• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:59
CEST 02:59
KST 09:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1 [IPSL] IPSL is Back With Winter 26-27!
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10923 users

Get to Know Your WCS Challengers: Scarlett

Forum Index > SC2 General
32 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33701 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-12 17:31:00
June 10 2017 16:41 GMT
#1
After six months of training in Korea's GSL, (Wiki)Scarlett will be headed to WCS Jönköping to take on the best players on the international circuit. I talked to Scarlett about her experience playing in the GSL, and how she's in great form ahead of her trip to Sweden. But first, we discussed the much more important topic of the best Korean foods.

*This interview has been edited and condensed.


[image loading]


Wax: Let's start off with a brief self-introduction, even if it's just a formality.

Scarlett: Helllllo everyone ! I'm a Canadian Zerg progamer playing for around 5 years now~

What's been up with you lately? I heard you're back in Canada for a bit?

Same as usual really; but I'm not in Canada no. Been in Korea since November and gonna be here until WCS Montreal at least. Been staying with MajOr, NoRegreT and players than come and go in a house here.

How's Korea been treating you? Are you still discovering new things?

It's nice~ Really enjoy living here. Not much is that new to me anymore but I enjoy showing newcomers around. Biggest thing I'm still learning is the language which is a slow process, since I live in a teamhouse now and mostly talk English day to day.

When was the last time you tried a new Korean food and went like "wow this is really good"?

Definitely hobak-jook (pumpkin porridge). One of my favorite foods now if it's made well. Gonna try making it myself in the fall.

I think the first time I tried it was at a cha-jib (tea house) in Insa-dong (neighborhood in Seoul). It just looked really good from the picture at the time. Maybe I need to eat more vegetables...

You ever have a phase earlier, when you were just actively trying to seek out and eat a wide variety of Korean foods?

Actually recently more than ever; MajOr also really enjoys Korean food so we've been exploring whats nearby. Partly cause I was in Japan last month and after trying a lot, I didn't like it nearly as much as what I had in Korea, so I wanted to see more of what exists.

What are some of the things you've found lately that fit your tastes? And what are some of the things you probably wouldn't have again?

I thought kongguksu (cold noodles in soy milk) would be really good but it wasn't quite what was expected. It was with Hurricane, though, and he said it wasn't made very well there so will have to try it again... Mostly I like what I try but then I don't try everything. Have never eaten red meat so there's lots of foods I avoid. Maybe want to try jjolmyun (a kind of chewy noodle) soon also.

At this point, you'd be pretty comfortable eating only Korean food? Nothing from Canadian food—whatever that is—you have random cravings for?

Yea I do eat all Korean while I'm here. If anything that I'd like to have it's mostly not Canadian.. Thai/Indian/Chinese food I also quite enjoy. The biggest thing I miss from home is varenyky (pierogi) which my family always ate on Christmas eve and some other holidays.

You've spent a lot of time in Korea, and I'm curious what you consider to be representative of the country. What kind of stuff is on the itinerary when you're showing new people around?

Haha actually mostly I just show people favourite foods.. and how to get around the city/basic Korean words. Not might of a 'sightseer' myself.

I mostly like spicy stuff.. so dak-galbi (spicy grilled chicken), jjuggumi-ssam (spicy octopus wraps), bibim-naegmyeon (spicy cold noodles), and then street foods like hoddeok (pancake with sweet filling), ddeokbboki (rice cakes in spicy sauce), goguma-twigim (fried sweet potato) can be really good some places. And chi-maek (fried chicken and beer), of course.

Not as much into the samgyupsal (grilled pork belly) and bulgogi (marinated grilled beef slices) KBBQ as most people though.

As far as I can tell, you seem to have picked up a decent amount of Korean. Was all of that learned just through daily interactions, or did you take courses or spend time intensively studying?

Mostly just daily interactions; especially last year I lived alone and it helps a lot learning when I'm not speaking English to roommates all day... Recently I've been going to a once a week class to help out a bit, also.

Do you find that your language skills skew weirdly in a particular direction? Like, you're trying to communicate with an old lady but everything comes out as a StarCraft meme.

Actually most of my StarCraft vocab comes from MajOr. which he picked up while living in Team 8. He knows many words even though he can't read hangeul still... My vocab is best for food and restaurants as should be clear by this interview so far ^^

How do you like life in this current team house? You've had a lot of different living situations, so how does this one rate?

