• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:00
CEST 12:00
KST 19:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11969 users

4.11.0 Patch - Major balance changes, Mengsk Commander - P…

Forum Index > SC2 General
240 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
franzji
Profile Joined September 2013
United States583 Posts
November 29 2019 01:18 GMT
#101
Completely random thought here... but Terran mech is pretty good vs protoss now. Tanks+libs counter ground and Thors beat protoss air. It's kinda weird but lowkey really really strong.
ilax30
Profile Joined November 2019
720 Posts
November 29 2019 01:41 GMT
#102
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact
franzji
Profile Joined September 2013
United States583 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-29 03:03:57
November 29 2019 03:03 GMT
#103
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact


yes they are good in those cases, but in other cases they have gotten seriously nerfed, like later in the game when the zealots die very fast after they hit their "charge" +damage boost vs. terran.

I would say it's still a nerf.
AttackZerg
Profile Blog Joined January 2003
United States7639 Posts
November 29 2019 03:41 GMT
#104
I was really excited to face protoss with units fast enough to tri-quad split late middlegame to give protoss a second opportunity to get to a advantageous lategame.

Instead, they made zealots just slow enough to be bad and just weak enough to call it a nerf.

I hope they increase the lot speed a little more. Or give it more damage.

The adept is a great concept unit ... but it is a gimmick unit and ... protoss deserve better. Imo.

I play zerg, I just want my opponents to have a good, fair and enjoyable opportunity to win games.
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
November 29 2019 03:42 GMT
#105
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact

Yeah, that's what I meant when I said they seemed good versus zerg from the bit I've seen on stream and played. If roaches aren't on creep the zerg has to stutter step micro them now to kill the zealots or the roaches will just die as they try to retreat. Just retreating doesn't cut it because the zealots are faster now, even with roach speed when off creep.They're also quite good against ravagers since ravagers are slower. They certainly seem to make roach/ravager busts on the third much bigger of a risk that they previously were as retreating is much harder, especially with the ravagers. I've already had a game where the zerg did a ravager bust, lost everything but the ravagers, tried to retreat with their ravagers, and lost all of the ravagers to zealots. It was pretty satisfying.

They also are significantly better against hydras with or without speed off creep. The zerg player now has to be way more careful with their banelings when doing a hydra/ling/bane all-in because of the banelings gets wasted on an archons or immortals, the zealots will be much more likely to clean up the rest of the units before the zerg can retreat back to creep. If there isn't a critical mass of hydras, they're borderline bad against zealots now if they don't have other units with them to keep the zealots away.

But then against terran it's a completely different story so it's hard to say overall at this point if they're too good or not.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
papapanda
Profile Joined April 2010
Taiwan326 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-29 06:41:33
November 29 2019 06:39 GMT
#106
On November 29 2019 12:03 youngjiddle wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact


yes they are good in those cases, but in other cases they have gotten seriously nerfed, like later in the game when the zealots die very fast after they hit their "charge" +damage boost vs. terran.

I would say it's still a nerf.


What changes make zealots less tanky vs terran?
Your statement is grammatically chaotic so I'm not quite sure what you mean with all the "they's", but I'm assuming you are making a joke about stim since zealot's have no damage boost. Are you referencing the 21 second reduction in stim upgrade time (from Patch 4.10.1) as "seriously nerf[ing]" zealots specifically?

A valid complaint is zealots not being able to deal extra burst damage with charge, but they still fulfill their role as a front line tank.
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
November 29 2019 08:52 GMT
#107
On November 29 2019 15:39 papapanda wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 29 2019 12:03 youngjiddle wrote:
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact


yes they are good in those cases, but in other cases they have gotten seriously nerfed, like later in the game when the zealots die very fast after they hit their "charge" +damage boost vs. terran.

I would say it's still a nerf.


What changes make zealots less tanky vs terran?
Your statement is grammatically chaotic so I'm not quite sure what you mean with all the "they's", but I'm assuming you are making a joke about stim since zealot's have no damage boost. Are you referencing the 21 second reduction in stim upgrade time (from Patch 4.10.1) as "seriously nerf[ing]" zealots specifically?

A valid complaint is zealots not being able to deal extra burst damage with charge, but they still fulfill their role as a front line tank.


They are not less tanky, but I think he meant they initially off kill less bio quickly now to reduce the DPS of the bioball. I guess you could consider lategame zealots one-hit-wonders lategame, as they would often not survive after their initial charge attack.

Speed of units is very important in SC2. My feeling is that the charge change will be considered a fair trade or buff when everything is said and done.
Buff the siegetank
LHK
Profile Joined May 2015
204 Posts
November 29 2019 09:06 GMT
#108
On November 29 2019 17:52 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 29 2019 15:39 papapanda wrote:
On November 29 2019 12:03 youngjiddle wrote:
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact


yes they are good in those cases, but in other cases they have gotten seriously nerfed, like later in the game when the zealots die very fast after they hit their "charge" +damage boost vs. terran.

