• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:01
CEST 08:01
KST 15:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7725 users

David Kim answers Balance Questions on Battle.net forums -…

Forum Index > SC2 General
759 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 38 Next All
MaestroMaus
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands23 Posts
February 06 2014 09:39 GMT
#241
Wow; what a circle-jerk. I for one like the answers he gave. They seem to be fair & balanced answers and he seems to be aware of the questions that where raised. And I like he isn't trying to recreate Broodwar. I disliked that game.

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say:
A lot of the pro's are ex-Broodwar. It is sort of understandable they will always like SC1. It's nostalgia; it's the game they grew up with. I have those same feelings for other games so I can sympathise. What annoys me is the sheer amount of people who never played Broodwar seriously yet claim it was the better game. I don't know why this is. Maybe you hear your favorite player say this. Maybe you think something is wrong and would like it to see fixed. If it's the first: please stop. If it's the second; great. However do realize Broodwar isn't some magic bullet with the perfect solution to anything. The solution might very well be something else. Instead of being toxic to David you can also try to offer solutions other then "bring broodwar back hurhur".
vjcamarena
Profile Joined October 2013
Spain493 Posts
February 06 2014 09:44 GMT
#242
I'm very surprised at the negativity. I didn't think there were that many people that were that upset about the game's state. I think the game is in a OK spot, even though it could be better, like almost everything.
I love the fact that they did this and find the answers entirely reasonable. Hopefully they'll do this again.
I'm very intrigued by TvP Mech starting to crop up. Hopefully we can see some of that in televised games soon.
Mvp and ForGG! - Vortix FTW - Never forget Lucifron
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
February 06 2014 09:55 GMT
#243
On February 06 2014 18:39 MaestroMaus wrote:
Wow; what a circle-jerk. I for one like the answers he gave. They seem to be fair & balanced answers and he seems to be aware of the questions that where raised. And I like he isn't trying to recreate Broodwar. I disliked that game.

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say:
A lot of the pro's are ex-Broodwar. It is sort of understandable they will always like SC1. It's nostalgia; it's the game they grew up with. I have those same feelings for other games so I can sympathise. What annoys me is the sheer amount of people who never played Broodwar seriously yet claim it was the better game. I don't know why this is. Maybe you hear your favorite player say this. Maybe you think something is wrong and would like it to see fixed. If it's the first: please stop. If it's the second; great. However do realize Broodwar isn't some magic bullet with the perfect solution to anything. The solution might very well be something else. Instead of being toxic to David you can also try to offer solutions other then "bring broodwar back hurhur".


Lets turn it the other way around. You most likely never played bw seriously and yet claim it sucks?
Total Annihilation Zero
Adreme
Profile Joined June 2011
United States5574 Posts
February 06 2014 10:18 GMT
#244
On February 06 2014 18:55 TaShadan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 18:39 MaestroMaus wrote:
Wow; what a circle-jerk. I for one like the answers he gave. They seem to be fair & balanced answers and he seems to be aware of the questions that where raised. And I like he isn't trying to recreate Broodwar. I disliked that game.

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say:
A lot of the pro's are ex-Broodwar. It is sort of understandable they will always like SC1. It's nostalgia; it's the game they grew up with. I have those same feelings for other games so I can sympathise. What annoys me is the sheer amount of people who never played Broodwar seriously yet claim it was the better game. I don't know why this is. Maybe you hear your favorite player say this. Maybe you think something is wrong and would like it to see fixed. If it's the first: please stop. If it's the second; great. However do realize Broodwar isn't some magic bullet with the perfect solution to anything. The solution might very well be something else. Instead of being toxic to David you can also try to offer solutions other then "bring broodwar back hurhur".


Lets turn it the other way around. You most likely never played bw seriously and yet claim it sucks?


I think even implying that BW was not the best RTS of its time is anything but insane but I would also say that when people say that they hate how the AI is infinitely improved and stuff does what you tell it to without you having to basically force the issue is a massive improvement that I would not take lightly.

Now with all the AI and quality of life improvements if you had added those to BW would it have made it better then SC2? I do not know and I do not have the ability or chance to know but I do sort of wish I could because it would be fun to try but since I don't I have to live with what I have warts and all.

Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
February 06 2014 10:18 GMT
#245
I'm very surprised at the negativity. I didn't think there were that many people that were that upset about the game's state.


People will always find something to complain about, even in a perfect world
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
TinGodzilla
Profile Joined October 2013
United Kingdom65 Posts
February 06 2014 10:18 GMT
#246
Surprised by the negativity, may not agree with everything but I think it is great that the developers are taking a moment to talk to us. Sometimes it feels like people forget that the developers have no hidden agenda against their own game and are only doing their best to improve an already decent game. So from me, thank you David.
Life, Jaedong, Hyun, Impact, Suppy
Eliezar
Profile Joined May 2004
United States481 Posts
February 06 2014 10:24 GMT
#247
On Broodwar...to be honest patch 1.3 of StarCraft was better than Broodwar. 1.2 was stupid due to how overpowered stacked air units were (wraiths and scouts) and broodwar provided too many hard counters (lurkers, devourers, corsair, valkeries) that made the game less fun IMO.

So Broodwar wasn't even as good as vanilla StarCraft ;P

However, HotS is definitely an improvement on WoL and I think LotV has a chance to finish the game. Its a great game and reasonably balanced on most ladder maps for most matchups. And its fun to play with friends.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big swing in race balance before LotV comes out either. WoL had ups and downs off very minor balance tweaks.
MaestroMaus
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands23 Posts
February 06 2014 10:40 GMT
#248
On February 06 2014 18:55 TaShadan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 18:39 MaestroMaus wrote:
Wow; what a circle-jerk. I for one like the answers he gave. They seem to be fair & balanced answers and he seems to be aware of the questions that where raised. And I like he isn't trying to recreate Broodwar. I disliked that game.

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say:
A lot of the pro's are ex-Broodwar. It is sort of understandable they will always like SC1. It's nostalgia; it's the game they grew up with. I have those same feelings for other games so I can sympathise. What annoys me is the sheer amount of people who never played Broodwar seriously yet claim it was the better game. I don't know why this is. Maybe you hear your favorite player say this. Maybe you think something is wrong and would like it to see fixed. If it's the first: please stop. If it's the second; great. However do realize Broodwar isn't some magic bullet with the perfect solution to anything. The solution might very well be something else. Instead of being toxic to David you can also try to offer solutions other then "bring broodwar back hurhur".


Lets turn it the other way around. You most likely never played bw seriously and yet claim it sucks?


Don't be silly. I didn't say Broodwar sucks. I said I didn't like it. And I said that you can't fix the problems of a modern game with te solutions of an older game that's different in a lot of ways (including technical ways). Don't put words into my mouth I haven't spoken.

Also; I don't need to "have played broodwar seriously" to make the statement that I didn't like it. It's subjective.
DooMDash
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1015 Posts
February 06 2014 10:41 GMT
#249
I did not like his answers, his answers just seem like he doesn't have passion or understanding of the game and what makes a game like this fun. I'm seriously questioning any hope for SCII to thrive with him unable to notice things like oracles and swarm hosts being fine in their current state. Seems like he is almost always on the defensive, and I really can't see where he is coming from because his logic behind everything is coming from what seems like a numbers perspective rather than game play.
S1 3500+ Master T. S2 1600+ Master T.
MaestroMaus
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands23 Posts
February 06 2014 10:42 GMT
#250
On February 06 2014 19:24 Eliezar wrote:
On Broodwar...to be honest patch 1.3 of StarCraft was better than Broodwar. 1.2 was stupid due to how overpowered stacked air units were (wraiths and scouts) and broodwar provided too many hard counters (lurkers, devourers, corsair, valkeries) that made the game less fun IMO.

So Broodwar wasn't even as good as vanilla StarCraft ;P

However, HotS is definitely an improvement on WoL and I think LotV has a chance to finish the game. Its a great game and reasonably balanced on most ladder maps for most matchups. And its fun to play with friends.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a big swing in race balance before LotV comes out either. WoL had ups and downs off very minor balance tweaks.


