• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:00
CEST 22:00
KST 05:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7019 users

[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Mutaller
Profile Blog Joined July 2013
United States1051 Posts
July 15 2023 19:04 GMT
#21
They can make a side project which plays like Halo Wars with the sc ip. Simplified controls and cross platform. SC3 would need to be keyboard and mouse. I think they should make a smaller property that pulls more people in and restore the starcraft name first, before dropping a mainline game
"To practice isn't for you to get better now in the present. Practice will never betray you and will always come back for you in the future." -Jaedong
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
July 15 2023 19:24 GMT
#22
Please no.
BluemoonSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
SoCal8933 Posts
July 15 2023 20:04 GMT
#23
On July 15 2023 20:56 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2023 07:28 Blargh wrote:
Doubtful.

I'm fairly certain StarCraft has been their least profitable game series in the last 10 years. Possibly even worse than Heroes of the storm which I frequently forget existed.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to spin something out of the StarCraft world.

Starcraft 2 didn’t make WoW/League/Fortnite kinda money but it’s still pretty high up there in terms of all-time PC sales

It just seems the publisher wants these perpetually monetisible games and it doesn’t naturally fit into that. But it still was wildly successful.

If an SC3 launched with co-op, regular skins and announcer packs, the odd war chest etc, I think there’d be tons of potential for squeezing some extra cash out.

Unfortunately it felt like it got the structure in place too late for many of the non-hardcore players who’d already moved on to other things.

it absolutely COULD fit into that, but they opted for a box model with the shop coming in far too late to save the development in the game.

they'll figure it out with diablo and hopefully come in with something compelling if Starcraft 3 is real.
LiquidDota Staff@BluemoonGG_
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-07-15 20:50:24
July 15 2023 20:49 GMT
#24
It's completely realistic that some kind of new StarCraft IP game is in the works, but I seriously doubt that it's a traditional RTS. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Blizzard ever made a PC-only game again (besides WoW expansions & remasters).
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
July 15 2023 22:34 GMT
#25
On July 15 2023 22:17 dbRic1203 wrote:
In no World this is going to be a RTS Game.
They ->might<- work on something that is using the lore/setting/IP of SC, but I can t see them making a RTS game.
They simply Don t even have the know-how in the Company anymore.


This is my take on it as well. All the competent and seasoned veterans of the RTS genre have long since departed Acti-Blizz.
If anything, I'd expect a shooter a la Starcraft: Ghost: RE.

If Acti-Blizz would already be under Microsoft, I could see a snowball's chance in hell for a Starcraft 3 spearheaded by the people who made Age of Empires 2: Definitive Edition, but since it's not the case yet, as far as I'm concerned Blizzard in-house RTSes are dead and buried.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
BluemoonSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
SoCal8933 Posts
July 15 2023 23:13 GMT
#26
On July 16 2023 05:49 Waxangel wrote:
It's completely realistic that some kind of new StarCraft IP game is in the works, but I seriously doubt that it's a traditional RTS. Honestly, I'd be surprised if Blizzard ever made a PC-only game again (besides WoW expansions & remasters).

this is more true today than it was yesterday that's for sure haha
LiquidDota Staff@BluemoonGG_
__Coin_Ciden_Ce__
Profile Joined September 2022
11 Posts
July 16 2023 07:40 GMT
#27
Rule No.1
Do not trust Bl**zard.
Ludwigvan
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-07-16 11:31:59
July 16 2023 11:26 GMT
#28
does that mean that I have to watch BlizzCon?

EDIT:
I looked at whom Blizzard is hiring. And they are hiring a lot of people for an "unannounced survival game". I hope that that is not it...
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
July 16 2023 14:05 GMT
#29
On July 16 2023 20:26 Ludwigvan wrote:
does that mean that I have to watch BlizzCon?

EDIT:
I looked at whom Blizzard is hiring. And they are hiring a lot of people for an "unannounced survival game". I hope that that is not it...


