• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:27
CEST 11:27
KST 18:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11090 users

HotS Balance Update - April 9 - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
339 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
gDPhantom
Profile Joined January 2015
New Zealand162 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-12 04:55:24
April 12 2015 04:55 GMT
#261
What was the reasoning behind the tempest nerf? it has mucked up PvP. I guess it was intended to make brood more viable after the SH change
YNWA
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10861 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-12 08:14:37
April 12 2015 08:14 GMT
#262


I´m afraid that this is gonna be even worse than the dreaded "queen patch"..


I'm afraid that you really are just unsure of what you are talking about... The "Queen Patch" was much needed, remember SlayerS killing everyone with hellions? ...
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
RaFox17
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland4581 Posts
April 12 2015 08:30 GMT
#263
On April 12 2015 17:14 GGzerG wrote:
Show nested quote +


I´m afraid that this is gonna be even worse than the dreaded "queen patch"..


I'm afraid that you really are just unsure of what you are talking about... The "Queen Patch" was much needed, remember SlayerS killing everyone with hellions? ...

Ask any terran and they will tell you how it brought about the bl/infestor time. I agree that it was needed against the hellions. I don't think this patch was a good idea.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
April 12 2015 09:11 GMT
#264
On April 12 2015 17:14 GGzerG wrote:
Show nested quote +


I´m afraid that this is gonna be even worse than the dreaded "queen patch"..


I'm afraid that you really are just unsure of what you are talking about... The "Queen Patch" was much needed, remember SlayerS killing everyone with hellions? ...


That style was figured out months before the queen patch. The queen patch was great because it removed the coinflip nature from TvZ, where Terran could just throw out random two base builds while you were still guessing wether he was going 3CC, Mech or Bio or whatever he wanted. Remember that the queen patch also introduced the faster overlords that were needed so that a good Terran couldn't snipe your first overlord or at least force you to drive it to a useless space and that you could at least get a somewhat decent scout off.
But similar to this patch, it should have been done right after release or even in the beta of the game. Zergs were complaining from 2010-2012 that they didn't have the same good early game defensive tools as the other races and that was exactly what the queen patch provided - after the game had already been balanced around coinflip strategies in the early game.
This also goes for the swarm host patch now. They should have scrapped the swarm host long ago and then balanced the game around its nonexistance/mediocrity. They still have the chance to repair the situation now, but I'm very doubtful that they are going to patch as heavily as needed with LotV on the doorsteps. At best they are going to repair the swarm host until it is a shitty but useful tool again and then the whole patching process will be moot.
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
April 12 2015 10:39 GMT
#265
On April 12 2015 13:55 gDPhantom wrote:
What was the reasoning behind the tempest nerf? it has mucked up PvP. I guess it was intended to make brood more viable after the SH change


The reason why broodlords suck against tempest is not because of the tempest's bonus against massive. It's because tempests have a much higher range and broordlords are really slow, expensive and targetable.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
April 12 2015 10:53 GMT
#266
On April 12 2015 19:39 KingAlphard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2015 13:55 gDPhantom wrote:
What was the reasoning behind the tempest nerf? it has mucked up PvP. I guess it was intended to make brood more viable after the SH change


The reason why broodlords suck against tempest is not because of the tempest's bonus against massive. It's because tempests have a much higher range and broordlords are really slow, expensive and targetable.


You need a ton of Tempests to stop broodlords without bonus damage or your ground army will be wiped out in seconds. You can't do the blind Colossus/Stalker/Templar "woooooops, I didn't scout at all and now he has a greater spire, quick chronoboost 3 Tempests to hardcounter his 10 much more expensive Broodlords." You're gonna get destroyed cutting stalkers and trying or you are going to get destroyed by 20 Broodlords if you are trying to get by without air. At least that's my theorycraft on it, by far not enough experience with it up to now.
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
April 12 2015 11:27 GMT
#267
it's not like zerg will have that much time to get well upgraded army and rush to broodlords, even then it isn't going to be anywhere close to its former glory which largely depended on fungal.

