• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:14
CEST 08:14
KST 15:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9680 users

Das Keyboard Professional Silent Key Fading

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Kingqway
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States155 Posts
July 01 2011 18:15 GMT
#1
Hello!

Approximately three weeks ago I got myself the Das Professional Silent and pretty much have no complaints other than the keys fading. What intrigues me is that the advertisement directly states:

"Laser-etched key cap inscriptions to prevent fading"

In this link here: http://www.daskeyboard.com/model-s-professional-silent/

Being that I worked to save up a good 110$ for this, I'm kind of a clean freak with it, and I'm curious if you other guys are having this same problem. Searching Google led me to a website where someone said laser-etched keys actually make fading easier so yeah, thats pretty much it. What are your experiences with the key caps fading? Currently my Shift, A, S, Alt & B button are starting to gray/darken out.

First of all is this fading? Or do I just need to clean my keycaps harder? Any tips from people with the Das Keyboards or just mechanical keyboards in general would be a great help; Thanks in advance!

P.S. Any cleaning & prevention tips outside of this http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=94807 would also be greatly appreciated
ddong
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
July 01 2011 18:37 GMT
#2
What do you mean by fading/grey-ing, are the keys starting to show some white-ish coat over the keys that can be wiped away?

Are your keys starting to shine?

I don't think there's much you can do about it. For the people who are extremely picky about the shining/graying/fading, the most surefire way to deal with it, is to purchase a set of PBT key-caps with the lettering literally etched/cut in to the plastic. PBT however is mroe textured, and not-finished.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
Kingqway
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States155 Posts
July 01 2011 18:53 GMT
#3
Thanks for the reply, it pretty much looks like this but not nearly as bad (More like the brightest parts of the A and O on the key), so I guess it is fading away. And thanks for the info on PBT.
[image loading]
ddong
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 19:46:47
July 01 2011 19:46 GMT
#4
On July 02 2011 03:53 Kingqway wrote:
Thanks for the reply, it pretty much looks like this but not nearly as bad (More like the brightest parts of the A and O on the key), so I guess it is fading away. And thanks for the info on PBT.
[image loading]

Yeah, my Filco has something like that, the white-crap that accumulates that I have to rub off with a cloth, though my keys don't seem to fade like that.

Just so you know, PBT keycaps, aren't the easiest things to come by.

If you want to, you usually have to wait for people on forums such as Geekhack (usually done by Geekhack forum employees) to organize group-buys, then they put in a massive order for whatever keys people want, colored, PBT, printed a certain way etc etc. And then you jump in on one of those.

Problem with that is, they are still quite expensive, I think there was a group-buy not long ago that come out to $60-70ish shipped for black on black engraved PBT key-caps. Tankguys, the store ran by overclock.net (the PC forum) They carry them, but they are currently out of stock atm.

http://www.tankguys.com/site-merchandise/overclock-net-pbt-cherry-black-black.html

I'm hoping that Tankguys get their PBT black on black keycaps in stock soon, I would really like to change out my keycaps, not that theres anything wrong with them, but they are getting shine-wear and I don't like having to wipe off the crap that accumulates so the etched look seems to work better.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
July 01 2011 19:51 GMT
#5
The keys are etched and filled with some white material. Over time the white material that sticks out will be rubbed away, leaving you with a somewhat muted grey-white inside the keycaps (you can feel the ridge of the keyprint turning into a valley over time). This seems perfectly normal to me.
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
daskeyboard
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5 Posts
July 01 2011 20:02 GMT
#6
Hey- I don't know if you've had the keyboard too long or what, but we do have a 30-day guarantee if you want to return it for another board. Not sure why that is happening as I have been typing on mine for about a month and haven't had that problem at all. A couple of the letters did look slightly faded, but when I took a damp cloth to them, I was able to wipe away what I guess were the oils from my fingers.

The fact that these keys have been laser etched and then filled should result in them not wearing down like the image you submitted. That one looks like the key was printed on, hence the fading.

