• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:10
CEST 08:10
KST 15:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7522 users

[D] PvZ - Establishing third with Skytoss (viable?) - Page…

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 48 Next All
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
May 08 2012 05:12 GMT
#241
What I'm thinking is this: Instead of focusing on air attack upgrades first and going double Cybernetics core, instead start with Air Armor, and start working on Protoss Shields as well.


Yeah, this seems really smart. Armor is super valuable in big fights, and transitioning to HT/Archon is quite strong.

The only drawback might be for Carriers, which benefit immensely from attack upgrades (each +1 is 16 dps!)
Fairwell
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria195 Posts
May 08 2012 06:16 GMT
#242
On May 08 2012 14:12 quillian wrote:
Show nested quote +
What I'm thinking is this: Instead of focusing on air attack upgrades first and going double Cybernetics core, instead start with Air Armor, and start working on Protoss Shields as well.


Yeah, this seems really smart. Armor is super valuable in big fights, and transitioning to HT/Archon is quite strong.

The only drawback might be for Carriers, which benefit immensely from attack upgrades (each +1 is 16 dps!)


Carriers have 8 interceptors, each of them shooting twice every 3sec (ingame seconds ofc). Hence their dps increases by 5.33 if you upgrade air weapons by 1. You simply forgot to factor in that interceptors have a 3.0sec refire rate (carriers initial dmg burst is way higher due to the much faster release rate of interceptors).
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
May 08 2012 06:41 GMT
#243
On May 08 2012 14:12 quillian wrote:
Yeah, this seems really smart. Armor is super valuable in big fights, and transitioning to HT/Archon is quite strong.

The only drawback might be for Carriers, which benefit immensely from attack upgrades (each +1 is 16 dps!)


The thing is I don't think I'd want to transition to Carriers with this thought in mind. Carriers are admittedly quite strong vs Hydras... but so is Zealot/Archon and Zealot/Archon will be faster and easier to produce in the quantities required (should you lose your Void Rays for some reason). If they're going Corrupters or Mutas to fight the Voids (which is pretty dumb if you ask me), Carriers aren't so hot vs. Corrupters and the Mutas would be a terrible choice especially since the Voids would be armor/shield focused (and the Protoss has the ability to pump out lots of Phoenixes to support as well).

So finally that leaves if the Zerg decided to go Infestor to fight the Voids. While Carriers are indeed better with the long range to try and take out the infestors, the problem is that IF they get neuraled your Void rays will make short work of them, and sometimes I've found that since Voids move ahead of the carriers, when the infestors go to fungal they sometimes nab the interceptors, which make the carriers pretty much useless. With High Templar in the mix, you'd be able to Storm/Feedback to contain the Infestor problem, and of course you should have Mass Recall to get you out of there if you do get into trouble.

I really like the idea behind this build as it kind of pigeon-holes the Zerg in how he is to respond. Something I've been toying around with in the build order tester is the idea of going 1gate/1stargate into expansion. While the expo is admittedly quite delayed, the mothership arrives at 13minutes which is still roughly on par with the FFE timing. By getting a really quick Void + Phoenix, the idea would be to harass and possibly deny the third base, and using the Phoenix as a scout to find out what kind of tech you'll be dealing with, as well as a quick and easy way to find out where those expos are at.

I'm not sold on going gate + stargate before expand, but since this build is definitely more tech oriented than it is economy oriented, I personally don't think the economic hit is too hard. Plus the nice thing is is that you're constantly producing Voids off of one Stargate for quite a while, making your Voidray count pretty decent by the time big momma shows up. With the rough draft that I've been working on in the build order tester at 13 minutes I have the Mothership completed, Air Armor and Shields at about 90/160, 7 Void Rays and a pair of Sentries, a Stalker and a Zealot.

