• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:26
CEST 02:26
KST 09:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10068 users

Oz and Revival Interviews: Road to IEM Katowice

Forum Index > SC2 General
54 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 15:40:57
March 10 2014 11:10 GMT
#1

IEM World Championship 2014: Pre-tournament Interviews

Oz and Revival — MaNa and Nerchio — StarDust and San — jjakji and TaeJa
IEM STUFF

IEM Season 8
World Championship



Detailed information on Liquipedia

The $100,000 Dollar Men:
Revival and Oz

Interviews by Waxangel

On March 13th, some of the best StarCraft 2 players in the world will gather in Katowice, Poland for a shot at winning the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship and its $100,000 grand prize. Not just the grand prize, but only prize.

IEM's decision to make the World Championship winner-take-all has been controversial, with some fans eagerly anticipating the heightened stakes, and other fans angered by the inequitable distribution of prizes.

But what do the players think? We begin our pre-Katowice interview series with two ex-Evil Geniuses players in (Z)Revival and (P)Oz.

Interviews have been edited and condensed.

CMStorm_Revival

"If I get second place at IEM Katowice, I'm only half kidding when I say I might never be able to play again?"

We haven't seen much of you since the WCS Global Finals last year. How have you been?
I left Evil Geniuses after BlizzCon, so I was busy looking for a new team. Of course, I practiced a lot while I was looking.

Was it tough practicing while you didn't have a team? How's your skill level ahead of IEM Katowice?
Since I was playing by myself without anyone to direct me, I was really able to feel myself getting lazy. Lately I've gotten myself back in gear and have been practicing hard. I'm nervous ahead of a big tournament like IEM, and I'm also nervous because I haven't been to a foreign tournament in a while. Still, if I can keep practicing like I am now, I think I'm capable of going all the way to the championship, though it will be difficult.

[image loading]
You're qualified for the IEM World Championship because you took first place at IEM Shanghai, a tourney that took place quite a while ago. How did you feel when you heard that the World Championship would be winner-take-all for $100,000?
I don't think the format of giving all the prize money to the winner is that good. I mean, it's true that people only remember the champion, but shouldn't second place get a bit of prize money, too? I think most progamers would agree with me. It's too much of a difference.

How do you think you'd feel if you came in second?
Well, the prize difference between first and second is big in the GSL as well, and I've always thought that the GSL runner up must feel sad.

If I get second place at IEM Katowice, I'm only half kidding when I say I might never be able to play again?

You joined CMStorm recently. How'd that come about?
CMStorm contacted me first, but I declined to join on the conditions they offered initially. But they kept contacting me and tried to offer me conditions that were the best for me. In addition, the manager treated me very well, so I decided to join.

Along with aLive and Oz, you weren't able to re-sign with Evil Geniuses despite getting pretty good results. What did you think when that happened?
Personally, I expected that since I won a championship and took second place in another tournament (WCS America Season 1), re-signing would go smoothly. However, the conditions I was offered were so bad that I just declined and left the team. I always try to think about the position of the person on the other side, and I fully understood EG's position as well. I achieved good results on EG, so I'm thankful to them.

Marketability seems to matter more than skill in the foreign StarCraft 2 scene. Do you plan to promote yourself more on your new team?
Honestly, I do feel that being a star matters more than skill in the foreign scene. Of course, nothing would be better than to have both qualities.

I'm not sure - from my standpoint I think skill is more important. I have to be skilled to achieve my dreams, and I think being skilled is what will earn me popularity and make a star. Of course, teams and sponsors think skill is important as well, but I think there are a lot of places that put a bigger focus on star power.

There's been a lot of talk about Protoss being OP lately. With so many Protoss players competing at IEM, what do you think about your chances against them?
Protoss has been nerfed to some degree lately, and Hydras have got a little bit better. Even so, I still I think Protoss is strong.

It's a relief that vs. Protoss has become a lot more playable than before. I'm confident.

Any players you are worried about or would want to avoid?
I think everyone is a difficult opponent and a good player. If I had to pick, I'd say all of the Protoss players will be tough opponents.

This will be the first European tournament you compete at. Anything you want to do outside of the tournament?
I've really wanted to go to Europe in the past but I haven't been able to, only going to the USA a lot. I've always wanted to go to countries like Spain, France, Germany, etc. and just walk around the streets and see the architecture, try the food, and feel the local culture. Of course, I'm excited to be able to go Poland now.

Will we see you at many more foreign tournaments now that you've joined CMStorm?
Yes, I plan to go to a lot foreign tournaments. I'm starving for a championship, so I want to go to a lot of tournaments and win high placements.

Anything you want to say to conclude?
I want to play games I won't regret at IEM. Even if I lose, I want to do my best so I don't have any regrets. Also, thanks to CMStorm for supporting me, and thanks to everyone who cheers for me!


