• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:49
CEST 01:49
KST 08:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9128 users

viOLet recognized as Athlete by the US government - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
217 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
jackslater
Profile Joined November 2012
Russian Federation604 Posts
December 11 2013 20:18 GMT
#121
CONGRATZ to SIR VIOLET!
seoul_kiM
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States545 Posts
December 11 2013 20:26 GMT
#122
On December 12 2013 04:50 Ctone23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 04:45 seoul_kiM wrote:
Aren't all Texas schools second rate kind of except for Rice?

U of T Austin has a great law program though.


Nice generalization. Yeah, here in Texas we ride horses to school (only attend school after herding cattle, number one priority) and our women chew tobacco.


You might believe that I am ignorant, but you don't realize that your definition of second rate and mine might be completely different. I will admit that I am from the Northeast and you might make the generalization that I am an elitist pig. In my mind, I think there are top tier schools and then second rate schools even among your definition of a first rate school. It's not a long list at all: The Ivy League, MIT, CALTech, Berkeley, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, UChicago, Northwestern, Wash U in St. Louis, Stanford, Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst. (excluding special schools like Juiliard) The schools that you are referring to might be good schools and even great schools in the local area but Nationally they are not as competitive.

The school you are referring to does not exist in Texas. It's called Deep Springs College in California and it is super competitive with most of its alumni completing a two year program and attending the world's best universities. So yes, I know my shit.

I'm not in high school, I'm not in college, I'm out of college and I work.
oGs.MC: Repair IMBAAAAAAAAAAa
Karis Vas Ryaar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States4396 Posts
December 11 2013 20:30 GMT
#123
On December 12 2013 05:26 seoul_kiM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 04:50 Ctone23 wrote:
On December 12 2013 04:45 seoul_kiM wrote:
Aren't all Texas schools second rate kind of except for Rice?

U of T Austin has a great law program though.


Nice generalization. Yeah, here in Texas we ride horses to school (only attend school after herding cattle, number one priority) and our women chew tobacco.


You might believe that I am ignorant, but you don't realize that your definition of second rate and mine might be completely different. I will admit that I am from the Northeast and you might make the generalization that I am an elitist pig. In my mind, I think there are top tier schools and then second rate schools even among your definition of a first rate school. It's not a long list at all: The Ivy League, MIT, CALTech, Berkeley, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, UChicago, Northwestern, Wash U in St. Louis, Stanford, Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst. (excluding special schools like Juiliard) The schools that you are referring to might be good schools and even great schools in the local area but Nationally they are not as competitive.

The school you are referring to does not exist in Texas. It's called Deep Springs College in California and it is super competitive with most of its alumni completing a two year program and attending the world's best universities. So yes, I know my shit.

I'm not in high school, I'm not in college, I'm out of college and I work.


um your going way off topic here. basically Texas schools are about as good as most public universities in the US and some have strong programs. he was making a joke about stereotypes not trying to talk about a school.

anyway back on subject good for violet that this finally got resolved
"I'm not agreeing with a lot of Virus's decisions but they are working" Tasteless. Ipl4 Losers Bracket Virus 2-1 Maru
kochanfe
Profile Joined July 2011
Micronesia1338 Posts
December 11 2013 20:34 GMT
#124
Wow. Pretty groundbreaking. Happy for viOLet!
"The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long." - Lao Tzu
emanresU
Profile Joined November 2012
Germany393 Posts
December 11 2013 20:49 GMT
#125
So happy for violet hoping to see more of him in 2014 ^_^
There is nothing more cool than being proud of the things you love. -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Ctone23
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States1841 Posts
December 11 2013 20:51 GMT
#126
On December 12 2013 05:26 seoul_kiM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 04:50 Ctone23 wrote:
On December 12 2013 04:45 seoul_kiM wrote:
Aren't all Texas schools second rate kind of except for Rice?

U of T Austin has a great law program though.


Nice generalization. Yeah, here in Texas we ride horses to school (only attend school after herding cattle, number one priority) and our women chew tobacco.


