• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:56
CEST 03:56
KST 10:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6945 users

TeamLiquid, meet PgR21.com

Forum Index > News
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
January 09 2007 14:56 GMT
#1

[image loading]


Recently TL.net participated in the Sandlot Tournament hosted by Blizzard. Apart from being a fun tourny, it also provided the opportunity for the heads of the major starcraft sites to get together and talk shop. Today I want to introduce one of the sites which took part in the tournament, and in many ways, is the Korean brother to TeamLiquid.

PgR is a progaming fansite in Korea that features an active forum, game reports, and rankings, not unlike TL. Hangzri is one of the main administrators at PgR21.com, and recently we talked about some of the interesting things happening at the site, some of which affect the BW world outside Korea.




We started out with some basic information on the site itself...

Manifesto7: So how old is PgR, and how long have you run it?
Hangzri PgR is the site master, and he started it in 2001. He is very busy these days though. I joined in Fall 2001. Now we have five admins, and some weird rules.

Manifesto7: Oh yeah? Give me some examples.
Hangzri Posts in the forums should be over 15 lines, to prevent trash posts. We are also strict about spelling, and emoticons. They are rarely allowed.

Manifesto7: Ahh, and you hae to be a member for a long time before you can post right?
Hangzri Yes...

Manifesto7: have* (spelling TT)
Manifesto7: emoticons TTTT
Hangzri haha. Yes, you need to be a member for two months and reach level nine to write.

Manifesto7: Wow. Maybe TL can learn some lessons from this. So what is the specialty of the site? Why is it different or special?
Hangzri Well, most online communities are focused on Liberty rather than Order. But we think being polite to others is just like offline. Communicating carefully with each other is the most important thing because we cannot see faces or emotions. Misleading and misunderstandings are so prevailing online.

Manifesto7: I agree with that.
Hangzri We don't want a jewel in the chaos, we want a small, sound cafe with some manners. (Actually we are big now;; too big.)

Manifesto7: How many members do you have?
Hangzri More than 20,000. We are the biggest SC community in Korea.

One of the reasons we did this interview, was because of some developments that have been happening on the PGR21 boards. Recently, they have opened a translation board where articles produced by their members are translated into English for the foreign community to read. It is their hope that the relationship can work both ways, and that some of the best articles produced by the foreign community can be translated to Korean....

Hangzri Hey check this out: http://www.pgr21.com/zboard4/zboard.php?id=translation

Manifesto7: Very nice work on that article.
Hangzri Thanks, we are still aggregating that post. [note: it is finished now. Click on the thread by Forgotten_]

Manifesto7: So why did you decide to do this?
Hangzri We wanted to communicate with SC fans outside Korea

Manifesto7: Do you want English speakers to make accounts on PGR?
Hangzri This is our goal, but we have some technical problems to work out first.

Manifesto7: What kind of material are you going to translate?
Hangzri We will translate some statistical analysis of Mania, opinions of fans, and some professionals in the industry.

Manifesto7: How many of your forum members can speak English do you think?
Hangzri Maybe many of our members can read English (regardless of speed), but writing in English is so much more difficult.

Manifesto7: Do you think the people on your forums have much interest in BW outside Korea? How about foreign tournaments?
Hangzri Sure. If there is enough explination in Korean and replays, I think many people would be excited.

Manifesto7: Well, I will try to find someone on TL who can be a bridge between our site and yours, and hopefully suggest some TL threads to translate.
Hangzri Sure go ahead, as long as that person is a pretty girl.

Manifesto7: haha.
Hangzri

As if the translation board was not enough, PGR21 is set to announce that they are hosting a tournament featuring the players of the Sandlot. This will be a large tournament, and I am really looking forward to it...

Manifesto7: So this is a tournament featuring the players from the Sandlot tournament teams? What is the format like?
Hangzri Yes, we are looking for all the mannered players from the Sandlot. It will be a single elimination tournament, with best 2 of 3 for the last 16 (maybe).

Manifesto7: What maps will you use?
Hangzri The map choice policy will be thumbs down and randomly picked. [Note: I gather this to mean out of the pool, both players can refuse one map, and then it will be randomly chosen from the remaining ones.] The map pool will be discussed on our site with the fans.

Manifesto7: How about the prizes?
Hangzri First prize will be about $2,000. The total prize pool will be about $3,000.

Manifesto7: Wow, good money. I am Liquid`Nazgul, sign me up. I beat In_Dove.
Hangzri Naz you there now? How?

