• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:40
CEST 07:40
KST 14:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7227 users

Multiple 1v1 ranks and the future of the ladder - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 20 Next All
Phlatline
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Croatia176 Posts
October 13 2011 05:38 GMT
#201
i think every race should be different ranking.
If you want to get higher in rank you won't really try out other races and not everyone has money to buy 3 copies of SC2
Subversion
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
South Africa3627 Posts
October 13 2011 05:40 GMT
#202
Four is probably too many to be honest, it might screw up the matchmaking.

I think 2 is probably best.
RockRehab
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia19 Posts
October 13 2011 05:41 GMT
#203
Maybe you should grow some balls and learn to play. Noob.
It's not a job it's a sickness, cus we be ill with this.
cosimorondo
Profile Joined November 2010
United States78 Posts
October 13 2011 05:53 GMT
#204
I would prefer that there were 6 ladder rankings -- one for each matchup
Stropheum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1124 Posts
October 13 2011 05:57 GMT
#205
I think racial ladder ranks would be fine. As far as representation goes, your "featured" ladder should just be your main race
nvrs
Profile Joined October 2010
Greece481 Posts
October 13 2011 06:04 GMT
#206
On October 13 2011 07:24 ChroMaTe_ wrote:
There should just be an unranked 1v1 "ladder" period.


This!
Its ridiculous that there isn't and you can never no with customs your opponents MMR, because they often fool around (even opponents in higher leagues).
enCore-
Profile Joined July 2010
98 Posts
October 13 2011 06:07 GMT
#207
On October 13 2011 07:27 Volrod wrote:
i would love an unranked ladder like in LoL where there are no downsides, being able to play some games and warm up/decide if u want to play a stressful game in the normal ladder would be good, doubt they will impliment this tho


Every serious game is stressful, otherwise you're just wasting your time.
LordOfDabu
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
United States394 Posts
October 13 2011 06:13 GMT
#208
I'm pretty sure each race already does have its own mmr, though they are combined together somehow for a single number.

For me, my P >> Z >> T. When I played random for an extensive time I could tell what race I was going to get by the favored system; it would say my opponent was slightly favored whenever I got Toss and that I was slightly favored whenever I got Terran.
Think fast. Click faster.
Beamer
Profile Joined March 2010
United States242 Posts
October 13 2011 06:21 GMT
#209
I think an account should have 3 separate MMR ratings associated with it, one for each race. This will ensure that a player is given an opponent of equal skill, regardless of the race that the player chooses. This means that given a player who only plays Protoss and is in Grandmasters, if they decide to switch races to play Zerg, they will play their 5 placement matches as Zerg and be faced with opponents accordingly.

I don't think that a separate MMR rating for a random player is necessary. Instead, whatever race you are randomly assigned, you will play with the MMR rating that you have established with that race. For example, with the previously mentioned Grandmaster Protoss, if he decides to play random, he will face very challenging players if he lands Protoss, and much easier players if he lands Zerg. This system ensures that a random player won't demolish his opponent if he lands his strong race (which the opposite is happening right now, where he gets demolished if he lands his weak race. Neither is ideal). Overall, the system ensures fair matches for both players.

Finally, although an account may have 3 MMR ratings, I don't believe that an account should be in 3 different leagues because otherwise, I think it would start to get too complicated. Instead, an account's league should only be associated with that account's highest MMR rating. Furthermore, a player would not be able to gain or lose points unless they are playing their highest MMR race. In our Grandmaster Protoss example, when he plays Zerg, he's still seen as being in Grandmaster league. However, his diamond league opponent needn't worry since matches are determined by MMR. If our GM Protoss wins, he doesn't gain any points, but his opponent still loses points (if he's playing his highest MMR race that is). Conversely, if the GM Protoss loses, he doesn't lose any points, but his opponent still gains points. Both players' MMR ratings for their races played will change, however.