You might believe that I am ignorant, but you don't realize that your definition of second rate and mine might be completely different. I will admit that I am from the Northeast and you might make the generalization that I am an elitist pig. In my mind, I think there are top tier schools and then second rate schools even among your definition of a first rate school. It's not a long list at all: The Ivy League, MIT, CALTech, Berkeley, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, UChicago, Northwestern, Wash U in St. Louis, Stanford, Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst. (excluding special schools like Juiliard) The schools that you are referring to might be good schools and even great schools in the local area but Nationally they are not as competitive.

The school you are referring to does not exist in Texas. It's called Deep Springs College in California and it is super competitive with most of its alumni completing a two year program and attending the world's best universities. So yes, I know my shit.

I'm not in high school, I'm not in college, I'm out of college and I work.


You made a very generic statement about a state with a lot of great Universities. Sure, it might not be to your standard (I went to college outside of Texas by the way, and I also work) but many top programs exist in varying Texas Universities. Also, it's dependent on what you mean by "competitive" when you are ranking schools. I don't really see the point, but if it makes your degree feel more rewarding, then that's cool.

I really don't see the need to get into this further, I was just trying to poke a little fun at such a generalized statement.

TL+ Member
AsmodeusXI
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States15536 Posts
December 11 2013 20:54 GMT
#127
Yay eSports!
WriterTL > RL. BNet: Asmodeus#1187 - LoL: DJForeclosure - Steam: asmodeusxi | www.n3rddimension.com
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-11 21:22:58
December 11 2013 20:55 GMT
#128
Love ViOlet :D

On December 12 2013 05:26 seoul_kiM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 04:50 Ctone23 wrote:
On December 12 2013 04:45 seoul_kiM wrote:
Aren't all Texas schools second rate kind of except for Rice?

U of T Austin has a great law program though.


Nice generalization. Yeah, here in Texas we ride horses to school (only attend school after herding cattle, number one priority) and our women chew tobacco.


You might believe that I am ignorant, but you don't realize that your definition of second rate and mine might be completely different. I will admit that I am from the Northeast and you might make the generalization that I am an elitist pig. In my mind, I think there are top tier schools and then second rate schools even among your definition of a first rate school. It's not a long list at all: The Ivy League, MIT, CALTech, Berkeley, Duke, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Vanderbilt, Emory, UChicago, Northwestern, Wash U in St. Louis, Stanford, Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst. (excluding special schools like Juiliard) The schools that you are referring to might be good schools and even great schools in the local area but Nationally they are not as competitive.

The school you are referring to does not exist in Texas. It's called Deep Springs College in California and it is super competitive with most of its alumni completing a two year program and attending the world's best universities. So yes, I know my shit.

I'm not in high school, I'm not in college, I'm out of college and I work.


Both Texas A&M (11) and the University of Texas at Austin (11) are ranked higher in engineering than Johns Hopkins (25), U Penn (22), Harvard (23), Princeton (17), and the majority of the others you listed who might not even make the list. MIT, Caltech, Berkely, and Stanford among the competing ones. And engineering is a big field, by the way. Don't know what you mean by second rate.

Law? Sure. The northeast has a greater quantity of equally good schools. But for engineering, I pay a fraction (literally less than 20%) of what I would pay to get a better education at A&M than I would at an Ivy League (I was accepted into U Penn as well as Notre Dame and Cornell with scholarships. Didn't apply to anywhere else although I doubt I'd get into MIT).

Some Law stats: UT Austin ranked 15th, behind 14th Georgetown and obviously Ivy league schools are ranked generally in the top 10. It outranks Vanderbilt, Emory, Wash U, and Rice (which isn't even in the list). Others you mentioned aren't on this list or engineering.

Business: UT Austin is ranked 17th, ahead of (again among those you listed): Wash U, Emory, and Georgetown. Texas A&M's Business school wasn't even accredited until 1972, or named until 1996, and it's ranked 35th and has been rising since then.

