• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:50
CEST 19:50
KST 02:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10086 users

[Interview] JCG Grand Championship winner

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
rikapi
Profile Joined January 2014
United States63 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-01 04:57:19
February 01 2014 04:32 GMT
#1
a bit more from the Japanese scene...

kurOa: "Because of everyone's support, I was able to make it this far"
source: StarCraft Times

[image loading]

The JCG Grand Championship was held in Tokyo TV Center Hamacho Studio (Chuo ward, Tokyo) on Sunday, January 26th.
(Wiki)kurOa won the StarCraft2 division by defeating TMjpg 3-1, and we were able to get an interview with him.

Tell us how you feel now that you won the championship.
As I said on the on-stage interview, I went into this tournament with the thought that this will be my last tournament in SC2. So, by winning, I am satisfied with the results of being able to go out with a bang.

We heard you were switching to League of Legends. Can you tell us why?
One reason is that despite SC2 still being popular on a global perspective, LoL is a lot more popular in Korea and Japan with its strong player base and room for further growth. The other reason is that I recently became confident that I can play LoL at a high level of gameplay, even more so than I first thought; so if I put more effort into playing LoL, I thought I could play games that would be fun to watch even for everyone who became fans of me during my SC2 career.

[image loading]
(photo by: files)

It must be hard to practice as a player with a day job. How did you prepare for the tournament?
I practiced bit by bit on the ladder from about two weeks before the tournament. That was where I really felt that my skills had declined. It was something I had felt from when I first got employed, but it's really tough to play SC2 after a full day of work. Expanding on the previous question, both LoL and SC2 have frequent changes of the metagame. But while in SC2 you have to master the new metagame yourself, LoL has the advantage that someone else can look for and master the metagame for you instead. I mean, for SC2, you have to take quite a bit of time to practice by yourself, but in LoL if you prepare yourself to accept the new metagame you can get by with a lot less practice time on your end in comparison. In the first place, LoL has too many working metagame formats that I don't think there is a be-all-end-all strategy yet. I think it's a game that requires more creativity than proficiency.

You were facing three zergs in the tournament, so wasn't it slightly easier to practice?
You could say that, but the ladder was the only place where I could practice, so I had a tough time trying to be matchmade with a zerg on the ladder. I had tried forfeiting matches if I wasn't faced with a zerg on the last day of practice, but I had to get myself accustomed to moving my hands again, so I ended up practicing by playing matches against all races.

[image loading]
(photo by: files)

How was your condition on the day of the tournament?
I think my condition was pretty good. I was a bit nervous, but when it was time for the match, I could concentrate on my play. I've always been the type that gets really nervous in tournament matches, so my hands were shivering during the 10-second countdown to my first map. But, during the game, I tried my best to not feel that anxiety and I think I did a good job of concentrating.

There were some soundproofing issues during the 3rd place match, but how were the conditions for the final?
They required both earphones and headsets for the final match, so I didn't hear any of the caster commentary. However, I wasn't used to wearing earphones, and my ear canal is pretty small, so my ears started to hurt. On top of that, the earphones JCG had initially got me were pretty big, so the first two maps were very tough for me. I had thought when I tried them on initially that I would be okay, but the longer I wore them, the more painful it became. In the end, I asked to switch over to a smaller set of earphones. But with regards to the audience/caster sounds, I couldn't hear anything at all, to the point where it made me slightly worried. (laughs)

[image loading]

How was that final match? Were there any maps that were noteworthy?
I had wasted so many resources, and I couldn't play a macro game like I used to, so I feel I won with just strategies and mind games. I think the level of macro play in our match was very embarrassing compared to the global progaming level. The third map was the most memorable for me. I think it was partially due to the opponent's mistake, but my push on his third base went really well, and I was able to flip the game and overtake him on a map that I should have lost. I think that affected the outcome of the Bo5 very much.

