• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:37
CEST 10:37
KST 17:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7210 users

Newbie Mini Mafia XXVII - Page 33

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 78 Next
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 08:24 GMT
#641
Believe it or not I was actually making a test to see how much leniancy lurkers get in this game. It seems to me that it's a lot. I mean how much did people take to realize that I was not posting ANYTHING?

My opinions are as follows:

1) The hit on SDM is surprising. If I were mafia I would definetly try and get that confirmed townies out instead. That really irks me a lot. It means that SDM was more of a threat that having a confirmed town. I do not think that they actually got a read on him a blue. He was way to active and open, him flipping blue must have been a surprise for them as well as for us.

2) Lynching an active player seems bad if we don't have a good reason. Right now the feeling I get is that mafia is laughing from the sidelines as some townies fight each other. Again back to the lurker idea. That means putting pressure on people to post.

3) Obviously the mason claim seems very fool proof. It all fits back way to good. The only way it's not true is if Sharrant was planning it all along when there was no pressure and tricked us all into accusing him. (very unlikely - if so... well played sir well played). Obviously also it's a bad risk/reward thing since now if something happens, we have two confirmed mafia.

My biggest problem right now is number 2. I am guilty of it as well but I was actually doing it on purpose. What are the other guys's reasons? Everybody that is not posting, can you tell us why are you not? (I have given my reason, if you need me to go into more detail about it please ask).
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 08:27 GMT
#642
Wait you were lurking on purpose? That is your entire reason for lurking? "Hey guys don't lynch me I was lurking on purpose"

Why would you do that? What do you gain from it? (apart from a social life)

Please elaborate.
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 08:29 GMT
#643
It's not something you need to test we have plenty of them...
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 08:30 GMT
#644
I guess part of the leniency is due to last game where there were so many lurking town it was insufferable. That said if you counted xatalos as a lurker there were two mafia in the lurkers...
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 08:36 GMT
#645
I am actually trying to get my point across. We are giving to much leniency (so that's how you spell that word). And people are kinda mentioning here and there. But must of what's going on is active posters fighting.
This is my actual read for now: there is a significant part of mafia hiding amongst lurkers. That includes me as well but hopefully my posting from now on will convince you otherwise.
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 08:45 GMT
#646
To be clear my defense against lurking is not "hey I did it on purpose", it's "hey I will not be lurking anymore now"
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
sharky246
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
1197 Posts
September 21 2012 08:50 GMT
#647
Initially, i thought kushm4sta, stutter and thrawn were possible mafias as they were among the people who lynched drazak. But then it would be too obvious for mafia to just gang up on 1 person. My theory is that the mafia someone who doesn't post too much and is not one of the people who voted for drazak.

Killingtime comes off as abit scummy to me. He changed his mind so often about who to lynch. First it was debears, then cubu, then debears again. I don't think this was done unintentionally. Perhaps it was done to make confusion?
On January 03 2011 13:14 IdrA wrote: being high on the ladder doesnt get you any closer to your goal. Avoiding practice to protect your rating is absurd. If you want to be good go play 40 games a day and stop thinking about becoming a pro.
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 08:53 GMT
#648
Wow I actually spelt it right odd...

I am guilty of it as well but I was actually doing it on purpose.

To be clear my defense against lurking is not "hey I did it on purpose", it's "hey I will not be lurking anymore now"


k... oh I think I see what you mean now. You said you did it on purpose, but the actual defence is you won't anymore. Still saying you did it on purpose is a defence as well.

I mean I guess time will tell but this was really strange the way you went about it. Going into a game thinking "hey lets lurk to test how lenient people are" is really bad. Also funny you mention if AFTER we start discussing that going after active people might be a bad idea.
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 08:58 GMT
#649
I could not mention it BEFORE we started discussing now could I? ^^
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 09:00 GMT
#650
Hurm.... fair point. but still you are avoiding the main thing of why you would do it in the first place as town. (as scum there are heaps of reasons of course)
KillingTime
Profile Joined August 2012
France101 Posts
September 21 2012 09:02 GMT
#651
Sorry if people think I am lurking - I am still checking the thread often, but haven't had that much time to think about motivations. Sharky - I switched my vote to Cubu for clear reasons (at the time it didn't seem like debears was getting lynched+ Cubu is a horrible player, which you should be able to appreciate) and the when the mason thing came to light I switched back to the player who was my best scum read at the time and some others had suspicions of.