I think broodlords will still be ineffective, protoss has so much time to prepare and have lots of ways to buy time.
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Lunchador
Profile Joined April 2010
United States776 Posts
April 12 2015 14:23 GMT
#268
The new swarm host is ah, um... underwhelming? Fills you with regret for making them now? Makes you question the meaning of life? I thought their new functionality seemed pretty cool on paper, but it's really, really hard to justify their cost vs what they are capable of, especially when an attack is inbound and your locusts are on cooldown. Worst feeling ever.

This is a ladder team game with my friends where I personally witness their new "prowess". Granted, in hindsight there actually are better ways to control them as I learn toward the end... I'm still full of regrets. But I hope this entertains you!

Defender of truth, justice, and noontime meals!
Ramiz1989
Profile Joined July 2012
12124 Posts
April 12 2015 15:37 GMT
#269
All of this makes sense for LOTV with LOTV economy, changes to other units as well like Vipers, introducing Lurkers, Ravagers, better Ultralisks and Lings...

But in HOTS? Not so much...
"I've been to hell and back, and back to hell…and back. This time, I've brought Hell back with me."
ohmylanta1003
Profile Joined February 2015
United States128 Posts
April 13 2015 07:03 GMT
#270
On April 10 2015 15:28 opisska wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2015 15:18 starslayer wrote:
On April 10 2015 15:10 opisska wrote:
"Listening to the community" - hooray!!

Do you idiots understand that this is all YOUR FUCKING FAULT? That Blizzard did this only because you stupid whiny bitches who kept spouting nonsense about SH games being "not entertaining" enough for your useless little brains? Great, so now the game gets adapted to your majestic ADHD 5-minute attention span, because the average "fan" can't handle anything that goes on for more than that.

God, this is so stupid. Anything, really ANYTHING interesting Blizzard comes up with is crushed into the ground by this "
"community" of "experts" with "opinions". Everything that is not exactly the same boring shit again and again is either "inbalanced", "bad design" (lol at "design" in general anyway, it's just a buzzword every idiot nowadays uses to sound smart) or "boring" or "bad for the game".

I can't really imagine Blizzard coming up with anything interesting for LoTV. They have been forced to give up on the only really radical change in HoTS, why would they even try anymore? They will probably just make BW in 3D to make the five people who still care about BW (but produce thousands of posts each) happy and everyone will go play a stupid MOBA or an even more stupid card game anyway.

Everything nice gets destroyed by idiots. Real life has broken into SC2. Fuck you all.



LOL someones upset they cant go mass swarmhost anymore. LOL it was boring and bad design and needs to just be removed from the game. Also vipers are really really really good in zvt and zvp try getting more then 2-3 more like 7-9 and figure it out then crying all day i bet you said the same when the infestor got changed come on if you really think that swarmhost was good for the game then theres no hope for you.


Oh God, sorry, I dare to have an opinion that is not approved by the Council of Great Minds of TL, so there is no hope for me!

Yes, I "play" Zerg, but I am a lousy player, I play mostly 2v2 for fun here and there and I very rarely ever built SHs, because they are so fucking difficult to use correctly! (Surprising, heh? You probably heard a tousand times how they are noob simple easytowin unit and thus think it's true because that's what you sheeps do.) But you apparently know me better then I do, so this is all just made up!

You know what I do a lot? I watch the fucking game! And I happened to love watching long complex SH games in particular. Yes, they are not "dynamic" enough, because they take more time than taking a shit and that's about how long the average "sc2 fan" is able to keep his eyes open between his weed and his booze apparently. But they are awesome, it's like a TV series when people gradually come up with ways to combat the SH and have to actually make difficult decisions. The super-late-game with bases mined out, where there are no build orders, no thousand-times-practices situations and just split decisions and difficult questions, that's the most intruiging part of the whole thing. Not clicking fanatically to do the same rush for the milionth time - THAT's boring.

And now we have the most interesitng part of the game taken away and every idiot celebrates. What a day to be alive!




