• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:57
CEST 16:57
KST 23:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)46Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8237 users

[D] PvZ - Establishing third with Skytoss (viable?) - Page…

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 46 47 48 All
Daimai
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Sweden762 Posts
August 20 2012 08:42 GMT
#941
On August 20 2012 16:44 Typhoon1789 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2012 16:25 Daimai wrote:
So I play this style a lot, and my biggest problem is handling lategame infestor/corruptor/brood lord/spore/spine.

What do you guys do against this? What is the ultimate lategame comp?


I pull it off with 3/3 carriers. Once or if they die by that time i usually have 15+ gateways aswell and just do full warpins of zealots/stalkers if needed to eaither reinforce or kill hatches.

I think the staple for late game air toss is to have them gateways very late game. Your gonna end up having alot of minerals so you may aswell use them somewhere.


I think carriers are shit vs corruptors.. :/ What league are you in?
Do you have a thourough description of a typical engagement? Like what you do with the carriers and what your general lategame comp is.
To pray is to accept defeat.
SidewinderSC2
Profile Joined November 2011
United States236 Posts
August 20 2012 17:45 GMT
#942
On August 20 2012 16:25 Daimai wrote:
So I play this style a lot, and my biggest problem is handling lategame infestor/corruptor/brood lord/spore/spine.

What do you guys do against this? What is the ultimate lategame comp?


Ultimate late-game composition is about 8-10 Carriers with +3 attack, a Mothership, maybe 6-8 Templar for Storms and feedback, and the rest of the army supply in Archons. Of course, you do need to handle your army correctly. Archons should be primarily focused on splashing Corrupter balls, and Templar's main purpose should be to get rid of Infestor energy, and add DPS on Corrupter balls if you have the micro to both focus the Archons and land Storms.

At some point, you need to be sending Zealots or DTs into his mining bases with warp prisms to wear his economy down, and eventually you will make it so that he has to fight you or bleed out.
HelioSeven
Profile Joined February 2012
United States193 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 20:12:12
August 20 2012 20:11 GMT
#943
On August 20 2012 17:42 Daimai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2012 16:44 Typhoon1789 wrote:
On August 20 2012 16:25 Daimai wrote:
So I play this style a lot, and my biggest problem is handling lategame infestor/corruptor/brood lord/spore/spine.

What do you guys do against this? What is the ultimate lategame comp?


I pull it off with 3/3 carriers. Once or if they die by that time i usually have 15+ gateways aswell and just do full warpins of zealots/stalkers if needed to eaither reinforce or kill hatches.

I think the staple for late game air toss is to have them gateways very late game. Your gonna end up having alot of minerals so you may aswell use them somewhere.


I think carriers are shit vs corruptors.. :/ What league are you in?
Do you have a thourough description of a typical engagement? Like what you do with the carriers and what your general lategame comp is.


Carriers are weak against corruptors, but there are plenty of things that are strong against corruptors that you don't really need to worry about it. Void rays are great in low numbers, in higher numbers, archons and HTs w/ storm fill that role. Carriers have plenty of range, so just sit them back far enough that the archons/HTs can keep the corruptors away from your carriers.

I agree with SidewinderSC2's assessment of late-game composition, for the most part. I typically go a little heavier on the carriers, more towards 12-14, and then the rest archon/HT. Keeping 10-20 supply free for zealot/DT drops/warp-ins to harass your opponents mining bases is always a great idea, but obviously requires a lot of micro at a stage of the game where your APM is no doubt already stretched pretty thin.


On August 20 2012 17:09 Wasihasi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2012 09:48 ineversmile wrote:
I personally go double forge Chargelot+constant Phoenix and Immortal/Warp Prism production off of gateways+1 Staragate+1 Robo. I do this against Terran, too-


Could you please post some replays of this vs terran?


Seconding this. Would really like to see some replays of this style, sounds awesome and I look forward to trying it out, but some replays to get me started in the right direction would definitely help.
If I smite you, have you been smitten?
bluQ
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Germany1724 Posts
August 20 2012 20:16 GMT
#944
On August 21 2012 05:11 HelioSeven wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2012 17:42 Daimai wrote:
On August 20 2012 16:44 Typhoon1789 wrote:
On August 20 2012 16:25 Daimai wrote:
So I play this style a lot, and my biggest problem is handling lategame infestor/corruptor/brood lord/spore/spine.

