• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:06
CEST 02:06
KST 09:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8187 users

Stephano contract situation - Page 66

Forum Index > SC2 General
3152 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 158 Next
Lack of content, flaming (of the French or anyone) and useless posts will be punished. Please keep it from being too inflammatory and keep discussion on-topic. -semioldguy (p.103)

Update: Please read http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=267506#1 and continue the discussion there.
VoirDire
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden1923 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1301
On September 20 2011 05:57 ellirc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 05:56 SinTio wrote:
On September 20 2011 05:52 Mijati wrote:
Complexity should have gone out of their way to make sure the contract is air tight and complied with French Law. They've had the contract for 18 days as they've said (although I'm sure there's been numerous revisions over that time), they've had plenty of time to check and make sure everything is legal, the fact that they didn't do this and the whole situation was able to come about seems to lie with them.

That being said Stephano and Mil went about this the whole wrong way, the fact they're ignoring emails to respond to complexity is outrageous and that by the sounds of it have persuaded Stephano to sign a contract with them when he wanted to go elsewhere without giving Complexity the chance to "fix" the contract.

I was delighted when I saw the announcement this morning as Stephano is a great player and getting to see him at things like MLG would have been great, it's just a shame that despite the contract being great for Stephano the whole deal has been messed up due to a few legal loop holes. Complexity really should have made sure of everything prior to this to prevent this from happened, but this whole thing has just been horrific from Stephano and Mil and they should take the blame for the drama, not complexity.


Somehow that's my biggest problem here. Stephano and coL had an agreement about the general terms of the contract. The contract itself may have been not "air tight", but that's fixable. Then Millenium comes in and goes "Hey your contract's kinda off, why don't you sign one with us". At least that's what I got out of this thread until now.

Feels kinda wrong...

You just hit the bullseye.

Indeed. Even if a contract is technically legally void in france, it's still a promise which should mean something. If not, it will seriously damage ESPORTS as a whole. I mean, they've been negotiation half a month with offers and counter-offers from coL and Mill. CoL won the bidding war and a promise was made. I can't see this another way than that mill went behind coLs back through some law wrangling. And now, they are live streaming and basically thrash talking coL, instead of replying to coLs emails and try to solve this matter privately.

I really hope stephano sides with coL on this one, I really want to like that guy.
RyanRushia
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2748 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1302
On September 20 2011 06:04 cheesemaster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:03 Kaedeleus wrote:
I think Stephano is better in France than in Millenium than an American team at the other end of the world. Of course, but it's just my opinion.

Your from france of course youd think that. Pretty much everyone in this thread who is from france is on stephano milleniums side, so im not surprised at all that you would think that.


Before you start a USA vs France flame-war here, take a look through the last 20 or so pages, there's been plenty of French posters supporting us here at compLexity, just wanted to throw that in before any flamebait is started.
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. | coL.Ryan | www.twitter.com/coL_RyanR
ZestyPickle
Profile Joined July 2011
United States104 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 21:08:54
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1303
On September 20 2011 06:07 lim1017 wrote:
I don't understand how there can be confusion as to weither or not something was signed... Seems idiot proof to me tbh.

Also isn't stephano studying in medical school or something, guy is apparently super smart, I'm sure he would know if he signed


Ya cause all doctors go to law school as well, the argument isnt whether he signed, but the legality of the contract
cheesemaster
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1975 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1304
On September 20 2011 06:04 ellirc wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:01 cheesemaster wrote:
a statement from someone at complexity in the comments underneath the article.

Everyone is assuming French law is on Millennium's side (and it may be) but don't jump to conclusions. This was a contractor contract, NOT an employment contract. The jurisdiction was Texas, USA and France has treaties that cover such international contracts. We are still investigating this, but people should not write off our situation just yet.

In addition, many spectators have doubted our willingness to follow through with legal proceedings (as I'm sure Millenium does). They need to study history more closely

http://www.gotfrag.com/css/story/37209/

Again, no decisions have been made but I don't think certain people involved with this situation are taking it seriously enough.


Ah so he wasn't working for them he was supposed to offer them a service. This should stir things up.

Yea i beleive that the french law that is supposedly on milleniums side only applies to employment contracts.

Also i was listening to the manager of Mill on his stream and the guy says that their were tons of mistakes in the contract but then admits his english is terrible, even if say the contract was translated into french for stephano / Millenium their is still the original english contract to go back on id assume.

Someone earlier was saying that if jurisdiction was under Texas Usa then millenium would be screwed and it sounds like it is, so they are probably screwed and just dont realise it yet.
Slayers_MMA The terran who beats terrans
ceaRshaf
Profile Joined August 2009
Romania4926 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1305
On September 20 2011 06:07 kigabit wrote:
I'd like to get Millenium/Stephano's side of this, but someone posted that Millenium's manager doesn't think it's worth it to respond?



Yeah, the whole community is against them and they don't think it's important to defend their image. It smells fishy.

