• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:38
CEST 03:38
KST 10:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7912 users

The Rekrul Korea Story - Page 6

Forum Index > TL Community
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 20 Next All
TheGreenBeret
Profile Joined June 2004
United Kingdom548 Posts
January 09 2005 01:09 GMT
#101
at least when ur retired u can lie on ur death bed and think "i made a difference....i won a load of money of some dumbass suckers playing poker."
FrinkX
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States958 Posts
January 09 2005 01:12 GMT
#102
:D nice article
ObsoleteLogic
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3676 Posts
January 09 2005 01:16 GMT
#103
This old post is unavailable due to an encoding issue. Please contact an admin if you would like this post restored for historical reasons.
sMi.Silent // Siz)Silent
pooper-scooper
Profile Joined May 2003
United States3108 Posts
January 09 2005 01:20 GMT
#104
great article Rek... very thoughtful. Do you think as a tall white man, I could get a job in Korea in two years? I've got a balchelors in Physics, and can speak english. I could spend some time learning Korean.

I also am certified to teach physics and Math.

I would love to leave the country in a couple of years, and do just SOMETHING in Korea, would be great.
Good...Bad... Im the guy with the gun
MannerKiss
Profile Joined June 2003
United States2398 Posts
January 09 2005 01:39 GMT
#105
Gl, hope to see you on ESPN playing poker!
I want an igloo.
racebannon
Profile Joined January 2004
Canada1225 Posts
January 09 2005 01:44 GMT
#106
congratulations on living a dream and becoming the envy of many of us. I often entertain the idea of just dropping everything and moving to some foreign place just to see if I can handle it
when they really get to know you they will run
ejai63
Profile Joined November 2002
United States2101 Posts
January 09 2005 01:45 GMT
#107
On January 09 2005 10:20 pooper-scooper wrote:
great article Rek... very thoughtful. Do you think as a tall white man, I could get a job in Korea in two years? I've got a balchelors in Physics, and can speak english. I could spend some time learning Korean.

I also am certified to teach physics and Math.

I would love to leave the country in a couple of years, and do just SOMETHING in Korea, would be great.


Yes you could, but it would probably be very shitty. There are tons of foreigners in Korea who teach English, and most don't make a lot of money. If you have connections or very good business skills, then you can build up your clientele and really rake in some good cash, but doing this is very difficult.
1-10-5
rS.heaven
Profile Joined October 2004
Canada154 Posts
January 09 2005 01:56 GMT
#108
rekrul i always had an "oppinion" about you
and u just shattered that, good luck in korea
and thank for the brillant article
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Elsi
Profile Joined October 2002
United Kingdom8173 Posts
January 09 2005 02:11 GMT
#109
Can you release some replays of yourself practicing fo a tournament or whatever!
TeRRan`UseR
Profile Joined December 2004
Canada692 Posts
January 09 2005 02:11 GMT
#110
I really hope this article helps a lot of teens see the light. There are so many kids wasting away their 13-19 year old years playing starcraft in hopes of making it big in Korea. They miss out on events which all teens should experience because they play starcraft constantly. An amazing. inspirational article, I give it 5 stars * * * * *
AKAs FreeloSS @USwest Freel0ss @Europe
Servolisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2003
United States5241 Posts
January 09 2005 02:13 GMT
#111
On January 09 2005 11:11 Elsi wrote:
Can you release some replays of yourself practicing fo a tournament or whatever!


Yeah, that would go really well with this article.

On a side note, Rekrul has said what Maynard has been saying here for a long time, but people seemed to have responded better to it coming from Rekrul.
wtf was that signature
Tien
Profile Joined January 2003
Russian Federation4447 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-09 02:21:55
January 09 2005 02:17 GMT
#112
On January 09 2005 07:58 Tress wrote:
Show nested quote +
the night life / social scene is INCREDIBLY good and too god damn easy for tall white boys

So Rekrul, instead of making it big in the progaming scene, you've started "succeeding in life" by going into night clubs and getting an asian girlfriend? You've discovered your sexuality in Korea or something? What success is that? Were you perhaps a virgin going into Korea? You had never been in a city before?