I'll be doing a bit of testing to see which I prefer. I know that FFE is the standard for Protoss vs Zerg, but I'm personally not super comfortable with FFE and since this is dedicating itself to a strong air fleet, I feel like starting off with one base play might be a little stronger... Mainly since the primary problem behind gateway based expands has been the ability to secure a third easily, which I think this build is kind of designed to do as the Mothership/Voidrays will make it very difficult for Zergling/Roach based armies to deny your third easily... And with a fairly mobile fleet the Protoss should have an easier time "sharking" the Zerg. I'm going to definitely have to work on my mechanics as I haven't played in a while, but using the Void Rays similarly to Hellions in being able to deny early creep spread of the Zerg can also drastically reduce the chances of Hydra pushes (which in turn allow you to position your voids early on somewhat aggressively, which should give you a decent heads up if the Zerg is planning to go on a full out attack.

But like I said, it's something I'm going to be working on. The game one ladder game played I opted to go 1gate/stargate ---> Expo and it worked out just fine. The game I played was really sloppy and my transitions were awful, yet I still won the game which makes me feel a little confident in the core concept of this build.
silentdecay01
Profile Joined February 2012
United States106 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 06:57:03
May 08 2012 06:53 GMT
#244
any good zerg will kill you start of the game, you can't turtle your base vs roaches, they will destroy every massive cannons you build. On our current map selection on the ladder, this wont work @ master lvl vs a good zerg. mabey in lower leagues.

If the good zerg vetos the unfriendly z maps in the ladder pool, a early roach attack will kill you instantly

For those in masters on NA and won with this, not to flame but I have a feeling and watching the replays, those zergs you played using this strat, they made to many dumb mistakes and played like low plat players vs it.


A good zerg will just expand and roach trade and just rape your base. Voids take forever to kill roaches, cannons die few hits of roaches. ect early roach aggression with early base expanding, you won't be able to get a mothership out or anything decent. if the zerg puts a spire behind roach agression its gg. as he will trade better then you.
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 07:19:47
May 08 2012 07:07 GMT
#245
On May 08 2012 15:53 silentdecay01 wrote:
any good zerg will kill you start of the game, you can't turtle your base vs roaches, they will destroy every massive cannons you build. On our current map selection on the ladder, this wont work @ master lvl vs a good zerg. mabey in lower leagues.

If the good zerg vetos the unfriendly z maps in the ladder pool, a early roach attack will kill you instantly


Ermm... I'm not sure if your post was directed at my posts or the thread in general. If directed at my post, I have to start playing some more because I have been out of the SC2 scene for a while so you may be right (though I have kept up in watching vods).

If you're directing your post at the thread in general, the OP provided a number of replays which were clearly against master level Zergs and he was able to defeat quite a few of them. Define an "early roach attack"... Are we talking a Stephano timing or something that comes a little sooner? Because going the route of the FFE I don't see why the build would be less safe vs. early roaches than a FFE sans stargate since you have... Well, air units. And it's my understanding that air units are pretty good vs. them Roaches.

I'm not sure what the point of your post was, since it's awfully vague and doesn't contain any reasoning for why the roaches trump cannons + stargates. If you're referring to what I'm posting, as said, I've been out of the game for a while so I may need to re-educate myself and I won't deny that... But if this is just a flat out dismissal for the build as a whole, I can't say I agree based on the extremely limited and unexplained reasons you've provided.

A good zerg will just expand and roach trade and just rape your base. Voids take forever to kill roaches, cannons die few hits of roaches. ect early roach aggression with early base expanding, you won't be able to get a mothership out or anything decent. if the zerg puts a spire behind roach agression its gg. as he will trade better then you.


Single cannons die quickly to roaches. Large numbers of cannons do not. I do think that the build suggested by the OP could definitely use at least a few Sentries to try and mitigate early roach movement... But aside from that most Protosses FFE and are able to handle early Roach aggression, I really don't see how going Void Rays suddenly makes that a liability.

As for following up with Spire... The Protoss isn't going to be moving out of his base a whole lot until he has a decent sized fleet and a Recall ready, I don't see how it would be possible to just "trade better than you" as hell have to fly over a grid of cannons in order to begin attacking Void Rays... Nevermind that I wouldn't consider Corruptors or Mutas to trade better with Void Rays.