There was that time (translator note: Frost, map 2) where you built two cybernexus cores. Can you tell us what you were thinking?
I had felt that the opponent was at 2 bases with speedlings, so I predicted an all-in. If it was a baneling burst and my core evaporated, the game would become very tough for me from that point. I had already gathered more than enough minerals, so I had made a backup core. In the end, my prediction was wrong and there was no rush at all, so it might have been hard for everyone to understand why I had built two cores. Usually, when I wall myself off, I try not to place cores or forges on the wall, but on that map the opponent was kitty-corner to me and therefore very far away. I could see that he was mining one gas, but I couldn't see if he was mining two gas, so I had no idea what his actual build order was. Because I didn't know what timing he was making his pool, I didn't know how many zerglings were going to come out. Therefore, I thought of the worst-case scenario where my wall wouldn't be built in time, so I built my core first. That's why you saw what happened.

Were the proxy gateways on the last map something you had prepared for?
I had felt that the opponent felt cornered so he wouldn't do an early pool, so I impulsively thought of doing proxy gateways. I was hoping that he would be doing a 15-hatch, but when I scouted him he already had a pool up so I didn't think my plan would work. But, after the gateways were up, I chose not to send in units immediately so that he would make drones after a set of zerglings; by doing so, in the end, my plan worked and I was able to nab him. Diplomatic strategy actually played a big role for this map - before the match, a group of players including myself and TMjpg were talking about proxies, and I had said "I've never done a proxy in a tournament." I actually don't do proxies when I stream either, so it was very easy to lead the opponent's mind away from proxies. That was why I thought this would be the place to use it. It was a build order that I've never practiced before, but I used it thinking something like this is also important.

[image loading]

You mentioned that you were using the prize money to prepare for your LoL career. Do you have any concrete plans?
All of my computer devices other than my monitor are pretty ancient now, so I was thinking of replacing all of them. I'm employed now so I can use my own money to buy them all, but since I won this money in a tournament, I wanted to use the prize money for something e-sports related.

Tell us about your future goals.
I will be playing LoL from now on, but I had thought that I wouldn't fit into teams in Japan all that well and was planning to join an overseas team. But I managed to get an invitation from a Japanese team, so if all goes well I will be playing for a Japanese team. If I have the privilege of joining a Japanese team, I'd like to bring myself up on the domestic LoL scene to the caliber that I found myself in my SC2 career.

[image loading]

Finally, if there is anything else you want to say, please do.
I've been playing SC2 for three years, and all sorts of people have cheered for me. I had many imperfections and showed inexperience often, but I was really happy that everyone had supported me despite all that. I am full of gratitude for all my fans. I believe that I was able to make it this far because of everyone's support. I have handed my baton to (Z)Vaisravana now, so I hope that there will be many more opportunities for him to perform well.
saving e-sports one Carbot cookie at a time :D
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
February 01 2014 04:52 GMT
#2
There was that time (translator note: Frost, map 2) where you built two mothership cores. Can you tell us what you were thinking?
I think this should be a cybernexus core, not mothershipcore (you can't have more than one)

best of luck to him in the lol career too, the scene is huge over there.
it's good that he is able to perform well in both game
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
rikapi
Profile Joined January 2014
United States63 Posts
February 01 2014 04:57 GMT
#3
ooh thanks, corrected (i forgot about cybernexus coz i don't really play sc2, i'm a watcher but not a player coz i don't have rts genes)
saving e-sports one Carbot cookie at a time :D
Iodem
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1173 Posts
February 01 2014 05:04 GMT
#4
cool to get some Japanese sc2 news... too bad it's also a retirement announcement
If you don't like it, you can quit.
kurOa
Profile Joined February 2011
Japan9 Posts
February 01 2014 05:15 GMT
#5
thx for translation and great job on it :3
Hi I'm Japanese
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
February 01 2014 05:30 GMT
#6
grazt yo
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Harem
Profile Joined November 2007
United States11393 Posts
February 01 2014 05:43 GMT
#7
Man, I remember when Jaedong played him in a BW WCG and said it was like playing the computer even though he was b- at the time. ;; (It was a zvp on destination)

Good luck with the switch to LoL, kuroa.
Moderator。◕‿◕。
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
February 01 2014 05:53 GMT
#8
Thanks for the translation! Nice to read thoughts about Japanese players. Best of luck to him in the LoL scene!

