• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:55
CEST 02:55
KST 09:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8388 users

What's the correct order of naming the three races of Star…

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
datastuff
Profile Joined September 2020
31 Posts
April 23 2023 23:56 GMT
#61
Khas accessing the psychic bond was "the first time in thousands of years". The aeon of strife can't have been longer than that. For zerg, the overmind was "created several millennia ago" and there's no way amon spent that long before making it. Unless you accept the primal zerg retcon then they're probably the oldest?

The timeline isn't very coherent tbh
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
April 24 2023 00:39 GMT
#62
Bootleg Tyranids, Ripped Off Space Elves (Eldar, Aeldari, take your pick), Imperial Guard on Drugs.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Malongo
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Chile3479 Posts
April 24 2023 01:26 GMT
#63
Well I'm surprised the amount of knowledge about the Starcraft Universe.
Help me! im still improving my English. An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. M. G.
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-04-26 02:06:05
April 26 2023 02:05 GMT
#64
On April 24 2023 00:42 zatic wrote:
I mean Protoss live for hundreds of years, so "countless" of generations can easily be 100 000 years and more. From the Khala to present day is pretty recent, yes, so ~2500 years seems about right. But before that the Protoss history can easily stretch for longer than humanity existed.


Sure, it can, but why should it?

On April 24 2023 09:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
Bootleg Tyranids, Ripped Off Space Elves (Eldar, Aeldari, take your pick), Imperial Guard on Drugs.


I've heard people saying that StarCraft ripped of Warhammer 40k a lot, but I've never really gotten a bead on how? Other than both having Starship Troopers and Alien influences, I've found most of the commonalities pretty superficial? Though to be honest, I don't know that much about 40k, I only played a bit of Warhammer Original Flavour back in High School, and some Warhammer Total War.

On April 24 2023 10:26 Malongo wrote:
Well I'm surprised the amount of knowledge about the Starcraft Universe.


I was a lore nerd for a decade before I saw my first professional game. I used to do this ranting on SCLegacy, but that site's been down for a while, so I'm taking this opportunity instead :D.
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-04-26 15:19:38
April 26 2023 15:08 GMT
#65
On April 26 2023 11:05 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2023 00:42 zatic wrote:
I mean Protoss live for hundreds of years, so "countless" of generations can easily be 100 000 years and more. From the Khala to present day is pretty recent, yes, so ~2500 years seems about right. But before that the Protoss history can easily stretch for longer than humanity existed.


Sure, it can, but why should it?

Show nested quote +
On April 24 2023 09:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
Bootleg Tyranids, Ripped Off Space Elves (Eldar, Aeldari, take your pick), Imperial Guard on Drugs.


I've heard people saying that StarCraft ripped of Warhammer 40k a lot, but I've never really gotten a bead on how? Other than both having Starship Troopers and Alien influences, I've found most of the commonalities pretty superficial? Though to be honest, I don't know that much about 40k, I only played a bit of Warhammer Original Flavour back in High School, and some Warhammer Total War.

Show nested quote +
On April 24 2023 10:26 Malongo wrote:
Well I'm surprised the amount of knowledge about the Starcraft Universe.


I was a lore nerd for a decade before I saw my first professional game. I used to do this ranting on SCLegacy, but that site's been down for a while, so I'm taking this opportunity instead :D.


Blizz has an awkward history with games workshop. The art style of Warcraft was heavily influenced by GW (you weren't seeing buff greenskinned orcs anywhere else at the time) and they actually wanted to obtain a license for Warhammer in order to give warcraft more commercial appeal.

As for StarCraft II, the races are pretty blatant copies of Warhammer 40k factions. The Zerg are insectoid aliens rules by a hive mind that biologically adapt in the same manner Tyranids do and often biological weapons/claws just like them.

Protoss are just space elves. The Eldar in W40k were a long lived very powerful, prideful and advanced race that incited an apocalypses of their own making. Since then they are less plentiful and less in number and often butt heads with the younger species.

