• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:16
CEST 09:16
KST 16:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8234 users

HoN Developer: Pirates killed LAN - Page 37

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 48 Next All
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
June 23 2011 15:21 GMT
#721
On June 24 2011 00:04 Gingerninja wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 23 2011 23:55 lorkac wrote:
On June 23 2011 23:42 Gingerninja wrote:
All I know, is that I live in Japan right now... So does my Friend. I come from Europe, He comes from Canada.. I can't play SC2 against him, either online or offline, despite living close enough I could probably hit his front door with a book from my balcony. LAN would solve that problem, so would Region free online. Blizzard aren't providing either, and it can't be to keep the online experience good for people, because I get better connection from here to Europe than I do from the UK to Europe. So that excuse is total bollocks too.


Is Blizzard's choice to not have LAN a good idea? Maybe, maybe not. That's subjective.

Is Blizzard crazy for worrying about piracy? No they're not.

I wish they were harsher on pirates through punishment (financial punishment) instead of making their game more secure. But that's me personally, I'm not Blizzard. I'm not the one shelling out the money to make a game. I'm just the consumer.


I'm just a consumer, and my enjoyment of the product is being totally stopped dead in it's tracks by blizzards stance on that issue, in what is an industry standard feature not being present.
Sure they have every right to worry about piracy, but as a legit customer (for every blizzard game I own.. every steam game, every console game.. I don't even use an R4 card or w/e the hell it's called on the DS all my games are legit. ) I reserve the right to be annoyed when a feature is denied to me because someone else is stealing. Not my problem, I paid you my money, yet I can't play the "Multiplayer" with a friend, who lives next to me. No amount of sales talk can sidestep that fact. Me (a legit customer) and my friend (another legit customer) cannot play the "Multiplayer" option together. Either Online or Offline.


nation is bombed by terrorist.

airport security goes up.

Innocent passenger is annoyed by heightened security.

Is the fault on the airport for adapting to cultural norms, or is the fault on the terrorist for changing cultural norms?
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
ODKStevez
Profile Joined February 2011
Ireland1225 Posts
June 23 2011 15:22 GMT
#722
I guess this is slightly understandable but is it as bad as they say? =o
Luppa <3
splinter9
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada172 Posts
June 23 2011 15:23 GMT
#723
On June 24 2011 00:12 Treemonkeys wrote:
It doesn't matter how much money Blizzard has overall. Starcraft 2 has to be profitable by itself for them to continue developing it while being responsible to their investors. "Blizzard has enough money" is a foolish argument. They aren't going to start developing out of charity because they make a ton of money off of WoW.

Blizzard having enough money matters significantly.Do you think the bussiness model for a small indie company is the same for blizzard...please . With money you can make more of it (and potentially lose) My family runs a deli, we give free coffee to all our customers, we'll even bring it straight to the good customers without asking. Its an extra cost to our store and there is no reason for us to do it, but it keeps customers happy and they in turn keep coming to our store even if our prices are quite high. 20 years ago there was no way our store could of done this it would of cost us too much, even though it would of been something we would of loved to do. Blizzard is in a position to be able to do things like this with they're company, they choose not to and thats they're choice but, you can only gauge your customers for so long before they get sick of it, especially when the product and service is mediocre. SC2,WOW are all replaceable.

take a look at IKEA they have TONS of services that "lose" there company money yet they are still one of the most successful companies out there.
Johnnybb
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark486 Posts
June 23 2011 15:25 GMT
#724
I actually never thought about that. Makes more sense to me now, but I still don't think we should suffer for other peoples crimes.
Demonace34
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2493 Posts
June 23 2011 15:28 GMT
#725
On June 24 2011 00:23 splinter9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:12 Treemonkeys wrote:
It doesn't matter how much money Blizzard has overall. Starcraft 2 has to be profitable by itself for them to continue developing it while being responsible to their investors. "Blizzard has enough money" is a foolish argument. They aren't going to start developing out of charity because they make a ton of money off of WoW.

