• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:52
CEST 09:52
KST 16:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8867 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1524

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Sacrieur
Profile Joined May 2012
United States32 Posts
June 07 2013 06:57 GMT
#30461
R1ch and skyR are right. The wattage is fine.

The quality however...

To summarize what I recommended on facebook:

Forget the shift to Haswell, just buy a 3770K instead. You'll end up saving yourself $150.

Go for a Seasonic, Corsair, or XFX PSU. Bronze certified at least and modular is nice but not necessary.
Sikly
Profile Joined June 2011
United States413 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 06:58:27
June 07 2013 06:57 GMT
#30462
On June 07 2013 15:34 ROOTNathanias wrote:
Suppy you should NOT use a 460W power supply for the new PC build, you're going to cause it to literally explode.


A 460 could do it, especially if it didn't degrade too much. Personally I would go with something more along the lines of http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Series-Watt-CX500/dp/B0092ML0MY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370587976&sr=8-1&keywords=CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 as it is higher quality and only 15 dollars more, but I'm always nervous about power supplies.

Even if you don't overclock I'd recommend an aftermarket cooler. I've seen i7's get toasty when they are being pushed on the stock cooler, and a http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Plus-RR-B10-212P-G1/dp/B002G1YPH0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370588072&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler master hyper 212 will take you far. That will provide you with mild overclocks while keeping your temperatures decent, and should be quieter than the stock cooler.
Sacrieur
Profile Joined May 2012
United States32 Posts
June 07 2013 06:58 GMT
#30463
I really don't see why he would need to overclock (hence the Ivy Bridge).
Sikly
Profile Joined June 2011
United States413 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 07:06:20
June 07 2013 07:01 GMT
#30464
On June 07 2013 15:58 Sacrieur wrote:
I really don't see why he would need to overclock (hence the Ivy Bridge).


He doesn't, but even without overclocking a better aftermarket cooler will let the processor do its max turbo boost without throttling, which the stock cooler probably can't unless Suppy lives in a fridge. Also like I mentioned, it is probably quieter and it is better for the CPU to not be up against the 90 degree limit that the stock cooler will probably produce.

Also Suppy, since you live in cali look for a microcenter instead of ordering online. Even if it is a bit of a drive, you can generally get really good deals on processor+mobo combos, usually in the order of 50+ dollars.
imCookies
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States82 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 07:05:29
June 07 2013 07:04 GMT
#30465
On June 07 2013 15:28 Superiorwolf wrote:
Hey okay so you guys told me to wait for the next line of Intel processors, and from what I can tell it looks like they are out! Please give me thoughts on my plan here:

Current PC
i5-2400
nVidia GTX 560ti
H67MA-E35 Motherboard
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
760 W PSU

Extra Parts
Radeon HD 4850 512 MB


And my plan is to turn it all into this:

New PC
i7-4770K ($350) Link NEW
nVidia GTX 560ti
MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Z87-G43 Motherboard ($120) Link NEW
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
Cooler Master 460 W Power Supply ($35) Link NEW
Aftermarket Cooler (?)

PC for my parents
i5-2400
H67MA-E35
Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM ($31) Link NEW
500 GB HDD Western Digital ($57) Link NEW
Cooler Master 460 W Power Supply ($35) Link NEW

Total Cost: $628

Questions:
Some people have said that the upgrade from i5-2400 to i5-4670k would not be that big of an improvement, I decided to go with i7-4770k after hearing it's better for streaming (I'd like to be able to stream on better settings). Currently I think the i5-2400 is my bottleneck, and late game in SC2 I get sub 30 fps, and probably even lower in battles. I would like to be able to play like on the MLG computers that were at a constant 200 fps throughout. How much gain will there be without overclocking, and with some moderate overclocking?

Will the power supply unit be enough power, and will it be quiet if it's at a high load? I am very much concerned with fan noise because right now I think my PSU is what is causing my computer to be so loud and I really really want a quiet computer! Also a PSU comes with all the cords you need to connect things right?