The depiction of Terrans as sort of down on their luck space cowboys who are largely expendable is incredibly like the imperial guard. Is there an issue, but there's no point wasting space marine lives on it? Just throw millions of regular humans at the issue and something will happen.

(there's also stuff to get into about the old ones, war in the heaven, c tan etc being very similar to the starcraft lore that takes place earlier in that timeline)

The end result is two of Blizzard's first three big ip's are heavily influenced (aka copied) from Games Workshop. But Warhammer/W40k are just richer better stories than WC and definitely SC.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1367 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-04-26 15:47:01
April 26 2023 15:46 GMT
#66
On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2023 11:05 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
On April 24 2023 00:42 zatic wrote:
I mean Protoss live for hundreds of years, so "countless" of generations can easily be 100 000 years and more. From the Khala to present day is pretty recent, yes, so ~2500 years seems about right. But before that the Protoss history can easily stretch for longer than humanity existed.


Sure, it can, but why should it?

On April 24 2023 09:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
Bootleg Tyranids, Ripped Off Space Elves (Eldar, Aeldari, take your pick), Imperial Guard on Drugs.


I've heard people saying that StarCraft ripped of Warhammer 40k a lot, but I've never really gotten a bead on how? Other than both having Starship Troopers and Alien influences, I've found most of the commonalities pretty superficial? Though to be honest, I don't know that much about 40k, I only played a bit of Warhammer Original Flavour back in High School, and some Warhammer Total War.

On April 24 2023 10:26 Malongo wrote:
Well I'm surprised the amount of knowledge about the Starcraft Universe.


I was a lore nerd for a decade before I saw my first professional game. I used to do this ranting on SCLegacy, but that site's been down for a while, so I'm taking this opportunity instead :D.


Blizz has an awkward history with games workshop. The art style of Warcraft was heavily influenced by GW (you weren't seeing buff greenskinned orcs anywhere else at the time) and they actually wanted to obtain a license for Warhammer in order to give warcraft more commercial appeal.

As for StarCraft II, the races are pretty blatant copies of Warhammer 40k factions. The Zerg are insectoid aliens rules by a hive mind that biologically adapt in the same manner Tyranids do and often biological weapons/claws just like them.

Protoss are just space elves. The Eldar in W40k were a long lived very powerful, prideful and advanced race that incited an apocalypses of their own making. Since then they are less plentiful and less in number and often butt heads with the younger species.

The depiction of Terrans as sort of down on their luck space cowboys who are largely expendable is incredibly like the imperial guard. Is there an issue, but there's no point wasting space marine lives on it? Just throw millions of regular humans at the issue and something will happen.

(there's also stuff to get into about the old ones, war in the heaven, c tan etc being very similar to the starcraft lore that takes place earlier in that timeline)

The end result is two of Blizzard's first three big ip's are heavily influenced (aka copied) from Games Workshop. But Warhammer/W40k are just richer better stories than WC and definitely SC.


I give you "influenced", but "copied"? Come on. Yes, Warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game, they didn't get the license so instead they made their own thing - and I'm pretty sure whoever said "no" to that license deal is still getting tortured in the chambers of GW because holy shit did that dude fuck up. Warcraft and all that came afterwards always dwarved WH Fantasy by a mile. WC2 waws already heavily leaving the Warhammer train, while WC3 completly lost it and fully developed into their own thing, including a completly different way on how the world is build. And don't get me started on WoW.

As for Starcraft: Sure, there are influences from WH40K (which I adore btw), but again...copied? Yes, all three races have somewhat counterparts in the 40K-universe, but they mostly operate completly different and developed even further away from it with SC2. There were definetly other influences as well, the most obvious one of course being the Alien-franchise.

And finally...maybe Warhammer (40K) has a better lore, but better story? Not really. Especially since they still haven't managed to succesfully bring those stories into multimedia. Don't get me wrong, Gaunts Ghosts for example is one of the best book series I have ever read...but that's it, it is limited to books. Warcraft and Starcraft however brought those stories to life through videogames (and of course the fantastic cinematics), a feat GW will probably never achieve.