On February 01 2014 14:43 Harem wrote:
Man, I remember when Jaedong played him in a BW WCG and said it was like playing the computer even though he was b- at the time. ;; (It was a zvp on destination)

oh, so this was the guy then lol. Wonder what led Jaedong to have that perception.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Harem
Profile Joined November 2007
United States11393 Posts
February 01 2014 05:58 GMT
#9
On February 01 2014 14:53 BigFan wrote:
Thanks for the translation! Nice to read thoughts about Japanese players. Best of luck to him in the LoL scene!

Show nested quote +
On February 01 2014 14:43 Harem wrote:
Man, I remember when Jaedong played him in a BW WCG and said it was like playing the computer even though he was b- at the time. ;; (It was a zvp on destination)

oh, so this was the guy then lol. Wonder what led Jaedong to have that perception.

He said it twice on two seperate occasions. The more famous one is when he played Zim on Tau who was legitimately D- and JD thought it was a zvz.
Moderator。◕‿◕。
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-01 09:04:43
February 01 2014 09:04 GMT
#10
On February 01 2014 14:58 Harem wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 01 2014 14:53 BigFan wrote:
Thanks for the translation! Nice to read thoughts about Japanese players. Best of luck to him in the LoL scene!

On February 01 2014 14:43 Harem wrote:
Man, I remember when Jaedong played him in a BW WCG and said it was like playing the computer even though he was b- at the time. ;; (It was a zvp on destination)

oh, so this was the guy then lol. Wonder what led Jaedong to have that perception.

He said it twice on two seperate occasions. The more famous one is when he played Zim on Tau who was legitimately D- and JD thought it was a zvz.

oh, unfortunately, I'm not that familiar with who Zim is or what tourney it was, just read a post about it somewhere on TL but why would Jaedong be playing a D- player? lol.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Shinta)
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1716 Posts
February 08 2014 04:33 GMT
#11
Sad that you can't even build a decent computer with that low of a first place prize. Traveling to Tokyo isn't cheap either!

As always, glad that these tournaments exist, and I hope they continue, but importantly, I hope more money gets invested into them.

I think kurOa will fit better in LoL. Was never a fan of his, but he's pretty talented at games and provides top level competition to the Japanese scene. It'll be fun to watch his LoL contribution.
Suteki Da Ne 素敵だね Isn't it Wonderful
FromShouri
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States862 Posts
February 08 2014 04:46 GMT
#12
On February 08 2014 13:33 Shinta) wrote:
Sad that you can't even build a decent computer with that low of a first place prize. Traveling to Tokyo isn't cheap either!

As always, glad that these tournaments exist, and I hope they continue, but importantly, I hope more money gets invested into them.

I think kurOa will fit better in LoL. Was never a fan of his, but he's pretty talented at games and provides top level competition to the Japanese scene. It'll be fun to watch his LoL contribution.


?? Thats like 1000 USD, you could easily make a bad ass pc for like 800. Good ole kuroa, glad he is getting the attention he deserves.
Limited Edition, lets do some simple addition, $50 for a T-Shirt is just some ignorant bitch shit.
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 363
UpATreeSC 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1434
actioN 455
BeSt 212
Dewaltoss 189
firebathero 95
Zeus 68
Trap 39
Sexy 27
zelot 26
soO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 20
Shine 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7436
qojqva2120
Dendi935
420jenkins155
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1019
Fnx 786
x6flipin430
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6280
crisheroes5663
Liquid`Hasu676
Other Games
Beastyqt679
B2W.Neo604
ceh9500
byalli368
ArmadaUGS173
C9.Mang0152
KnowMe151
Khaldor137
TKL 120
BRAT_OK 82
Trikslyr61
Railgan13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV255
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream133
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH314
• StrangeGG 49
• Reevou 5
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 46
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• blackmanpl 17
• FirePhoenix12
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV431
League of Legends
• Nemesis3947
• TFBlade893
Other Games
• Shiphtur331
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 11m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 11m
Stellar Fest
19h 11m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.