• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:08
CEST 11:08
KST 18:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7019 users

How to Earn a League Promotion - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
November 15 2011 22:21 GMT
#121
Wow, glad blizzard revealed this information
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
Barbiero
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Brazil5259 Posts
November 15 2011 22:57 GMT
#122
Not really "revealing", as it's just their predictions; They did confirm however that points influence the MMR.

What about the league "division tiers", discovered months ago? Maybe they just dropped that idea altogether?
♥ The world needs more hearts! ♥
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
November 15 2011 22:59 GMT
#123
On November 16 2011 07:57 Zephirdd wrote:
Not really "revealing", as it's just their predictions; They did confirm however that points influence the MMR.

What about the league "division tiers", discovered months ago? Maybe they just dropped that idea altogether?


Well not applicable for masters at least! :D No idea about the rest though... maybe that's the unmodified point values.
Conquerer67
Profile Joined May 2011
United States605 Posts
November 15 2011 23:30 GMT
#124
So... if I have 800 points by the 13th of December, then I get into Diamond? Is that what they're saying?
I hate when people compare SC2 and rochambeu. One race isn't fucking supposed to counter another one. | Protoss isn't OP. Their units on the other hand....
Budzlight
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States578 Posts
November 15 2011 23:34 GMT
#125
On November 16 2011 02:44 optical630 wrote:
who wouldda thought you had to PLAY GAMES to get promoted?

My thoguhts exactly. If you have to ask how to get promoted your doing it wrong. Glad they released this for those who didnt know you had to win.
I was the 5% that voted for thorzain in the TSL for round 1
IMoperator
Profile Joined October 2011
4476 Posts
November 15 2011 23:34 GMT
#126
ugh 900 points to get to masters
Qibla
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia343 Posts
November 15 2011 23:36 GMT
#127
Is SG.supposed to be SEA?
Are you calling moi a dipshit?
ixi.genocide
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States981 Posts
November 15 2011 23:41 GMT
#128
the bonus pool for silver-diamond is 1 point through 193 hours. It is nov 15 in NA so there is 28 days left at (24x28)/3.3 which is 203 or so points. lets just call it 200; So essentially all points for people under masters is 200 less. ie 1200 for bronze, 600 for s-p and 700 for diamond. Now take your current point total and minus that from the points left over. Divide that number by 10 to get an approximate amount of games you have to win more than lose.

Using myself as an example, 623 points + 200=823. 900-823=77/10=7.7 round up to 8. I have to win 8 more games than I lose to hit 900 points by Dec 13. I would like to make sure i am promoted so I will shoot for 18 more games than I lose. Because my current win rate is high and I am facing a lot of Masters players I expect to be promoted if I get my 900 points.
envisioN .
Profile Joined February 2011
United States552 Posts
November 15 2011 23:45 GMT
#129
I like this release by Blizzard because it gives all of us a goal to strive for to reach the next division. No longer is it simply win a lot of games, but a clear, defined goal.

That being said, I think these point values could be much more concise if there was no bonus pool. The bonus pool artificially inflates the number of points on the ladder, making Points deviate a lot from our MMR. Without a bonus pool, we could easily see if we are improving and by how much we are improving.
"Good works do not make a good man, but a good man does good works" -Martin Luther ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
BluePanther
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2776 Posts
November 15 2011 23:46 GMT
#130
On November 16 2011 08:41 ixi.genocide wrote:
the bonus pool for silver-diamond is 1 point through 193 hours. It is nov 15 in NA so there is 28 days left at (24x28)/3.3 which is 203 or so points. lets just call it 200; So essentially all points for people under masters is 200 less. ie 1200 for bronze, 600 for s-p and 700 for diamond. Now take your current point total and minus that from the points left over. Divide that number by 10 to get an approximate amount of games you have to win more than lose.

Using myself as an example, 623 points + 200=823. 900-823=77/10=7.7 round up to 8. I have to win 8 more games than I lose to hit 900 points by Dec 13. I would like to make sure i am promoted so I will shoot for 18 more games than I lose. Because my current win rate is high and I am facing a lot of Masters players I expect to be promoted if I get my 900 points.



That can't be right... i'm like 270 for diamond R4's, adding 200 would give me 470? That would mean someone at the top of their division would have to go +360 to get a promotion? That seems a little extreme, a 35+ game differential to get promoted....
Theovide
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden914 Posts
November 15 2011 23:59 GMT
#131
On November 16 2011 02:28 Elendoil wrote:
You guys are doing it wrong: The points Blizz is talking about is not the points that you are having (at least I think). Else their statement that you have to win over 50% of the time for a long period of time wouldn't make sense. If I play 1 game every day my bonuspool is more than enough to gain me a steady income of points if I keep a 50% winrate. So I guess they are talking about other points. Also it would be stupid to need more points to get from Bronze to Silver then from Silver to Gold.