Manifesto7: No, I just want to play myself so I'll take his ID.
Hangzri Haha, the replays will reveal it, don't take that chance.

Manifesto7: I think the game play would reveal it first...

Looks like PGR is a busy place, and I hope that TL can be more connected with the site as time goes on. Time to wrap up with a few final questions...

Manifesto7: Ok, a few more questions. Who do you think will win the proleague, SKT1 or MBC?
Hangzri Heh, I haven't thought of it, but I will say MBC this time.

Manifesto7: What will the score be?
Hangzri 4:3 I hope!

Manifesto7: Ok. If you could have one player in the world play a game to save your life, who would it be?
Hangzri Hahaha, that was a dino-Old question to SC fans!

Manifesto7: :p
Hangzri My answer was TheMarine that time... (in BW.com). This time it will be SaviOr.

Manifesto7: Good choice. I think you live
Hangzri haha GOOD!

Manifesto7: Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope we can work together and keep the translations active. Good luck with the tourny too.
Hangzri Thank you, next time I will interview you with your pics.

Manifesto7: Haha, ok I will find some handsome pictures.
Hangzri Of Midian?

Manifesto7: Haha, I think all of PGR is in love with Midian. [He was on their Sandlot team, and kicked ass as always with manner and skill.]
Hangzri Haha, yes.

Manifesto7: Thanks again.
Hangzri Bye.




So, big news indeed. I hope that everybody will bookmark the PGR translation section and take a moment to read. The articles produced there really put ours to shame sometimes, and I think they are a great example of what could be accomplished here too. Our forums share so much in common, that I hope we can become closer and work together. Here is a quick summary of what to look out for in the near future:
  • PGR's Translation Board, the first post was translated by Forgotten_, SeeY, and Qck mini.
  • The Sandlot Tournament v.2, PGR21 style
  • A TeamLiquid ambassador who will find high quality TeamLiquid articles to translate into Korean, furthering the relationship between the two sites.

Thanks again to Hangzri, and good luck.

Mani
ModeratorGodfather
ManaBlue
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Canada10458 Posts
January 09 2007 15:08 GMT
#2
Haha, handsome pics of midian.
Nice interview Mani.

It's really cool that pgr is looking at doing translational work between the kor/foreign communities. We all love that type of material, and I think we have something to share with the koreans as well.

Good stuff.
ModeratorTL VOD legends: Live2Win, hasuprotoss, Cadical, rinizim, Mani, thedeadhaji, Kennigit, SonuvBob, yakii, fw, pheer, CDRdude, pholon, Uraeus, zatic, baezzi. The contributors make this site what it is. *Props to FakeSteve for respecting the guitar gods*
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
January 09 2007 15:22 GMT
#3
Wow, this really sounds like it could lead to a prolific cooperation between the Korean and the Foreign community, being represented by pgr21.com and tl.net. I am looking forward to it. And this Hangzri admin sounds like a nice guy, get him to post here
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
psychosis
Profile Joined November 2006
Sweden107 Posts
January 09 2007 15:28 GMT
#4
Very nice interview, Mani. Fun to see that the Koreans actually are interested in the non-korean scene as well. Hope this cooperation will work out well.
ToT)Testie(
Profile Joined September 2006
Canada723 Posts
January 09 2007 15:43 GMT
#5
Yes, we are looking for all the mannered players from the Sandlot. It will be a single elimination tournament, with best 2 of 3 for the last 16 (maybe).


Ahem! Excuse me, sir. I say sir!
[GiTM]-Ace
Profile Joined September 2002
United States4935 Posts
January 09 2007 15:43 GMT
#6
hehe nice nice interview. I really hope we do get close connections with them. And I'm definitely looking forward to that tournament.
I may not be the best player right now but I think I can beat any 'best' players. I'll beat all the best players and become the best player. Watch me. - Jju
intrigue
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Washington, D.C9935 Posts
January 09 2007 16:22 GMT
#7
they seem really cool over there =)
Moderatorsloppy little slug
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-01-09 16:32:00
January 09 2007 16:31 GMT
#8
On January 10 2007 00:43 ToT)Testie( wrote:
Yes, we are looking for all the mannered players from the Sandlot. It will be a single elimination tournament, with best 2 of 3 for the last 16 (maybe).

Ahem! Excuse me, sir. I say sir!

!!!