Honestly, I agree with everything you've said in your posts. I don't know why I quoted this one, but I just wanted to tell you that I back what you've been saying. I really do hate the community that this game has developed. Also, you'll notice that the SC2 castors LOVE the long as shit games. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
SuperYo1000
Profile Joined July 2008
United States880 Posts
April 13 2015 07:35 GMT
#271
On April 12 2015 23:23 Lunchador wrote:
The new swarm host is ah, um... underwhelming? Fills you with regret for making them now? Makes you question the meaning of life? I thought their new functionality seemed pretty cool on paper, but it's really, really hard to justify their cost vs what they are capable of, especially when an attack is inbound and your locusts are on cooldown. Worst feeling ever.

This is a ladder team game with my friends where I personally witness their new "prowess". Granted, in hindsight there actually are better ways to control them as I learn toward the end... I'm still full of regrets. But I hope this entertains you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_7-R52vOI



there not as bad as you might think. You just need to baby sit them more. Of course they are going to get crushed if you send 10 swarm host worth of locust at an entire army. I dont understand what you expect them to do. Near the end you did use them correctly and broke the mini siege tank line. They are just tactical now instead of "lemme build swarm host then I can macro for 5 minutes until the enemy can mount some sort of counter
kiLen
Profile Joined April 2011
Finland97 Posts
April 13 2015 08:03 GMT
#272
On April 13 2015 16:35 SuperYo1000 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2015 23:23 Lunchador wrote:
The new swarm host is ah, um... underwhelming? Fills you with regret for making them now? Makes you question the meaning of life? I thought their new functionality seemed pretty cool on paper, but it's really, really hard to justify their cost vs what they are capable of, especially when an attack is inbound and your locusts are on cooldown. Worst feeling ever.

This is a ladder team game with my friends where I personally witness their new "prowess". Granted, in hindsight there actually are better ways to control them as I learn toward the end... I'm still full of regrets. But I hope this entertains you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_7-R52vOI



there not as bad as you might think. You just need to baby sit them more. Of course they are going to get crushed if you send 10 swarm host worth of locust at an entire army. I dont understand what you expect them to do. Near the end you did use them correctly and broke the mini siege tank line. They are just tactical now instead of "lemme build swarm host then I can macro for 5 minutes until the enemy can mount some sort of counter


And how do you expect zergs to justify using 2000 gas for harass units? You should replace the word tactical with horrible vs everything that does not contain anti air or aoe damage. In the current state of the game where zerg needed to use swarm hosts as a tool which allowed them to actually play longer games without going into 4 base broodlord all ins or 3 base roach hydra all ins.
The 100/200 and 4 supply for the new swarm hosts is not going to help much versus a turtling mech army or skytoss with templars. Maybe if they decrease cost to 100/175-150 and supply to 3 it might be a viable unit to use for harassment but as it stands should zerg really dedicate that much gas and supply for harassment ONCE EVERY MINUTE?
LotV HyPe
eCakes
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia32 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-13 08:34:57
April 13 2015 08:16 GMT
#273
I think a good compromise would be to give Neural Parasite a buff back to it's former effectiveness. Make the range longer again and make it either cheaper or cast-able from burrow. I always had fun using it back when it was actually worthwhile...

edit: for the record I welcome the change, I'm over swarm hosts and not fussed on the change or not. Just sick of using mutas in everything
Unexplained Bacon
sibs
Profile Joined July 2012
635 Posts
April 13 2015 11:12 GMT
#274
Protoss is going to dominate GSL/SSL so hard, maybe Maru can do something well see.
polpot
Profile Joined April 2012
3002 Posts
April 13 2015 11:59 GMT
#275
I am already missing the old SwarmHost, it was the only siege tool the zerg has, the new SwarmHost is more gimmicky.
RaFox17
Profile Joined May 2013
Finland4581 Posts
April 13 2015 12:18 GMT
#276
On April 13 2015 20:12 sibs wrote:
Protoss is going to dominate GSL/SSL so hard, maybe Maru can do something well see.