You make it sound like you've somehow grown up now, but the thing which still reveals you as a dreamer is your poker talk. How much money do you make from playing internet poker? If you'd never played Starcraft and just got an education quickly, become a lawyer or a succesful businessman you'd make 50 times that and you'd have a lot of experience and a career by now. You would meet a lot of interesting people and you could build a life for yourself. You went to Korea with the idea that your skills in a computer game would get you through life, and now that you know that you were naive to assume that you go into assuming that poker will get you somewhere? You sound like a street hustler who sells dope on a day by day basis and thinks he's going to have a pension or something when he's old.

I'm sorry but you just seem to be afraid that people will make fun of your non-existent Starcraft skills. You never had any chance in progaming, like noone here does, but still you made it sound like you did. Now you're really disappointed that you in fact don't, and you want to explain everyone how cruel the real world is like. Well wake up kid and smell the coffee. After a while you'll realise that clubbing and partying takes you nowhere and you'll go back to USA with your tail between your legs and get back to school and everything starts from scratch once again. You can write another sorry post here then.

What will you have gained? Experience from life for sure. You'll know what not to do in the future. What you should have done is go into a university and be an exchange student for 2-3 years in a country of your choosing, or even many countries. You can see the world and enjoy it while actually doing something useful, like making yourself a better man. I did that, and now I have a career in law while you try to explain a bunch of 13 year old kids that in real life you have to work to be able to live. Yeah you're the man.


This post has the word JEALOUSY written all over it.

Stop trying to judge other people when you know little or nothing about who they are.

BTW, funny how you mentioned he could go to school and be a lawyer like you. This is definately jealousy.
We decide our own destiny
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-09 02:19:41
January 09 2005 02:19 GMT
#113
I read the whole thing and basically what I feel from reading it is disappointment.

Not disappointed in Rekrul particularly. Idk how to explain it. I feel disappointed that Rekrul feels the way he does and about the opinions he has formed in his short time in Korea.

There are quite a few things I disagree with in Rekrul's post.

I'm sure everyone knows [ anyone older than 12 ] that progaming is not for foreigners. Maybe it's something genetic, but other than Giyom, nobody else in the history of the world will be able to compete with the top tier Koreans now and in the future. [ No, I'm not being racist/supremist ] I am also quite sure that everyone here knows that the things they see in VODs is indeed glamorous. Not fake and unachievable as Rekrul seems to think. Those gamers have worked hard to get TV matches. Rek explained it, now you know in detail how hard it is to achieve pro-gamer status. So, what I am saying is that I strongly disagree on the point that what you see on VODs is not glamorous. They worked damn hard, it IS glamorous, and because Rekrul has never been on a TV match he will not know how much work it takes. However, neither do I. One thing we both are, are lovers of starcraft, and the other difference is that Rek has experienced part of the struggle it takes to become a progamer.

We are both spectators of this game and have seen gamers cry, laugh, hug, and show all other emotions in leagues, tournaments, and even regular matches. If this is not real [ as in real life ] then I don't know what is. One thing I think Rekrul underestimates is the Korean culture aspect. Again, we differ here. I know Korean culture better than Rekrul because I am Korean and that is a fact. With that said, I feel like the culture is what allows those top tier pro-gamers to rise to a level unattainable by others using hours of their life on progaming rather than on a real job that is more stable.

Of course we all had small hopes in our minds when Rek departed for Korea, but I'm sure most of us knew he would not do anything great there. Some of us even predicted this happening before Rek even got on the plane. [ I was one of them ]

But I'm glad that Rek has chosen the best path for him. I'm glad it has not taken him as long as Elky and Assem and to a certain extent Giyom to quit starcraft and choose a better life because there are just way too many people better at starcraft than them. I'm glad he loves poker and that it happens to be the thing that keeps the money coming. I'm happy that a fellow teamliquid member feels good with the choices that he has made in life.

I am only disheartened with the image of progaming he leaves with.

That's about it. Hey this is my 2000th post!