Blizzard having enough money matters significantly.Do you think the bussiness model for a small indie company is the same for blizzard...please . With money you can make more of it (and potentially lose) My family runs a deli, we give free coffee to all our customers, we'll even bring it straight to the good customers without asking. Its an extra cost to our store and there is no reason for us to do it, but it keeps customers happy and they in turn keep coming to our store even if our prices are quite high. 20 years ago there was no way our store could of done this it would of cost us too much, even though it would of been something we would of loved to do. Blizzard is in a position to be able to do things like this with they're company, they choose not to and thats they're choice but, you can only gauge your customers for so long before they get sick of it, especially when the product and service is mediocre. SC2,WOW are all replaceable.

take a look at IKEA they have TONS of services that "lose" there company money yet they are still one of the most successful companies out there.


Well Blizzard took the stand that LAN would just be too costly to them due to piracy. Instead, everyone is just going to have to deal with B.NET 2.0 lag and without having cross server. I would love to have LAN and have lagless offline tournaments, but the problem is that having LAN in Blizzards eyes gives up too much for too little in return.
NaNiwa|IdrA|HuK|iNcontroL|Jinro|NonY|Day[9]|PuMa|HerO|MMA|NesTea|NaDa|Boxer|Ryung|
splinter9
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada172 Posts
June 23 2011 15:31 GMT
#726
On June 24 2011 00:28 Demonace34 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:23 splinter9 wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:12 Treemonkeys wrote:
It doesn't matter how much money Blizzard has overall. Starcraft 2 has to be profitable by itself for them to continue developing it while being responsible to their investors. "Blizzard has enough money" is a foolish argument. They aren't going to start developing out of charity because they make a ton of money off of WoW.

Blizzard having enough money matters significantly.Do you think the bussiness model for a small indie company is the same for blizzard...please . With money you can make more of it (and potentially lose) My family runs a deli, we give free coffee to all our customers, we'll even bring it straight to the good customers without asking. Its an extra cost to our store and there is no reason for us to do it, but it keeps customers happy and they in turn keep coming to our store even if our prices are quite high. 20 years ago there was no way our store could of done this it would of cost us too much, even though it would of been something we would of loved to do. Blizzard is in a position to be able to do things like this with they're company, they choose not to and thats they're choice but, you can only gauge your customers for so long before they get sick of it, especially when the product and service is mediocre. SC2,WOW are all replaceable.

take a look at IKEA they have TONS of services that "lose" there company money yet they are still one of the most successful companies out there.


Well Blizzard took the stand that LAN would just be too costly to them due to piracy. Instead, everyone is just going to have to deal with B.NET 2.0 lag and without having cross server. I would love to have LAN and have lagless offline tournaments, but the problem is that having LAN in Blizzards eyes gives up too much for too little in return.

Its fair blizzard took that stance cause it would be a healthy bit of coin they are losing. I just think there are other place you can skrimp and save on. Especially when LAN was one of the big reasons the preceding game was so successful .
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 15:36:26
June 23 2011 15:31 GMT
#727
On June 24 2011 00:21 Zarahtra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:14 Tyree wrote:
A company should only fear piracy if they are producing bad products.



So let me get this straight, if you make a quality product less people will pirate it? Its the other way around

Look at various torrent sites ( i know you know them) and see what the most popular games and movies are pirated, it is usually high profile games that cost millions to make.


The most popular game to get a N64 emulator for are OoT and Mario 64, how many people do you think tried to snag a Superman 64 rom? Only the few demented people who wanted to see just how horrible it is.


I agree that it is sad we cant have LAN, but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

My point is, if the product is good enough, people will buy it.

A lot of people might download it, don't get me wrong, but if they were ever going to buy the game, they would likely do so even if they downloaded it.
If they would never have bought the game no matter, then you've just reached out to one more customer, which *might* buy it, but in the least(assuming the product is good) have a positive attitude towards the game/company when talking about it.

So yes, a good product might be downloaded more, but that's not really something to fear, while a bad one has a good reason to fear it.


The problem with the logic "They wouldn't buy it anyway" is that the only reason people have the thinking of "I won't buy this game I'm playing" is because pirate culture both A.) Exists and B.) is not punished harshly enough.

If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

I would be more aggressive, less compromising, and less friendly than Blizzard is because my personality believes that if you punish people for doing something wrong, in time they will stop doing it en mass.

But I'm not Blizzard. Blizzard would rather try nicer fixes like no LAN than simply spreading viruses, malwares and hack accounts.

Because of Blizzard's lax punishment system--people are willing to say "I don't want to buy this game because I'm going to pirate it anyway." Why? Because the punishment for pirating is almost zero.

