• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:14
CEST 07:14
KST 14:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8117 users

Oz and Revival Interviews: Road to IEM Katowice - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
54 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 All
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27415 Posts
March 10 2014 23:10 GMT
#41
Oz still sticking to his guns on PvP, gotta love it
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 10 2014 23:15 GMT
#42
On March 11 2014 07:32 LimeNade wrote:
lol all these players with defeatist mentalities of worrying about not making money if not coming in first. No one is forcing them to attend this tournament and I can guarantee you a player like Jaedong who is entering into the tourney only cares about getting that 1st place finish with little regards to the prize structure.


If that kind of thinking harmed their performance, these players wouldn't even be in Esports. I'm pretty sure Jaedong and MC are the only players attending the grand finals that have earned enough money to even justify their careers.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 10 2014 23:21 GMT
#43
On March 11 2014 08:15 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 07:32 LimeNade wrote:
lol all these players with defeatist mentalities of worrying about not making money if not coming in first. No one is forcing them to attend this tournament and I can guarantee you a player like Jaedong who is entering into the tourney only cares about getting that 1st place finish with little regards to the prize structure.


If that kind of thinking harmed their performance, these players wouldn't even be in Esports. I'm pretty sure Jaedong and MC are the only players attending the grand finals that have earned enough money to even justify their careers.

Eh I disagree with that. Polt/HerO/Leenock have all made over 200k from tournament winnings in about three years of playing careers, which isn't a bad income at all. Taeja is also close to the 200k mark from tournaments. Naniwa is over 150k from tournaments. I think that amount of money makes it worth it, keeping in mind that those numbers do not include salaries from teams and the like.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 10 2014 23:58 GMT
#44
On March 11 2014 08:21 Darkhorse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 08:15 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On March 11 2014 07:32 LimeNade wrote:
lol all these players with defeatist mentalities of worrying about not making money if not coming in first. No one is forcing them to attend this tournament and I can guarantee you a player like Jaedong who is entering into the tourney only cares about getting that 1st place finish with little regards to the prize structure.


If that kind of thinking harmed their performance, these players wouldn't even be in Esports. I'm pretty sure Jaedong and MC are the only players attending the grand finals that have earned enough money to even justify their careers.

Eh I disagree with that. Polt/HerO/Leenock have all made over 200k from tournament winnings in about three years of playing careers, which isn't a bad income at all. Taeja is also close to the 200k mark from tournaments. Naniwa is over 150k from tournaments. I think that amount of money makes it worth it, keeping in mind that those numbers do not include salaries from teams and the like.

Huh, that's true. Guess I'd forgotten a lot of the qualified list. That is an unusually high number of the top earners, though.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
1015Fan
Profile Joined November 2010
United States86 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 01:24:21
March 11 2014 00:43 GMT
#45
On March 11 2014 07:29 shabby wrote:
"Some players like MC and PartinG actually reacted positively. Do you think players as a whole didn't like the choice?
I don't know, I think it depends on the individual."


Lol that's because they both think they're gonna win it. And MC probably has a high chance, historically speaking :D


Parting also has a high chance, with recent skill level speaking :D (Unless he didn't qualify, havent checked about player pool)

This IEM tourney reminds me a lot about the whole winner's mentality thing. As a player, I've always thought that any time you play in any tournament, your goal should be to win, period. Players such as Naniwa and MVP(and Parting and MC ofc) seem to have this mentality, from what I've read in interviews.

MVP was asked something like "How did you win/keep winning" and responded "I don't know, I think I am just a winner."
Naniwa was asked the generic "Where do you think you will place/How high are you aiming for in *some old* tourney?" Naniwa said something along the lines of "Of course I am aiming to win the tourney, that is how a true player will answer every time."

I've never quite liked it when a player answers "Oh its a tough tourney, I'm aiming for ro8 or ro4 and I'll be happy." Just didn't seem like a great players mentality if you doubt your abilities.

However, this tourney is the first one that really forces those people who talk the talk to try and walk the walk, so it'll be very interesting to watch.
Waise
Profile Joined June 2013
3165 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 01:11:18
March 11 2014 01:02 GMT
#46
On March 11 2014 09:43 1015Fan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 07:29 shabby wrote:
"Some players like MC and PartinG actually reacted positively. Do you think players as a whole didn't like the choice?
I don't know, I think it depends on the individual."


Lol that's because they both think they're gonna win it. And MC probably has a high chance, historically speaking :D


Parting also has a high chance, with recent skill level speaking :D

This IEM tourney reminds me a lot about the whole winner's mentality thing. As a player, I've always thought that any time you play in any tournament, your goal should be to win, period. Players such as Naniwa and MVP(and Parting and MC ofc) seem to have this mentality, from what I've read in interviews.