What do you guys do against this? What is the ultimate lategame comp?


I pull it off with 3/3 carriers. Once or if they die by that time i usually have 15+ gateways aswell and just do full warpins of zealots/stalkers if needed to eaither reinforce or kill hatches.

I think the staple for late game air toss is to have them gateways very late game. Your gonna end up having alot of minerals so you may aswell use them somewhere.


I think carriers are shit vs corruptors.. :/ What league are you in?
Do you have a thourough description of a typical engagement? Like what you do with the carriers and what your general lategame comp is.


Carriers are weak against corruptors, but there are plenty of things that are strong against corruptors that you don't really need to worry about it. Void rays are great in low numbers, in higher numbers, archons and HTs w/ storm fill that role. Carriers have plenty of range, so just sit them back far enough that the archons/HTs can keep the corruptors away from your carriers.

I agree with SidewinderSC2's assessment of late-game composition, for the most part. I typically go a little heavier on the carriers, more towards 12-14, and then the rest archon/HT. Keeping 10-20 supply free for zealot/DT drops/warp-ins to harass your opponents mining bases is always a great idea, but obviously requires a lot of micro at a stage of the game where your APM is no doubt already stretched pretty thin.


Show nested quote +
On August 20 2012 17:09 Wasihasi wrote:
On August 17 2012 09:48 ineversmile wrote:
I personally go double forge Chargelot+constant Phoenix and Immortal/Warp Prism production off of gateways+1 Staragate+1 Robo. I do this against Terran, too-


Could you please post some replays of this vs terran?


Seconding this. Would really like to see some replays of this style, sounds awesome and I look forward to trying it out, but some replays to get me started in the right direction would definitely help.

I only do this on my smurf (dia league toss) but it felt pretty good to have like 4-8 void rays in a different control group, to harass expos or in battles only pull them into range when corrupter start to focus ur carriers. but i agree on HT/archons. carriers+htarchon is pretty hard to engage for zerg with mass corrupter
www.twitch.tv/bluquh (PoE, Starbow, HS)
Kentisc
Profile Joined June 2012
Belgium9 Posts
August 20 2012 22:09 GMT
#945
Boy, this strategy...it's quite something.
My winrate in PvZ has gone from like 50ish% to 99%, it's unbelievable.
Only gold though so my execution is faaaaar from perfect but not a single zerg knows how to react to it, it's hilarious!
EU Protoss - Gold League
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
August 20 2012 22:28 GMT
#946
On August 20 2012 17:09 Wasihasi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2012 09:48 ineversmile wrote:
I personally go double forge Chargelot+constant Phoenix and Immortal/Warp Prism production off of gateways+1 Staragate+1 Robo. I do this against Terran, too-


Could you please post some replays of this vs terran?


Ya, I will when I get a chance. My replays folder was accidentally deleted, so I guess I'll just have to play some more games and post newer replays. I have been using colossus-Phoenix builds over the past couple of months, and more recently I started just rolling straight chargelot Phoenix when I realized that I could pull it off and have better upgrades than the Terran.

I'm trying to work out a couple kinks in my forge/additional gateway timings for that pvt build anyways, so I'll see if I can find a strong Terran to play some practice games...hopefully the replays from this are useful.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
pixelAsurA
Profile Joined August 2012
United States15 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 23:14:39
August 20 2012 22:54 GMT
#947
What do you guys think about going reactive muta corruptor off double spire and expanding everywhere against this?

I've had success with it at mid master level (~700pts) constantly trading with P while endlessly massing corruptors off of 4, 5, 6+ bases, sniping VRs, carriers, and mothership as they come out. This effectively prevents P from moving out, as they can't engage zerg's army without cannon support due to the ridiculous numbers advantage in Z's favor. My composition is mass corruptor with 7-10 mutas sprinkled in to snipe cannons, kill probes, and chase fleeing VRs. While this composition is god-awful against skytoss in larger numbers, it's used to constantly apply pressure, trade, and to *prevent toss from reaching critical mass.* It has a very similar feel to using roaches vs mech in ZvT.
As this is my first post, I apologize in advance for any idiotic things I may have said.

