• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:26
CEST 05:26
KST 12:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8295 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1439

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-30 03:14:38
March 30 2013 02:40 GMT
#28761
On March 30 2013 07:54 Craton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2013 15:10 Cyro wrote:
7770, 650ti boost edition if it's released

Supposedly the 7790 should be out soon also and I believe it's better than both and ~$150.


Dont think it's strictly better than the 650ti boost, Anandtech puts the 650 ti boost 2gb edition (1gb is $149) as a competitor to the 7850 and i seem to remember the 650 boost being within a few % of the 7790 or 7850, i think you mean the regular 650ti (not boost edition)

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6838/53843.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6838/53841.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6838/53846.png
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
March 30 2013 03:12 GMT
#28762
I think you mean 650 Ti boost and 650 Ti, not 550. (probably obvious to anyone reading... just to make sure)
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 30 2013 03:14 GMT
#28763
Oops, damnit, i did that yesterday too..
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
March 30 2013 04:34 GMT
#28764
On March 30 2013 10:48 Craton wrote:
7990 is AMD's top card ($900), 7970 Ghz Edition is behind that ($450+), then the 7970 ($400+).


Top GPU then. I don't really take double-GPU cards into account. And the prices I was quoting were in New Zealand dollars at one retailer, not USD.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
March 30 2013 05:28 GMT
#28765
I hadn't looked at your prices; I was just giving the costs for illustrative purposes.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Darksleem
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand6 Posts
March 30 2013 05:42 GMT
#28766
I Ended up Grabbing the Gigabyte 7970 Ghz Edition for my build, Woulda gone with Sapphire due to sponsoring EG and my Love of EG however they're out of stock and I'm impatient, Overall very pleased with my build, They're ganna put it together and ship it to me for free which is a huge bonus. Thanks for the input you guys have given me.
Darksleem
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand6 Posts
March 30 2013 05:47 GMT
#28767
Ohh Another question, with the Phantom 410 mid tower Will I have to buy additional Case fans? I know with my previous Build I used the Raidmax Sirius and had an issues with overheating. I'm not overly sure on the ventilation of the Phantom it only comes with 3 Included fans.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 30 2013 05:58 GMT
#28768
It has a front, rear and top fan included - you can fit more if you want (look at the case spec) but benefits are very small.

You are overclocking, right? Did you get the 212+ or the hr-02 macho?
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Darksleem
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand6 Posts
March 30 2013 06:00 GMT
#28769
I Grabbed the Hyper 212 Evo And I'm still not overly sure if I need to overclock or not.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 30 2013 06:06 GMT
#28770
Well its easy 4.2-4.6ghz, worth it

3 more case fans might be able to pull out 3-5c better temps which is effectively like less than 100mhz, in contrast the hr-02 is probably 15c or so better than the 212 evo (i forgot number grr) while also being quieter, so case fans do not really decide much
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
findingthelimit
Profile Joined May 2012
Hong Kong219 Posts
March 30 2013 11:39 GMT
#28771
hey guys, im planning to upgrade my build. id like to trade in my 3570 for a 3570k, get a cooler, sell my h77 mobo and get a z77 to try oc'ing it. i have a 7870 so gpu isnt an issue, and ideally i just want to oc it a little bit (4.2-4.5 ghZ) and forget about it. would my h212+ suffice? which mobo should i get? im sure i want gigabyte's board, and an atx one as i have a switch 810, but aside from that im stuck. their boards range from $70 w coupon to $300+. im might run sli, but aside from that i just need like 5 usb ports... do i just pick the cheapest one? do all of them oc enough by my criterion?
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 30 2013 11:49 GMT
#28772
Haswell releases in 2 months, the 3570k and z77 will be obselete then, probably a bad idea to buy into them (new cpu's and ~z87 coming)

If you insist on it though, 212+ would be ok, not sure on motherboards, some of the cheapest models are quite bad
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
March 30 2013 13:35 GMT
#28773
On March 30 2013 14:47 Darksleem wrote:
Ohh Another question, with the Phantom 410 mid tower Will I have to buy additional Case fans? I know with my previous Build I used the Raidmax Sirius and had an issues with overheating. I'm not overly sure on the ventilation of the Phantom it only comes with 3 Included fans.

3 fans is basically the perfect number, if it has front/rear/top, remove the rear and put it on the side tho, as per the article linked a few pages ago. A side fan is always strictly better, whatever the fan configuration you have. And as the top exhaust fan is also a little better than its rear counterpart, I think the best 3 fans config is front top side, unless I misread the article.
Sein
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1811 Posts
March 30 2013 16:17 GMT
#28774
On March 30 2013 14:42 Darksleem wrote:
I Ended up Grabbing the Gigabyte 7970 Ghz Edition for my build, Woulda gone with Sapphire due to sponsoring EG and my Love of EG however they're out of stock and I'm impatient, Overall very pleased with my build, They're ganna put it together and ship it to me for free which is a huge bonus. Thanks for the input you guys have given me.


They're no longer sponsoring EG anyway.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
March 30 2013 16:35 GMT
#28775
On March 30 2013 20:49 Cyro wrote:
Haswell releases in 2 months, the 3570k and z77 will be obselete then, probably a bad idea to buy into them (new cpu's and ~z87 coming)

If you insist on it though, 212+ would be ok, not sure on motherboards, some of the cheapest models are quite bad

Agreed, it's really dumb to upgrade one motherboard (that's working) -> same socket. Okay, maybe not if you have the money and time, but that just indicates really bad planning on some part.