By the way Rek, if you're 19, I doubt you will ever learn to speak Korean fluently.
PuertoRican
Profile Joined April 2004
United States5709 Posts
January 09 2005 02:27 GMT
#114
i still love you Dan, this doesnt change anything about you as a person, i will still talk to you on AIM and at the next wcg, just not as much now ;( <3
If anyone orders any merlot Im leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking merlot.
RedAreStupid.
Profile Joined March 2003
Sweden476 Posts
January 09 2005 02:30 GMT
#115
really enjoyed reading ur post rekrul,nice, btw can i get your progaming place?
is is the best
PuertoRican
Profile Joined April 2004
United States5709 Posts
Last Edited: 2005-01-09 02:36:56
January 09 2005 02:33 GMT
#116
On January 09 2005 09:25 Tress wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 09 2005 09:16 Legionnaire wrote:
Tress, Rekrul made more in the last 2 months than the entire team put together, i'm pretty sure he makes more than you too

I don't see what that has got to do with anything, but since we're on the subject may I ask how much is that? I'm only 24 and straight out of law school so there's a limit to what I can earn in my job, but it's around 10K $ for two months at the moment. If Rekrul made more from poker and can keep on doing that for the rest of his life or even increase his income drastically, I really don't understand why he's been wasting time with a kids game like SC. But like someone else said, life is about other things than money too, and I enjoy what I do.

Hautamäki, you suck


wow, so you dont see why he was wasting his time with a kids game? get the fuck off this site if you think sc is a kids game. its called "love of the game". i know plenty of people who are older than i am, who play sc, im 22. the oldest person i know is 51 or 53


p.s. Dan, since you won a lot recently, loan some to Frink, he lost all his ;P
If anyone orders any merlot Im leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking merlot.
mrmin123 *
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Korea (South)2971 Posts
January 09 2005 02:36 GMT
#117
great article rekrul... have fun and good luck in the future
Translator태양은 묘지위에 붉게 떠오르고 / 한낮에 찌는 더위는 나의 시련 일찌라!
St3MoR
Profile Joined November 2002
Spain3256 Posts
January 09 2005 02:38 GMT
#118
well looks like your trip was not what u were expecting at first, but i'm glad it turned out this way and i hope u have luck from now on. Enjoy Korea man
Prophet in TL of the Makoto0124 ways
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
January 09 2005 02:51 GMT
#119
Tress you easily made the dumbest post in this short year. Congratulations.

Dan, through our conversations it has been apparent that while SC was the vessel that brought you to Korea, poker has been the engine that has allowed you to stay. It is a rare gift to be able to sustain yourself wherever you are through the game, and I am glad that you are taking advantage of the situation.

As someone who has also experienced living in another asian culture, I can share some of your appreciation for the experiences and impacts it can have on your life. One of the most important parts I believe is the fact that you are only 19 years old, so there is no pressure on you to "get on with your life" as some people here would argue. There is no reason that you shouldnt stay, learn another language, and just enjoy a different world.

I enjoyed the look at the way SC fits into Korean society, and it confirmed my opinions of it being a niche market. I would be interested to know about it's growth or decline, or whether the size is stagnant. I think that with the apparent success of KTF's unit in creating new revenue that more money will be pumped into teams, but that is all dependant of people still watching the game.

Anyways, good luck with the move, and you better stick around these boards.

Cheers,
Trevor.

ModeratorGodfather
Sasory
Profile Joined October 2004
Romania13 Posts
January 09 2005 02:54 GMT
#120
Is a good thing that you still have a choice but to me it looks like u didn't have the right attitude twards the whole thing. Did you really thinck that 6months will be enough? The moment you start having negative thoughts, it was all over. Good post, but you have to read between the lines a little bit. I really hope to see foreigners kick some korean ass but as long as people study them, there is no hope. U can't beat a man at his own game. You must have....your own style?
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft473
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft473
WinterStarcraft198
RuFF_SC2 109
PiLiPiLi 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1110
White-Ra 168
NaDa 60
Noble 55
Hyuk 54
Bale 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm183
LuMiX1
League of Legends
Doublelift5272
Counter-Strike
taco 523
minikerr19
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox634
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor703
Other Games
summit1g7782
Coldzera 865
C9.Mang0338
ViBE62
ArmadaUGS43
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick692
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream82
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 83
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21587
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 22m
Online Event
9h 22m
FEL
14h 22m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 22m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.