• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:46
CEST 17:46
KST 00:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10458 users

jjakji and TaeJa interviews: Road to IEM Katowice

Forum Index > SC2 General
69 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 14:55:21
March 13 2014 14:43 GMT
#1

IEM World Championship 2014: Pre-tournament Interviews

Oz and Revival — MaNa and Nerchio — StarDust and San — jjakji and TaeJa
IEM STUFF

IEM Season 8
World Championship


Countdown:

Detailed information on Liquipedia

$100,000 Dollar Men
jjakji and TaeJa

Interviews by Waxangel

On March 13th, some of the best StarCraft 2 players in the world will gather in Katowice, Poland for a shot at winning the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship and its $100,000 grand prize. Not just the grand prize, but only prize.

IEM's decision to make the World Championship winner-take-all has been controversial, with some fans eagerly anticipating the heightened stakes, and other fans angered by the inequitable distribution of prizes.

But what do the players think? We asked two of the Terran players competing in the main bracket, (T)mYi.jjakji and (T)Liquid`TaeJa, for their thoughts.

Interviews have been edited and condensed.

mYi.jjakji

"When I won the GSL it was during a period where Terran was strong, so my championship was under-appreciated. That fact has always stayed in my head, so I think this period where Terran is weak is actually an opportunity for me."


How are you feeling ahead of IEM?
I got back from SeatStory Cup a few days ago, which only gave me about two days time before leaving to IEM. So instead of practicing, I've focused on getting rest and watching VODs. I think I'm at a level where I can win the tournament, and my physical condition should be good as well due to getting rest.

A lot of the players at SSC thought you would win the entire tournament. Where did things go wrong?
My skill level and condition were alright so I went to the tournament thinking that I had the highest chance to win as well.

When I played HyuN in the semifinals, I lost in our first game which took an hour and 20 minutes. More than mentally, it taxed me a lot physically. Also, because HyuN's style is so unique, a lot of situations I hadn't encountered in practice came out, and I reacted to them very poorly.

It was a tournament that I had been confident going into, but losing 0-3 in the semis took a big toll on me. I had to play the 3rd/4th place match in that state, so it affected my play a lot.

[image loading]
You qualified for IEM at a time when Terrans were really struggling. The recent balance patch has made it easier to play against Protoss; are you confident against Protoss in this tournament?
Yes, of the three things that were patched, two affected TvP. So MSC blink-stalker rushes are less common than before etc. I think now the better player wins in TvP.

I think my TvP is some of the best among all Terran players, so I'm confident. However, when I played at IEM Sao Paulo and IEM Cologne, I lost consecutively to Protoss players, so I did end up feeling that tournament games are different from practice.

When I won the GSL it was during a period where Terran was strong, so my championship was under-appreciated. That fact has always stayed in my head, so I think this period where Terran is weak is actually an opportunity for me.

This is probably the biggest tournament you've played in since then. Are you nervous about it?
I think I can play up to the semifinals without being very nervous, but after that the difference between $100,000 and $0 is probably going to make me very nervous, lol.

What do you think about that format? The GSL has a big gap between #1 and #2, but IEM is another story altogether.
I've talked to some pros about it, not all of them, but I don't think there's a single player out there who thinks it's good from a player's perspective. For the fans, I think it will be a very entertaining tournament. The format for this year is set, but I hope that next time they go back to their old format.

To bring up something a bit dated, you faced off against Leenock, your old GSL finals opponent, in the Ro8 of HomeStory Cup last year. How was it facing him again?
Well, I had the experience of beating him on a big stage, and at that time Leenock's form wasn't that good, so I felt that I would be able to win.

He's playing in the open bracket at IEM as well. What if you played him again?
He has a unique style so I think there will be some fun games, but of course I will win.

If you win IEM Katowice, it would be the second time in your career where you earn a ton of money at once. Any thoughts on where you'd spend it?
I haven't thought about it yet, it would be like counting your chickens before they hatch. I think most of the money I make before I go to the military I will save, and buy nice meals for the people I know.