I would say it's still a nerf.


What changes make zealots less tanky vs terran?
Your statement is grammatically chaotic so I'm not quite sure what you mean with all the "they's", but I'm assuming you are making a joke about stim since zealot's have no damage boost. Are you referencing the 21 second reduction in stim upgrade time (from Patch 4.10.1) as "seriously nerf[ing]" zealots specifically?

A valid complaint is zealots not being able to deal extra burst damage with charge, but they still fulfill their role as a front line tank.


They are not less tanky, but I think he meant they initially off kill less bio quickly now to reduce the DPS of the bioball. I guess you could consider lategame zealots one-hit-wonders lategame, as they would often not survive after their initial charge attack.

Speed of units is very important in SC2. My feeling is that the charge change will be considered a fair trade or buff when everything is said and done.



I believe they want the goal of Zealots to be more similar to BW - where more surface area = more damage. Splitting / Flanking etc being necessary to maximize the unit. Where before, the charge in would kill say 5% of the bio-ball on engage (cos insta-gibbing marines), now in order to get value you have to have surface area and/or flanking similar to lings. Will it work in practice? Not super sure on that, but that to me seems like the goal.
-Laura
washikie
Profile Joined February 2011
United States752 Posts
November 29 2019 17:32 GMT
#109
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.
"when life gives Hero lemons he makes carriers" -Artosis
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-29 17:58:07
November 29 2019 17:57 GMT
#110
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
November 29 2019 18:38 GMT
#111
On November 29 2019 18:06 LHK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 29 2019 17:52 Slydie wrote:
On November 29 2019 15:39 papapanda wrote:
On November 29 2019 12:03 youngjiddle wrote:
On November 29 2019 10:41 ilax30 wrote:
Have people actually played with the new chargelots? Soo good roaches cant kite them off creep them. Harstem even said in one of his pre hsc streams that he told the balance team they are a bit too good now. People really like to overreact


yes they are good in those cases, but in other cases they have gotten seriously nerfed, like later in the game when the zealots die very fast after they hit their "charge" +damage boost vs. terran.

I would say it's still a nerf.


What changes make zealots less tanky vs terran?
Your statement is grammatically chaotic so I'm not quite sure what you mean with all the "they's", but I'm assuming you are making a joke about stim since zealot's have no damage boost. Are you referencing the 21 second reduction in stim upgrade time (from Patch 4.10.1) as "seriously nerf[ing]" zealots specifically?

A valid complaint is zealots not being able to deal extra burst damage with charge, but they still fulfill their role as a front line tank.


They are not less tanky, but I think he meant they initially off kill less bio quickly now to reduce the DPS of the bioball. I guess you could consider lategame zealots one-hit-wonders lategame, as they would often not survive after their initial charge attack.

Speed of units is very important in SC2. My feeling is that the charge change will be considered a fair trade or buff when everything is said and done.



I believe they want the goal of Zealots to be more similar to BW - where more surface area = more damage. Splitting / Flanking etc being necessary to maximize the unit. Where before, the charge in would kill say 5% of the bio-ball on engage (cos insta-gibbing marines), now in order to get value you have to have surface area and/or flanking similar to lings. Will it work in practice? Not super sure on that, but that to me seems like the goal.



Problem with this idea is that Terran bio has waaaaay too much dps density for that to ever work. You'd have to buff the crap out of Zealot health or shields, like by 50, for that dynamic to work and I'm pretty sure that would break PvZ. Z wouldn't be able to trade with those Zealots early on.

I really, really think the balance team should revert their Zealot and Adept ideas. They're poorly thought through and have hilarious implementation. I also hope that they really, really consider the impacts of their changes going forward because these changes indicate to me that they've no clue what they're doing when it comes to Protoss.
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
November 29 2019 18:40 GMT
#112
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
November 29 2019 19:12 GMT
#113
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.
Buff the siegetank
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27456 Posts
November 29 2019 19:33 GMT
#114
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.

Which pros said that?

While not absolute consensus most of what I’ve heard (from P) is that new Zealot is pretty bad for vT in certain aspects, although runbys are good and that the extra mobility is a good tool vZ

We’ll see how it settles down. My instinct would be that the loss of the bonus damage will be bad for the vT matchup, but good for the vZ (looking at it as a neutral not as a P here as before)

vT I think the burst damage is really important and even with the extra speed Zealots aren’t fast enough to compensate entirely via increased micro ability. vZ, while certainly nice the unit and composition interactions mean I don’t think the bonus damage is as critical, and the increased mobility helps P in other ways like sharking around and clearing creep. Plus the nerf neuters some of the sillier early chargelot Immortal timings too which I’m not really a fan of as a player or a viewer
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Obamarauder
Profile Joined June 2015
697 Posts
November 29 2019 19:45 GMT
#115
Not sure how i feel about the chargelot nerf even as a terran. Protoss players arent doing gateway heavy style anymore and going to colossus/stalker centric builds. It almost feels like a faster paced Hots TvP atm
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
November 29 2019 20:09 GMT
#116
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.