Any suggestions for better options (mobo, psu, etc.) that you think would be nicer or if there are any good deals going on right now? Should I get an aftermarket cooler with moderate overclocking?



So everything seems OK with the setup except for the PSU. This type of PSU is designed to do the job but it still is a little lower on the totem pole here are some good alternatives:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3 (One I currently use)
Milk n Cookies, the snack of pros.
Varrik
Profile Joined May 2012
United States18 Posts
June 07 2013 07:06 GMT
#30466
Micro Center 4770k $279.99

Not sure if they have a store near you but processors are INCREDIBLY cheap at MicroCenter. I'd try to get one through a friend and ship it out there or something - saves $$$ A lot of times they run deals on Proc/MoBo combos for $50 off if bought together.That could add up to another $100 off this rig your building.

Also, try to shoot for about ~600W PSU with this rig - it's always better to be safe and it leaves you a little room for expansion if you really want to later (or upgrade your GPU assuming you mess around with some new games for fun). If you want to know approximately where you'll be at with all of your hardware you can use http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and add it all up!

Unless you plan on OC you really don't need an aftermarket cooler OR if you are in a poorly cooled space. Ambient temp is pretty important. Also, as a side note, if you have a really small case sometimes it is necessary to get an aftermarket cooler in case regardless of your ambient temp your computer heats up a lot. Hope this helps! GL HF :D
The Gateway To eSports - More Than A Game
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 07 2013 07:06 GMT
#30467
Sorry but is Superiorwolf a famous person or why is there a sudden influx of people posting poor advice?

A CX500 is not a high quality unit. It's just an okay budget unit that won't explode, it is a terrible value at $50 as the Capstone 450 is significantly better in all aspects for $10 more.

CX600, also terrible value.

Both HX750 and AX850 are very good units but they're extremely unnecessary...
iTzSnypah
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1738 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 07:16:00
June 07 2013 07:10 GMT
#30468
All this misinformation posted by people I've never seen post in this thread before... Oh my god.

Edit: To not be a filler post.

Antec VP-450 for your parents computer.
Rosewill Capstone 450 for your computer.
Team Liquid needs more Terrans.
DaHui2
Profile Joined September 2012
United States25 Posts
June 07 2013 07:13 GMT
#30469
Superiorwolf is EG.Suppy.
Sacrieur
Profile Joined May 2012
United States32 Posts
June 07 2013 07:14 GMT
#30470
On June 07 2013 16:06 skyR wrote:
Sorry but is Superiorwolf a famous person or why is there a sudden influx of people posting poor advice?


Moderately.

I facepalmed after it went over 600W.
Varrik
Profile Joined May 2012
United States18 Posts
June 07 2013 07:22 GMT
#30471
On June 07 2013 16:14 Sacrieur wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2013 16:06 skyR wrote:
Sorry but is Superiorwolf a famous person or why is there a sudden influx of people posting poor advice?


Moderately.

I facepalmed after it went over 600W.


600W is perfectly fine and not even that much more money... I recommended it only so he has room for expansion later.

Sure, you can tighten up your PSU to fit your exact system but it's kind of stupid seeing how cheap it is to add 100W and not have to worry about expanding later instead of having to buy another PSU and whatever you're adding in along with it.

Computers are long term investments, leaving yourself wiggle room (for a very small amount of money) will save you money in the long run.
The Gateway To eSports - More Than A Game
Sacrieur
Profile Joined May 2012
United States32 Posts
June 07 2013 07:25 GMT
#30472
There is an argument to be made in PSU efficiency vs. intial cost... Usually it balances out the the higher wattage models are the better deals because of increased quality.