Anyone at the tournament you are worried about or would like to avoid?
Looking at the list of players there's no one who's particularly difficult or I would like to avoid. I would like to meet players I've lost to in previous tournaments and get revenge on them, players like HyuN or Life.

Other players would lose confidence after a string of disappointing results. How do you manage to maintain your confidence?
I tend to get discouraged if I don't get the results I expected in tournaments, but I'm also the kind of person who forgets about it after a good night's sleep.

Alright, any final comments?
This is kind of out of nowhere - I planned to mention this in an interview after winning SSC.

On the train from the mYi house to Germany, there was a fan who recognized us so I took a picture with him and signed an autograph. As we were talking to him we came into our station, and we told him we were going to go to our hotel and have dinner. Suddenly, he told us that he wanted to pay for us and handed us 50 euros. Thanks to him we were able to have a tasty dinner, and I'm really thankful for that. It was also a new experience for me.

Even though I couldn't mention him in the champion's interview at SSC, I want to use this opportunity to say thank you Philip!

Also, I don't know if they'll see this interview, but I want to thank my girlfriend and family who are always on my side, and tell them I love them.


You can follow jjakji at:
Twitter: @mYiJJAKJI
Stream: my45900


Liquid`TaeJa


You're one of the two invited players at IEM Katowice alongside sOs. How do you feel about getting invited?
I've never competed in an IEM before, so I'm glad I'm getting such a nice chance.

You're the king of $10,000 tournaments. Now you have a chance to make $100,000. Does that change the way you approach this tournament?
No, it doesn't change it. I just want to take first place because that's the only placement that has prize money.

[image loading]
photo: 7mk
There's a lot of talk around that format. What do you think about it personally?
I think second place will suffer a big blow.

So you want a better distribution?
Yes.

Some people are worried about your form or your mentality these days. What do you think?
I don't think I'm playing as well as I was before. Still, I'm trying to work hard.

What are your chances of winning then?

1 hour later

Are you alive?

20 minutes later

I think it's possible as long as I don't meet a Protoss in the early rounds.

Other players are doing pretty good in TvP due to the mine changes. It's still hard for you then?
TvP does happen to be easier than TvZ. However, because the common opinion is that TvP is hard, it ends up feeling hard to me as well. I think it will be okay to face a Protoss player.

San says you're one of the championship candidates for this tournament. Your thoughts?
The reason San says he can't win is because he actually does think he can win.

So who do you think are the top candidates to win? San?
And Life.

And you?
I don't know, I get nervous when I play these days.

So humble! Other players like PartinG and Life seem to get arrogant when they win. What do you think about that kind of attitude?

90 minutes later

It's good that they can be confident.

Good as in you're envious?
Yes

Ugh, GG. Let's just wrap. Anything you want to say to end?
I'll practice hard and try to win as many tournaments as I can in 2014.


You can follow San TaeJa at:
Twitter: @LiquidTaeJa
Stream: LiquidTaeJa



Interviews: Waxangel
Photos: 7mk, ESL
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 13 2014 14:44 GMT
#2
Jjakji's interview was great! Taeja's interview was a Taeja interview.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
YourGoodFriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2197 Posts
March 13 2014 14:52 GMT
#3
You can follow San at:
Twitter: @LiquidTaeJa
Stream: LiquidTaeJa



hahahaha
anonymous is the most famous author that anyone can be
RatzBarcode
Profile Joined December 2013
United States98 Posts
March 13 2014 14:53 GMT
#4
Taeja so unconfident he went to ladder in between questions.
SC2Toastie
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
Netherlands5725 Posts
March 13 2014 14:54 GMT
#5
On March 13 2014 23:44 Darkhorse wrote:
Jjakji's interview was great! Taeja's interview was a Taeja interview.