Edit:
When I said that "If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading." what I meant was that I would sue them, not for profit, but for punishment.

I would force them to give everything they have. Every shirt, DVD, Game, savings, their bed, their bed frame, their posters, the cans in their recycling bin, etc...

The point of the sue would not be to recoup losses, it would be to punish stealing. Punish.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
Lodgeinator
Profile Joined March 2011
England8 Posts
June 23 2011 15:34 GMT
#728
If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

This is very illigal.
splinter9
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada172 Posts
June 23 2011 15:34 GMT
#729
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:21 Zarahtra wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:14 Tyree wrote:
A company should only fear piracy if they are producing bad products.



So let me get this straight, if you make a quality product less people will pirate it? Its the other way around

Look at various torrent sites ( i know you know them) and see what the most popular games and movies are pirated, it is usually high profile games that cost millions to make.


The most popular game to get a N64 emulator for are OoT and Mario 64, how many people do you think tried to snag a Superman 64 rom? Only the few demented people who wanted to see just how horrible it is.


I agree that it is sad we cant have LAN, but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

My point is, if the product is good enough, people will buy it.

A lot of people might download it, don't get me wrong, but if they were ever going to buy the game, they would likely do so even if they downloaded it.
If they would never have bought the game no matter, then you've just reached out to one more customer, which *might* buy it, but in the least(assuming the product is good) have a positive attitude towards the game/company when talking about it.

So yes, a good product might be downloaded more, but that's not really something to fear, while a bad one has a good reason to fear it.


The problem with the logic "They wouldn't buy it anyway" is that the only reason people have the thinking of "I won't buy this game I'm playing" is because pirate culture both A.) Exists and B.) is not punished harshly enough.

If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

I would be more aggressive, less compromising, and less friendly than Blizzard is because my personality believes that if you punish people for doing something wrong, in time they will stop doing it en mass.

But I'm not Blizzard. Blizzard would rather try nicer fixes like no LAN than simply spreading viruses, malwares and hack accounts.

Because of Blizzard's lax punishment system--people are willing to say "I don't want to buy this game because I'm going to pirate it anyway." Why? Because the punishment for pirating is almost zero.

The music industry tried this and it didn't work.
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
June 23 2011 15:39 GMT
#730
On June 24 2011 00:34 Lodgeinator wrote:
Show nested quote +
If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

This is very illigal.


Yes. I agree. Torrent sites are very illegal.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
lorkac
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2297 Posts
June 23 2011 15:41 GMT
#731
On June 24 2011 00:34 splinter9 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:21 Zarahtra wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:14 Tyree wrote:
A company should only fear piracy if they are producing bad products.



So let me get this straight, if you make a quality product less people will pirate it? Its the other way around

Look at various torrent sites ( i know you know them) and see what the most popular games and movies are pirated, it is usually high profile games that cost millions to make.


The most popular game to get a N64 emulator for are OoT and Mario 64, how many people do you think tried to snag a Superman 64 rom? Only the few demented people who wanted to see just how horrible it is.


I agree that it is sad we cant have LAN, but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

My point is, if the product is good enough, people will buy it.

A lot of people might download it, don't get me wrong, but if they were ever going to buy the game, they would likely do so even if they downloaded it.
If they would never have bought the game no matter, then you've just reached out to one more customer, which *might* buy it, but in the least(assuming the product is good) have a positive attitude towards the game/company when talking about it.

So yes, a good product might be downloaded more, but that's not really something to fear, while a bad one has a good reason to fear it.


The problem with the logic "They wouldn't buy it anyway" is that the only reason people have the thinking of "I won't buy this game I'm playing" is because pirate culture both A.) Exists and B.) is not punished harshly enough.

If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

I would be more aggressive, less compromising, and less friendly than Blizzard is because my personality believes that if you punish people for doing something wrong, in time they will stop doing it en mass.

But I'm not Blizzard. Blizzard would rather try nicer fixes like no LAN than simply spreading viruses, malwares and hack accounts.

Because of Blizzard's lax punishment system--people are willing to say "I don't want to buy this game because I'm going to pirate it anyway." Why? Because the punishment for pirating is almost zero.

The music industry tried this and it didn't work.