We may not have 15 ivy league universities in Texas, but the two "flagship" schools of Texas (A&M and UT) slot pretty well into your "shortlist," considering they dominate most of those schools in Engineering, while UT is also more than capable of beating a good number of those schools in your list in both business and law (Texas A&M's business school is relatively new and we apparently JUST acquired a law school in Fort Worth as of 2013. Can't really expect much from that).

If top 15 in 2 of the big three and top 20 in the third aren't "Nationally competitive," maybe you are just elitist. Still doesn't explain those engineering stats though. You go northeast for law, sure. Want a better engineering degree? Northeast ain't gonna serve you so well then. So making your list as you did leaves you either unnecessarily elitist, or extremely biased, for no particular reason if only to hate on public schools.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools 2013 lists.

Additional notes: Texas A&M ranks top 10 in several undergraduate engineering disciplines, and ranks 18th as "best value" nationwide. UT Austin has the 8th ranked undergraduate business program nationwide, with two top 3 rankings, and 10th in undergraduate engineering.

Please, enlighten me as to where top 5's, top 10's, top 15's, and top 20's doesn't qualify as first rate, "nationally competitive" universities. We may not have as many as you do, but the best ones here (even though they're silly public schools) are as good as the best ones anywhere.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Dreamsmasher2
Profile Joined August 2013
Canada38 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-11 20:56:36
December 11 2013 20:55 GMT
#129
On December 12 2013 02:43 Gorlin wrote:
Wow, what a dick move by MLG. I'm sure it would not have been difficult to write a damn letter or something, they could have helped a ton with the process.


i am not surprise by MLG doing something like that, it was always about the money for them. After the tournament they probably didnt give a rats ass about violet
Dreamsmasher2
Profile Joined August 2013
Canada38 Posts
December 11 2013 21:03 GMT
#130
On December 12 2013 03:18 Levistus wrote:
damn i forgot about violet. i thought this was kt violet. glad he got his visa and will return. i wonder how far he will go now that more koreans play foreign tournaments.

anyone got any idea what they used to prove violet was internationally recognized without the use of videos? also what kind of visas do the koreans on foreign teams have like jaedong? they don't seem to have visa problems or do they stay in korea and only go abroad when there's a tournament?

thanks


O.O isnt KT Violet dead? Sadly
GinNtoniC
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Sweden2945 Posts
December 11 2013 21:08 GMT
#131
That's very cool!
Huge fan of JulyZerg, HonestTea and that guy Kim Taek Yong.
seoul_kiM
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States545 Posts
December 11 2013 21:09 GMT
#132
after all that hard work in preparing for WCS...im finally glad he'll have his shot
oGs.MC: Repair IMBAAAAAAAAAAa
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
December 11 2013 21:13 GMT
#133
On December 12 2013 05:55 Dreamsmasher2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 02:43 Gorlin wrote:
Wow, what a dick move by MLG. I'm sure it would not have been difficult to write a damn letter or something, they could have helped a ton with the process.


i am not surprise by MLG doing something like that, it was always about the money for them. After the tournament they probably didnt give a rats ass about violet

That isn't true, they have helped out players. Recently the manager of Speed gaming(rencent MLG champs) has a total public melt down and during the event. MLG helped get the team flights home and Adam went to bat for them on reddit when their ex manager started talking trash.

Writing a letter of representation to the federal government is some serious stuff. Unlike TB and the other guys who wrote letters, MLG is a larger company who would likely have to run that by an attorney. I am sure they wanted to, but they can't write a letter for every pro that competed in every one of their events.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
-niL
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada1131 Posts
December 11 2013 21:19 GMT
#134
I MISSED VIOLET SO MUCH
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
December 11 2013 21:20 GMT
#135
I addressed this on the reddit thread on /r/starcraft.