Wel worded haha
Mura Ma Man, Dark Da Dude, Super Shot Sos!
MirageTaN
Profile Joined June 2012
Singapore871 Posts
March 13 2014 14:54 GMT
#6
TaeJa's interview........ so classic well Jjakji's was great and TaeJa's was......yeah
#TLWIN TI7, TLDota BEST TL
pradeek
Profile Joined March 2012
India3 Posts
March 13 2014 14:55 GMT
#7

You can follow StarDust at:
Twitter: @mYiJJAKJI
Stream: my45900


and


You can follow San at:
Twitter: @LiquidTaeJa
Stream: LiquidTaeJa


^^
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
March 13 2014 14:55 GMT
#8
Lol
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
partydude89
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
1850 Posts
March 13 2014 14:55 GMT
#9
lol dat taeja interview. i don't know why i expected anything different...
#1 Official Hack Fan|#2 Bomber behind Wintex.|Curious|Life|Flash|TY|Cure|Maru|sOs|Jin Air Green Wings fighting!|SBENU Fighting!|
Kon-Tiki
Profile Joined February 2011
United States402 Posts
March 13 2014 14:56 GMT
#10
Taeja's interview was a thing of beauty! <3 Taeja!
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.
LockeTazeline
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
2390 Posts
March 13 2014 15:01 GMT
#11
Lol Taeja.
corona_0489k
Profile Joined April 2011
United States27 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 15:11:12
March 13 2014 15:10 GMT
#12
Taeja is so awesome he doesnt need to say anything. He knows he's the best and thats all that matters
This is Sparta!!!
Pino
Profile Joined June 2013
1032 Posts
March 13 2014 15:12 GMT
#13
IMO Taeja realized he has a strong opponent in MacSed for worst interviewee, and consequently went all in on that one
Paljas
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6926 Posts
March 13 2014 15:16 GMT
#14
lol, Taeja
also, gg Phillip
TL+ Member
DiMano
Profile Joined July 2011
Korea (South)2066 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 15:20:12
March 13 2014 15:19 GMT
#15
two my favorite terrans from korean weekly and risnig stars now became the most notable terrans in the community I am happy
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18752 Posts
March 13 2014 15:22 GMT
#16
more criticism for the prize money heh
CrazyBirdman
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany3509 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 15:28:42
March 13 2014 15:28 GMT
#17
Taeja interviews never disappoint. Did he ever do one with HotBid?
monsta
Profile Joined November 2012
172 Posts
March 13 2014 15:29 GMT
#18
i am not sure if the Teaja interview was extremly funny or just unmotivated and boring? :/
DroopyFR
Profile Joined August 2011
France138 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-13 15:30:37
March 13 2014 15:30 GMT
#19
Philip is a boss.
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
March 13 2014 15:31 GMT
#20
On March 14 2014 00:22 sharkie wrote:
more criticism for the prize money heh

I don't think there is ever going to be praise for this prize distribution lol. If salaries for the average progamer was high enough to actually live off then it would be a hell of a lot less ridiculous
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech161
Codebar 34
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1146
Mini 921
Soma 631
actioN 512
ggaemo 389
Rush 372
Light 357
Larva 287
Stork 269
Horang2 255
[ Show more ]
BeSt 243
Snow 206
hero 183
Barracks 146
Killer 115
firebathero 102
Aegong 92
Shine 92
Dewaltoss 90
Sea.KH 75
Zeus 72
Shinee 45
Sexy 43
Sharp 36
soO 36
JYJ 35
sorry 30
ToSsGirL 28
Liquid`Ret 28
Bale 22
zelot 19
Trap 17
Rock 14
Sacsri 12
Terrorterran 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7933
qojqva1971
Dendi841
420jenkins172
Counter-Strike
x6flipin1745
fl0m1066
Fnx 754
edward61
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5291
Other Games
singsing1550
B2W.Neo879
byalli519
Khaldor492
Lowko365
Mlord293
DeMusliM208
Liquid`VortiX186
KnowMe140
ArmadaUGS122
ceh990
Trikslyr43
BRAT_OK 26
Railgan10
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV226
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream184
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH191
• StrangeGG 69
• mYiSmile121
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 22
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV418
League of Legends
• Nemesis2691
• Jankos1795
• TFBlade693
Other Games
• Shiphtur156
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 14m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 14m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.