You can follow Revival @CMStormRevival


Oz

"I hoped that if we were all on one team, it would be more of a family atmosphere. I think that was kind of lacking. As if we had just signed contracts, obeyed the conditions of the contract, and were two separate entities outside that."

We've barely seen you since the WCS Season 3 Finals in Canada. What have you been up to?
It feels like I've been forgotten ever since I couldn't re-sign with EG and ended up teamless.

As always, I've been practicing hard. As soon as I left EG, Incredible Miracle head coach Hirai took care of me and allowed me to stay at the IM house and practice there. Though I don't have a team, I've continued on with the same kind of lifestyle.

So you'll be in good condition for the IEM World Championship?
Yes, I've been keeping up with my practice and been living the same way as other players, so it shouldn't be any different from other tournaments I've played at.

[image loading]
Were you looking this far ahead when you took second place at IEM Shanghai? How did you feel when it was announced that the $100,000 prize would go solely to the winner?
I think that was my first IEM tournament, I just learned later that I'd have a chance to compete at the World Championship.

One day I woke up and HerO was telling me "Hyung, the IEM prize money is $100,000. They're only giving prize money to the winner." I thought he was joking for sure.

I was surprised, and I thought it was pretty bad for the players. Players practice so hard for a single tournament, and I felt negatively about only one player being rewarded for his effort. However, it does have some merit in terms of drawing interest as an esport. It just feels kind of disappointing for the players.

Some players like MC and PartinG actually reacted positively. Do you think players as a whole didn't like the choice?
I don't know, I think it depends on the individual.

You've taken second place in two tournaments in the past. How would you feel if you took second place at IEM?
Players joke around about IEM, saying that the runner-up is going to have to retire. That he would take that much mental damage.

If I took second place, I think it would be really tough on me. In other tournaments, the runner-up gets encouragement. People say "You were so close!" or "Good games, you played well." If ended up taking second place at IEM, I think I'd prefer if no one said anything to me at all and just left me alone, lol.

There's a lot of Protoss players competing at IEM. How do you feel about your PvP?
I've never lacked confidence in PvP. Even if I lose in practice, things seem to work out well for me in tournaments. I'm looking forward to this tournament because there's a lot of Protoss players and few Zergs.

Did the recent balance patch change the game a lot?
I think it was a terrible patch. Because of the MSC vision nerf, Protoss lost their way to scout Terran in TvP. Robotics facility has become a must, mines have become too strong against Zealots, and Protoss has been forced into making colossi. Lately, everyone has been using blink stalkers and colossi, and I think you'll see the Protoss players play very similarly to each other in the tournament. It wasn't wrong to nerf Protoss, but I'm disappointed in the way Protoss was nerfed.

There's a joke on TeamLiquid.net that originates from you. You once said "PvP is not a coin flip, it's about skill," and your record immediately got worse afterward. Ever since then we've noticed a pattern of players who say PvP is a skill game instantly getting worse. What do you think about that?
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

It's not a complete rock-scissor-paper relationship, but build order fights play a big part. It's true that if you're on the wrong end of the build order fight, then a gap opens up. In PvP, I think the most important thing is playing mind games with your opponent, and winning the build order fight.

Even in PvT or PvZ, where the flow of the game can go back and forth regardless of your starting build, the build you choose first is still very important. That's why I think it's correct to look at the ability to choose builds as skill. Knowing how a player likes to play, how he likes to follow-up certain plays, watching VODs to analyze all of that and tailor builds accordingly - I think all of that is skill.

I guess now that I've said PvP is a matter of skill, I'll lose if I face a Protoss at IEM.

You teamed up with a manager lately. How's the process of finding a team going?
After I became teamless, I wanted to find a new team quickly so I looked around and met with a lot of teams. However, none of the teams gave me the feeling that they really needed me.

As a part of big teams like Evil Geniuses or Fnatic in the past, I always got this feeling, how to put it... Obviously the players and the coaching staff had come together for business reasons, but I hoped that if we were all on one team, it would be more of a family atmosphere. I think that was kind of lacking. As if we had just signed contracts, obeyed the conditions of the contract, and were two separate entities outside that.

I was a bit disappointed in that, so this time around I want to look for a team that really wants me and is like a family, regardless of the size. So I'm going about looking for a new team very carefully.

Okay, any final comments ahead of IEM?
I haven't competed at many tournaments and have been without a team, so I haven't had many chances to talk to the fans. Starting with IEM, and WCS after that, I want to put on my best face for the fans. Also, I think there might be good news about finding a team.

Playing as a teamless player I've felt the need to interact with the fans, so I'm planning on streaming. Instead of just laddering like other players, I want to try and plan a stream where I can interact with my fans. So please keep cheering for me!