If you aren't happy and it's still within the time period, check with our support team about the warranty:
http://www.daskeyboard.com/guarantee/

Sorry you are having a negative experience with the board. I will say if you can still feel the letter on the key, try cleaning it a bit harder as the filler is still there.
bunnybarrel
Profile Joined January 2011
2 Posts
July 01 2011 20:04 GMT
#7
Laser etching is supposed to last quite a long period of time. If it's only been three weeks I'd suggest raising a little bit of a stink over it. Daskeyboards will stand behind their product.

If you're looking for something guaranteed to last longer find a keyboard where the keys are printed by either dye sublimation or double-shot injection molding. You will definitely end up paying more for those though.

See:Mechanical Keyboard Guide
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2011 20:05 GMT
#8
On July 02 2011 05:02 daskeyboard wrote:
Hey- I don't know if you've had the keyboard too long or what, but we do have a 30-day guarantee if you want to return it for another board. Not sure why that is happening as I have been typing on mine for about a month and haven't had that problem at all. A couple of the letters did look slightly faded, but when I took a damp cloth to them, I was able to wipe away what I guess were the oils from my fingers.

The fact that these keys have been laser etched and then filled should result in them not wearing down like the image you submitted. That one looks like the key was printed on, hence the fading.

If you aren't happy and it's still within the time period, check with our support team about the warranty:
http://www.daskeyboard.com/guarantee/

Sorry you are having a negative experience with the board. I will say if you can still feel the letter on the key, try cleaning it a bit harder as the filler is still there.


Wow, never seen that before. Proactive customer service. Rather impressive.
Quanbsn
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Vietnam18 Posts
July 01 2011 20:34 GMT
#9
mine is just get dirty, not faded away.
Btw dear daskeyboard, what liquid should i use to clean the keycaps ? And what should i do to prevent it from dust ?, my keyboard seems to love dust...
Kingqway
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States155 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 21:53:39
July 01 2011 21:49 GMT
#10
On July 02 2011 04:46 echO [W] wrote:

Just so you know, PBT keycaps, aren't the easiest things to come by.

If you want to, you usually have to wait for people on forums such as Geekhack (usually done by Geekhack forum employees) to organize group-buys, then they put in a massive order for whatever keys people want, colored, PBT, printed a certain way etc etc. And then you jump in on one of those.

Problem with that is, they are still quite expensive, I think there was a group-buy not long ago that come out to $60-70ish shipped for black on black engraved PBT key-caps. Tankguys, the store ran by overclock.net (the PC forum) They carry them, but they are currently out of stock atm.

http://www.tankguys.com/site-merchandise/overclock-net-pbt-cherry-black-black.html

I'm hoping that Tankguys get their PBT black on black keycaps in stock soon, I would really like to change out my keycaps, not that theres anything wrong with them, but they are getting shine-wear and I don't like having to wipe off the crap that accumulates so the etched look seems to work better.


Hmm if they are that pricy I'll just probably just learn to live with the slight fading haha. Thanks a lot for the info though, appreciate the help! Too bad they don't have these at like bestbuy or something haha.

On July 02 2011 05:02 daskeyboard wrote:
Hey- I don't know if you've had the keyboard too long or what, but we do have a 30-day guarantee if you want to return it for another board. Not sure why that is happening as I have been typing on mine for about a month and haven't had that problem at all. A couple of the letters did look slightly faded, but when I took a damp cloth to them, I was able to wipe away what I guess were the oils from my fingers.

The fact that these keys have been laser etched and then filled should result in them not wearing down like the image you submitted. That one looks like the key was printed on, hence the fading.

If you aren't happy and it's still within the time period, check with our support team about the warranty:
http://www.daskeyboard.com/guarantee/

Sorry you are having a negative experience with the board. I will say if you can still feel the letter on the key, try cleaning it a bit harder as the filler is still there.


Thanks a lot for the reply! I had no idea DasKeyboards followed TL :D
I've had the keyboard for approximately three weeks so I'm pretty sure I'd be under the 30 day guarantee. It's not bad fading, it's just something I've noticed "starting to happen". I am on the computer for hours so maybe it's just wearing due to frequent usage. Pretty much all the terran hotkeys are beginning to fade out, of course if its fading.

I tried to do the damp cloth method, but it doesn't seem to rub off, as it was my first guess that it might be some oils from my fingers. I haven't tried the isopropyl alcohol or diluted soap method (not sure how to exactly go about doing that anyways since it says not to apply on to the cloth?) which was suggested on the support page of the main website.