Warhammer is all about the freedom, making your own stories, maybe tying them into a greater lore. But Starcraft/Warcraft is about telling epic stories that are based in a lore that had to be figured out over the decades.
At that point it is about preference, but I for one would take the WC3 Arthas campaigns alone over anything ever presented story-wise in gaming.
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
April 26 2023 17:48 GMT
#67
On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 26 2023 11:05 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
On April 24 2023 00:42 zatic wrote:
I mean Protoss live for hundreds of years, so "countless" of generations can easily be 100 000 years and more. From the Khala to present day is pretty recent, yes, so ~2500 years seems about right. But before that the Protoss history can easily stretch for longer than humanity existed.


Sure, it can, but why should it?

On April 24 2023 09:39 Mizenhauer wrote:
Bootleg Tyranids, Ripped Off Space Elves (Eldar, Aeldari, take your pick), Imperial Guard on Drugs.


I've heard people saying that StarCraft ripped of Warhammer 40k a lot, but I've never really gotten a bead on how? Other than both having Starship Troopers and Alien influences, I've found most of the commonalities pretty superficial? Though to be honest, I don't know that much about 40k, I only played a bit of Warhammer Original Flavour back in High School, and some Warhammer Total War.

On April 24 2023 10:26 Malongo wrote:
Well I'm surprised the amount of knowledge about the Starcraft Universe.


I was a lore nerd for a decade before I saw my first professional game. I used to do this ranting on SCLegacy, but that site's been down for a while, so I'm taking this opportunity instead :D.


Blizz has an awkward history with games workshop. The art style of Warcraft was heavily influenced by GW (you weren't seeing buff greenskinned orcs anywhere else at the time) and they actually wanted to obtain a license for Warhammer in order to give warcraft more commercial appeal.


This I know, but while Warhammer 40k is an obvious extrapolation of original Warhammer, StarCraft is not a space version of WarCraft. The Warhammer influences on WarCraft do not translate.

On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:As for StarCraft II, the races are pretty blatant copies of Warhammer 40k factions. The Zerg are insectoid aliens rules by a hive mind that biologically adapt in the same manner Tyranids do and often biological weapons/claws just like them.


That's just the bugs from Starship Troopers. StarCraft's influence from Starship Troopers (and Alien) actually is extremely blatant, the similarities to Tyranids are likely coincidence from Games Workshop also lifting from Starship Troopers (and Alien).

I mean come on, "Games Workshop Zerg" looked like this in 1998. Zerg definitely got their looks from Starship Troopers, not Games Workshop, and since they also share the same characterisation, it's much more reasonable to assume that Starship Troopers influenced that as well.

On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:Protoss are just space elves. The Eldar in W40k were a long lived very powerful, prideful and advanced race that incited an apocalypses of their own making. Since then they are less plentiful and less in number and often butt heads with the younger species.


Protoss are not in any way space elves. Tolkien-derived elves, as appear in Warhammer, are an ancient and fading race. It's arguable how old Protoss are, as we've been doing in this thread, I place their very species as younger than human written word, and the current Khalai culture as about as old as France. And they're not a faded species. If they're currently on a downturn following the Zerg invasion of Aiur, there is no indication that this is an intrinsic or irreversible direction, and they were established in original StarCraft as the most powerful species in existence, at the height of their power, to the point that even the Overmind despaired of finding a way to overcome them. Even in Legacy of the Void, Amon is using the Golden Armada to basically wipe out all life in the Sector.

To the extent of my understanding of 40k lore, the faction that most resembles the Protoss is actually the Imperium of Man, the most recently dominant power in the galaxy, now crumbling due to a combination of alien invasion and internal strife, melding politics and religion to create a stagnant state of politics where disagreement with the state authority is hounded down as heresy, protected by a bio-engineered caste of super-warriors who still think using melee weapons is a good idea and so grotesquely overpowered that they can actually pull it off.