We only endorse players that are attending MLG events for liability reasons. We cannot put our ability to help attain player visas for events we sanction in jeopardy. This is not an issue exclusive to Violet or to SC2 players, it applies to anyone: If we're not operationally liable for the event, we do not endorse visas.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
Homework
Profile Joined December 2010
United States283 Posts
December 11 2013 21:25 GMT
#136
On December 12 2013 04:05 Nerevar wrote:
Polt is actually studying at the University of Texas at Austin, not A&M. That's actually a pretty big difference among us Texans, so don't go around mixing the two up if you're ever down here


ahhh so he picked the worse of the two schools
XaMaXaM
Profile Joined June 2012
Germany113 Posts
December 11 2013 21:25 GMT
#137
I knew cause it was obv that this was coming.
Wuster
Profile Joined May 2011
1974 Posts
December 11 2013 21:31 GMT
#138
On December 12 2013 06:20 MLG_Adam wrote:
I addressed this on the reddit thread on /r/starcraft.

We only endorse players that are attending MLG events for liability reasons. We cannot put our ability to help attain player visas for events we sanction in jeopardy. This is not an issue exclusive to Violet or to SC2 players, it applies to anyone: If we're not operationally liable for the event, we do not endorse visas.


It's a shame the article didn't go more indepth on this issue, like they did for why Kim Rom didn't want to get involved (although from the comments, he felt that giving his reasons was breaching his privacy...), because most people aren't going to understand the legal complexities.

That said, it's a little surprising that MLG couldn't at least give a reference based on their *history*. But I suppose pulling up the old MLG press-releases would have been something CSA could do on their own to proof Violet's legitimacy as an SC2 competitor.
MLG_Adam
Profile Joined July 2010
United States994 Posts
December 11 2013 21:35 GMT
#139
On December 12 2013 06:31 Wuster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 12 2013 06:20 MLG_Adam wrote:
I addressed this on the reddit thread on /r/starcraft.

We only endorse players that are attending MLG events for liability reasons. We cannot put our ability to help attain player visas for events we sanction in jeopardy. This is not an issue exclusive to Violet or to SC2 players, it applies to anyone: If we're not operationally liable for the event, we do not endorse visas.


It's a shame the article didn't go more indepth on this issue, like they did for why Kim Rom didn't want to get involved (although from the comments, he felt that giving his reasons was breaching his privacy...), because most people aren't going to understand the legal complexities.

That said, it's a little surprising that MLG couldn't at least give a reference based on their *history*. But I suppose pulling up the old MLG press-releases would have been something CSA could do on their own to proof Violet's legitimacy as an SC2 competitor.


Agreed. I took umbrage with the article in that it did not objectively outline the risks a corporation like MLG takes on when endorsing someone to a government agency. If something were to happen while an endorsed player was here, MLG would not be 'liable' but we would/could face scrutiny when attempting to endorse other people in the future.

For that reason, we only endorse people when we are operationally liable for the event they are attending.
Twitter: MrAdamAp
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
December 11 2013 21:36 GMT
#140
On December 12 2013 06:20 MLG_Adam wrote:
I addressed this on the reddit thread on /r/starcraft.

We only endorse players that are attending MLG events for liability reasons. We cannot put our ability to help attain player visas for events we sanction in jeopardy. This is not an issue exclusive to Violet or to SC2 players, it applies to anyone: If we're not operationally liable for the event, we do not endorse visas.


I hope you're getting a Christmas bonus for all the cheap PR flak you've had to deal with over the last year. I don't envy your job for a second.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft343
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta20
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft343
Nina 101
ViBE79
SpeCial 73
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 172
Noble 77
Hyuk 63
NaDa 43
Bale 18
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
Doublelift3939
Counter-Strike
minikerr8
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox417
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4664
Khaldor702
Other Games
summit1g7913
FrodaN1720
Coldzera 815
shahzam568
JimRising 432
C9.Mang0308
KnowMe196
ArmadaUGS57
Mew2King42
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick755
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream89
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH363
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21422
Other Games
• imaqtpie737
• Shiphtur159
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 11m
Online Event
11h 11m
FEL
16h 11m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.