How did this patch effect PvT?? How often does PDD come to play?? It´s still great when the attack happen.
KOtical
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany451 Posts
April 13 2015 12:41 GMT
#277
On April 13 2015 21:18 RaFox17 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2015 20:12 sibs wrote:
Protoss is going to dominate GSL/SSL so hard, maybe Maru can do something well see.

How did this patch effect PvT?? How often does PDD come to play?? It´s still great when the attack happen.


this patch doesnt effect any PvT. But TvZ and PvZ, so if zergs dyin ZvT and PvZ, we will likely see more TvP... so it does affect tournaments...

NEEDZMOAR
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Sweden1277 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-04-13 12:48:48
April 13 2015 12:45 GMT
#278
the new Swarm Host changes are scary as fuck to say the least, for Zerg-players that is of course. How Zerg will be able to compete in the lategame (or even get to the lategame) vs any protoss capable of scouting beats me.

Its funny(read disheartening) though how everyone was so invested into hating on the bandaid-solution (Swarmhosts) Instead of the cause (Insane, unbreakable deathballs. Zergs horrible anti-air and late-midgame cost efficiency vs P and mech. the failure that is the design of Protoss with the forcefields, hardcounters and deathballs as well as basically useless gateway units and last but not least, warpgate tech)...
But hey at least some of these things will be adressed in LotV.

Now that Swarm hosts are gone, I dont see any reason as to why every single T shouldnt play TvZ like Happy does it (only better and less throwing) since its almost a "free win" once you establish your mech army on 4 bases. Nor do I see any reason for Protoss not to play every game out like CJ herO would.

I understand how incredibly salty I come off as, but its hard to be sunshine and lollipops when your race just took a giant dump to the face.

Disclaimer: I dislike stale lategames as much as the next guy but removing the only way zerg can deal with a proper turtle mech or proper turtleprotoss is not the right way to deal with this issue.

Edit: am I a guardian or a lurker now?
ohmylanta1003
Profile Joined February 2015
United States128 Posts
April 13 2015 13:39 GMT
#279
On April 13 2015 17:16 eCakes wrote:
I think a good compromise would be to give Neural Parasite a buff back to it's former effectiveness. Make the range longer again and make it either cheaper or cast-able from burrow. I always had fun using it back when it was actually worthwhile...

edit: for the record I welcome the change, I'm over swarm hosts and not fussed on the change or not. Just sick of using mutas in everything


I believe they are changing neural parasite in LOTV, but I know that's not what you're looking for...:-(
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
April 13 2015 13:46 GMT
#280
On April 12 2015 00:22 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2015 00:18 Sioras wrote:
The cost is just way too much, zerg doesnt have anything vs storms anymore, We are basicly a Terran with no ghosts, so fucking stupid, only thing viable for us to do is just muta switches, and that will become so predictable after like a week, or just a "Brood lord all in" as avilo says, it's basicly an all in cause they get 6 tempest out, the game is over, no other way, so dumb....


zerg never had anything against storm...
look at BW lol


zerg had imba defilers. cannot compare (don't think you can say vipers count as was awkward to build protoss units with feedback into standard army comp back then (dark archon only?))

although this change may suck for zergs right now, i think it's important for the future of sc2 to patch the mass-swarmhost styles out of existence then re-balance other zerg units around what is left. (although I am biased as it was the mass-swarmhost styles that caused me to take a several month break from this game)
Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 169
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 665
Horang2 570
Bisu 504
soO 406
Hyuk 398
Larva 365
ZerO 180
Zeus 89
EffOrt 70
Killer 64
[ Show more ]
Shinee 55
Mind 38
Rush 26
Bale 25
PianO 24
Mong 24
Stork 24
ToSsGirL 15
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 14
ZergMaN 12
HiyA 9
Dota 2
XaKoH 740
XcaliburYe299
Counter-Strike
byalli778
Other Games
singsing1240
olofmeister1093
ceh9692
crisheroes206
Livibee175
Mew2King65
ArmadaUGS54
ZerO(Twitch)6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH357
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2295
League of Legends
• Jankos1885
• Stunt385
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
33m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 33m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.