I would really like this one to be set as an example. Players need to treat this shit seriously.
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1306
Was Stephano ever BM at any point? Some people here are saying he was, and that he was cocky at HSC3, and BM to grubby. Any links to a thread/any information on that?
memes are a dish best served dank
Bellygareth
Profile Joined October 2010
France512 Posts
September 19 2011 21:08 GMT
#1307
On September 20 2011 06:06 hypnoxide wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:04 Bellygareth wrote:
On September 20 2011 06:01 cheesemaster wrote:
a statement from someone at complexity in the comments underneath the article.

Everyone is assuming French law is on Millennium's side (and it may be) but don't jump to conclusions. This was a contractor contract, NOT an employment contract. The jurisdiction was Texas, USA and France has treaties that cover such international contracts. We are still investigating this, but people should not write off our situation just yet.

In addition, many spectators have doubted our willingness to follow through with legal proceedings (as I'm sure Millenium does). They need to study history more closely

http://www.gotfrag.com/css/story/37209/

Again, no decisions have been made but I don't think certain people involved with this situation are taking it seriously enough.



I'm pretty sure the problem is that it is arguably an employement contract for all intents and purposes. Service contracts or contractor contracts are linked to identifiable deliverables with the means to do it. Competing and playing SC2 is more an engagement of time and human power than deliverables.

So I'm pretty sure in France at least it would still be viewed as an employment contract, disguised

The biased Frenchman is going to argue with a lawyer. Lol.


I'm not biased. I don't care about Millenium which is a dead team for me. So don't go throwing this kind of arguments. I'm just explaining how things work in France for people not leaving there. And me being in a position where I have to review those sort of things daily. Without being a lawyer myself I do employ people and I have to know.
FaRess
Profile Joined September 2010
Tunisia937 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1308
On September 20 2011 06:04 meRz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:01 FaRess wrote:
On September 20 2011 05:58 meRz wrote:
On September 20 2011 05:55 Paladia wrote:
As a law student, I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea it would be to take legal action. Even if both organisations were in the same country the cost could be more than the yearly turnover of both organisations combined. Doing it internationally is simply not a real option.

This is without even considering the legal basis of the claim. I've taken a look at some esports contracts between large organisations (such as SK-Gaming) and their players and the contracts are full of major holes and flaws, to say the least. This is after they've recruited a legal firm to "take a look at it".

As such, I am 100% sure that CoL will not take any legal action, as it could very likely be the end of them.


It's not whether or not taking legal action would actually be beneficial in an econonmic manner. It's more like SOMEONE has to do it eventually because otherwise contracts will hold no importance If coL can take legal action without sinking themselves then I'd say go for it.


What you are not understanding merz is, that if you want to be serious about acontract, make a valid one in the first place, I would completely agree with you if the contrac that coL did was well written, if it was the case they could sue Millenium, and do whatever they want to do, but don't talk about importance of contract if the contract is ridiculous in the first place


I'm under the assumption that coL who has been around since 2003 is perfectly capable of designing contracts that holds true legally in the US. Don't take me for a fool please, and don't take coL for fools either because they actually have a legitimate lawyer working for them.

What you are not understanding Faress, is that just because Millenium points fingers saying the contract is not valid, doesn't really say jack shit as long as it's valid in the US.


They clearly stated that the contract is missing things like the trial period (even if the trial period is 0 days) which is mandatory in EUROPE (CEE document 1991), but that's true that millenium could be lying about that but I doubt it
YoloStar <3
MandoRelease
Profile Joined October 2010
France374 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1309
On September 20 2011 06:04 cheesemaster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:03 Kaedeleus wrote:
I think Stephano is better in France than in Millenium than an American team at the other end of the world. Of course, but it's just my opinion.

Your from france of course youd think that. Pretty much everyone in this thread who is from france is on stephano milleniums side, so im not surprised at all that you would think that.


I disagree. Everyone who made their first post in this thread are on Millenium's side. From what I see in this thread, a decent amount of French, including myself, are on Col's side.
When you play the game of drones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground. Huge IMLosirA fan.
ArnaudF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
France993 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 21:09:44
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1310
On September 20 2011 06:07 BrodiaQ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 05:51 ArnaudF wrote:
Come on coL you tried to screw Millenium and got screwed back and any law pursuit in France will fail. Get over it and stop saying that this isn't over or that the whole esport scene will be behind you and it'll be felt world-wide.

Deal with it.


Except it seems the whole esports community is on their side, besides French people it seems.


The WHOLE esports community, really? Yes that's true, I've seen reactions of each big names of SC2 stating that they are with coL.

60 pages of TeamLiquid isn't the whole esports community.
My heart aches with pain, When I see you I vomit, Die away from me
karpo
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden1998 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1311
On September 20 2011 06:07 BrodiaQ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 05:51 ArnaudF wrote:
Come on coL you tried to screw Millenium and got screwed back and any law pursuit in France will fail. Get over it and stop saying that this isn't over or that the whole esport scene will be behind you and it'll be felt world-wide.

Deal with it.


Except it seems the whole esports community is on their side, besides French people it seems.