MVP was asked something like "How did you win/keep winning" and responded "I don't know, I think I am just a winner."
Naniwa was asked the generic "Where do you think you will place/How high are you aiming for in *some old* tourney?" Naniwa said something along the lines of "Of course I am aiming to win the tourney, that is how a true player will answer every time."

I've never quite liked it when a player answers "Oh its a tough tourney, I'm aiming for ro8 or ro4 and I'll be happy." Just didn't seem like a great players mentality if you doubt your abilities.

However, this tourney is the first one that really forces those people who talk the talk to try and walk the walk, so it'll be very interesting to watch.

it sounds like you're putting too much of a correlation on a player's answers to interview questions and their actual mindset/composition while playing the game. of course every single player's goal is to win. having a realistic opinion about the strength of your competition doesn't mean you're afraid or mentally unprepared. in fact, not being able to identify that you're going up against a lot of really strong opponents could make you more likely to lose

saying "i'd be happy with ro8" doesn't mean "well, i don't have the confidence to beat 7 of these players, i give up." what you're asking for isn't real "confidence," it's just lip service to fans who want to create a narrative about a player's fighting spirit

and concerns about the prize pool actually have nothing to do with "oh, i'm really afraid i won't be able to take the top prize" and everything to do with "oh, being a professional computer gamer isn't actually very lucrative, so if i invest a lot in training and travel for a tournament and gain absolutely nothing i might not be able to continue with gaming". conveniently enough, revival LITERALLY said this in the interview in the OP...

winner's mentality is a real thing IMO, sure, but it's more like "winners are a little less likely to choke out in high-pressure situations or make stupid mistakes" and not so much "naniwa wanted to win 0.03% more than revival did, he had the burning passion!". if any of the players going to IEM weren't winners they wouldn't be going to IEM
Predguin
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada188 Posts
March 11 2014 01:09 GMT
#47
I always thought Oz would make a great Liquid player. I hope he finds a team soon ;_;
DBS
Profile Joined July 2012
515 Posts
March 11 2014 01:23 GMT
#48
LiquidOz confirmed
"a pitchfork is for hay. a trident is for killing bitches." -djwheat
thirtyapm
Profile Joined January 2012
521 Posts
March 11 2014 01:53 GMT
#49
fkn awesome interview, thanks guys
Xinzoe
Profile Joined January 2014
Korea (South)2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 03:02:24
March 11 2014 03:00 GMT
#50
HerO should just drop out of the tournament. He has the potential to win the whole thing, but he's too prone to mental breakdowns. After seeing his facebook status from losing WCS AM Ro32, this tournament isn't right for him. -_-

https://www.facebook.com/hyeondeok.song.3/posts/607769035974325?stream_ref=10
Chvol
Profile Joined August 2010
United States200 Posts
March 11 2014 03:24 GMT
#51
They say it's winner take all, but second place gets 800 WCS points. That's not so shabby.
Destructicon
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
4713 Posts
March 11 2014 09:29 GMT
#52
Nice interviews, I kind of loved Oz's reaction to the PvP curse part but also his rationalization on how to make the BO war work for you, to bad he jinxed himself again.

Also, damn, IM literally saving eSports.
WriterNever give up, never surrender! https://www.youtube.com/user/DestructiconSC
Hadronsbecrazy
Profile Joined September 2013
United Kingdom551 Posts
March 11 2014 11:02 GMT
#53
LiquidOz PLS
No need Build Orders, Only Micro,Favourite Players: Maru, Zest, soOjwa , CJherO
iEatWoofers
Profile Joined August 2011
Switzerland108 Posts
March 11 2014 11:28 GMT
#54
Great interviews! (Really good translation too!)

I really hope Oz finds a good team soon. Seems like a really nice guy.

I wish them both luck in Katowice, especially since they seem like underdogs. How sick would it be if one of them won against someone like Parting in the finals? :D
Gene(S)is
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden419 Posts
March 12 2014 17:32 GMT
#55
well conducted interviews, I had a pleasent read
For the swarm
Prev 1 2 3 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft384
RuFF_SC2 187
-ZergGirl 108
Nina 98
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2065
sorry 44
910 31
Bale 24
NotJumperer 16
yabsab 11
ZergMaN 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 770
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1105
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox830
Mew2King3
Other Games
summit1g6882
WinterStarcraft354
C9.Mang0271
Livibee154
Sick134
Maynarde130
ArmadaUGS31
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick653
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream175
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2255
League of Legends
• Stunt422
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 46m
Stellar Fest
7h 46m
The PondCast
1d 4h
OSC
1d 7h
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
OSC
1d 18h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.