03 GMT
#3
I've been running on 'ultra' maxed settings and like you said, especially during big battles after macroing, my ability to compute everyone is really slowed. I am not sure if the sc1 graphics are just engrained in my head or that the sprites really make a big difference... but my ability to disect a massive battle needs work.

I might try what you say, did you just put them on "low" or actually bring everything down to worst possible (or is that same thing, not home atm). It might be a great tool to help trigger your brain learning the game better then simply increase to max graphics once you are mechanical again.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
bLah.
Profile Joined July 2009
Croatia497 Posts
February 19 2010 20:04 GMT
#4
To me when you put on low settings it almost feels like there is no terrain, that it's just some background, units are so clearly visible etc.
It totally reminds me on crashing details in some fps games (remember ugly quake2 becoming even uglier for this very reason).

imho i'll play on low settings for 1v1, and on high for campaign/custom games because game looks beautiful.
NarutO
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
Germany18839 Posts
February 19 2010 20:05 GMT
#5
I saw lots of screenshots from low-detailled stuff, I can't stand it. For me personally, Starcraft 2 is a new game and it comes with new graphics. Right now I don't have a problem to handle anything in particular. I can tell the difference between the units and I didn't have a problem in fights yet.

Can you name an example of a situation where you have the feeling that the low settings might be better for competetive play?
CommentatorPolt | MMA | Jjakji | BoxeR | NaDa | MVP | MKP ... truly inspiring.
IskatuMesk
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada969 Posts
February 19 2010 20:06 GMT
#6
I'm not really having any trouble reading big battles at 1920x1200 with everything jacked to ultra/extreme.
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
February 19 2010 20:06 GMT
#7
You probably just didn't take enough time to get used to it

I know when I started playing Heroes of Newerth, which looks strikingly similar to SC2, I found it extremely disorienting and even at times headache inducing.

But a couple days of playing I was completely used to it, and had no complaints
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
February 19 2010 20:06 GMT
#8
same boat. had a tough time taking in information on high/ultra settings. went to low and found things a lot easier.
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
asdfTT123
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States989 Posts
February 19 2010 20:20 GMT
#9
Day, I completely agree with you. Although I don't have an account, I've been watching replays in my client and when the graphics are maxed, it definitely does look good but all of the effects can be extremely distracting.

When turned down to low (graphic detail wise...I still keep resolution at 1920x1200), the graphics are "clean" and it seems well suited for a competitive level of play. Scrolling around the map using the mouse at the edge of the screen is also noticeable smoother because the game doesn't have to render the details of the terrain. The graphics do not, by any means, look bad. I would definitely keep the graphic detail at low when playing seriously.

This might also be good to point out to those who don't have the beefiest of systems...if you plan on playing competitively it might be wise to leave the settings on low anyways. So you might not have to invest in a pricey GPU or new system once you get past the novelty of maxed graphics.

My specs: Core 2 Duo 3.16 @ 4 Ghz, 4 GB DDR2-800 RAM, HD 4870 1GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
n.Die_Jaedong <3
LuckyFool
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States9015 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-19 20:24:17
February 19 2010 20:23 GMT
#10
I can see myself playing competitive games on ultra low graphic settings with nearly every interface message not displaying/cluttering up the screen.

I've only played on high graphics settings so far though...
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5543 Posts
February 19 2010 20:25 GMT
#11
I was thinking the same thing, although im not in the beta. I wonder if sc will be like quake/cs where the competitive turn down the settings to gain a bit of an edge. That will be kindof sad really because sc2 looks so good maxed ;(
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
T.O.P. *
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Hong Kong4685 Posts
February 19 2010 20:25 GMT
#12
What's your opinion on medium? The visibility is better on medium, yet it looks like a modern game.
Oracle comes in, Scvs go down, never a miscommunication.
green.at
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Austria1459 Posts
February 19 2010 20:28 GMT
#13
I see it like you day. following the low-quality stream is much easier, but hq just looks better
Lets hope you can get used to high quality - or its low quality for competitive play.
Inputting special characters into chat should no longer cause the game to crash.
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
February 19 2010 20:29 GMT
#14
I am sure lowering the settings may make my play better and easier to focus on stuff, but I am not going to do it. I know people always say Gameplay > Graphics, but a good looking game adds to the fun.
#1 Kwanro Fan
fishyjoes
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Germany644 Posts
February 19 2010 20:29 GMT
#15
Maybe its just that you are not used to all the flashy graphics and thausonds of hours of SC1s grey and flat look made your eyes go over sensible. On the other hand, SC2 in low grafic does look extremly colorful with all the shaders and "grit-effects" removed. Oh well ...
infinite fun: http://dagobah.biz/flash/loituma.swf
ramen247
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States1256 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-19 20:31:04
February 19 2010 20:30 GMT
#16
can you upload screenshots to let us see the differences between high and low settings? =P
i hate this ugly firebat. i want a marine.
starcraft911
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)1263 Posts
February 19 2010 20:30 GMT
#17
i did the exact same thing. Unlike most people I'm 25 and used to playing games with shitty graphics. been playing SC1 and CS since they were born and i don't really like the pretty graphics as much as my nephew.
Pufftrees
Profile Joined March 2009
2449 Posts
February 19 2010 20:32 GMT
#18
I don't think there will be a long term super competitive advantage to running on low, but what Day9 is saying is that while we are new to the game it may be advantageous. If you play with low graphics at first you can get a feel for what's going on without having screen cluttered up with fancy graphics. Then after you feel comfortable raise them up. It's something to consider. Having said this I will probably stick to max.
Chance favors the prepared mind.
hoborg
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States430 Posts
February 19 2010 20:32 GMT
#19
I've only fiddled with some replays in the client for a few minutes, but so far I think the game looks better at low settings. Less realistic, of course, but rather than looking "bad" it just looks more abstracted. I wouldn't be surprised if the standard for casting/VODs becomes Low Quality.
blbl | CJ and ACE fighting!
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-19 20:36:04
February 19 2010 20:33 GMT
#20
ultra/low

[image loading]

[image loading]


[image loading]

[image loading]


i didnt restart so not all the graphics settings went into effect and i keep the terrain on medium i believe. it's a lot easier to pick things out quickly without a glare and shadow on EVERYTHIGN. :D

doesnt look too bad in pictures because you have time to see what's what imagine scanning over your base real fast it's a lot harder to distinguish.
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 296
OGKoka 245
Codebar 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48629
Calm 4396
Shuttle 2293
Bisu 1640
FanTaSy 1534
Mini 914
Soma 652
EffOrt 636
Rush 510
Stork 342
[ Show more ]
Light 284
Hyuk 263
firebathero 242
Snow 219
ZerO 175
actioN 128
Barracks 116
Zeus 87
Dewaltoss 82
Killer 75
hero 72
Sea.KH 57
Hyun 40
Pusan 39
ToSsGirL 36
Sharp 36
Shinee 35
Free 27
Bale 27
PianO 25
Shine 22
Aegong 21
Yoon 20
sorry 17
HiyA 15
yabsab 14
zelot 14
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7366
Dendi1094
League of Legends
KnowMe11
Counter-Strike
x6flipin206
kRYSTAL_107
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes564
Lowko437
Other Games
singsing2214
hiko1771
B2W.Neo379
byalli262
Hui .194
Livibee189
Liquid`VortiX178
Mew2King74
Trikslyr39
mouzStarbuck36
Rex26
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV220
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 63
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2488
Other Games
• Shiphtur181
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 16m
Replay Cast
8h 1m
OSC
1d 8h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 19h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.