It's alright~ Definitely helps a lot living with MajOr in terms of improving at Starcraft; In terms of living it's a little... messier than I'd like but I've been trying to get roommates to be a little better about that

What's the #1 most inconvenient thing about being in Korea compared to anywhere else in the world? And why is it finding shoes that aren't tiny as f***?

I don’t even bother looking here anymore; but I’m in Canada a couple times a year so it's okay. I’d say the biggest inconvenience is the lag playing NA tournaments; I have to completely change playstyle when I do.

Anyway, onto StarCraft. You've spent about half a year now in the GSL system. How's the experience been, and did you play up to your expectations?

I’ve enjoyed it; nice not having to fly out to events as much. I guess Season 1 I didn’t do as well as I hoped; was playing very well before then but performed badly when I played my group. But for Season 2... I guess I should have been able to beat Keen; but I wasn't better than Stats or Classic at the time by any means. Honestly however well I do, I still enjoy playing in it.

Like, you enjoy the experience of playing in the GSL, independent from winning and losing? Is it because of the history and reputation?

Yea; partly that and cause it's a whole different experience from the tournaments I played in before... Sometimes I get tired of StarCraft but GSL has helped me stay... motivated? I guess.

Do you get the sense that there's something really different about those matches, that the players you've met on ladder are truly going to another level?

I think that depends on the player; Most are better in practice/ladder but there's a few for sure that step it up in GSL; players like Stats/hero/TY. soO also is amazingly consistent no matter how good he is at the moment.

When you say some players are better, is that because they bring their best strategies/builds, or because magically their mechanics are cleaner, their micro is better, their 'sense' is better, etc?

It’s not about builds.. like ‘feeling’ for the game. I don’t know how I’d describe it to someone that doesn’t compete. I guess 'focus' in a sense.

Do you feel you've continued to improve over the course of the 2017 season? Most of the people who go to Korea for even a short while say they notice a jump in skill, but I wonder how that is over a longer period.

I think it’s different for me cause I’m not here specifically for practice... Most people come and play all day vs much better opponents so of course they improve at first but I have up and downs. I feel like I was good in January and am again recently, but wasn't in Feb-May. Just cause there's times where I’m playing more sometimes than others.

How do you feel about your current skill level headed into Jönköping? You'll be familiar with the foreigner contingent that bootcamps in KR, but do you have a sense of how you'd do against the Europeans?

Actually I feel I have the best chance I’ve had in a long time; if there's anything I’m worried about is that ZvZ on these maps feels very random.

Have you been keeping up with foreign tournaments, like watching Challenger etc.?

Not as much; I try to watch Serral’s games as the Europeans hype him up quite a bit. But it’s still on the to-do list to watch the million EU ZvZ matches beforeJönköping.

What makes you feel so confident then?

Just how I feel about my own play recently.

When would you say was the last time you felt this good about your skill level?

Maybe 2nd half of 2013. Almost as good as I was back then.

Alright let's wrap up with our famous pirate question. If your loved ones were kidnapped by pirates and you could only rescue them by recruiting a team of three other SC2 players, who would you pick and why?

Hmm... MajOr cause he doesn’t take s*** from anyone; Stats for morale; and Silky for his unappreciated genius [note: this was before Silky was banned for account-sharing].

Any final shoutouts, comments, or things you're trying to sell?

Shoutout to Solar ~ SSL finals tomorrow vs Innovation [note: this was before INnoVation ran Solar over with a truck]; Neeb who just rejoined us in Korea last night; and reapers for coming back to ruin TvZ yet again.


Amazing job by Scarlett pulling off the rare double-jinx. Make sure to tune in for WCS Jönköping on June 17-19 to see if she can turn it into an unprecedented triple-jinx.

To see how Scarlett measures up as a championship contender, check out her recent match vs WCS Austin champion Neeb from WCS Challenger.




You can follow Scarlett on Twitter at @onfirescarlett, and you can find her competitive statistics on Aligulac.com.


You can read more interviews with the WCS Challengers who will compete at WCS Jönköping during June 17-19!
  • Seither
  • iaguz
  • Namshar
  • JonSnow
  • Winter
  • Semper
  • Serral
More interviews are coming soon™
Facebook Twitter Reddit
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Kerdinand
Profile Joined November 2016
Germany113 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-10 16:49:43
June 10 2017 16:49 GMT
#2
Ah, I´ve been waiting for this far too long! Scarlett fighting!