You can follow Oz @SC2Oz

Interviews: Waxangel
Photos: ESL
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Aeromi
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
France14463 Posts
March 10 2014 11:15 GMT
#2
Great interviews.
https://twitter.com/DrAeromi | Updates on live tournaments: @StarCrafteSport
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 10 2014 11:21 GMT
#3
Haha Wax you cursed his PvP again!
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
March 10 2014 11:22 GMT
#4
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

nooo Oz why?!!?!
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Fishriot
Profile Joined May 2010
United States621 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-10 11:24:35
March 10 2014 11:23 GMT
#5
Thanks for the interviews Waxangel. Oz seems so fucking cool. I was a bit worried about him, seeing as he is still teamless, but I'm glad to hear that it seems like he is comfortable at the IM house for the time being.
NovaMB
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany9534 Posts
March 10 2014 11:27 GMT
#6
Imagine if those 2 meet in the finals. It would be the best finals ever.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 10 2014 11:28 GMT
#7
On March 10 2014 20:22 Shellshock wrote:
Show nested quote +
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

nooo Oz why?!!?!



Also why do you have a Startale flair
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Shellshock
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States97277 Posts
March 10 2014 11:29 GMT
#8
On March 10 2014 20:28 Darkhorse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2014 20:22 Shellshock wrote:
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

nooo Oz why?!!?!



Also why do you have a Startale flair

Why not? I like Curious
Moderatorhttp://i.imgur.com/U4xwqmD.png
TL+ Member
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 10 2014 11:34 GMT
#9
On March 10 2014 20:29 Shellshock wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2014 20:28 Darkhorse wrote:
On March 10 2014 20:22 Shellshock wrote:
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

nooo Oz why?!!?!



Also why do you have a Startale flair

Why not? I like Curious

Cool yo

Back on topic I like Revival's comments about the idea of Skill or marketability making a star.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Battousai13
Profile Joined September 2010
United States638 Posts
March 10 2014 11:57 GMT
#10
From the way he phrased things, Liquid'Oz would be the most ideal situation for the Protoss player. I do wonder if Liquid is in any capacity to acquire more players.
Larkin
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United Kingdom7161 Posts
March 10 2014 12:05 GMT
#11
Oz looking for a family atmosphere... LiquidOz incoming
https://www.twitch.tv/ttalarkin - streams random stuff, high level teamleague, maybe even heroleague
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
March 10 2014 12:23 GMT
#12
good interviews actually, thats not very common
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
LimitSEA
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia9580 Posts
March 10 2014 12:29 GMT
#13
IMOz please. That would be very nice.
Long live the King of Wings
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
March 10 2014 12:41 GMT
#14
Oz is a great player, really want to see more of him.
Liked him a lot before he joined eg
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
MirageTaN
Profile Joined June 2012
Singapore871 Posts
March 10 2014 13:26 GMT
#15
I wonder why Liquid won't pick up Oz . He is a great player and yearns for a family atmosphere plus he has all the qualities of a Liquid player
#TLWIN TI7, TLDota BEST TL
Elite_
Profile Joined June 2012
United States4259 Posts
March 10 2014 14:09 GMT
#16
On March 10 2014 20:27 NovaMB wrote:
Imagine if those 2 meet in the finals. It would be the best finals ever.

It would almost be as good as the IEM Shanghai fina- Oh wait.
teddyoojo
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Germany22369 Posts
March 10 2014 14:35 GMT
#17
On March 10 2014 20:28 Darkhorse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 10 2014 20:22 Shellshock wrote:
LOL. I haven't stopped thinking that PvP is about skill.

nooo Oz why?!!?!



Also why do you have a Startale flair

WTF NO
Esports historian since 2000. Creator of 'The Universe' and 'The best scrambled Eggs 2013'. Host of 'Star Wars Marathon 2015'. Thinker of 'teddyoojo's Thoughts'. Earths and Moons leading CS:GO expert. Lord of the Rings.
insitelol
Profile Joined August 2012
845 Posts
March 10 2014 15:17 GMT
#18
Yes. That's true. Oz suits Liquid and vice versa
Less is more.
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
March 10 2014 15:18 GMT
#19
Oz is a family man, nice
jjakji fan
Gemini_19
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1261 Posts
March 10 2014 15:19 GMT
#20
so this time around I want to look for a team that really wants me and is like a family, regardless of the size


Liquid pls
@GGemini19 GM Protoss | http://www.twitch.tv/geminisc2 | I <333 HerO & Trap | Check out my Build of the Week series on /r/allthingsprotoss, TL, or Spawning Tool
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft336
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft336
ViBE140
CosmosSc2 56
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1940
Artosis 589
Shuttle 541
910 35
Dota 2
monkeys_forever675
Counter-Strike
minikerr15
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox502
Other Games
summit1g7981
shahzam608
JimRising 579
C9.Mang0262
Maynarde129
ArmadaUGS64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick911
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream147
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 102
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen117
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
10h 34m
Stellar Fest
12h 34m
The PondCast
1d 9h
OSC
1d 12h
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
OSC
1d 23h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.