I'm not the kind of guy to just accept what pros say without analysis. If I did, then I'd agree with Special that ObSeRvErS ArE ToO StRoNg. As one example of insane pro bias and why critical thought is very important.

Homestory cup wasn't a good indicator of anything. New patch, small sample size and it's the 1st tournament on the new patch. The meta has absolutely zero refinement right now.

But on paper and in practice, Zealots are bad vs bio now. Very, very bad and it's because without the +8 damage on charge, they don't kill as fast which means they have to tank more. Even double forge chrono'd constantly doesn't make up for that loss.

In PvZ it's more of a redesign though. Not entirely sure how the speed works out vs Roaches but Roaches off creep could kite before whereas they can't now so it probably ends up being about the same.
Decendos
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany1341 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-29 20:53:21
November 29 2019 20:52 GMT
#117
On November 30 2019 05:09 BabelFish1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.


I'm not the kind of guy to just accept what pros say without analysis. If I did, then I'd agree with Special that ObSeRvErS ArE ToO StRoNg. As one example of insane pro bias and why critical thought is very important.

Homestory cup wasn't a good indicator of anything. New patch, small sample size and it's the 1st tournament on the new patch. The meta has absolutely zero refinement right now.

But on paper and in practice, Zealots are bad vs bio now. Very, very bad and it's because without the +8 damage on charge, they don't kill as fast which means they have to tank more. Even double forge chrono'd constantly doesn't make up for that loss.

In PvZ it's more of a redesign though. Not entirely sure how the speed works out vs Roaches but Roaches off creep could kite before whereas they can't now so it probably ends up being about the same.


New Zealot is superstrong now. The -8 damage dont do much. Even 20 Zealots charging will do 160 dmg = 1 marine 1 marauder...but them being able to runby a lot faster, pull back faster means stronger lategame zealots and also forcing out just 1 more stim out of Terran because stimmed bio is only slightly faster now is WAY more damage than the +8.

Overall more speedy zealots ist just insane vs any Z unit offcreep and vs stimmed bio and lategame vs all races. Lets see if it stays as speedy in the next months.
BabelFish1
Profile Joined September 2015
186 Posts
November 29 2019 20:57 GMT
#118
On November 30 2019 05:52 Decendos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 05:09 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.


I'm not the kind of guy to just accept what pros say without analysis. If I did, then I'd agree with Special that ObSeRvErS ArE ToO StRoNg. As one example of insane pro bias and why critical thought is very important.

Homestory cup wasn't a good indicator of anything. New patch, small sample size and it's the 1st tournament on the new patch. The meta has absolutely zero refinement right now.

But on paper and in practice, Zealots are bad vs bio now. Very, very bad and it's because without the +8 damage on charge, they don't kill as fast which means they have to tank more. Even double forge chrono'd constantly doesn't make up for that loss.

In PvZ it's more of a redesign though. Not entirely sure how the speed works out vs Roaches but Roaches off creep could kite before whereas they can't now so it probably ends up being about the same.


New Zealot is superstrong now. The -8 damage dont do much. Even 20 Zealots charging will do 160 dmg = 1 marine 1 marauder...but them being able to runby a lot faster, pull back faster means stronger lategame zealots and also forcing out just 1 more stim out of Terran because stimmed bio is only slightly faster now is WAY more damage than the +8.

Overall more speedy zealots ist just insane vs any Z unit offcreep and vs stimmed bio and lategame vs all races. Lets see if it stays as speedy in the next months.


I'll give it more of a try later on, maybe I'm just not doing something right but for my preferred opener, which is fast charge on 1 gas and a fast 3rd before grabbing 3 additional gas, it's nowhere near as good. Terran 2 base allins just shred the chargelots without that +8 damage during that timing window. Especially if it involves bio.
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
November 29 2019 23:29 GMT
#119
On November 30 2019 05:09 BabelFish1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.


I'm not the kind of guy to just accept what pros say without analysis. If I did, then I'd agree with Special that ObSeRvErS ArE ToO StRoNg. As one example of insane pro bias and why critical thought is very important.

Homestory cup wasn't a good indicator of anything. New patch, small sample size and it's the 1st tournament on the new patch. The meta has absolutely zero refinement right now.

But on paper and in practice, Zealots are bad vs bio now. Very, very bad and it's because without the +8 damage on charge, they don't kill as fast which means they have to tank more. Even double forge chrono'd constantly doesn't make up for that loss.