Supposedly that one is a completely new IP. There were leaks from it already. Unless they decided to slap a SC skin on it now...
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17890 Posts
July 16 2023 14:15 GMT
#30
On July 15 2023 20:56 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2023 07:28 Blargh wrote:
Doubtful.

I'm fairly certain StarCraft has been their least profitable game series in the last 10 years. Possibly even worse than Heroes of the storm which I frequently forget existed.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to spin something out of the StarCraft world.

Starcraft 2 didn’t make WoW/League/Fortnite kinda money but it’s still pretty high up there in terms of all-time PC sales

It just seems the publisher wants these perpetually monetisible games and it doesn’t naturally fit into that. But it still was wildly successful.

If an SC3 launched with co-op, regular skins and announcer packs, the odd war chest etc, I think there’d be tons of potential for squeezing some extra cash out.

Unfortunately it felt like it got the structure in place too late for many of the non-hardcore players who’d already moved on to other things.

SC2 continues to be awesome. The game has a metric tonne of content. A person with full time IRL responsibilities can play the game forever.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Beelzebub1
Profile Joined May 2015
1005 Posts
July 16 2023 14:32 GMT
#31
On July 16 2023 23:15 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2023 20:56 WombaT wrote:
On July 15 2023 07:28 Blargh wrote:
Doubtful.

I'm fairly certain StarCraft has been their least profitable game series in the last 10 years. Possibly even worse than Heroes of the storm which I frequently forget existed.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to spin something out of the StarCraft world.

Starcraft 2 didn’t make WoW/League/Fortnite kinda money but it’s still pretty high up there in terms of all-time PC sales

It just seems the publisher wants these perpetually monetisible games and it doesn’t naturally fit into that. But it still was wildly successful.

If an SC3 launched with co-op, regular skins and announcer packs, the odd war chest etc, I think there’d be tons of potential for squeezing some extra cash out.

Unfortunately it felt like it got the structure in place too late for many of the non-hardcore players who’d already moved on to other things.

SC2 continues to be awesome. The game has a metric tonne of content. A person with full time IRL responsibilities can play the game forever.


On top of just being head and shoulders X10 above any other RTS on the market, I'm in mid diamond and never have to wait for more then 30 seconds for a match and anytime I hop on the arcade it's either 30 seconds or a few minutes and I'm in game. This game has a surprisingly stable player base over this decade and some change.

Tbh I know everyone (myself included) is stoked for StormGate but looking at the alpha or pre alpha or whatever test video they put out I'm kinda.....yeesh....looks like they are trying to stray away from a Starcraft type RTS and make some type of futuristic version of Warcraft 3 and AOE 4. Obviously it took years and years for SC2 to take it's current peak form but I'm very much so hoping they design SG with a SC2/SCBW approach and not the other RTS games which to me quite honestly just kind of suck as far as an E-Sport goes.

WC3 and AOE are great games, but do they hold a candle to SC as far as a competitive RTS? Hell no.
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17890 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-07-16 15:07:30
July 16 2023 15:06 GMT
#32
Interesting..
My mmr ranges from D-1 to P-2 depending on how out of practice I am; I find games fast.
My sister in law is in Gold and she finds games quickly as well.
I play the game when I have time. So in any 6 months time period I will go several weeks without playing.
My great experience with SC2 is part of what convinced me to give D4 a shot. So ATVI is seeing some kind of return for it's continued support of SC2.

A lot of old games disappear. 87% of all games released before 2010 are unplayable without piracy. Pretty brutal. "We won't sell you this game but we will litigate if you try to play our game." This is the absurd state of the video game industry. It is a tragic-comedy.

Examined from this context Blizzard and ATVI have done a great job supporting a 13 year old game.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
July 16 2023 22:54 GMT
#33
On July 15 2023 06:10 mutantmagnet wrote:
He didn't confirm SC3 only that something SC related is coming.

I would bet on it being a third person shooter instead of an RTS.