Edit: Asterisks for emphasis, included reasoning.
I never have anything interesting to say, but I have enough trivial things to say that it doesn't matter. ~~~ http://namelesspixel.net/node/92 ~~~ mid masters zerg streaming most of the time
piroko139
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States261 Posts
August 20 2012 23:38 GMT
#948
Reactive double Spire depends heavily on if you are able to defend the initial harassment, as well as how many losses you suffered with the inital attack.

Usually the first push from the Zerg causes heavy losses on one side or the other. It sounds obvious, but if it's the 12 minute roach max, then it will depend heavily on things like Mothership positioning, and building placement. With that in mind, if the toss is able to hold the attack, Zerg is severely behind in tech, and threw away a ton of resources. As a result, the toss should begin the Recall harass, and if you can't defend your new expansions from this, then double Spire isn't going to save you, regardless of how awesome the composition is against Skytoss.

But if you were able to do a reasonable amount of damage (20+ probes, a Nexus, etc), then you likely have forced the toss to sit in their base in order to recover, it's a viable response. However, you must keep up on upgrades, otherwise the investment isn't that worth it, because Toss is likely already ahead of you because of how early the Core is compared to the Spires.
pixelAsurA
Profile Joined August 2012
United States15 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 23:54:23
August 20 2012 23:53 GMT
#949
Just to clarify, I meant that my reaction was to effectively transition into "sky zerg." :O I haven't played in far too long (No access to a computer) but I remember one game where upon scouting him going skytoss, I ceased roach production and threw down a spire. I proceeded to make 8 or so mutas to chase off 2-3 voidrays, and he responded with ~4 phoenix, then I double expanded to 5 base and pumped corruptors all game long, literally flying around in his base sniping his units as they finished, not allowing P's units to accumulate. I ended up winning a very very long game that basically consisted of him not getting a fourth and mining out.
I never have anything interesting to say, but I have enough trivial things to say that it doesn't matter. ~~~ http://namelesspixel.net/node/92 ~~~ mid masters zerg streaming most of the time
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
August 21 2012 18:10 GMT
#950
On August 21 2012 08:53 pixelAsurA wrote:
Just to clarify, I meant that my reaction was to effectively transition into "sky zerg." :O I haven't played in far too long (No access to a computer) but I remember one game where upon scouting him going skytoss, I ceased roach production and threw down a spire. I proceeded to make 8 or so mutas to chase off 2-3 voidrays, and he responded with ~4 phoenix, then I double expanded to 5 base and pumped corruptors all game long, literally flying around in his base sniping his units as they finished, not allowing P's units to accumulate. I ended up winning a very very long game that basically consisted of him not getting a fourth and mining out.


Sen used to do this. He would make the mutas, like you did, and then make a bunch of corruptors. I think it's a smart response from the zerg because you can often outproduce the protoss due to having a faster third pair of gases and having pre-established production buildings that, unlike extra stargates, don't require a bunch of 150 gas investments (just the 200/200 spire). Then the mutas can often go over there and do a ton of damage, and the toss doesn't have enough ground to handle the mutas. If the protoss wants to beat that composition with air, it basically takes a bunch of higher-upgraded range phoenixes kiting them around the map.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
j.k.l
Profile Joined September 2012
112 Posts
September 16 2012 14:47 GMT
#951
where is the build order?
~ Spirit will set you free ~
piroko139
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-16 15:06:53
September 16 2012 15:00 GMT
#952
On September 16 2012 23:47 j.k.l wrote:
where is the build order?


There is no set build order. The bulk of it working is being able to hide your tech until the Mothership arrives. You open up forge expand however you want, into Stargate. I tend to get the Fleet Beacon after my Phoenix spawns to confirm that there are no more Overlords nearby. After that, you take your third based on your scouting, or if your Mothership spawns, whichever tips you off that you're safe. After that, transition into triple or 4x Stargate, based on if you want to go Void Rays or Carriers respectively.

