• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:19
CEST 14:19
KST 21:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7096 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 17

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 66 Next
Hasire
Profile Joined February 2010
United States125 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-02 00:02:47
March 02 2010 00:02 GMT
#321
I love options, especially when I haven't built a comp in 2 years and all of the new naming these people love to use is near-meaningless to me. Definitely looking at the 5770 now, I had just heard tons of good about the 250.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-02 04:21:37
March 02 2010 04:06 GMT
#322
Oh, and I believe that the H55 mobo does not support PCIe 2.0 x8/x8 CrossFire/SLi, only x4/x4 D:

Nevermind, it's the PCIe controller on the i3/i5 Clarkdales that don't support it :p
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
snowbird
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Germany2044 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-02 07:45:46
March 02 2010 07:45 GMT
#323
Quick update on my machine:

# Operating system:Windows 2.6.1.7600 (Win7Ultimate 32bit)
# CPU type: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz
# CPU Speed (GHz):3.03
# System memory (GB):1.999
# Graphics card model:NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS -> Upgraded to Radeon5770
# Desktop resolution:1280x1024
# Hard disk size (GB):298.089

The game now runs ok on high and good on medium. My CPUs the bottleneck I suppose, but it runs good enough now!
@riotsnowbird
zhfac
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada8 Posts
March 02 2010 15:58 GMT
#324
@ snowbird can't you upg your CPU at all?
Life! Don't talk to me about life.
PGHammer
Profile Joined February 2010
United States132 Posts
March 02 2010 17:28 GMT
#325
On March 01 2010 08:24 FragKrag wrote:
I'd go for the Athlon 64X2.

Don't have an answer for you PGHammer :p


I pointed out that I'm not looking to push north detail-wise (I'm quite happy at 1360x800/32-bit/all-medium/Physics at low/movies at 3D/High) as even at that (seemingly low) setting, SC2 is the best looking game on my computer (and that is even though I actually have other games that are set higher than that in terms of both resolution and detail).

The two upgrades I *am* looking at (Q9350/9450 and HD5750) I have in mind for reasons other than SC2; while SC2 can make use of both upgrades, I have no desire, or interest, in moving my settings from where I have them, thanks very much.
Bad news, fellas
snowbird
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Germany2044 Posts
March 02 2010 19:53 GMT
#326
On March 03 2010 00:58 changturkey wrote:
@ snowbird can't you upg your CPU at all?


I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU but the only game I play is Starcraft 2 anyway and I'm not planning on playing anything else, so it would be a waste of money really since I'd have to upgrade motherboard, RAM and possibly the PSU also.

Sometime in the future I will though.

@riotsnowbird
s2pid_loser
Profile Joined March 2010
United States699 Posts
March 02 2010 19:59 GMT
#327
can someone tell me if this is adequate for my video
Graphics card model:Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Graphics card driver:igdumd32.dll


I feel like it should work but also cant figure out why I havent been opted in to beta XD
... unless there havent been another wave of betas recently

pls pm me
Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 03 2010 01:50 GMT
#328
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-890gx-radeon,2571.html

For those interested in building a higher end AMD system, the 890GX chipset reviews are out at Tom's

Looks pretty lackluster aside from the new southbridge imo, but it does have SATA 6GB/s support. That should be reason enough to choose the 890GX! (The integrated graphics are apparently the best integrated in the world ATM? Not sure.) I am disappointed that it doesn't support USB 3.0 natively though ;/
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
StarMasterX
Profile Joined February 2010
United States113 Posts
March 03 2010 02:01 GMT
#329
Hey Frag thanks for your help. Last time I said I had this specs:

Pentium D 2.8ghz
2 Gig ram
Radeon X1950
1280 x 1024 resolution

You said it would probably run on medium. In your opinion what would you do if you were me if I wanted to upgrade (assuming same resolution)?
R1CH
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Netherlands10342 Posts
March 03 2010 02:13 GMT
#330
On March 03 2010 04:59 s2pid_loser wrote:
can someone tell me if this is adequate for my video
Graphics card model:Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
Graphics card driver:igdumd32.dll

No, this will not be able to run SC2. Unless you have a gaming laptop, most laptops come with only very basic graphics support.
AdministratorTwitter: @R1CH_TL
TL+ Member
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
March 03 2010 02:24 GMT
#331
Well the weakest part of that build is the X1950. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and your power supply, a better graphics card would most likely give you the most performance increase.