How do you figure that? You just made it up cause it sounded good or can you prove it in any way?
Cyrak
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada536 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1312
Contracts, in the eyes of some people, only exist for convenience. I can only imagine what would happen if a team decided not to pay a player because "contracts are meaningless."
Fortune favors the prepared mind.
RageBot
Profile Joined November 2010
Israel1530 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1313
eSports drama!
ZestyPickle
Profile Joined July 2011
United States104 Posts
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1314
On September 20 2011 06:08 Bellygareth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:06 hypnoxide wrote:
On September 20 2011 06:04 Bellygareth wrote:
On September 20 2011 06:01 cheesemaster wrote:
a statement from someone at complexity in the comments underneath the article.

Everyone is assuming French law is on Millennium's side (and it may be) but don't jump to conclusions. This was a contractor contract, NOT an employment contract. The jurisdiction was Texas, USA and France has treaties that cover such international contracts. We are still investigating this, but people should not write off our situation just yet.

In addition, many spectators have doubted our willingness to follow through with legal proceedings (as I'm sure Millenium does). They need to study history more closely

http://www.gotfrag.com/css/story/37209/

Again, no decisions have been made but I don't think certain people involved with this situation are taking it seriously enough.



I'm pretty sure the problem is that it is arguably an employement contract for all intents and purposes. Service contracts or contractor contracts are linked to identifiable deliverables with the means to do it. Competing and playing SC2 is more an engagement of time and human power than deliverables.

So I'm pretty sure in France at least it would still be viewed as an employment contract, disguised

The biased Frenchman is going to argue with a lawyer. Lol.


I'm not biased. I don't care about Millenium which is a dead team for me. So don't go throwing this kind of arguments. I'm just explaining how things work in France for people not leaving there. And me being in a position where I have to review those sort of things daily. Without being a lawyer myself I do employ people and I have to know.


You cant only take french law into account though, US law still counts as well
Kaedeleus
Profile Joined September 2011
France20 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-19 21:10:22
September 19 2011 21:09 GMT
#1315
On September 20 2011 06:04 DertoQq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:03 Kaedeleus wrote:
I think Stephano is better in France in Millenium than an American team at the other end of the world. Of course, but it's just my opinion.


Why ? He could play with better players, he could play in bigger tournaments. Millenium is keeping him from big things I think.


You think the players are the best in CoL?
JackDanger
Profile Joined August 2011
United States37 Posts
September 19 2011 21:10 GMT
#1316
If not Complexity here, at some point there will have to be legal action in one of these cases. Apparently contracts aren't worth the paper they're printed on in the SC2 scene, and that needs to change for any sort of legitimacy to take root.
zarepath
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1626 Posts
September 19 2011 21:10 GMT
#1317
He wasn't BM to grubby, he just didn't recognize him.
"Your efforts you put in will never betray you." - Flash | "If I'm not good enough, I don't wanna win." - Naniwa
marttorn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Norway5211 Posts
September 19 2011 21:10 GMT
#1318
On September 20 2011 06:09 Kaedeleus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:04 DertoQq wrote:
On September 20 2011 06:03 Kaedeleus wrote:
I think Stephano is better in France in Millenium than an American team at the other end of the world. Of course, but it's just my opinion.


Why ? He could play with better players, he could play in bigger tournaments. Millenium is keeping him from big things I think.


You think the players are the best CoL?


Most

Valuable

Player

figure it out
memes are a dish best served dank
ZestyPickle
Profile Joined July 2011
United States104 Posts
September 19 2011 21:10 GMT
#1319
On September 20 2011 06:09 Kaedeleus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2011 06:04 DertoQq wrote:
On September 20 2011 06:03 Kaedeleus wrote:
I think Stephano is better in France in Millenium than an American team at the other end of the world. Of course, but it's just my opinion.


Why ? He could play with better players, he could play in bigger tournaments. Millenium is keeping him from big things I think.


You think the players are the best CoL?


no but MVP players that he would have access to are pretty fucking good
exShikari
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia237 Posts
September 19 2011 21:10 GMT
#1320
On September 20 2011 06:07 kigabit wrote:
I'd like to get Millenium/Stephano's side of this, but someone posted that Millenium's manager doesn't think it's worth it to respond?

Yeah they Millennium and Stephano both weren't responding to coL's emails. Hell, they weren't even reading them. Pretty unprofessional on Millennium's behalf.
It is, in the end, whatever the Hell I want it to be, And when I'm through with it, it's gonna blow a hole, This wide, straight through the worlds own idea of itself. They're throwing bottles at your house. Come on, lets go break their arms.
Prev 1 64 65 66 67 68 158 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 135
SpeCial 109
CosmosSc2 49
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1447
Rain 1266
Artosis 633
910 55
Bale 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm122
League of Legends
Doublelift3203
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox166
Other Games
summit1g9253
shahzam586
JimRising 361
C9.Mang0307
PiGStarcraft258
Maynarde120
Vindicta15
Liquid`Ken8
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick812
BasetradeTV180
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream26
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 110
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP55
• davetesta28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21338
Other Games
• imaqtpie865
• Shiphtur206
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 54m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 54m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 54m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.