Totally agree! Hots has been a lot of fun and a massive improvement. Can't wait to see what they are going to do next.
watchlulu
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany475 Posts
February 06 2014 10:51 GMT
#251
I don't feel like the game is mostly good balance but honestly, i really feel like DK doesn't know what he's talking about.
For example when he's talking about the Oracle and how people learn to defend it.
It's not the fact that an Oracle can kill a whole eco line when the Terran has bad defense what's bothering me - It's the fact that a Protoss can go for a third base off an Oracle and the MSC, even if the Terran has a good defense, because Terran can't leave his base.

Also, I feel like the whole thing in the end was more or less for nothing because DK said a whole lot without really saying anything
Have a nice day!
dargul
Profile Joined May 2010
Russian Federation125 Posts
February 06 2014 10:51 GMT
#252
Lets poll and see if common players still trust Kim, or may be he is incompetent and must leave this game for god sake.
Poll: You opinion about David Kim as balance designer

Yeh he is awsome. (29)
 
15%

He is slowpoke but ok. (23)
 
12%

He is killing sc2 with his incompetence. (131)
 
66%

I don't care i play moba already. (17)
 
9%

200 total votes

Your vote: You opinion about David Kim as balance designer

(Vote): Yeh he is awsome.
(Vote): He is slowpoke but ok.
(Vote): He is killing sc2 with his incompetence.
(Vote): I don't care i play moba already.



In Stim We Trust
Ragnarork
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
France9034 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-06 10:56:51
February 06 2014 10:54 GMT
#253
On February 06 2014 19:51 dargul wrote:
Lets poll and see if common players still trust Kim, or may be he is incompetent and must leave this game for god sake.
Poll: You opinion about David Kim as balance designer

Yeh he is awsome. (29)
 
15%

He is slowpoke but ok. (23)
 
12%

He is killing sc2 with his incompetence. (131)
 
66%

I don't care i play moba already. (17)
 
9%

200 total votes

Your vote: You opinion about David Kim as balance designer

(Vote): Yeh he is awsome.
(Vote): He is slowpoke but ok.
(Vote): He is killing sc2 with his incompetence.
(Vote): I don't care i play moba already.





No answer suits me...

Mine would be "I don't think he's incompetent but he's got tastes that seem to be really different than those of many spectators/players".

Oh, *ding* 3000 !
LiquipediaWanderer
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
February 06 2014 11:11 GMT
#254
Seems like the circlejerk is leaning towards hating on DK for these answers, but personally I think he never dodged a question and actually provided good reasoning for their decisions. This doesn't mean you have to agree with all of them, but there was nothing wrong with how this Q&A was approached.
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
dargul
Profile Joined May 2010
Russian Federation125 Posts
February 06 2014 11:13 GMT
#255
I'm really curious if "There are korean pros who play mech on ladder" why Kim can't show us they reps or something how he sees mech play.
It's better to show 1 time then tell us 100 times that mech is working in tvp
In Stim We Trust
nkr
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Sweden5451 Posts
February 06 2014 11:16 GMT
#256
On February 06 2014 20:13 dargul wrote:
I'm really curious if "There are korean pros who play mech on ladder" why Kim can't show us they reps or something how he sees mech play.
It's better to show 1 time then tell us 100 times that mech is working in tvp


I'm pretty sure the korean pros practicing mech for their upcoming tournament matches don't want their strategies spoiled.
ESPORTS ILLUMINATI
Dapper_Cad
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom964 Posts
February 06 2014 11:19 GMT
#257
On February 06 2014 18:36 Zealously wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 16:58 lichter wrote:
On February 06 2014 16:54 markrevival wrote:
i feel like there needs to be a separate forum here for people who hate StarCraft 2.


Zealously would probably continue to read that forum bec he is a masochist


Nah I'd just blanket ban everyone


If this forum had a purge of assholes, would any of us be safe?

Incidentally... Hey, assholes, this past month a key member of the design team has been attempting to engage with the SC2 community. Are we just going to pretty much ignore that? Yes, tribalism is fun. Who doesn't like to "I-just-discovered-potterying it up" by a roaring fire, explaining to each other why "they" are not only wrong but evil?

