• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:39
CEST 18:39
KST 01:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10249 users

StarDust and San interviews: Road to IEM

Forum Index > SC2 General
49 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-04-03 13:52:50
March 12 2014 12:30 GMT
#1

IEM World Championship 2014: Pre-tournament Interviews

Oz and Revival — MaNa and Nerchio — StarDust and San — jjakji and TaeJa
IEM STUFF

IEM Season 8
World Championship


Countdown:

Detailed information on Liquipedia

$100,000 Dollar Men
StarDust and San

Interviews by Waxangel

On March 13th, some of the best StarCraft 2 players in the world will gather in Katowice, Poland for a shot at winning the Intel Extreme Masters World Championship and its $100,000 grand prize. Not just the grand prize, but only prize.

IEM's decision to make the World Championship winner-take-all has been controversial, with some fans eagerly anticipating the heightened stakes, and other fans angered by the inequitable distribution of prizes.

But what do the players think? We talked to (P)yoe.San and (P)mYi.StarDust, two of the underdog Koreans, about their thoughts on the stacked tournament.

Interviews have been edited and condensed.

mYi.StarDust

"I know what the most popular build is, even if it's not the best build. But I don't like to copy that build, because then there will be nothing that makes me different from everyone else. So instead, I try to use builds that counter the most popular builds."


How are you feeling ahead of the tournament? Has it been hard adjusting to the balance patch?
Hmm, personally I'm doing alright. I actually thought Terran players were so bad that they needed an advantage. A few Terrans were constantly working hard to find a solution, but the rest of them were only complaining. The hydra buff, Ican't really tell how much it's increased their efficiency.

Do you think you're one of the championship contenders at IEM? What do you think of your chances?
Usually I don't have a huge amount of confidence in my skill, but looking at the roster ahead of this tournament there's a lot of Protoss players. PvP is half/half, so I think I have a shot. Even so, it will be hard to take first place. I think bracket luck, as well as my condition when I arrive at the tournament, will be very important.

Your PvP win rate over the last few months is incredibly high. Why do you think it's a half/half match-up?
Personally I'm confident but... When I go into game at a tournament, I start feeling uncomfortable and afraid. I've come to the weird conclusion that I'm confident but it's still half/half. In other match-ups, if there's a big enough skill difference, you can even get to the level where you almost never lose. PvP's not like that.

[image loading]
The players have split opinions on the winner-take-all $100,000 grand prize. What are your thoughts on it?
There's been a lot of talk around it... I don't think it's good. It feels like you're making 15 losers for the sake of one winner. In other tournaments if you get knocked out in the semis, then you can still recover yourself thinking that you've at least made some prize money.

For second to fourth place at IEM... I think there will be some damage, especially for second place. And if you lose the final 4:3? Just thinking about it makes me shudder.

If two of my friends play in a final, I usually go to the loser first to give him encouragement since the winner is always happy regardless of the prize money. This time around, I don't think I'll be able to approach the loser, lol... As a joke we say it's retirement for the loser.

San says it's suicide.
That kid doesn't have a thought in his head. Please edit his interview, you're not supposed to use such extreme expressions, lol.

Have you thought about where you'd use the $100,000 if you did win?
There's so many things I want to do... I guess around $70,000 would be left after taxes? I'll nomnom on about $40,000 for myself and give $30,000 away to charity, so please cheer for me.

Donate to who?
Uh, smart students who don't have money, LOL. And of course I'm not just saying this because I don't think I have a chance

You've been in Europe a while. Do you think you've assimilated somewhat?
No, I don't think so at all. I may be living on the continent of Europe, but I spend so much time in the team house. When I go out and try to talk to regular people, they have a hard time understanding me at first because my pronunciation is poor.

Still, you must feel like you have an advantage over some of the players at IEM due to your experience traveling to and competing at European tournaments.
Yes, I do benefit from that point, but on the other hand, living in Europe means I can't practice with Korean players... I think that disadvantage might outweigh the advantages.

When Korean players see a good build, they all work to develop that build, tweak it into a version of their own.

Foreigners all have builds that are uniquely their own, so sometimes when I play them I think "ah, this isn't something a Korean would ever do" and think that it's just not useful practice.

What do you think of Polt then, who is actually enjoying the best results of his career after moving abroad?
I think that players like Polt who have the ability to create their own style of play can succeed abroad. Some players have a very stubborn and rigid way of thinking, I don't think they would do well abroad. Polt hyung lives is in a world of his own, and he works to improve inside that world. I think that's why he can do well.