A $70-80 ATi HD 4670 will run on most PSUs and should be a decent upgrade (though not by much).

If you have a better PSU and higher budget, a $100-120 ATi HD 4850 is still a strong buy. I think a 9800GT offers about 2/3 - 3/4 the performance of the 4850 for around the same price, but I'm pretty sure they have better power consumption and run at lower temps. ATi HD 4770 is around the same price and around the same performance of HD 4850 and apparently OCs very well + lower power consumption.
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
StarMasterX
Profile Joined February 2010
United States113 Posts
March 03 2010 03:30 GMT
#332
On March 03 2010 11:24 FragKrag wrote:
Well the weakest part of that build is the X1950. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and your power supply, a better graphics card would most likely give you the most performance increase.

A $70-80 ATi HD 4670 will run on most PSUs and should be a decent upgrade (though not by much).

If you have a better PSU and higher budget, a $100-120 ATi HD 4850 is still a strong buy. I think a 9800GT offers about 2/3 - 3/4 the performance of the 4850 for around the same price, but I'm pretty sure they have better power consumption and run at lower temps. ATi HD 4770 is around the same price and around the same performance of HD 4850 and apparently OCs very well + lower power consumption.


Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at all of those. What are your thoughts on the Radeon HD 4650 for the 1280 x 1024 resolution? You can get those for like 60 bucks now. I'm not sure how it would run SC2 though. Basically what IYO would be a baseline card to run SC2 smoothly on high graphics (sorry if this has already been answered).
DanceDance
Profile Joined November 2008
226 Posts
March 03 2010 03:30 GMT
#333
On March 02 2010 09:02 Hasire wrote:
I love options, especially when I haven't built a comp in 2 years and all of the new naming these people love to use is near-meaningless to me. Definitely looking at the 5770 now, I had just heard tons of good about the 250.


You won’t be disappointed with the 5770. I own one, it's very powerful, very quiet, temperatures are very low and power consumption is low. If you want peace of mind, get 5770. It outperforms the 4890 in performance for Starcraft 2.
Mystlord *
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10264 Posts
March 03 2010 03:41 GMT
#334
On March 03 2010 12:30 StarMasterX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2010 11:24 FragKrag wrote:
Well the weakest part of that build is the X1950. Depending on how much you are willing to spend and your power supply, a better graphics card would most likely give you the most performance increase.

A $70-80 ATi HD 4670 will run on most PSUs and should be a decent upgrade (though not by much).

If you have a better PSU and higher budget, a $100-120 ATi HD 4850 is still a strong buy. I think a 9800GT offers about 2/3 - 3/4 the performance of the 4850 for around the same price, but I'm pretty sure they have better power consumption and run at lower temps. ATi HD 4770 is around the same price and around the same performance of HD 4850 and apparently OCs very well + lower power consumption.


Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at all of those. What are your thoughts on the Radeon HD 4650 for the 1280 x 1024 resolution? You can get those for like 60 bucks now. I'm not sure how it would run SC2 though. Basically what IYO would be a baseline card to run SC2 smoothly on high graphics (sorry if this has already been answered).

It's a good card. As for SC2... I think you can get maybe high settings at that resolution. I don't know about Ultra though. If this is just for SC2 and you won't play any other games, then you can stick with the 4650, but if you play other graphically demanding stuff, I'd suggest shelling out some more cash now and getting a better card.
It is impossible to be a citizen if you don't make an effort to understand the most basic activities of your government. It is very difficult to thrive in an increasingly competitive world if you're a nation of doods.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 05:41:03
March 03 2010 04:15 GMT
#335
DanceDance: That currently isn't the safest statement. While it does outperform the 4890 in the SC2 Beta benchmarks, I believe that when SC2 is finally released, the 4890 will perform to its expected level. However, given the current scarcities of the 4890, the only real choices in the area are the 5770 and the 5830, both quite disappointing in their own right.