All you'd get from this upgrade would be higher clocks. Waiting until Haswell is a better idea.


On March 30 2013 22:35 MrCon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2013 14:47 Darksleem wrote:
Ohh Another question, with the Phantom 410 mid tower Will I have to buy additional Case fans? I know with my previous Build I used the Raidmax Sirius and had an issues with overheating. I'm not overly sure on the ventilation of the Phantom it only comes with 3 Included fans.

3 fans is basically the perfect number, if it has front/rear/top, remove the rear and put it on the side tho, as per the article linked a few pages ago. A side fan is always strictly better, whatever the fan configuration you have. And as the top exhaust fan is also a little better than its rear counterpart, I think the best 3 fans config is front top side, unless I misread the article.

Hm, the differences aren't that large between reasonably-good configs. I'd skip the side because that makes the side panel more annoying to open, it's often noisier from rattling and positioning, and it doesn't have a dust filter. You can get a degree or three improvement maybe in the short term, but then once you've blown a sufficient amount of dust into the heatsinks, you'll start getting worse temps until you clean them. Highly dependent on many factors and ranges are slightly fictitious, but better airflow -> 0-5C differences; dust or heatsinks falling off -> 0-30+C differences. It's usually not the chassis cooling that's of real concern, for single graphics card setups.

The default configuration is usually okay unless you're buying a case clearly not designed for higher-end hardware or really want to push the limits on overclocking or whatever else, or want to tinker around for the sake of tinkering.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-30 16:45:37
March 30 2013 16:39 GMT
#28776
You have to put a dust filter on the side panel yeah, a magnetic one for instance. Silverstone makes magnetic 120 and 140mm dust filters for 4€, ref FF122B.
Silverstone made a good article about that http://www.silverstonetek.com/techtalk_cont.php?area=en&tid=wh_positive
screamingpalm
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1527 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-30 21:59:31
March 30 2013 21:50 GMT
#28777
Quick question(s); would it be worthwhile to upgrade my amd X3 450? Maybe to a phenom x4 or x6? I figure since I'm installing a new cooler, might as well upgrade now if it's worth it.
Also, what's the verdict on the piledriver that I had read was supposed to be out now (FX series?)?
MMT University is coming! http://www.mmtuniversity.org/
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
March 30 2013 23:05 GMT
#28778
On March 31 2013 06:50 screamingpalm wrote:
Quick question(s); would it be worthwhile to upgrade my amd X3 450? Maybe to a phenom x4 or x6? I figure since I'm installing a new cooler, might as well upgrade now if it's worth it.
Also, what's the verdict on the piledriver that I had read was supposed to be out now (FX series?)?


Not worth doing for sc2, nothing (phenom II, bulldozer, piledriver) is a major step in in single threaded performance, you are just adding more cores that help for some but not all things (and sc2 is not one of them)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
feanor1
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1899 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-31 17:26:22
March 31 2013 00:34 GMT
#28779
What is your budget?

$750-$800
What is your resolution?


Buying a monitor with it, looking at 1920x1080

What are you using it for?


Mostly gaming

What is your upgrade cycle?

Definitely on the longer end probably 4 years.

When do you plan on building it?


Looking at ordering within the next week

Do you plan on overclocking?


I would like the have the ability to overclock, not necessarily going to right away.

Do you need an Operating System?


Will need to get a copy of Windows, somehow. Not sure if I can use a student discount or call in and claim my harddrive went kaboom.


Edit: A friend has an copy that he never activated. He downloaded it free at one point and never actually installed it. Says the product Key is good until 2014! Windows 7.

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?


No

Where are you buying your parts from?


Newegg/TigerDirect/Amazon. I have had great experience with Newegg so I like them.


I am kinda interested in throwing a small SSD in there to load games off of like 64 gigs if i can swing it!
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-31 01:02:53
March 31 2013 01:01 GMT
#28780
If you get one SSD you want it to be your boot drive, so Windows is going to end up taking ~25GB. Additionally, SSDs want to have a decent amount of free space to maximize their TRIM effectiveness. That basically leaves you with not a whole lot of room for games. A 64GB is about $64, whereas you can get a 128GB for around $100. If you do opt for an SSD, I'd say go at least for a 120/128.

I reckon the 3570K with a medium OC (with probably the Hyper 212 heatsink) is a good choice for you, though I'm not sure how the budget will work out if you're also getting a monitor, windows, and probably a new PSU (do you need a new one?)

You'll need to lock down how much money you need to devote to windows. Information on the kinds of games you play would also be helpful to determine what GPU you need.

Also keep in mind the Intel's next line of chips comes out in about 2 months, so you may want to wait (I think prevailing thoughts are it will be ~10% more performance for your money).
twitch.tv/cratonz
Prev 1 1437 1438 1439 1440 1441 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 236
NeuroSwarm 182
FoxeR 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3487
Leta 1844
Bale 61
Shine 17
Icarus 5
Other Games
summit1g8062
JimRising 579
WinterStarcraft436
ViBE147
Mew2King19
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick657
BasetradeTV190
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 19
• davetesta15
• Letter1411
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo740
Other Games
• Scarra1056
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 34m
Patches Events
11h 34m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 34m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 34m
OSC
19h 34m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.