The only reason to go higher wattage is quality though in this case. Suppy goes to college and presumably lives with his parents the rest of the time.
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
June 07 2013 07:39 GMT
#30473
On June 07 2013 16:25 Sacrieur wrote:
There is an argument to be made in PSU efficiency vs. intial cost... Usually it balances out the the higher wattage models are the better deals because of increased quality.

The only reason to go higher wattage is quality though in this case. Suppy goes to college and presumably lives with his parents the rest of the time.


There are plenty of high quality low wattage models as well. There's probably more junk in the low wattage range, since it's a larger market, but all the good brands also offer low wattage models.
Such flammable little insects!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 07:44:34
June 07 2013 07:43 GMT
#30474
Yes, computers are investments but throwing away money is called stupidity, not an investment.

Recommending an unnecessary unit so that there's room for expansion is a very weak argument as the Rosewill Capstone 450 is enough for all single GPU configurations except for the most absurd and heavily overclocked configurations.

A ~600w unit is only necessary if the individual plans on upgrading to SLI or CrossfireX at some point in time. So if the individual even has the slightest thought of doing SLI or CrossfireX within the next few years then yes, he should get a ~600w unit.

And no, going to a higher wattage does not ensure quality. CX430, CX500, CX600 are all the same, only difference is how much power is provided. The same can be said for many lines of power supplies.
Superiorwolf
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States5509 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 08:07:51
June 07 2013 07:53 GMT
#30475
Okay trying to decide now if I am going to go with Sacrieur's advice and just get a i7-3770K to keep my existing mobo or to do what I had originally planned. Only problem is then I don't think I'll be building a comp for my parents with the leftover Radeon HD 4850 and i5-2400, so I wouldn't know what to do with them. Also the H67MA-E35 motherboard it isn't really good for overclocking from what I understand though right?

Here's the MLG computers specs btw http://www.ibuypower.com/info/Dad_Grad_Special_Default.aspx It's the white one called REVOLT. Yeah I guess I didn't really check late game at its fps, but it definitely felt much much smoother than my computer

Yeah I wish there was a way I could really figure out what was making the noise and pinpoint it - I just "feel" like its the PSU from where I can hear it but that's obviously a really inaccurate way to tell. This is my case - http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Black-Gaming-Computer-CHALLENGER/dp/B003YVJJ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370591490&sr=8-1&keywords=rosewill challenger so I'm not sure how noise isolating it is - one problem is I only could connect 2 of the 3 fans to the mobo, third would have been connected via molex and woulda been running at 100% afaik. In BIOS I was only able to put fans to a flat 50% rate in order to reduce noise (no dynamic fan control or whatever I think)

Just preferring to use Amazon because I have prime and I'd be able to get the parts a bit faster than if I used Newegg I think ^^
Check out my stream at www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=315053 and follow me on Twitter @EGSuppy! :)
Superiorwolf
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States5509 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-06-07 08:00:55
June 07 2013 08:00 GMT
#30476
Current PC
i5-2400
nVidia GTX 560ti
H67MA-E35 Motherboard
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
760 W PSU

Extra Parts
Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

New PC
i7-4770K ($350) Link NEW
nVidia GTX 560ti
MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Z87-G43 Motherboard ($120) Link NEW
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
Rosewill Capstone 450 W PSU ($60) Link NEW
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler ($25) Link NEW

PC for my parents
i5-2400
H67MA-E35
Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM 1600 Mhz ($31) Link NEW (Seems to be the cheapest, even cheaper than the 1333 Mhz on amazon)
500 GB HDD Western Digital ($57) Link NEW
Corsair CX430 PSU ($45) Link NEW

Total Cost: $688

How does it look now?
Check out my stream at www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=315053 and follow me on Twitter @EGSuppy! :)
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 07 2013 08:19 GMT
#30477
On June 07 2013 16:53 Superiorwolf wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
Okay trying to decide now if I am going to go with Sacrieur's advice and just get a i7-3770K to keep my existing mobo or to do what I had originally planned. Only problem is then I don't think I'll be building a comp for my parents with the leftover Radeon HD 4850 and i5-2400, so I wouldn't know what to do with them. Also the H67MA-E35 motherboard it isn't really good for overclocking from what I understand though right?