JK

----
Anyway, I hope this works out well. Unfortunately I don't speak Korean, but I hope someone who does will volunteer from TL
(uh oh, neither 15 lines, nor a lack of emoticons in my post T_T)
oneofthem
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Cayman Islands24199 Posts
January 09 2007 16:33 GMT
#9
Wow, really interesting analysis of maps. I think we can learn a thing or two from these guys.
+ Show Spoiler +

http://www.pgr21.com/zboard4/zboard.php?id=translation&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&sn=off&ss=on&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=1
We have fed the heart on fantasies, the heart's grown brutal from the fare, more substance in our enmities than in our love
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
January 09 2007 16:38 GMT
#10
yeah, I've been reading their translated thread for 15 minutes, it rocks
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Hangzri
Profile Joined September 2006
Korea (South)10 Posts
January 09 2007 16:50 GMT
#11
Thx for ur saying welcome

We just announced our Tourney is open.
In a day or two, Eng version of the tourney announcement will be post here, too

And I should pick this post to our site haha.

Thank u again and hope to get closer
I am from PGR21. I am a staff in that. And PGR21 team captain of Sandlot :)
SISKH
Profile Joined December 2006
60 Posts
January 09 2007 17:01 GMT
#12
--- Nuked ---
XellOs_PlutO
Profile Joined August 2003
Korea (South)166 Posts
January 09 2007 17:01 GMT
#13
good stuff here
Perstare et Praestare
FakeSteve[TPR]
Profile Blog Joined July 2003
Valhalla18444 Posts
January 09 2007 17:24 GMT
#14
On January 10 2007 02:01 SISKH wrote:
I only see the TL admins trying to get gayer.....


Shut your fucking mouth, plebian!
Moderatormy tatsu loops r fuckin nice
Insane
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States4991 Posts
January 09 2007 17:50 GMT
#15
On January 10 2007 02:01 SISKH wrote:
I only see the TL admins trying to get gayer.....

Eh what? I don't really have any clue what you mean, do you not like the news or something?
Nyovne
Profile Joined March 2006
Netherlands19141 Posts
January 09 2007 17:53 GMT
#16
On January 10 2007 02:01 SISKH wrote:
--- Nuked ---

Dropped like it's hot.

Nice to see them turned some attention outwards and making a real effort of making it work. I hope we can make a few steps towards them and their goal to close the gap they are trying to bridge.

He also seems a very nice and mannered person with good english. Seems you guys had a nice and enjoyable talk.

Thanks for the stuff Mani as always! Hope to see this tree bear some fruit in the future.
ModeratorFor remember, that in the end, some are born to live, others born to die. I belong to those last, born to burn, born to cry. For I shall remain alone... forsaken.
pyrogenetix
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
China5098 Posts
January 09 2007 17:56 GMT
#17
wow cool this is definately awesome awesome news =D

this really seems to be the connection between korean and foreigner bw communities we've been lookin for

great work mani =D


and that post abt the map seriously owned... -__-)a
Yea that looks just like Kang Min... amazing game sense... and uses mind games well, but has the micro of a washed up progamer.
snowbird
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Germany2044 Posts
January 09 2007 17:57 GMT
#18
great opportunity to practise some korean while reading interesting texts
@riotsnowbird
BinGBonG[gamei]
Profile Joined May 2003
Netherlands514 Posts
January 09 2007 18:07 GMT
#19
lol with that rules there would be 0 commands right now ;p
Smoke weed everyday ~-_-~
xM(Z
Profile Joined November 2006
Romania5299 Posts
January 09 2007 18:42 GMT
#20
- the brigde has been build -
a huge step forward for bw comunity
thank you
(if you take sugestions - from time to time if you (pgr21.com) can transtale a first person vod it would be awsome . i dont understand korean and i really want to know how they analyse a game )
And my fury stands ready. I bring all your plans to nought. My bleak heart beats steady. 'Tis you whom I have sought.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings74
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 153
RuFF_SC2 131
ProTech117
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14642
Rain 2247
Artosis 596
NaDa 28
Bale 19
League of Legends
Doublelift3482
Counter-Strike
taco 365
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox770
Mew2King129
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1144
Other Games
summit1g9930
Day[9].tv713
JimRising 614
C9.Mang0324
PiGStarcraft321
ViBE52
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV267
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP75
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv713
• Scarra521
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
11h 4m
OSC
20h 4m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 8h
Online Event
1d 9h
FEL
1d 14h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 15h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 17h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.