Starcraft: Fire Emblem or just a Hearthstone Expansion would be sick
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
IIEclipseII
Profile Joined February 2016
Germany157 Posts
July 17 2023 00:52 GMT
#34
Starcraft 2 remastered xD
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
July 17 2023 03:09 GMT
#35
I would not take this seriously at all based on the context.
Gescom
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada3516 Posts
July 17 2023 05:47 GMT
#36
Dude is already backtracking his initial statements. Silly..!
Jaedong Hyuk || Bisu Jangbi || Fantasy Flash
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7420 Posts
July 17 2023 07:54 GMT
#37
I can absolutely see them milking the Starcraft IP for all its worth. It'll definitely be a cross plattform casual money grab game though. Starcraft: Clash of Clans races
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27446 Posts
July 17 2023 10:14 GMT
#38
On July 16 2023 23:15 JimmyJRaynor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2023 20:56 WombaT wrote:
On July 15 2023 07:28 Blargh wrote:
Doubtful.

I'm fairly certain StarCraft has been their least profitable game series in the last 10 years. Possibly even worse than Heroes of the storm which I frequently forget existed.

But I wouldn't be that surprised if they tried to spin something out of the StarCraft world.

Starcraft 2 didn’t make WoW/League/Fortnite kinda money but it’s still pretty high up there in terms of all-time PC sales

It just seems the publisher wants these perpetually monetisible games and it doesn’t naturally fit into that. But it still was wildly successful.

If an SC3 launched with co-op, regular skins and announcer packs, the odd war chest etc, I think there’d be tons of potential for squeezing some extra cash out.

Unfortunately it felt like it got the structure in place too late for many of the non-hardcore players who’d already moved on to other things.

SC2 continues to be awesome. The game has a metric tonne of content. A person with full time IRL responsibilities can play the game forever.

It’s still an awesome game but it took a long time for them to get it right with additional content for more casual players.

They did eventually get it right, but it launched as a pretty antisocial experience, things like Co-op that worked great weren’t implemented for some time etc. Warcraft 3 was a more social experience and custom games felt a bigger part of the overall experience

Things a hypothetical SC3 could nail easily out the gate.

And they’ll probably have to, it really depends what model they go down, F2P or a retail purchase.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
SHODAN
Profile Joined November 2011
United Kingdom1162 Posts
July 17 2023 12:34 GMT
#39
I don't sense a strong desire for SC3 among the fanbase. mixed reactions everywhere. personally I don't care for it because SC2 doesn't need a sequel right now. SC2 looks and feels like it was released yesterday rather than 13 years ago. I prefer an "expansion" quality balance patch for SC2 with new units (+ units removed?), big unit design changes, changes to race mechanics (especially protoss), etc. the kind of shit that you'd need developers for, rather than just stat tweaks. I'd be super hyped for a WC4 under Microsoft and I think it would be much more successful than a starcraft RTS. WC4 would instantly suck in the curious LoL / DotA / WoW fans and probably a lot of starcraft players too
gTank
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria2668 Posts
July 17 2023 13:40 GMT
#40
With he way they handled Warcraft 3 Reforged, I am afraid they already suck at making good RTS (or even just remastering their own games). Just fix your games before you release new ones.
Also, I hope they wont do another "dont you guys have phones" move on us.
One crossed wire, one wayward pinch of potassium chlorate, one errant twitch...and kablooie!
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 170
ProTech155
JuggernautJason65
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 222
Dewaltoss 109
Hyuk 79
firebathero 66
Trap 44
Bale 17
Dota 2
Gorgc9484
qojqva1284
Counter-Strike
fl0m1541
Fnx 754
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King73
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3798
Khaldor1102
crisheroes1051
Liquid`Hasu576
Other Games
summit1g6261
FrodaN2703
shahzam296
XBOCT268
C9.Mang0202
ArmadaUGS145
CosmosSc2 24
ZombieGrub9
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV208
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream64
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH358
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie934
• Shiphtur266
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h
CranKy Ducklings
14h
Online Event
15h
FEL
20h
AI Arena Tournament
21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
INu's Battles
1d 16h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.