Here's the MLG computers specs btw http://www.ibuypower.com/info/Dad_Grad_Special_Default.aspx It's the white one called REVOLT. Yeah I guess I didn't really check late game at its fps, but it definitely felt much much smoother than my computer

Yeah I wish there was a way I could really figure out what was making the noise and pinpoint it - I just "feel" like its the PSU from where I can hear it but that's obviously a really inaccurate way to tell. This is my case - http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Black-Gaming-Computer-CHALLENGER/dp/B003YVJJ5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370591490&sr=8-1&keywords=rosewill challenger so I'm not sure how noise isolating it is - one problem is I only could connect 2 of the 3 fans to the mobo, third would have been connected via molex and woulda been running at 100% afaik. In BIOS I was only able to put fans to a flat 50% rate in order to reduce noise (no dynamic fan control or whatever I think)

Just preferring to use Amazon because I have prime and I'd be able to get the parts a bit faster than if I used Newegg I think ^^


On June 07 2013 17:00 Superiorwolf wrote:+ Show Spoiler +
Current PC
i5-2400
nVidia GTX 560ti
H67MA-E35 Motherboard
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
760 W PSU

Extra Parts
Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

New PC
i7-4770K ($350) Link NEW
nVidia GTX 560ti
MSI ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Z87-G43 Motherboard ($120) Link NEW
8 GB RAM
90 GB SSD
500 GB HDD
Rosewill Capstone 450 W PSU ($60) Link NEW
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus - CPU Cooler ($25) Link NEW

PC for my parents
i5-2400
H67MA-E35
Radeon HD 4850
4 GB RAM 1600 Mhz ($31) Link NEW (Seems to be the cheapest, even cheaper than the 1333 Mhz on amazon)
500 GB HDD Western Digital ($57) Link NEW
Corsair CX430 PSU ($45) Link NEW

Total Cost: $688

How does it look now?


H series boards cannot overclock.

Well if you do want a 3770k instead (because its like $30-$40 less expensive than a 4770k) then you can purchase a Z77 board for it and give the H67 to your parents.

Well the noise could be coming from your power supply since you never listed what it is but the Capstone 450 won't be audible over the other parts of your PC.

The case you have is definitely not sound dampening and you never listed a case for your parents computer so maybe give this case to them if they don't mind it looking ugly and maybe a bit noisy? For your build, you should be looking into getting a sound dampening case like the Fractal Design Define R4 which is about $90.

You should also download MSI Afterburner or similar software to control your GPU fan speeds.
Superiorwolf
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
United States5509 Posts
June 07 2013 08:39 GMT
#30478
Ok I just opened it up to see what my PSU is, held my ear near it and I feel like it really is the PSU. Couldn't see the model/make though, as it's facing towards the CPU case wall that is closed off even if I open both sides of the case
Check out my stream at www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=315053 and follow me on Twitter @EGSuppy! :)
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 07 2013 08:56 GMT
#30479
Well there aren't many 760w units so we can take an educated guess as to what it is. If it has a small fan on the back, it might be a PC Power & Cooling Silencer from a few years ago which wasn't that quiet from what I remember.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
June 07 2013 09:02 GMT
#30480
Core i7 3770 for $180: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7622546&sku=SYX-807321OH

ME, FS, BB sold out.

Hottest deal of the year so far lol.
Prev 1 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1379
BeSt 305
Soulkey 204
Soma 188
sorry 122
Mind 71
Bale 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
ZergMaN 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
League of Legends
JimRising 651
Counter-Strike
edward214
Other Games
summit1g9039
Coldzera 698
WinterStarcraft698
C9.Mang0248
Sick212
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick712
BasetradeTV207
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2198
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 9m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 9m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 9m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 9m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.