-FFE
-Stargate
-Fleet Beacon when free from scouting
-Mothership (Chronoboost the crap out of it, seriously)
-Third
-Xx Stargates
-???
-Profit

-Edit-
I have also been experimenting with the idea of just getting a Mothership in order to establish the third, and then transition into other stuff. Basically, is it possible to Mothership Expand into, say, a 7 gate pressure to further secure the third? So far, it's not been fruitful, but I will keep this thread posted on developments in the matter.
Rimak
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark434 Posts
September 16 2012 17:14 GMT
#953
On September 16 2012 23:47 j.k.l wrote:
where is the build order?


As piroko139 said, there is no strict BO, but overall was explained very vell.

Out of 1st SG you get VR to clear the map, and 1 PHX to scout.
After first stargate get +1 Air and later WG.

When you start your third, add up to 7 gateways to produce zealots, so your third should be protected by zealots, cannon, VR and MS.

Get robo and templar archives.
While getting obs, archons and warp prism use your pre-warped zealots for double-pronged attack.
Zealots go into 3rd (or 4th), your air into the main, DON'T LOSE YOUR AIR - use a recall.

~18 minutes you would have archon-zealot, VR, carrier, HT deathball which can help you safely secure the 4th.

Past 20 minutes It's most probably over for the Zerg, just don't do stupid things and remember to split against fungals.

Also 4 I, personally really rarely go into 4 SG.

This is just an overview - as It's much better to understand weaknesses and strengths of the build by yourself.
2000 Jungler 66% Hecarim, 63% Volibear, 60% Jarvan IV
andas
Profile Joined August 2011
Norway11 Posts
April 10 2013 09:03 GMT
#954
Anyone tried this one HOTS?

I assume some of it is harder because of the Viper?
I haven't played much in HOTS and would like to know if this strat is still viable.
Audere Est Facere
Daimai
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Sweden762 Posts
April 11 2013 00:33 GMT
#955
On April 10 2013 18:03 andas wrote:
Anyone tried this one HOTS?

I assume some of it is harder because of the Viper?
I haven't played much in HOTS and would like to know if this strat is still viable.


Hydra is more standard now since theyve been buffed which means its much harder to go air right away. Also mothership has been nerfed, you need the invisibility to defend against most attacks.
To pray is to accept defeat.
Prev 1 46 47 48 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1334
ComeBackTV 564
SteadfastSC476
TaKeTV 391
LamboSC2263
IndyStarCraft 139
Rex138
EnkiAlexander 55
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 476
LamboSC2 263
ProTech140
IndyStarCraft 139
Rex 138
BRAT_OK 63
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41777
Shuttle 2548
EffOrt 869
Horang2 785
Light 774
Mini 714
Soma 429
firebathero 349
Stork 344
BeSt 326
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 287
Snow 249
Rush 245
ggaemo 223
ZerO 167
Leta 153
Pusan 78
hero 75
Sharp 56
Sea.KH 55
Killer 54
sorry 39
Shinee 39
Mind 37
Shine 32
Mong 31
ToSsGirL 30
Bale 25
Trap 23
soO 22
Sexy 21
Terrorterran 19
Free 17
Sacsri 13
zelot 7
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Noble 3
Dota 2
Gorgc9227
Dendi957
qojqva727
Fuzer 199
420jenkins129
Counter-Strike
markeloff712
fl0m211
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1991
crisheroes1369
XaKoH 183
Other Games
singsing1984
B2W.Neo921
Liquid`VortiX196
Hui .186
ArmadaUGS152
QueenE100
Mew2King94
Trikslyr24
Railgan20
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 5
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile115
• Gemini_19 10
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
• intothetv
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 15
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2173
League of Legends
• Jankos2353
• Nemesis2284
• TFBlade963
Other Games
• WagamamaTV209
• Shiphtur64
Upcoming Events
OSC
9h 4m
Stellar Fest
22h 4m
OSC
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 19h
Online Event
1d 20h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.