Actually, you are doing it wrong. As leagues are now a limited and decided (beforehand) amount of time, IE a decided amount of bonuspool points being given, they can calculate what points is equal to promotion and demotion. Thus it is the points that shows on your profile that they are mentioning, but it's the points you have after using up all your bonus pool at the end of a season.
Lysenko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Iceland2128 Posts
November 16 2011 00:09 GMT
#132
On November 16 2011 07:57 Zephirdd wrote:
Not really "revealing", as it's just their predictions; They did confirm however that points influence the MMR.

What about the league "division tiers", discovered months ago? Maybe they just dropped that idea altogether?


They have total control over the boundaries and how they map to points, so while those numbers aren't perfect (because individual players' recent game histories will vary somewhat), they're better than a "prediction."

As for division tiers, we discussed that a couple pages ago. There's some good info there that I won't repeat here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
November 16 2011 00:10 GMT
#133
So I'm already 1/9th of the way to master league on my account where I have 117 points and 4 wins with 6 games played this season (I'm playing on my offracing account more right now)? This seems kinda sketchy. I guess I'll just keep 7pooling in ZvP and keep them points climbing.

All this basically says is if you play regularly and spend your bonus pool you will be promoted. In reality that means you are playing enough that you might actually improve. At least it gives somewhat of a goal I guess.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Lysenko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Iceland2128 Posts
November 16 2011 00:12 GMT
#134
On November 16 2011 08:45 envisioN . wrote:
That being said, I think these point values could be much more concise if there was no bonus pool. The bonus pool artificially inflates the number of points on the ladder, making Points deviate a lot from our MMR. Without a bonus pool, we could easily see if we are improving and by how much we are improving.


The bonus pool serves one purpose only, which is to ensure that maintaining one's ladder spot requires continued play.

You could argue that continued play shouldn't be necessary to hold one's spot, but a counter-argument is that the MMRs get stale over time without games played, both because the overall population's skill increases with more practice, and because the player who's not playing falls out of practice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Share_The_Land
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada152 Posts
November 16 2011 00:19 GMT
#135
On November 16 2011 02:38 Torte de Lini wrote:
So, in translation and less detail: just win lol


You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar :D Haha srsly tho truth, but I did get promoted to 2v2 masters once on a loss. Very rare tho from what I've seen and it may have been that my points allowed it.
"Turns out he's a former Counterstrike pro and grabs his ak!" - Tasteless
Peanutbutter717
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States240 Posts
November 16 2011 00:21 GMT
#136
I like this because it gives me an objective, tangible, goal, something I can reach for.
Marine -> masters
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 00:27:40
November 16 2011 00:24 GMT
#137
On November 16 2011 02:28 FairForever wrote:
I'm at 843 points... so at an average of 12 points per day from bonus pool (starting today till Dec 19), that is 35 days * 12 points = 420 points. Damn, only 1263... I'm still short about 140 points to GM

So really anyone who is at 980 points or higher right now in NA Masters is playing at a GM level (assuming no bonus pool).

We should have a table for when to expect to get demoted.


It says near GM. Pretty sure it was 1700~ last season, and that probably wouldn't have guaranteed you a spot. 1400 was around top 1,000 NA masters (not including GM itself). You can do the math from that point, unless the average rating takes a wild skew this season.
TideRoll
Profile Joined September 2011
United States106 Posts
November 16 2011 00:26 GMT
#138
Wow, so you win more than you lose and you get promoted? Man I NEVER would have guessed... durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol
I guess the points estimation is somewhat useful... But blah. Just play, get better, and it will all come together naturally.
tsuxiit
Profile Joined July 2010
1305 Posts
November 16 2011 00:29 GMT
#139
Isn't this number going to change constantly? Due to bonus pool?
Lysenko
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Iceland2128 Posts
November 16 2011 00:31 GMT
#140
On November 16 2011 09:29 tsuxiit wrote:
Isn't this number going to change constantly? Due to bonus pool?


The estimate includes an end-of-season bonus pool based on the season ending December 19th. If that date changes, the number will change.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 53m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 448
Larva 212
Horang2 165
EffOrt 54
Hyun 52
Killer 47
Bale 45
scan(afreeca) 41
NotJumperer 34
Sharp 27
[ Show more ]
Mind 23
Hm[arnc] 15
sorry 1
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto113
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1112
edward94
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King101
Other Games
summit1g6986
Coldzera 680
ceh9645
Happy292
crisheroes189
Sick174
dupreeh24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick552
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2287
League of Legends
• Jankos1007
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
53m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 53m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 53m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.