Also, small numbers of Void rays have trouble dealing with Roaches. Mid to large numbers of Void rays will MELT roaches rather quickly.
silentdecay01
Profile Joined February 2012
United States106 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 07:29:13
May 08 2012 07:27 GMT
#246
My point is any good zerg will crush this type of play before he has enough cannons to prevent large sums of roaches.....

his ecom will take a huge hit early game if he makes nothing but cannons to defend.... old school early roach rush will kill this before it becomes a problem.

I think people are winning using werid strats because most players don't expect this and will drone up and play standard. tho a high lvl master or gm player or kor pro would be able to deter this with old shcool early roachs and just kill said player.



This is nothing new, back in the day protoss used to play a turtle type game and mass void rays, it stoped working at high lvl play for a reason.
Rimak
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark434 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 09:50:03
May 08 2012 07:45 GMT
#247
On May 08 2012 15:53 silentdecay01 wrote:
any good zerg will kill you start of the game, you can't turtle your base vs roaches, they will destroy every massive cannons you build. On our current map selection on the ladder, this wont work @ master lvl vs a good zerg. mabey in lower leagues.

If the good zerg vetos the unfriendly z maps in the ladder pool, a early roach attack will kill you instantly

For those in masters on NA and won with this, not to flame but I have a feeling and watching the replays, those zergs you played using this strat, they made to many dumb mistakes and played like low plat players vs it.


A good zerg will just expand and roach trade and just rape your base. Voids take forever to kill roaches, cannons die few hits of roaches. ect early roach aggression with early base expanding, you won't be able to get a mothership out or anything decent. if the zerg puts a spire behind roach agression its gg. as he will trade better then you.


The answer to your objections are very simple.

Toss can FFE on every map (no really, he can), especially with those hoards of minerals he is saving by not building a ground force.

Early roach pushes are easily deflected, because they are based on protoss being greedy and not building additional cannos for defence.
By the time, for example, a 2 base roach will arrive, you'll have at least 5! cannons and a sentry guarding gates.

When stephano attack hits at around 12 minutes (which is doubtfull, cuz obv voidrays will delay it, but let's assume void did no damage).
Protoss will have 2 sentry, at least 10-15 cannons, thick layer of sim-city, voids and a freakin mothership with cloak (so cannons can't be targeted without overseer, and you'll need alot of them).

And about trading. You see, toss actually don't trade he just sits on his base with a mothership and cannons everywhere like a bronze-leagued. Protoss don't trade armies, he trades cannons. Thing is, when i've watched replay, that zerg is swimming in resources, while you produce your fleet, and he cannot remake his limit of roaches into spire, because he needs to kill them all.
I've had an all-air play from zerg with 3-3 muta gainst my composition. We traded ~120 supply of muta to my ~20 supplay of voidrays.

As stupid as it sound but this build offer a slow, unique, but solid style of play.

Also I've got nydus yesterday, but this is actually all about scoutng your base. Nydus was able to flow 7 roaches to my main, before it died. Obv 7 roaches did little to no damage, after i just put cannons to cover the whole base and 1 cannon is perfectly fine to take out any nydus threats.

2000 Jungler 66% Hecarim, 63% Volibear, 60% Jarvan IV
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
May 08 2012 09:34 GMT
#248
Yeah, whoever says this doesn't work vs good masters has absolutely not tested the build himself.

That's not to say the build is an auto-win, but early roach defense or taking a third definitely isn't the issue here..
MeLo
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia192 Posts
May 08 2012 15:13 GMT
#249
Assuming Protoss is able to get his 3rd up and an economy going, Zerg is going to need to keep up in upgrades and I'd suggest having a Nydus somewhere so they can counter easier with Hydras/Infestors.
Zheryn
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3653 Posts
May 08 2012 15:23 GMT
#250
How do you deal with ling/mass hydra + a few infestors?
hundred thousand krouner
Ender2701
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States581 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 15:33:21
May 08 2012 15:32 GMT
#251
I actually also play a sky toss against zerg sometimes, but my style is less stable I think, but maybe some people would like to test it out. I open with forge nexus gate gate at my natural, and then pump zealots chonroboosted and go with and go for the third and just keep pumping zealots. I delay my core until my minerals line up for it, and take my gases at the normal time ( so I bank a bit). Then after my core finishes I put down 2-3 stargates and pump VR phoenix and expand with lots of cannons behind it. I believe I copied the strategy from Kiwikaki from his MLG online qualifier games vs Sheth.