The 4650 is a great card at its price point, and you probably won't be disappointed with it either. However, given the 4670's results at your resolution on this computer + Show Spoiler [hi] +
4 PC
Intel Pentium D 940 @ 3.21ghz (2 core)
GPU: ATi Radeon 4670 DDR3 512MB
RAM: 2GB DDR2
Setting: Medium/High


I can't recommend a 4650 for high settings.

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3755&p=4

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
Evelgest
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1 Post
March 03 2010 06:37 GMT
#336
I'm curious about those who have gotten it to run with an Intel GMA 4500MHD. What are your settings, specs, and possibly, drivers installed? OS? I keep hearing it runs, but my friend gets blobs and semi-spheres for minerals, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can run it on medium on a NVS160M, but it's smoother on low. I also have it, obviously, on all ultra with my 4850.
FragKrag
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
United States11567 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-03-03 08:37:28
March 03 2010 08:35 GMT
#337
I'm surprised that they can run the game as well. Though it may just be that they have much lower standards. I believe that certain laptop mobos allocate extra RAM just for the IGP so that may help the performance of the Intel 4500M HD

Since we're on the topic of graphics, here's one of the videos showcasing the power of the GTX 480 at CeBIT
http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=22702

so beauty ;_; Go to the bridge part for 'wow'

Set for March 26 release date. Lame.

Oh, and the i7 980X was running on an ASRock mobo apparently. 6 core processor~
*TL CJ Entusman #40* "like scissors does anything to paper except MAKE IT MORE NUMEROUS" -paper
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
March 03 2010 13:19 GMT
#338
On March 03 2010 13:15 FragKrag wrote:




http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3755&p=4

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA


lol
Romance_us
Profile Joined March 2006
Seychelles1806 Posts
March 03 2010 15:45 GMT
#339
How much performance loss can you expect to see running a PCI-E x16 card in a PCI-E 2.0 x4, if the card isn't high-end?
Notes and feelings, numbers and reason. The ultimate equilibrium.
wintergt
Profile Joined February 2010
Belgium1335 Posts
March 03 2010 15:49 GMT
#340
I just ordered me a desktop comp, tired of my laptop who can't play any recent games and runs sc2 on all lowest at 13fps.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4
RAM: Kingston 4GB 800MHz DDR2
Harddisk: Samsung 2000GB 7200rpm S-ATA
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB

Should run the game flawlessly right?
here i am
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs ByuNLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings203
SHIN 151
CranKy Ducklings SOOP53
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 391
ByuN 311
SHIN 151
Railgan 46
MindelVK 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 71593
Calm 11519
Rain 2490
Bisu 1455
FanTaSy 867
soO 542
Stork 532
Shuttle 434
Soma 264
Rush 246
[ Show more ]
Snow 205
firebathero 188
Last 144
Light 103
Mind 83
Pusan 73
Sea.KH 65
ToSsGirL 43
hero 40
Bale 40
Sharp 37
Trap 36
Killer 32
Hm[arnc] 31
Mong 30
Free 28
sorry 24
Aegong 20
Shine 20
yabsab 18
zelot 17
Noble 15
HiyA 14
Sacsri 13
IntoTheRainbow 11
Sexy 11
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc8475
Dendi524
League of Legends
Reynor133
Counter-Strike
fl0m1316
x6flipin714
byalli649
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King69
Other Games
gofns29385
singsing2187
B2W.Neo573
Pyrionflax244
ToD129
Trikslyr25
Chillindude9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV251
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 79
• Gemini_19 13
• Dystopia_ 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• Response 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV538
League of Legends
• Jankos3096
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1148
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 41m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 41m
OSC
10h 41m
Replay Cast
10h 41m
OSC
23h 41m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.