But after the rosy glow of self righteous furvour fades? What did he say again?

David Kim isn't the captain of the good ship SC2. Right now it's patch time and the kind of change he can get done is limited.

We don't generally do unit design changes with patches (only exception here I can think of off the top of my head was when we added the Phoenix range upgrade back in Wings),


Harassment options always seem overpowered at first. Implying that the balance team don't pay too much attention to initial community feedback on harassment changes.

Harassment options such as the Oracle harass get weaker over time due to players learning how to defend better against them.


European PvZ is especially broken for some reason.

We don't like seeing games where two players both just sit back and mass up to their composition before engaging. This is why we're currently looking into the EU late game PvZ issue.


David Kim is watching swarm host games he likes (Proleague?)

Games where Swarm Hosts are used and there's constant action everywhere including Swarm Hosts aggressively moving around often after spawning locusts leading into each side's victory are really fun to watch.


There's a lot of other stuff, including a good bit about PvT, but just from this... If you're interested in engaging with, rather than insulting, David Kim and the balance team you might solve a problem they are working of that I think most of the community recognise as a problem. He pretty much asks for help at one point.

[In] late game PvZ situation where both players refuse to engage and the game drags on for a long time. We'd really love to come up with an awesome solution to this problem without hurting the good uses of Swarm Hosts.


Maybe, just maybe you can apply your gargantuan brain to think of a clever way, within the constraints of a patch, of fixing the problem.

It's unfixable you say? Then what the hell are you doing in this thread? Go agitate for deeper changes with LotV or support Starbow or make your own mod. Right now this thread is 50% mixed whining and simple toxicity making it barely readable. When we reach background levels of crazy then come back. We'll have missed you!
But he is never making short-term prediction, everyone of his prediction are based on fundenmentals, but he doesn't exactly know when it will happen... So using these kind of narrowed "who-is-right" empirical analysis makes little sense.
dargul
Profile Joined May 2010
Russian Federation125 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-06 11:31:40
February 06 2014 11:21 GMT
#258
On February 06 2014 20:16 nkr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 06 2014 20:13 dargul wrote:
I'm really curious if "There are korean pros who play mech on ladder" why Kim can't show us they reps or something how he sees mech play.
It's better to show 1 time then tell us 100 times that mech is working in tvp


I'm pretty sure the korean pros practicing mech for their upcoming tournament matches don't want their strategies spoiled.

all of them use lllllllll so ni1 will know who is playing. And again Kim is gml random - why he can't show us how you supposed to play as terran? show us how to punish protoss after failed allin or how EXACTLY ghost buff helps counter blink allin.

But no, all he does is talking...
In Stim We Trust
ejozl
Profile Joined October 2010
Denmark3552 Posts
February 06 2014 11:30 GMT
#259
Tbh it's just nostalgia. When I started playing WC3 I was like, what's up with all the heroes and shit. It stands in the way of the pure strategic depth that was there in SC:BW, I've played before. Of course I loved the game, but it was only when SC2 came out that I truly realized how unique of a game it was and missed the extra strategy input from all the RPG elements. Much more fun spells and upgrades etc.
I guess we'll just have to wait for WC4 for people to really praise on SC2.
SC2 Archon needs "Terrible, terrible damage" as one of it's quotes.
aka_star
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United Kingdom1546 Posts
February 06 2014 11:33 GMT
#260
Deathball not a problem, force field not a problem ... meh, I'll continue to watch BW thanks David rather than war of the worlds.
FlashDave.999 aka Star
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 38 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 148
-ZergGirl 89
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1941
Hyuk 172
910 70
sorry 50
Bale 32
NotJumperer 21
yabsab 16
ZergMaN 15
Icarus 9
Noble 7
Dota 2
LuMiX1
League of Legends
JimRising 727
Reynor46
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox620
Mew2King51
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor167
Other Games
summit1g7277
WinterStarcraft381
PiGStarcraft263
C9.Mang0259
Sick222
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick640
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream242
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2323
League of Legends
• Stunt534
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 59m
Stellar Fest
6h 59m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.