I actually have the highest win percentage with this strategy of all of my builds but I don't do it that often because I felt like it was cheesy, I suppose I've never actually lost and felt like it was my strategy that lost me the game though. After I have my 5th + 6th gas I put down double robo and get collossus, as usually you'll force a hydra-ling-infestor composition from the zerg.

I'm fairly high masters ( 750 points, top 10% of masters league) and I'll post a few replays when I get home.
Peleus
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia420 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 15:56:09
May 08 2012 15:36 GMT
#252
Basically a counter to this as Zerg is to really go mass mass corruptors and creep crawl a heap of your own static D towards the enemy, trying to gain a one up on the mining bases and slowly close in around him with creep spread. Because when toss get's to this lategame stage they typically max out on voids / mothership / collossi corruptors can attack everything, and any remaining ground forces can be cleaned up by your spine / spore contain. You can then morph 2-3 broodlords and just slowly wear down canons as any actual engage is most likely bad for him. Obviously you need to be careful of mothership vortex / archons, but that's the same as any late game army.

Below are two replays of toss going mass voidray / mothership against me in the end game, and you can see how I dealt with it.

http://drop.sc/174923
http://drop.sc/174924

Edit: Before anyone complains yes in one game I could have finished him much quicker, but I was just toying with them.
Rimak
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark434 Posts
May 08 2012 16:49 GMT
#253
On May 09 2012 00:36 Peleus wrote:
Basically a counter to this as Zerg is to really go mass mass corruptors and creep crawl a heap of your own static D towards the enemy, trying to gain a one up on the mining bases and slowly close in around him with creep spread. Because when toss get's to this lategame stage they typically max out on voids / mothership / collossi corruptors can attack everything, and any remaining ground forces can be cleaned up by your spine / spore contain. You can then morph 2-3 broodlords and just slowly wear down canons as any actual engage is most likely bad for him. Obviously you need to be careful of mothership vortex / archons, but that's the same as any late game army.

Below are two replays of toss going mass voidray / mothership against me in the end game, and you can see how I dealt with it.

http://drop.sc/174923
http://drop.sc/174924

Edit: Before anyone complains yes in one game I could have finished him much quicker, but I was just toying with them.

I'm still going to watch replays, but mass corrupters was easiest to deal with for me, i just added 5 archons and 2 HT into mix and they melted insanely fast.
2000 Jungler 66% Hecarim, 63% Volibear, 60% Jarvan IV
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 17:28:22
May 08 2012 17:27 GMT
#254
On May 09 2012 00:36 Peleus wrote:
Basically a counter to this as Zerg is to really go mass mass corruptors and creep crawl a heap of your own static D towards the enemy, trying to gain a one up on the mining bases and slowly close in around him with creep spread. Because when toss get's to this lategame stage they typically max out on voids / mothership / collossi corruptors can attack everything, and any remaining ground forces can be cleaned up by your spine / spore contain. You can then morph 2-3 broodlords and just slowly wear down canons as any actual engage is most likely bad for him. Obviously you need to be careful of mothership vortex / archons, but that's the same as any late game army.