It might annoy you more to say the one thing I have done more is look at debears posts from After the lynch more closley. I can't see much in them that looks that scummy so for now I kinda think he is a null read. I don't like his posts from d1 much - but that is D1, so it is the weakest day of play.

Also, setup speculation is pointless - I will post more later hopefully I will have some time after 4pm french time to look through other filters.
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 21 2012 09:04 GMT
#652
On September 21 2012 17:24 rethos wrote:
Believe it or not I was actually making a test to see how much leniancy lurkers get in this game. It seems to me that it's a lot. I mean how much did people take to realize that I was not posting ANYTHING?

My opinions are as follows:

1) The hit on SDM is surprising. If I were mafia I would definetly try and get that confirmed townies out instead. That really irks me a lot. It means that SDM was more of a threat that having a confirmed town. I do not think that they actually got a read on him a blue. He was way to active and open, him flipping blue must have been a surprise for them as well as for us.


My opinion on talking about who mafia night killed and why: mafia players are more likely to do it than town players. First because they have perfect information as to exactly why the night kill happened wheras town has 0 information except for a wide range of unprovable theories, and second it can be a tool to mislead the town as to the true reasons for why the night kill happened. You say you don't think mafia got a read on sonic as a blue... why do you think this? You say it would have been a big surprise for mafia and town that he was blue... why the surprise? What made you previously think that he was most likely green instead of blue?

On September 21 2012 17:24 rethos wrote:
2) Lynching an active player seems bad if we don't have a good reason. Right now the feeling I get is that mafia is laughing from the sidelines as some townies fight each other. Again back to the lurker idea. That means putting pressure on people to post.

3) Obviously the mason claim seems very fool proof. It all fits back way to good. The only way it's not true is if Sharrant was planning it all along when there was no pressure and tricked us all into accusing him. (very unlikely - if so... well played sir well played). Obviously also it's a bad risk/reward thing since now if something happens, we have two confirmed mafia.


I'm not sure what read you're giving. "Fool proof" makes me think you arew suggesting maliciuos intent behind the mason claim but the rest of that makes me think you believe the claim to be true. So just for clarity you're saying you believe the claim right?

On September 21 2012 17:24 rethos wrote:
My biggest problem right now is number 2. I am guilty of it as well but I was actually doing it on purpose. What are the other guys's reasons? Everybody that is not posting, can you tell us why are you not? (I have given my reason, if you need me to go into more detail about it please ask).


Also this post looks pretty fluffy, you didn't commit to scumreads so what is your scumread? I refresh the page and see you say: "This is my actual read for now: there is a significant part of mafia hiding amongst lurkers." You're gonna have to put forth more than that. Your read is that there is a significant part of mafia among lurkers, who out of the lurkers do you most suspect? And do you have any thoughts and the reads people have been making during N1?

What seems strange about you saying that you intentionally lurked (which to me sounds like a really strange plan for a town player to both think of and carry on for so long) is that you say it right after debears, myself, and jacob talk about being frustrated with lurkers. So my gut instinct tells me your post is you making up that intentional lurking idea to try and excuse your lurking. So right after we start calling people out for lurking you make a big post saying why you've been lurking and you talk a bunch about night kill theories that can't really be proven and your read is that there is an unspecifed mafia amongst the lurkers. Looks defensive and scummy. Regardless of all that, thanks for posting and please follow through and don't lurk any more.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 09:06 GMT
#653
Oh, I am not avoiding, I thought that was clear. So basically there is a problem with this game (all newbie games? I don't know) that is that people are not pressuring lurkers at all. Mainly they are giving them little slaps on the hand like (hey you have not posted in a while). I wanted to actually attract attention to that. And I think I actually succedded.
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 21 2012 09:07 GMT
#654
I don't see how this:

On September 21 2012 17:45 rethos wrote:
To be clear my defense against lurking is not "hey I did it on purpose", it's "hey I will not be lurking anymore now"

makes sense after you saying this:

On September 21 2012 17:24 rethos wrote:
Believe it or not I was actually making a test to see how much leniancy lurkers get in this game. It seems to me that it's a lot. I mean how much did people take to realize that I was not posting ANYTHING?
..........
I am guilty of it as well but I was actually doing it on purpose.