On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:The depiction of Terrans as sort of down on their luck space cowboys who are largely expendable is incredibly like the imperial guard. Is there an issue, but there's no point wasting space marine lives on it? Just throw millions of regular humans at the issue and something will happen.


That's an exceptionally flimsy description. Expendable human soldiers is not an idea nearly unique enough to rip-off, even in space. I'm also surprised to see them described as cowboys, I thought they were more comparable to WW2 armies in space. But also, trying to use the Imperial Guard without contextualising them within the larger frame of Warhammer 40k humanity is misleading.

Terran stories focus on rebels, outlaws and frontiersmen, and appeals to libertarian fantasies of self-made men on the fringes of society fighting to protect their freedom from the government. Warhammer 40k is set firmly within the central conceit of an impossibly ancient, unchanging, uncaring fascist empire. The strongest Terran government in the Koprulu Sector has been overthrown and replaced four times in the fiveish years since the StarCraft story started.

On April 27 2023 00:08 Mizenhauer wrote:The end result is two of Blizzard's first three big ip's are heavily influenced (aka copied) from Games Workshop. But Warhammer/W40k are just richer better stories than WC and definitely SC.


It might be that Warhammer stories are better, I haven't read any, my love for StarCraft lore derives massively from the fact that I was very young when I first played it, and all its concepts were very novel to me. I had never seen Starship Troopers, or Alien, or even Star Trek so it was a lot of new, exciting discoveries.

That said. there's still a lot to be valued in the stories and lore of StarCraft, especially in how they work to mix the story and gameplay. Terran I, Rebel Yell, is by far the best use of story in an RTS campaign I have ever seen.

As for Warhammer, one thing that annoys me in the fantasy game is that Games Workshop seem to be waffling on whether they want to play it as straight-faced fantasy or satire, and I get the same feeling from 40k, which has always kept me from approaching it. The only races I enjoy in original Warhammer are the ones I can describe with the opening "These are the dumbest shit you've ever seen because...", and that currently only applies to Empire, Bretonnia, Dwarfs, High Elves, Dark Elves, Greenskins and Skaven.
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
Athenau
Profile Joined March 2015
590 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-04-26 23:50:53
April 26 2023 23:49 GMT
#68
40k probably started as anti-fascist satire, but by now it's evolved into some mix of "cautionary tale" (are we the baddies?) and "conventional" (in the broad sense, but once you actually get into the details, it's just bonkers in the best way possible) space opera.

Really, 40k is what you get if you apply the rule of cool to as much shit as possible, turn everything up to 11, and then try your best to make the resulting mess work as a semi-coherent body of lore. It's awesome.

I agree that apart from bits of art direction (pauldrons!) there's not much commonality between 40k and Starcraft.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
April 27 2023 05:25 GMT
#69
On April 27 2023 02:48 Fanatic-Templar wrote:

That said. there's still a lot to be valued in the stories and lore of StarCraft, especially in how they work to mix the story and gameplay. Terran I, Rebel Yell, is by far the best use of story in an RTS campaign I have ever seen.


Agreed, the original StarCraft campaigns and the backstory are exemplary writing in gaming history. Just absolutely fantastic storytelling.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
breaker1328
Profile Joined March 2016
Canada301 Posts
May 06 2023 23:50 GMT
#70
I default to alphabetical order.
Vision_
Profile Joined September 2018
877 Posts
May 10 2023 11:45 GMT
#71
I have a real question for you,

Why only hydralisks are so much more expensive in starcraft 2 than in BW ?
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings64
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta32
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE148
ProTech140
SpeCial 122
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13556
Artosis 601
Shuttle 158
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm200
canceldota116
League of Legends
Doublelift3905
Counter-Strike
taco 196
minikerr18
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox396
AZ_Axe120
Other Games
summit1g6604
shahzam636
Day[9].tv584
C9.Mang0310
Maynarde151
Trikslyr60
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV180
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP53
• StrangeGG 40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv584
Upcoming Events
OSC
22h 5m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 9h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.