In PvZ it's more of a redesign though. Not entirely sure how the speed works out vs Roaches but Roaches off creep could kite before whereas they can't now so it probably ends up being about the same.


It was early of the patch, but I think the PvT overall winrate was the best of the tournament, way in th 60s, so it should be a good indicator, even considering the Korean P vs European T matchups. Some individual winrates in PvT:
Parting: 4-3
Showtime: 5-4
MaNa: 9-3
Trap: 12-4
Stats: 4-0
Zest: 4-0

On the flipside, Cure, Innovation and uThermal went 5-1, 5-0 and 7-4 respectively, but Clem, who is famous for being one of the best TvP players in Europe, recently beating MaNa in nationwars, only managed a 5-4 record, and solid players like souL and Marinelord did not win a TvP.

As for the pros, I have heard Harstem, Demuslim and Heromarine state that they think the new zealots are very strong after the patch released, which are pretty much all the ones I have heard talk about the issue lately.

Yes, the sample sizes could have been bigger, but it is still a lot more data and qualified opinions than what you came up with.

I think what they lose in dps in main fights is more than made up for by a massive improvement as a catchup, flanking, runby and harassment unit.
Buff the siegetank
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-11-29 23:33:48
November 29 2019 23:33 GMT
#120
On November 30 2019 08:29 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2019 05:09 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 04:12 Slydie wrote:
On November 30 2019 03:40 BabelFish1 wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:57 MockHamill wrote:
On November 30 2019 02:32 washikie wrote:
I for one am quite enjoying this patch. The changes they made have done a lot to improve ballance. I think I might enjoy a few more radical changes that shake up late game. But overall this was good.


I agree that this patch is a major improvement. Zealot change improved TvP and Nydus went from OP to strong.

The only thing I do not like is that TvT is still about who can mass the most vikings. Thors do absolutely nothing against vikings or liberators. Basically if I see my opponent trying to mix in Thors instead of just massing more vikings, it is a free win, given similar skill level.


The heck? The Zealot is a total unmitigated failure in TvP after the Charge nerf. Chargelots cannot contest bio now and that was a fairly important dynamic.


Well, PvT had a fantastic overall winrate at homestory cup, which was played on the patch, and both Terran and Protoss pros stated they think the new Zealot is too strong.


I'm not the kind of guy to just accept what pros say without analysis. If I did, then I'd agree with Special that ObSeRvErS ArE ToO StRoNg. As one example of insane pro bias and why critical thought is very important.

Homestory cup wasn't a good indicator of anything. New patch, small sample size and it's the 1st tournament on the new patch. The meta has absolutely zero refinement right now.

But on paper and in practice, Zealots are bad vs bio now. Very, very bad and it's because without the +8 damage on charge, they don't kill as fast which means they have to tank more. Even double forge chrono'd constantly doesn't make up for that loss.

In PvZ it's more of a redesign though. Not entirely sure how the speed works out vs Roaches but Roaches off creep could kite before whereas they can't now so it probably ends up being about the same.


It was early of the patch, but I think the PvT overall winrate was the best of the tournament, way in th 60s, so it should be a good indicator, even considering the Korean P vs European T matchups. Some individual winrates in PvT:
Parting: 4-3
Showtime: 5-4
MaNa: 9-3
Trap: 12-4
Stats: 4-0
Zest: 4-0

On the flipside, Cure, Innovation and uThermal went 5-1, 5-0 and 7-4 respectively, but Clem, who is famous for being one of the best TvP players in Europe, recently beating MaNa in nationwars, only managed a 5-4 record, and solid players like souL and Marinelord did not win a TvP.

As for the pros, I have heard Harstem, Demuslim and Heromarine state that they think the new zealots are very strong after the patch released, which are pretty much all the ones I have heard talk about the issue lately.

Yes, the sample sizes could have been bigger, but it is still a lot more data and qualified opinions than what you came up with.

I think what they lose in dps in main fights is more than made up for by a massive improvement as a catchup, flanking, runby and harassment unit.

The last game I saw on stream, a slightly distracted Heromarine got owned by a charge/warp prism plays right as he was about to move out for his 2-base push. Maybe try that instead (just not vs me, plz!)
Buff the siegetank
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 7265
Horang2 553
BeSt 469
Hyuk 453
Stork 161
sorry 116
Pusan 85
Killer 80
Shinee 78
Hyun 68
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 62
Bonyth 49
Snow 47
Mind 36
Bale 34
Hm[arnc] 32
JYJ 22
Sacsri 20
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe23
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns28931
singsing2077
ArmadaUGS74
Mew2King71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick685
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• Adnapsc2 22
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2299
League of Legends
• Lourlo1522
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h
BSL Open Qualifier
9h
Replay Cast
13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.