• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:08
CEST 00:08
KST 07:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8564 users

Lagfree laptop for SC2 gaming? - Page 2

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 01 2012 20:05 GMT
#21
i7-2630QM (Turbo to 2.8 GHz on 2 cores active) might be closer than you think to i5-3510M (Turbo to 2.9 GHz on 2 cores active) because of the difference in L3 cache. i7-2630QM gets 6MB while i5-3510M gets 3MB. The architectural differences on Sandy vs. Ivy don't amount to much.


Anyway, you're not going to be able to do much better for SC2 than an Ivy Bridge laptop i5 at that budget. I'm not finding super-duper deals on anything in DK. And it's not like a game like that will actually overload the cooling on most systems unless there's too much dust or the bottom is placed on a poor surface. You're not actually maxing out a dual core, and loading the GPU consistently all the way. All laptops need maintenance.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 01 2012 20:09 GMT
#22
^ A very succinct way of putting it.

I actually thought the 2630QM had the same clock speed as the 3510M, but yeah.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Daewon
Profile Joined October 2008
127 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-01 22:45:24
July 01 2012 22:30 GMT
#23
wow this thread is turning into a nightmare for a guy like me, who knows absolutely nothing about computers haha ;-)

Thanks for all the answers guys.

Just to clarify:
Travel a lot in this case means staying here for 4 months, there for 3 months, etc. Once I'm settled I will buy a stationary. I insist on the laptop being at least 17", no way in hell will I play SC2 on less. I'm basically looking to get a mobile stationary experience as cheaply as possible :-). As for the pricing - Denmark is silly expensive, this is by far the best laptop in this price range, most others don't even have a discrete GPU, and less Ram too.

I must say, I was a bit surprised about the laptop being dismissed by some, after having seen a similar build on youtube run battlefield 3 maxed (link). Pretty sure that game is much more taxing on at least the GPU than SC2 is. Sure the FPS is not great but still...

As far as I can read the CPU should not be bottlenecking me (though not everyone agrees).

Another question. Will the HDD being 5300 rpm in any way affect my SC2 experience? I couldn't care less about the loading time being increased from say 6 seconds to 20 or whatever, that's fine. Will it affect SC2 ingame in any way?

Oh one final thing. I definetly qualify for the term "hardcore gamer", focusing exclusively on SC2. It seems as if some people here are suggesting that performance will drop significantly after a few hours of playing, I don't get it? I'm not talking about the dust issue, but rather the idea that somehow performance will be worse once I launch my 15th game 4 hours after playing my 1st?

So can I safely assume that this laptop will run SC2/low perfectly while SC2/high+ is more questionable.

Thank you so much guys, truly appreciate it.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-01 23:15:04
July 01 2012 23:07 GMT
#24
Oh hey it's a 17 inch. So few people do that, I didn't expect it XD.

A 17 inch should have very little trouble dissipating that heat imo, although it IS acer. I honestly doubt that you'll have any real trouble with throttling, you should be able to play SC2 on whatever setting you start at continuously, although I wouldn't go past medium personally, because I prefer fluidity over anything, and would prefer to play a quality level under what I should in order to get the most frames possible.

The HDD will have no effect ingame on SC2, and your CPU won't bottleneck you.

I don't really know denmarkish prices so I don't actually know how expensive it is, but check out the Dell Inspiron 17R SE. It might be too expensive for you though.

The HP dv7, while HP and kind of sucky imo, will give you a lot of power for what you pay for, but then you might run into heat problems. The Acer isn't a bad idea, with the particular parts in a 17 inch form factor, cooling it should be pretty simple.

Edit: Notebookcheck reviewed your exact model Here. Good news: while it DOES throttle there when on Furmark, it only throttles on Furmark. Additionally, all the parts are higher TDP than what you have, the 630M should consume a lot less power than the 650M i.e. less heat. And the 3210M has a 10W lower TDP than the 3610QM, and might consume less power anyways because of dual cores and not 4.

Notebookcheck says "We performed 3DMark 2006 benchmark directly after the stress test to see if this(throttling on furmark) had an impact during normal usage. The result does not differ much compared with the cold state. Thus, thermal throttling should not be an issue under normal usage and during gaming."

So, unless you plan to play SC2 while running Furmark, I see no reason why it shouldn't meet your needs.

Where are you buying from? If you're in the US spending 1020 USD on that, you're overpaying... if you're in Europe, I have no idea.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 01 2012 23:27 GMT
#25
The CPU is an issue in 200/200 battles and the like, which you already mentioned in the OP. Otherwise, it's pretty much fine and actually will run the game better than some recent desktop hardware (anything AMD and some older-generation Intel, or something lower than Core i3).

