• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:16
CEST 07:16
KST 14:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7982 users

NASL a popularity contest? - Page 14

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
malphigian
Profile Joined September 2010
United States68 Posts
February 22 2011 02:34 GMT
#261
On February 22 2011 11:19 jalstar wrote:
Destiny says he won't play due to not being in a team, so I doubt he encouraged viewers to spam votes.

His votes don't matter, he's not gonna participate, discuss the players who will actually play.


To be fair to Destiny (and I often find him hugely annoying, so this is hard for me) he's on his stream right now saying "I don't know who is linking and telling people to vote for me, but stop it. Vote for me if you want, but don't spam links, cut it out".
goswser
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3548 Posts
February 22 2011 02:35 GMT
#262
On February 22 2011 11:29 bLuR wrote:
Destiny is clearly the most popular Starcraft 2 player in NA

If destiny has the most votes than this is obviously a horrible way to determine who should get to participate in the NASL.
say you were born into a jungle indian tribe where food was scarce...would you run around from teepee to teepee stealing meat scraps after a day lazying around doing nothing except warming urself by a fire that you didn't even make yourself? -rekrul
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
February 22 2011 02:36 GMT
#263
On February 22 2011 11:28 MonsieurGrimm wrote:
Mod should put Incontrol's quote at the top of the thread to clear up the level of misconception in here.

And idiocy, after looking after some other comments.

Did it myself.

I by no means am trying to make NASL look bad, but my honest (and I think fairly logical) interpretation of how players get into NASL was that it's a popularity contest. I mean, the quotes from NASL.tv say it almost verbatim.

Now I'm just confused.

Is it basically invite-only with popularity playing a role in the invites? If so, how else are invites determined? How can this avoid becoming purely subjective?

If 16 spots came from a big open tourney, and 32 came from invites, I don't think anyone would be... nervous, shall I say.
TheRPGAddict
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1403 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-22 02:43:02
February 22 2011 02:37 GMT
#264
Imo the league needs many more open spots. If not, the system just becomes too exclusive and repetitive, with little chance of dark horses overcoming.

Edit: More concerned with this for the future seasons, not necessarily the inaugural season.
mtvacuum
Profile Joined January 2010
United States979 Posts
February 22 2011 02:38 GMT
#265
Piqliq is number 1 now.
Strut
Profile Joined June 2010
United States182 Posts
February 22 2011 02:38 GMT
#266
the number one priority of this new league is to succeed.. it makes sense to get the most popular players in it. that said, some sort of mix or qualifiers is good too. who knows what they will do after the few seasons when this league is a major success. its not something to worry about people.
ImHuko
Profile Joined December 2010
United States996 Posts
February 22 2011 02:39 GMT
#267
A huge league ran by pro gamers just won't turn out as good as a MLG/GSL/SC:BW without a outside person running it. This is like the same as EG Masters Cup, of course EG is going to be in it.

Having a tournament ran by pro gamers, will always result in a popularity contest. Do you really think Incontrol is going to go up to LzGamer and be like, "Sorry man, Avilo took your spot". It just won't happen.
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-22 02:40:37
February 22 2011 02:40 GMT
#268
On February 22 2011 11:33 Crushgroove wrote:
No. Just... No. NO ONE EVER SAID THEY WOULD ONLY PICK THE PEOPLE WITH THE MOST VOTES.

Just says it increases their chances... which is smart. This is a business venture... and in order to even HOPE to turn a profit, they must get viewers. More popular players == more viewers. I don't think this thread is merited at all.


I agree, It's good business. The problem is today's society of getting Lady Gaga's video to 100m views before Britney does. I wouldn't be surprised if i woke up to see a player with 50,000 votes tomorrow.
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
goswser
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3548 Posts
February 22 2011 02:40 GMT
#269
On February 22 2011 10:53 SlapMySalami wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2011 10:43 Lz wrote:
On February 22 2011 10:17 avilo wrote:
As a player like everyone else that has been practicing his ass off for ages, I really want to get into this league like the other hardcore people trying to be progamers...and that is one thing that MLG does in fact do very well - equal opportunity for every player to play in it and win cash.

Funny fact, I beat EGLZgamer at MLG DC. Now, to people that don't watch much, if you'd be guessing who would win something like that, would you guess me or the person with EG in their name?

If I had needed to be voted in to MLG to be able to participate, something like that would never be able to happen, as I'd automatically be written off since I could be a player that is not popular or well known at the time.