Even before I started playing SC2, he was already famous as 'the Marauder from Seoul National University.' He hasn't changed the larger framework of his play, and he's continuing to improve on his own terms.

Also, you can play on Korea from the US... T_T

Don't you think you're a creative player as well? For instance, your unique PvZ style helped you win the DreamHack Summer championship.
This is the way I am: I know what the most popular build is, even if it's not the best build. But I don't like to copy that build, because then there will be nothing that makes me different from everyone else. So instead, I try to use builds that counter the most popular builds.

My games tend to be either really long or really short. It's tough to figure out a timing in the middle of a build, you have to go by feel. So I prefer to just keep increasing my lead incrementally and taking it to a late game where I can't lose.

Who do you think will win IEM?
I think sOs probably has the highest chance. Watching him in individual leagues, he wins so easily. Especially in GSL.

When you watch SC2, there are players who win because they win because they are good, and players who 'just' win. I think he's both. Me, I think I'm the type who wins because I HAVE to win.

I'll pretend I understood that.
LOL. I mean, it's like....

sOs knows how to take the initiative and control the course of the game, and he makes timings where he knows he can win. Part of that is because of his ability to make builds. In any case, he's on a roll right now and I think he'll do well.

If your girlfriend was kidnapped by Somalian pirates, which three progamers would you take along with you on a rescue mission?
MC is rich, so I'll throw him to the pirates as bait. Then I'll go in for the rescue with Stork.

Why Stork?
He's a ghost!

What about the third member?
Don't need one, I don't think it would be worth the risk to take another person. What would I be worried about, we have a ghost in the party! A Darth Vader ghost at that...

Okay, any final comments or shoutouts before the tournament?
RIP Naniwa.

You can follow StarDust at:
Twitter: @StardustSC2
Stream: 90Stardust


yoe.San

"We joke around and say that if you take second place you'd probably kill yourself, but really, I think it would be alright... I'd feel very empty and deflated, but it would still be an interesting experience in life and people would give you a lot of attention. I'd have to take some solace in the WCS points."


How are you feeling ahead of IEM Katowice?
When I first heard that they were only giving prize money to the winner, I thought man... why can't they just do it like last year, this is some serious business right here.

But right now, it actually feels like a relief because my skill has dropped so much. Last year there was a prize difference between each round, and it would have been disappointing to lose in the earlier rounds. This year 16th place and 2nd place are the same, so I feel like there will be less pressure.

I've been practicing hard in the lead up to the tournament, but I don't know if it will be enough.

[image loading]
But if you DID take second, the mental damage would be substantial.
ROFL. We joke around and say that if you take second place you'd probably kill yourself, but really, I think it would be alright... I'd feel very empty and deflated, but it would still be an interesting experience in life and people would give you a lot of attention. I'd have to take some solace in the WCS points

Has your mindset changed after finally winning a big tournament?
It's just made me think that I want to try harder and win a championship again. I don't have a trophy T_T [ASUS ROG Winter did not award a physical trophy]

Did you end up taking the novelty check back to Korea at least?
Yes... From Finland to Switzerland to Germany to Finland to Korea... the edges have become rags.

What are your thoughts on the new balance patch?
Me, as well as my friends Daisy and PartinG, we're just cursing as we ladder together T_T. But I'm repenting as I watch GSL and see Protosses advance.

Your PvP played a big part in you winning ASUS ROG. Do you think the nerfed MSC scouting has made it a more random match-up? How do you feel about the prospect of playing many PvPs as IEM?
I don't MSC scout much in PvP so it doesn't change much for me in PvP. But since I keep losing PvZ and PvT after the patch... StarCraft 2 is a game of mentality, and because my mentality is broken from PvZ/PvT right now, I'm losing PvP as well. I've become awful at SC2 lately, and rather than hope to do well, I just just hope that I can avoid playing embarrassing games.

Any players you want to face? Any you want to avoid?
I want to avoid Terrans. Especially TaeJa, these days he's showing god-like gameplay.

Who do you think will win the tournament?
If it's Protoss then sOs, if Terran then TaeJa.

Any final comments then?
Thanks for the interview. IEM is the big tournament that wraps up an entire year, so I think it will be a great memory for me just to have been there. Cheer for me please!