I'm not so sure about the GT 630M using a lot less power than the GT 650M, since the GT 630M is a rebranded 40nm part whereas the GT 650M is a more power-efficient 28nm part. But I doubt the GT 630M uses considerably more power, so I don't think it would be more than that laptop's cooling can handle. (the idea that performance would be worse over time has to do with continued heavy use causing heat buildup, making temperatures go so high that the parts need to throttle down to slower speeds to protect themselves, hence you get worse performance. That probably isn't going to happen, and if it did, you may be able to just use a cooling pad.)

High settings on native resolution aren't going to happen with acceptable FPS. It's probably impossible on that budget.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 02 2012 03:39 GMT
#26
Well the GT630M actually has a die shrunk fermi version that has significantly reduced power consumption than the normal fermi version, but I guess there's still no idea as to whether or not it consumes less than an equivalent performing 28nm kepler card. Also there's no idea if Acer is using it. I know other companies like Dell are, but those are in more expensive ones, so I guess you can't actually know until you get it.

Yeah, I guess the CPU could bottleneck for a little bit in late game situations, but only for a moment likely, and you'll experience that with any CPU ifi there are enough lings on the map. But it's essentially the best you can do with your budget anyways.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
exousia_7
Profile Joined December 2011
Taiwan215 Posts
July 02 2012 04:16 GMT
#27
As much as I enjoy reading the arguments above regarding benchmarkings and what not, I'll just answer it simply for OP:

Yes, the laptop will run SC2 just fine on all low settings assuming you only play 1v1. I can't guarantee there will be 0 framerate drop for 4v4 200/200 battles, but on 1v1 it will be smooth enough for sure.

How do I know? I have a friend with Sandy Bridge Core i5 with a Radeon 6320 laptop and it runs just fine. The specs on this laptop is newer and better than my friend's laptop in terms of CPU and graphics. If he can run it, then this laptop will definitely run SC2 fine in low settings.
Zax19
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Czech Republic1136 Posts
July 02 2012 09:14 GMT
#28
On July 02 2012 08:27 Myrmidon wrote:
...
I'm not so sure about the GT 630M using a lot less power than the GT 650M, since the GT 630M is a rebranded 40nm part whereas the GT 650M is a more power-efficient 28nm part. But I doubt the GT 630M uses considerably more power, so I don't think it would be more than that laptop's cooling can handle.
...

That's one of the reasons I'm pushing for GT640/650. Depending on the application it's 40% to 90% more powerful than GT540, it’s actually cooler and the price of an Acer Aspire V3 with one should be below 1000USD.
Really Blizz, really? - Darnell
ObviousOne
Profile Joined April 2012
United States3704 Posts
July 04 2012 13:26 GMT
#29
On July 02 2012 13:16 exousia_7 wrote:
As much as I enjoy reading the arguments above regarding benchmarkings and what not, I'll just answer it simply for OP:

Yes, the laptop will run SC2 just fine on all low settings assuming you only play 1v1. I can't guarantee there will be 0 framerate drop for 4v4 200/200 battles, but on 1v1 it will be smooth enough for sure.

How do I know? I have a friend with Sandy Bridge Core i5 with a Radeon 6320 laptop and it runs just fine. The specs on this laptop is newer and better than my friend's laptop in terms of CPU and graphics. If he can run it, then this laptop will definitely run SC2 fine in low settings.

Yeah, this is what I would say, too.


You have to realize you probably won't be running SC2 at the highest quality settings on a budget laptop, not without significant tweaking (if at all). Settings and configuration (Windows, nVidia, SC2) will make all the difference on any new hardware with dedicated GFX.
Fear is the only darkness. ~Destiny Fan Club operator~
SoulReaver17
Profile Joined July 2012
Netherlands1 Post
July 06 2012 11:54 GMT
#30
Just dropping by to say;

I have the same specs, GeForce 630m, intel core 3210m 2,5 ghz, and it's not some weak laptop. I play Skyrim on low settings 1024*768 on 100 fps, medium 50-60.
Jaso
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2147 Posts
July 06 2012 12:10 GMT
#31
Consider a Lenovo y580 or customized Sager from xoticpc.com.
derp
lhr0909
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States562 Posts
July 06 2012 12:18 GMT
#32
On July 06 2012 21:10 Jaso wrote:
Consider a Lenovo y580 or customized Sager from xoticpc.com.


if your budget is tight, go for the 480. It is a bit smaller, but it does the job. I can use xsplit and play sc2 at the same time and still got very smooth fps
No Pain No Gain
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 110
SpeCial 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12250
Artosis 167
Bale 12
League of Legends
Doublelift2790
JimRising 452
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox260
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4903
Khaldor1146
Liquid`Hasu772
Other Games
summit1g7124
shahzam500
FrodaN155
ArmadaUGS111
NeuroSwarm71
Mew2King55
ViBE45
JuggernautJason41
PPMD13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV214
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream61
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 30
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 21
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie846
• Scarra342
• Shiphtur211
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 52m
Stellar Fest
14h 52m
OSC
23h 52m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.