This does not go for just me obviously, but imagine players even less known than myself...that could be better...

To do this NASL, which I want to get into, I suddenly feel like I need to take more time out of practice now to get on twitter, facebook, stream 20x more, and basically everything and anything that can get me more exposure =/!

Replay pack in the works now

Funny fact, my tvt is nothing to brag about beating... shall I list the people who I have beat at MLG's? ...


Avilo what have you actually won

z33k.com's master tournament or something?

What has Destiny won? Shit, mondragon got posted there by nasl.tv, and I doubt hes even played starcraft 2 since beta. I would wager $100 that I could beat him....
say you were born into a jungle indian tribe where food was scarce...would you run around from teepee to teepee stealing meat scraps after a day lazying around doing nothing except warming urself by a fire that you didn't even make yourself? -rekrul
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
February 22 2011 02:42 GMT
#270
On February 22 2011 11:40 Newguy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2011 10:53 SlapMySalami wrote:
On February 22 2011 10:43 Lz wrote:
On February 22 2011 10:17 avilo wrote:
As a player like everyone else that has been practicing his ass off for ages, I really want to get into this league like the other hardcore people trying to be progamers...and that is one thing that MLG does in fact do very well - equal opportunity for every player to play in it and win cash.

Funny fact, I beat EGLZgamer at MLG DC. Now, to people that don't watch much, if you'd be guessing who would win something like that, would you guess me or the person with EG in their name?

If I had needed to be voted in to MLG to be able to participate, something like that would never be able to happen, as I'd automatically be written off since I could be a player that is not popular or well known at the time.

This does not go for just me obviously, but imagine players even less known than myself...that could be better...

To do this NASL, which I want to get into, I suddenly feel like I need to take more time out of practice now to get on twitter, facebook, stream 20x more, and basically everything and anything that can get me more exposure =/!

Replay pack in the works now

Funny fact, my tvt is nothing to brag about beating... shall I list the people who I have beat at MLG's? ...


Avilo what have you actually won

z33k.com's master tournament or something?

What has Destiny won? Shit, mondragon got posted there by nasl.tv, and I doubt hes even played starcraft 2 since beta. I would wager $100 that I could beat him....


Hasn't Mondragon been playing on ladder somewhat? I think you're exaggerating a bit too much
Life is Good.
Brotatolol
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1742 Posts
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#271
Wtf at PiQLiQ LOL
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#272
ROFL PIQLIQ
TL+ Member
PoopLord
Profile Joined May 2010
537 Posts
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#273
Piqliq and Destiny? I'm so confused lol.
ImHuko
Profile Joined December 2010
United States996 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-22 02:45:12
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#274
Vote - Clear cookies, Refresh, Vote again:D
Fa1nT
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3423 Posts
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#275
Destiny has a lot of fans, which makes sense

Piqliq? Cheating the votes somehow.
LoveSponge
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia237 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-22 02:45:27
February 22 2011 02:43 GMT
#276
Lol looks like the voting system is being botted.@PiQLiQ

I hope they're ready to combat all the botting thats bound to happen.
Alou
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States3748 Posts
February 22 2011 02:44 GMT
#277
System for voting is obviously messed up. Shame. Hope some of the 50 spots go to qualifiers. Would be nice to see like 5 of them be given to people who qualify.
Life is Good.
Brad
Profile Joined April 2010
2754 Posts
February 22 2011 02:44 GMT
#278
The voting is going so pringles.
Lee Jae Dong proved that a focus on mechanics and execution could solve problems in the StarCraft game strategy.
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
February 22 2011 02:45 GMT
#279
On February 22 2011 11:43 Fa1nT wrote:
Destiny has a lot of fans, which makes sense

Piqliq? Cheating the votes somehow.


who doesn't like piqliq? he is the cheesiest mother fucker and he is good at it
TL+ Member
Cull
Profile Joined September 2010
Korea (South)40 Posts
February 22 2011 02:45 GMT
#280
There is obvious cheating on this system. Piqliq is getting around 100 votes a second. I don't understand how they didn't forsee blatant cheating with this system.
Prev 1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 580
Hyuk 467
Leta 86
Icarus 10
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm221
League of Legends
JimRising 850
Other Games
summit1g9526
WinterStarcraft443
Mew2King64
ArmadaUGS48
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1005
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream154
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2250
League of Legends
• Rush1359
• Lourlo1004
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 44m
INu's Battles
6h 44m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
9h 44m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 44m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 44m
Replay Cast
17h 44m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 5h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.