"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
rethos
Profile Joined April 2010
Romania103 Posts
September 21 2012 09:11 GMT
#655
Actually no.. I am sorry to all of you. But it really seems that playing mafia is really not for me. I got bored and did not want to post any more. Now I am trying to catch up and can't get bring myself to it. Yes I lied about having this weird plan of lurking intentionally. I lurked because I did not have motivation to do anything.

Again I am really really sorry. I will ask for a replacement.
Flash is a beast... And we love it this way
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 21 2012 09:16 GMT
#656
On September 21 2012 18:11 rethos wrote:
Actually no.. I am sorry to all of you. But it really seems that playing mafia is really not for me. I got bored and did not want to post any more. Now I am trying to catch up and can't get bring myself to it. Yes I lied about having this weird plan of lurking intentionally. I lurked because I did not have motivation to do anything.

Again I am really really sorry. I will ask for a replacement.


Lol which one of your mason buddies in the qt told you to write this post?

My vote today was going to be remedy but this series of posts from rethos makes me consider lynching him regardless of him asking for a replacement.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 09:22 GMT
#657
But it really seems that playing mafia is really not for me.


Did I miss sarcasm or is this a scum slip? Or does he mean playing mafia would not be me. Or is he... Thrawn you seem to know what does he mean? lol.
JacobStrangelove
Profile Joined August 2012
Australia1572 Posts
September 21 2012 09:22 GMT
#658
OHHH I'm an idiot... playing mafia not playing as mafia *facepalm*
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 21 2012 09:24 GMT
#659
I'm looking through your filter and I don't see boredom. You do stuff like ask mods to fix killings filter, you make a post saying "don't let conversation die down" and you do a manual vote count. Also before the game you were so interested in playing that you drew that badass picture of a cat. I don't see boredom showing through in any of your posts. Were you bored the whole game or did it happen after the lynch? Because IMO the first lynch is when the game really starts getting interesting.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
September 21 2012 09:36 GMT
#660
In your final post you say that you lied about having a lurking plan and that you quit because you were bored. I already made a post about your D1 posts and how I don't see boredom in those, so now here's what I think about this one. I'm going to bold all the things that look like you aren't bored and have an interest in continuing the game.

On September 21 2012 17:24 rethos wrote:
Believe it or not I was actually making a test to see how much leniancy lurkers get in this game. It seems to me that it's a lot. I mean how much did people take to realize that I was not posting ANYTHING?

My opinions are as follows:

1) The hit on SDM is surprising. If I were mafia I would definetly try and get that confirmed townies out instead. That really irks me a lot. It means that SDM was more of a threat that having a confirmed town. I do not think that they actually got a read on him a blue. He was way to active and open, him flipping blue must have been a surprise for them as well as for us.

2) Lynching an active player seems bad if we don't have a good reason. Right now the feeling I get is that mafia is laughing from the sidelines as some townies fight each other. Again back to the lurker idea. That means putting pressure on people to post.

3) Obviously the mason claim seems very fool proof. It all fits back way to good. The only way it's not true is if Sharrant was planning it all along when there was no pressure and tricked us all into accusing him. (very unlikely - if so... well played sir well played). Obviously also it's a bad risk/reward thing since now if something happens, we have two confirmed mafia.

My biggest problem right now is number 2. I am guilty of it as well but I was actually doing it on purpose. What are the other guys's reasons? Everybody that is not posting, can you tell us why are you not? (I have given my reason, if you need me to go into more detail about it please ask).


First why make such a long post if you were bored? The first 2 bolded statements show emotion which suggests interest in the game. The third one (as well as the whole post) shows that you have an interest in pressuring lurkers which suggests an interest in future game developments.

Am I reading too much into this? There might be some confirmation bias going on but after looking at his entire filter I do not get the impression that he was bored from any of his posts.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Prev 1 31 32 33 34 35 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 690
actioN 461
Mong 213
Dewaltoss 109
BeSt 99
Killer 82
sSak 67
Aegong 35
ZergMaN 32
Bale 32
[ Show more ]
NotJumperer 26
sorry 19
yabsab 13
Noble 9
League of Legends
JimRising 470
Counter-Strike
byalli578
Other Games
summit1g9370
olofmeister951
Happy344
Sick184
crisheroes174
KnowMe92
Pyrionflax10
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick667
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos907
• Stunt467
Other Games
• WagamamaTV38
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 23m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2h 23m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 23m
Replay Cast
14h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 2h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.