Below are two replays of toss going mass voidray / mothership against me in the end game, and you can see how I dealt with it.

http://drop.sc/174923
http://drop.sc/174924

Edit: Before anyone complains yes in one game I could have finished him much quicker, but I was just toying with them.


the first game he didn't do anything remotely like this build. it's not really relevant to this thread.

the second game is more useful, and shows what most players who do a lot of 3v3 and 4v4 have learned, that mass corruptor CAN trade effectively with void rays, and remax faster. The aggressive creep spread with mass cralwers is a good addition. When the zerg commits to the counter, it becomes a good fight, with the game swinging on good positioning and vortex/storm. Seems balanced and playable from both sides.
Crow!
Profile Joined September 2011
United States150 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-08 18:00:03
May 08 2012 17:58 GMT
#255
The issue is the spine/spore forest, which quite frankly is the scariest thing Zerg has vs Toss IMO. Both our siege units die to the same unit, and we don't have any real combat units, and buildings aren't affected by spells. And Zerg "defenses" can move and attack.
Darkomicron
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands216 Posts
May 08 2012 18:09 GMT
#256
Tried it a few times. The zergs just play smart, sack all the roaches in order to kill your natural nexus (even if you keep your mothership, they burrow under the unit block, snipe tons of probes/pylons/stargates and set you back a lot).

Mass fungal + corruptor. Tons of infested terrans on expansions. Zerg has complete map control. You can't win, killed his army a few times, he just remaxes and finishes it off. It feels almost impossible to play with.
"Night will fall, and so will you"
CrAzEdMiKe
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada151 Posts
May 08 2012 19:16 GMT
#257
On May 09 2012 00:36 Peleus wrote:
Basically a counter to this as Zerg is to really go mass mass corruptors and creep crawl a heap of your own static D towards the enemy, trying to gain a one up on the mining bases and slowly close in around him with creep spread. Because when toss get's to this lategame stage they typically max out on voids / mothership / collossi corruptors can attack everything, and any remaining ground forces can be cleaned up by your spine / spore contain. You can then morph 2-3 broodlords and just slowly wear down canons as any actual engage is most likely bad for him. Obviously you need to be careful of mothership vortex / archons, but that's the same as any late game army.

Below are two replays of toss going mass voidray / mothership against me in the end game, and you can see how I dealt with it.

http://drop.sc/174923
http://drop.sc/174924

Edit: Before anyone complains yes in one game I could have finished him much quicker, but I was just toying with them.


I watched the second game and while I do agree to an extent that Corrupters will trade with Voids, there are a few factors that I feel you haven't considered when comparing these games to the strategy that the OP is employing.

The first and foremost thing is that he also went Colossi to "deal" with the ground army. Three Colossi is 18 supply, which is effectively 6 Void Rays that did not exist in the fight at all. Second of all, in the main engagements between the Corruptors/Voids you had a significant upgrade advantage, one that would not exist against the build of the OP as he is focusing on air upgrades all throughout the game.

And the third thing that I feel is the most important is that by going for such an early Mothership, the ability of the Protoss to snipe bases is MUCH easier at an earlier stage in the game. You had the economy to wage a war of attrition of Corrupter vs Void Ray, but part of the elegance of this build is that by keeping big momma at home, the Protoss is able to fly the outskirts of the map, snipe a hatch or two and immediately run away when corrupters show up. When an engagement inevitably occurs, it will be the Voids not the Corrupters who will have an upgrade advantage.

I'm not saying that it would be a "sure win" on the Protoss part as there are a lot of different factors involved, but taking a game like this I feel doesn't put things in good perspective for this particular build. Plus I think the correct followup to going Mass Void is definitely to mix in some High Templar, as all three responses to mass Voidray are fairly lackluster against the HTs. I think that this was the primary reason you were able to wittle down your Protoss opponent (and well done I might add, I by no means am trying to put down your play as it was a masterfully executed game), as he could have definitely used Storm to great advantage on those Corrupter clumps, and I think that a pair of Warp Prisms could have done significant damage considering how invested into corrupter you were.

The build has minerals in massive abundance, so throwing away Zealots and Warp Prisms to harass and distract the Zerg I think are necessary as the game drags on... And IF the Protoss should lose his Void Ray army, he needs some kind of cheap army that he can use in the meantime while he builds up the Voidray fleet again, which is why I think that HT/Zealot/Archon is the correct followup to this build, as it is capable of producing a massive amount of gateways (it probably already has just to aid in it's sim-city style of play).
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
May 08 2012 19:49 GMT
#258
On May 09 2012 03:09 Darkomicron wrote:
Tried it a few times. The zergs just play smart, sack all the roaches in order to kill your natural nexus (even if you keep your mothership, they burrow under the unit block, snipe tons of probes/pylons/stargates and set you back a lot).