You can follow San at:
Twitter: @SC2San
Stream: SanWon



Interviews: Waxangel
Photos: Manu Tenhunen (SETT), 7mk, ESL
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
739
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Bearded Elder29905 Posts
March 12 2014 12:31 GMT
#2
30.000$ donation? GO STARDUST
WriterSalty oldboy that loves memes | One and only back-to-back Liquibet Winner
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33703 Posts
March 12 2014 12:33 GMT
#3
On March 12 2014 21:31 739 wrote:
30.000$ donation? GO STARDUST


i couldn't tell if he was joking or not, let's savor the mystery
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
March 12 2014 12:37 GMT
#4
MC as bait ahahaha
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Zeweig
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden189 Posts
March 12 2014 12:42 GMT
#5
Geat interviews Waxangel! All of my support for StarDust, and he better man up to the 30k to charity! ^^
Commentator for Esports Heaven, covering mainly European and Chinese events. I do observing and writing on the side.
VieuxSinge
Profile Joined February 2011
France231 Posts
March 12 2014 12:44 GMT
#6
Stardust saying terran players are bad and that they need an advantage to win. right
Another clue to my existence.
Heyoka
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Katowice25012 Posts
March 12 2014 12:48 GMT
#7
Stardust and San are some of my new-ish favorites. What honorable men.
@RealHeyoka | ESL / DreamHack StarCraft Lead
SeriousLus
Profile Joined July 2012
169 Posts
March 12 2014 12:50 GMT
#8
RIP Nani... LOVE IT
bo1b
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Australia12814 Posts
March 12 2014 12:51 GMT
#9
Thanks for these interviews! When was that stork ceremony from btw?
Boucot
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
France15997 Posts
March 12 2014 12:51 GMT
#10
TIL San is "awful" at StarCraft. God dammit.
Former SC2 writer for Millenium - twitter.com/Boucot
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
March 12 2014 12:59 GMT
#11
rip nani!
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
Paljas
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6926 Posts
March 12 2014 12:59 GMT
#12
On March 12 2014 21:51 bo1b wrote:
Thanks for these interviews! When was that stork ceremony from btw?

proleague game vs flash
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-tournaments/444464-spl-samsung-vs-kt-round-2-2014
TL+ Member
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
March 12 2014 13:15 GMT
#13
I really enjoy these interviews, really good job hyping the tournament =) Thanks Wax and TL!
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
Bam Lee
Profile Joined June 2012
2336 Posts
March 12 2014 13:33 GMT
#14
hm looks like sOs is a lot scarier in the eyes of other progamers than i thought. Although i thought he would take it i would not have expected other progamers to fear him o.O
patermatrix
Profile Joined March 2012
64 Posts
March 12 2014 13:52 GMT
#15
If sOs wins this, he's #5 on SC2 Earnings (surpassing Stephano), with 80% of his prize money coming from only two tournaments.

He'd be "Mr. 100k"
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
March 12 2014 14:18 GMT
#16
These are awesome thanks for hyping this up!
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Dingodile
Profile Joined December 2011
4139 Posts
March 12 2014 14:30 GMT
#17
where is the pirate question in san's interview?
Grubby | ToD | Moon | Lyn | Sky
Skynx
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
Turkey7150 Posts
March 12 2014 14:32 GMT
#18
Rip Naniwa. Wow.
"When seagulls follow the troller, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea. Thank you very much" - King Cantona | STX 4 eva
herMan
Profile Joined November 2010
Japan2057 Posts
March 12 2014 14:47 GMT
#19
What is this quip about naniwa? Is he retiring?
Gianttt
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands194 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-12 14:53:03
March 12 2014 14:52 GMT
#20
Great interviews, thanks.

Dat Naniwa comment by SD LOL
Winners: It is difficult, but it's possible.
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 38
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1156
Shuttle 1002
Mini 812
Soma 626
actioN 474
Rush 378
Light 346
Larva 314
BeSt 235
Stork 217
[ Show more ]
Snow 161
hero 135
firebathero 117
Aegong 70
Zeus 65
Barracks 64
Liquid`Ret 58
Sexy 31
Shinee 28
Shine 28
JYJ 27
soO 26
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 22
Trap 17
sorry 16
zelot 14
Terrorterran 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 7
Dewaltoss 0
Dota 2
Gorgc7929
qojqva2376
Dendi900
420jenkins161
Counter-Strike
fl0m1243
Fnx 766
x6flipin625
pashabiceps514
ceh9379
edward59
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5742
Grubby2738
Liquid`Hasu65
Other Games
singsing1488
byalli469
B2W.Neo358
Beastyqt346
Khaldor220
DeMusliM163
Liquid`VortiX156
ArmadaUGS144
KnowMe132
Trikslyr59
BRAT_OK 57
TKL 43
C9.Mang038
Railgan3
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV276
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH275
• StrangeGG 66
• mYiSmile128
• Reevou 4
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• blackmanpl 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV417
League of Legends
• Nemesis2626
• TFBlade758
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 21m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 21m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.