Also:

note: this was before INnoVation ran Solar over with a truck


I laughed at this more than I probably should have .
Na jakar me'nah. - sOs - PartinG - Stats
Gurbak
Profile Joined January 2017
France622 Posts
June 10 2017 17:14 GMT
#3
great interviews
Argonauta
Profile Joined July 2016
Spain4967 Posts
June 10 2017 18:21 GMT
#4
I got hungry
Rogue | Maru | Scarlett | Trap
TL+ Member
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
June 10 2017 18:25 GMT
#5
I think she talks about the silky who didn't get banned, i would assume so
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
June 10 2017 18:27 GMT
#6
I especially liked the first part about the food
DariaLaKill
Profile Joined May 2017
19 Posts
June 10 2017 19:15 GMT
#7
Do you have Russian or Ukranian roots, Shura?)))
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
June 10 2017 21:18 GMT
#8
Who? Never heard of this player. Guess thanks for the interview so we know about them
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
June 10 2017 21:19 GMT
#9
On June 11 2017 03:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I think she talks about the silky who didn't get banned, i would assume so

Idk she said Chinese silky was coming to live with her in Korea before the news broke
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Sholip
Profile Blog Joined March 2014
Hungary422 Posts
June 10 2017 21:22 GMT
#10
On June 11 2017 03:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I think she talks about the silky who didn't get banned, i would assume so

I don't think so:
On June 10 2017 12:59 Scarlett` wrote:
Silky and Coffee were going to come live with us in Korea; rip

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer. Also, Zest is best." – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Scarlett`
Profile Joined April 2011
Korea (South)2435 Posts
June 10 2017 21:26 GMT
#11
On June 11 2017 04:15 DariaLaKill wrote:
Do you have Russian or Ukranian roots, Shura?)))

Ukraine
Progamer
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-06-10 21:39:49
June 10 2017 21:39 GMT
#12
On June 11 2017 06:19 Shellshock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2017 03:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I think she talks about the silky who didn't get banned, i would assume so

Idk she said Chinese silky was coming to live with her in Korea before the news broke


On June 11 2017 06:22 Sholip wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2017 03:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
I think she talks about the silky who didn't get banned, i would assume so

I don't think so:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2017 12:59 Scarlett` wrote:
Silky and Coffee were going to come live with us in Korea; rip



Oh nvm then :>, RIP indeed
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
argonautdice
Profile Joined January 2013
Canada2722 Posts
June 10 2017 22:22 GMT
#13
Scarlett Zerg Canada
Neeb Protoss USA
Major Terran Mexico
The Korea-trained NA triumvirate will take WCS by storm (and fungal and nuke)! :D
very illegal and very uncool
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
June 10 2017 22:46 GMT
#14
Nice culinary lesson interview.
Linko_66
Profile Joined July 2011
Ukraine28 Posts
June 11 2017 00:17 GMT
#15
On June 11 2017 06:26 Scarlett` wrote:
Ukraine

I thought so after you mentioned varenyky^^ Greetings from Ukraine and good luck at Jönköping!
Gwavajuice
Profile Joined June 2014
France1810 Posts
June 11 2017 00:20 GMT
#16
Nice interview thx, the double jinx is kinda funny too.
Dear INno and all the former STX boys.
Solar424
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
United States4001 Posts
June 11 2017 00:33 GMT
#17
How did you forget to ask her about her favorite snack food?
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
June 11 2017 01:03 GMT
#18
Now I am so hungry.....
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
TheFish7
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States2824 Posts
June 11 2017 03:30 GMT
#19
Give 'em hell, Scarlett!
~ ~ <°)))><~ ~ ~
ParksonVN
Profile Joined October 2015
Australia370 Posts
June 11 2017 03:51 GMT
#20
I wonder are foreigners like Scarlet, Neeb, Major getting chances to practice with top Korean players outside ladder ? Like teamhouse practice ? Coz i saw Stats and Leenock on Scarlet's stream quite some times.
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings87
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 152
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10609
White-Ra 342
Dota 2
monkeys_forever802
NeuroSwarm111
League of Legends
Doublelift5585
JimRising 673
Counter-Strike
fl0m4523
minikerr27
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox774
AZ_Axe172
Other Games
summit1g7762
Maynarde190
KnowMe185
ArmadaUGS94
Mew2King27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick222
BasetradeTV180
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 72
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 1m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
10h 1m
Monday Night Weeklies
15h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 23h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.