If I were to revamp the current system to incorporate multiple ranks for races, this is how I would do it. It seems relatively simple (just 2 more numbers to track per account), works behind the scenes so players wouldn't notice it, and all players are guaranteed to face opponents of equal skill regardless of the race chosen. There may be problems with this idea that I haven't thought of, but I believe it is a solid concept that could improve the matchmaking of Starcraft 2.
ambrosiaa
Profile Joined October 2011
Singapore333 Posts
October 13 2011 06:33 GMT
#210
On October 13 2011 15:13 LordOfDabu wrote:
I'm pretty sure each race already does have its own mmr, though they are combined together somehow for a single number.

For me, my P >> Z >> T. When I played random for an extensive time I could tell what race I was going to get by the favored system; it would say my opponent was slightly favored whenever I got Toss and that I was slightly favored whenever I got Terran.

I don't think the ladder system works that way. It doesn't take the mmr of the race you are going to get and place and opponent against you. Random is counted as a race by itself.
schmitty9800
Profile Joined August 2010
United States390 Posts
October 13 2011 06:39 GMT
#211
If you're not at high Master level then rank doesn't mean a whole lot. I do Terran or Zerg or Random or play drunk or whatever I feel like on my account and have fun doing whatever I want (plat level).
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
October 13 2011 06:45 GMT
#212
1 is enough. If you have more then lot of leagues will have idle players because they are on their other accounts playing.

1v1 population isn't growing as time goes by if you guys have noticed and there is no need in dividing the players into more accounts so that the ladder may have a lot more idle accounts just because people take this game sometimes a bit too serious.

Just practice on your off races and get back to the ladder.
Kamakiri
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden312 Posts
October 13 2011 06:57 GMT
#213
If you really want to play ladder without the fear of losing all the time, then buy another account.

Buying another account isn't that expensive (at least not according to me) and it completly removes any ladder fear etc. You can name it something stupid, not add friends on it, and just fool around.

Well that's what I did and it worked out great.

If you do not have the money for it for some reason. I am sure that doing some work instead of complaining here would solve that to
cancer lancer, faceless cancer
phiinix
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1169 Posts
October 13 2011 07:00 GMT
#214
active player base has decreased since sc2 was released mid summer and since mid-august to late September people have been starting school and don't have time for games. The scary ladder theory isn't as big as you think - -"
Big-t
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria1351 Posts
October 13 2011 07:04 GMT
#215
I would love to have multi accounts, but blizzard will never do this. Why should they do????
monchi | IdrA | Flash
Tofugrinder
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria899 Posts
October 13 2011 08:13 GMT
#216
there _should_ be unlimited number of accounts. will blizzard do it? never
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
October 13 2011 08:29 GMT
#217
On October 13 2011 14:41 RockRehab wrote:
Maybe you should grow some balls and learn to play. Noob.


Wow.
twitch.tv/duttroach
iNViCiOUZ
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany364 Posts
October 13 2011 08:44 GMT
#218
No thanks, that just incrases the chance of getting cheesed in the lower leagues times three.

Herp Derp I am frustrated from my last games, lets do some leader cheese on these dumbas gold noobs
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
October 13 2011 08:47 GMT
#219
I wish Blizzard would put in place those online tournaments per region and per leagues, that way maybe people would want to play in those and see ladder as what it really is ;practice.
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
October 13 2011 09:07 GMT
#220
Blizzard did an awesome job with the match making, this might be the first ladder that I never, fucking ever have problems with. Always good opponents, and I feel that I am ranked where I should be.



People are just silly: OMG I CANT PLAY FOR FUN, I NEED MORE ACCOUNTS!!111 Zomg zomg

Grow up.
I had a good night of sleep.
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech147
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 4222
Rain 1793
GuemChi 561
FanTaSy 376
sSak 47
Bale 43
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm194
Fuzer 46
League of Legends
JimRising 626
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1149
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King265
Other Games
summit1g8012
WinterStarcraft652
C9.Mang0159
KnowMe9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick820
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream55
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki21
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2158
League of Legends
• Lourlo1318
• Rush917
• Stunt461
Other Games
• Shiphtur790
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
4h 20m
INu's Battles
5h 20m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
7h 20m
OSC
16h 35m
Replay Cast
17h 20m
OSC
1d 17h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.