Actually, the music industry never tried to fill torrent sites with as many harmful viruses as they could. They never got on Napster and started to post several hundred thousand songs that contained viruses just to punish napster users.
By the truth we are undone. Life is a dream. Tis waking that kills us. He who robs us of our dreams robs us of our life --Orlando: A Biography
MaGariShun
Profile Joined May 2010
Austria305 Posts
June 23 2011 15:43 GMT
#732
Nope, Sony put rootkits on their CDs instead. No need to download that stuff from torrents
Angry_Fetus
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada444 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 15:44:47
June 23 2011 15:44 GMT
#733
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

I would be more aggressive, less compromising, and less friendly than Blizzard is because my personality believes that if you punish people for doing something wrong, in time they will stop doing it en mass.

But I'm not Blizzard. Blizzard would rather try nicer fixes like no LAN than simply spreading viruses, malwares and hack accounts.


How foolish are you? You honestly think that a massive corporation like Blizzard Entertainment would be able to spread malicious code and not get in trouble with the law? They aren't vigilantes who are going to risk getting in a huge class action lawsuit for some petty revenge. Have some common sense.
shalafi
Profile Joined July 2008
394 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-23 15:46:33
June 23 2011 15:45 GMT
#734
On June 24 2011 00:41 lorkac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:34 splinter9 wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:21 Zarahtra wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:14 Tyree wrote:
A company should only fear piracy if they are producing bad products.



So let me get this straight, if you make a quality product less people will pirate it? Its the other way around

Look at various torrent sites ( i know you know them) and see what the most popular games and movies are pirated, it is usually high profile games that cost millions to make.


The most popular game to get a N64 emulator for are OoT and Mario 64, how many people do you think tried to snag a Superman 64 rom? Only the few demented people who wanted to see just how horrible it is.


I agree that it is sad we cant have LAN, but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

My point is, if the product is good enough, people will buy it.

A lot of people might download it, don't get me wrong, but if they were ever going to buy the game, they would likely do so even if they downloaded it.
If they would never have bought the game no matter, then you've just reached out to one more customer, which *might* buy it, but in the least(assuming the product is good) have a positive attitude towards the game/company when talking about it.

So yes, a good product might be downloaded more, but that's not really something to fear, while a bad one has a good reason to fear it.


The problem with the logic "They wouldn't buy it anyway" is that the only reason people have the thinking of "I won't buy this game I'm playing" is because pirate culture both A.) Exists and B.) is not punished harshly enough.

If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

I would be more aggressive, less compromising, and less friendly than Blizzard is because my personality believes that if you punish people for doing something wrong, in time they will stop doing it en mass.

But I'm not Blizzard. Blizzard would rather try nicer fixes like no LAN than simply spreading viruses, malwares and hack accounts.

Because of Blizzard's lax punishment system--people are willing to say "I don't want to buy this game because I'm going to pirate it anyway." Why? Because the punishment for pirating is almost zero.

The music industry tried this and it didn't work.


Actually, the music industry never tried to fill torrent sites with as many harmful viruses as they could. They never got on Napster and started to post several hundred thousand songs that contained viruses just to punish napster users.


They would if they could (after all, they wouldn't be doing it themselves, just some paid hackers*).

The thing is, comments, ratings, anti-virus, trusted users and release groups prevent this from being viable. There have been tons of malicious releases, but they get easily filtered.

*They can get a lot of bad advertising and maybe even get sued if the hackers betray them, though.
Yaotzin
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa4280 Posts
June 23 2011 15:50 GMT
#735
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:
If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

That would be illegal.

It also wouldn't work, at all. Music companies already tried filling up sites with junk downloads. As always, the scene evolved and it now doesn't work at all.
Lodgeinator
Profile Joined March 2011
England8 Posts
June 23 2011 15:50 GMT
#736
Yes. I agree. Torrent sites are very illegal.

...The spreading of viruses is very illigal, if blizzard got caught then they would face penalties.

Also torrent sites are not illigal at all.
lofung
Profile Joined October 2010
Hong Kong298 Posts
June 23 2011 15:50 GMT
#737
thats really like banning sex just because sex will transmit AIDS
How do you counter 13 carriers? Well first of all you gave me brain cancer. -Tasteless
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
June 23 2011 15:52 GMT
#738
On June 24 2011 00:31 lorkac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 24 2011 00:21 Zarahtra wrote:
On June 24 2011 00:14 Tyree wrote:
A company should only fear piracy if they are producing bad products.