Mass fungal + corruptor. Tons of infested terrans on expansions. Zerg has complete map control. You can't win, killed his army a few times, he just remaxes and finishes it off. It feels almost impossible to play with.


Burrowing through a natural wall off with cannons and voids shooting at you is suicide, and much worse than just trying to bust it down. Cannons are detectors (if you've forgotten), and roaches have to tunnel slowly through the 1/2 hex opening in the wall-off. Heck, I think that its even viable to do a complete wall off with this build, in which case you would be utterly screwed. Remember, you're basically trying to burrow around a cloaked walloff. Given the cannons, voids and mothership shooting at you while you tunnel, its doubtful you would even kill a pylon before your roaches died.

It's true that an early roach bust could be effective, but that is ONLY if Toss is being super greedy and doesn't build more than one cannon until he shits himself when the bust comes. I personally always drop 2 or 3, because I think it's stupid not to. In this build, Toss doesn't really spend minerals on army-- he builds cannons. Lots and lots of cannons.

It's been established that corruptors are pretty much shit against this build b/c void rays beat them, and void rays plus cannons utterly destroy them. Infestors are more of a problem, but adding colossi or HT can be very good against it, and its just a micro issue again. IT's die to cannons before they hatch.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Darkomicron
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands216 Posts
May 08 2012 20:16 GMT
#259
On May 09 2012 04:49 ticklishmusic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 09 2012 03:09 Darkomicron wrote:
Tried it a few times. The zergs just play smart, sack all the roaches in order to kill your natural nexus (even if you keep your mothership, they burrow under the unit block, snipe tons of probes/pylons/stargates and set you back a lot).

Mass fungal + corruptor. Tons of infested terrans on expansions. Zerg has complete map control. You can't win, killed his army a few times, he just remaxes and finishes it off. It feels almost impossible to play with.


Burrowing through a natural wall off with cannons and voids shooting at you is suicide, and much worse than just trying to bust it down. Cannons are detectors (if you've forgotten), and roaches have to tunnel slowly through the 1/2 hex opening in the wall-off. Heck, I think that its even viable to do a complete wall off with this build, in which case you would be utterly screwed. Remember, you're basically trying to burrow around a cloaked walloff. Given the cannons, voids and mothership shooting at you while you tunnel, its doubtful you would even kill a pylon before your roaches died.

It's true that an early roach bust could be effective, but that is ONLY if Toss is being super greedy and doesn't build more than one cannon until he shits himself when the bust comes. I personally always drop 2 or 3, because I think it's stupid not to. In this build, Toss doesn't really spend minerals on army-- he builds cannons. Lots and lots of cannons.

It's been established that corruptors are pretty much shit against this build b/c void rays beat them, and void rays plus cannons utterly destroy them. Infestors are more of a problem, but adding colossi or HT can be very good against it, and its just a micro issue again. IT's die to cannons before they hatch.


While the voids were away to attack, I just sniped an expansion and had to return or lose the entire base. Only the mothership was at home to cloak and defend, but that doesn't work against so many roaches.
"Night will fall, and so will you"
denten
Profile Joined April 2011
Netherlands10 Posts
May 08 2012 20:23 GMT
#260
I am a eu master zerg , played against this playstyle a few times and i just get all the eco i want and go hydra with corruptor . very easy to beat corruptor take down mothership/carrier very quick and then hydra clean up very easy
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 48 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 154
-ZergGirl 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1817
Hyuk 262
910 67
Yoon 38
Bale 34
NotJumperer 24
ZergMaN 17
yabsab 13
Icarus 8
League of Legends
JimRising 662
Reynor59
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox508
Mew2King43
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor216
Other Games
summit1g7292
WinterStarcraft405
PiGStarcraft258
C9.Mang0253
Sick191
Livibee160
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick628
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream231
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2317
League of Legends
• Stunt525
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 50m
Stellar Fest
6h 50m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.