Currently, my keyboard looks like this. Honestly, the fading can't be noticed since it was just my cell-phone camera, but you can notice it when looking at the shift key and comparing it with the caps lock. The camera quality kind of blurrs the white together, so you can't really notice it on the small keys.
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Also, I can't imagine typing on a normal keyboard anymore since this keyboard is my first mechanical, and I just can't imagine the idea of shipping it back :D

Though I will consider it.

Also, I hope I didn't make it seem as if I'm dissatisfied with the keyboard, I was just unsure as to how to go about dealing with the fading on the lettering for my keys. All-in-all its a great keyboard.

On July 02 2011 05:34 Quanbsn wrote:
mine is just get dirty, not faded away.
Btw dear daskeyboard, what liquid should i use to clean the keycaps ? And what should i do to prevent it from dust ?, my keyboard seems to love dust...


http://www.daskeyboard.com/support/

Try here!

EDIT: What I do is I just use that wrap that they packaged the keyboard in and put it over my keyboard whenever I'm not using it. This prevents dust from accumulating on the gloss for the most part. And then I just wipe my fingerprints down with the super cool soft cloth that they provide in the box either after I play a game or before I go to bed.

Also, thanks to everyone else who posted!
ddong
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-01 22:30:52
July 01 2011 22:30 GMT
#11
Be careful about cleaning your keycaps with alcohol. I know you're not supposed to clean Filco keycaps with alcohol as it will screw up the keycaps and I think eat into the plastic..
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
daskeyboard
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5 Posts
July 01 2011 23:05 GMT
#12
We recommend folks use a tiny bit of alcohol to clean their keys. I think the suggestion of not putting it on the cloth is so you don't try to do so with a drenched cloth and end up dripping liquid into other areas of the keyboard. Use as little as possible and it should work. Haven't heard about alcohol eating away at the plastic. If this is a concern, use the lowest percentage you can find.

We did post a blog post on this as someone shared their cleaning story with us after he spilled a drink on his keyboard and was able to clean it so that it worked again.

In regards to dust, there is no way to prevent dust without using a cover or something like that. If there were, I would use the method all over my house so I wouldn't have to dust. However, the micro cloth we send with the keyboard easily wipes off all dust and fingerprints.
DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
July 01 2011 23:12 GMT
#13
Upvote for customer service.
Also, the best method against dust is buying a vacuum and using it
My experience in cleaning any of my peripherals is that window cleaner works just fine. So far, none of my mice or keyboards have melted because of it.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2011 23:17 GMT
#14
Alcohol will only eat into the plastic if left on there, I would guess. A light amount, it should just evaporate too quickly to do any damage.
CatNzHat
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1599 Posts
July 02 2011 00:31 GMT
#15
I also own a Das keyboard, however I did my research before purchasing one, and I did find a few cases of the keys wearing off, mostly due to abuse, but some due to just heavy gaming use with sweaty hands, that is why I purchased the ultimate silent edition, blank keys have a much harder with the whole letters wearing off business.

The fastest solution is to just buy another keyset, and a key remover tool, you can get whatever font you want, and it'll only cost a couple bucks (around $15 for a really nice full 104 key set)
SWiPht
Profile Joined October 2010
United States83 Posts
July 02 2011 00:49 GMT
#16
I've been noticing the same exact thing with mine, and also found it weird that they specifically say that the keys are laser etched to prevent fading even thought this keyboard fades faster than all my previous ones.
Currently the top player on NA server with Rory Swann portrait.
Dewbiefanboy
Profile Joined June 2011
6 Posts
July 02 2011 01:06 GMT
#17
Send them a email and ask for an exchange? since it did not hold up to what it promised.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 109
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 443
Hyuk 336
Leta 167
Hyun 85
ZergMaN 14
Hm[arnc] 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm229
League of Legends
JimRising 762
Other Games
summit1g8975
WinterStarcraft509
Mew2King66
ArmadaUGS61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick835
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream165
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2310
League of Legends
• Rush1479
• Lourlo1127
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 46m
INu's Battles
5h 46m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 46m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 46m
Replay Cast
16h 46m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.