So let me get this straight, if you make a quality product less people will pirate it? Its the other way around

Look at various torrent sites ( i know you know them) and see what the most popular games and movies are pirated, it is usually high profile games that cost millions to make.


The most popular game to get a N64 emulator for are OoT and Mario 64, how many people do you think tried to snag a Superman 64 rom? Only the few demented people who wanted to see just how horrible it is.


I agree that it is sad we cant have LAN, but the reasoning makes perfect sense.

My point is, if the product is good enough, people will buy it.

A lot of people might download it, don't get me wrong, but if they were ever going to buy the game, they would likely do so even if they downloaded it.
If they would never have bought the game no matter, then you've just reached out to one more customer, which *might* buy it, but in the least(assuming the product is good) have a positive attitude towards the game/company when talking about it.

So yes, a good product might be downloaded more, but that's not really something to fear, while a bad one has a good reason to fear it.


The problem with the logic "They wouldn't buy it anyway" is that the only reason people have the thinking of "I won't buy this game I'm playing" is because pirate culture both A.) Exists and B.) is not punished harshly enough.

That's an assumption, which you have no way of backing up, not to mention it adds nothing to the subject.
If A) the pirated culture didn't exist, then... we're in a different world and prices would possibly be lower, companies would likely need to spend more money on advertisement, etc etc but in the end it doesn't really matter, that's not the reality we live in.
If B) that's atleast not really a world I'd want to live in. Punishing harsher would require a lot more privacy loss(which is already getting extinct) over the internet.

There are however toooons of research on the "lost sales" subject. Quick google search resulted fx in this: Linkie(this one mind is music) which show calculated losses are grossly exaggerated. There are plenty of more detailed ones that have been made over the years.

It is my believe these industries(especially the music one) should rather embrace technology and work with it, rather than pissing in the costumers faces and pointing in a random direction and yelling "monsters, they be stealing joo".

PS. Gl making a buisness with that attitude. Alienating a huge portion of possible costumers/friends of your customers is a good buisness move.
Spacedude
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark161 Posts
June 23 2011 15:55 GMT
#739
On June 24 2011 00:34 Lodgeinator wrote:
Show nested quote +
If I were Blizzard, I'd not be scared to pirate games and simply sue every person who downloaded the game, every website that tried posting the game up for downloading. I would then hire hackers to create viruses that destroys and erases hard drives and put those up as free downloads on torrent sites so that people who do download get viruses that harm the entire computer maliciously. I would infest every single torrent site with as many viruses as I can to make it so harmful and dangerous to download "free" content that no one would download anymore.

This is very illigal.


Jesus christ. Let's just operate chips into people's brains instead. It's people with psychopathic opinions like his we should be afraid of. Not pirates. Open your eyes to the real threat here people.
Protoss win, Protoss OP. Terran win, Terran OP. Zerg win, Zerg OP. Less whine, more gg.
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
June 23 2011 15:59 GMT
#740
Pirating is a loophole in the supply demand chain. Its a way of getting something for free and side stepping the whole trade arrangement. Its going to be abused and taken to the fullest extent every time. No consumer in the right mind pays more then they have to, and with pirating they can pay zero.

The whole idea of people as saints and buying a game because they have decided that the developer deserves the money after using their software for "x" number of hours is bullshit at best.

Pirating is wrong, but due to the lopsided power distribution of the consumer and supply, pirates by and large can get away with anything under the general idea that because tracking them down is a nuisance logistically and a nightmare legally, they can do as they please. Then they fabricate some pseudo-soapbox stand on free speech or some shit and try to alleviate the burden of responsibility from the conscience and place it squarely on the developers for not working hard enough.
Prev 1 35 36 37 38 39 48 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 469
actioN 451
Leta 373
sSak 44
Bale 31
sorry 30
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Noble 15
Dota 2
febbydoto15
League of Legends
JimRising 538
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss347
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King150
Other Games
summit1g7184
ceh9442
olofmeister307
Happy271
Sick167
Trikslyr24
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick492
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast40
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2228
League of Legends
• Stunt451
Other Games
• Shiphtur469
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 44m
Patches Events
8h 44m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.