• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:32
CEST 18:32
KST 01:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8521 users

ADD and Starcraft? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
B-Wong
Profile Joined October 2010
United States240 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 07:09:24
February 13 2011 07:08 GMT
#61
I think if anything, ADD might help in Starcraft. There's so many things to do that it occupies your mind entirely. In the beginning? Constantly check scouting, make sure drone timings are correct, then teching, watching gas, watching food, army management, etc. Of course this may be an overstatement to say it might help but I don't think ADD would affect gameplay at all, really.
tealc
Profile Joined October 2010
109 Posts
February 13 2011 07:19 GMT
#62
On February 13 2011 15:49 XXXSmOke wrote:
ADD can help your starcraft

A typical syndrome of ADD is shifting thoughts constantly, which can help my brain process quick things fast in starcraft. However in school this is not so good o.0

No it can't. It's absolutely ridiculous how so many people claim this without actually knowing anything about ADD. For me it's the opposite, I get extremely easily "bored" while playing which causes my mind to start this internal monologue which constantly jumps from a subject to another, which then disrupts me from playing the game. It's hard to keep up with larva injects and overlod timings, while constantly thinking of these non-starcraft related things. ADD is not being able to think fast, it's about not being able to concentrate on thoughts over a period of time, which is one of the most important aspects of starcraft.
AimForTheBushes
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1760 Posts
February 13 2011 07:22 GMT
#63
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


Well, we can all come to 1 of 2 conclusions from this opinion.
1. You are right, and by definition you're confirming yourself to be a very lazy person, as well as spitting in the face of thousands of doctors and researchers (read: people much more qualified than you on the subject) who have studied this. Where is your thesis on this ground-breaking subject? I haven't read any published articles lately on how this is a complete fraud. Surely you have something to back that claim up?
2. You're wrong, and what you're saying is borderline hate-speak on people with this condition (I have a hard time believing you've been diagnosed with this if you have such a negative view about it). As someone with moderate-to-severe ADHD, I graduated at the top of my class, am getting my Pharm.D., and passed the qualification testing into Mensa, so by no means do I lack intelligence or work ethic (I held a full-time job while going to school). However, there are times when someone is talking to me, and the second that they finish talking I've already forgot what they've said because I couldn't focus. How exactly does that translate to me being "very lazy"?

On topic: In my experience, ADHD can benefit the individual in certain circumstances requiring doing many actions at once, such as certain video games, and playing drums. (Compared to the normal struggle of sitting down for 3 hours to study or write a paper..or do an office job, etc.)
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
February 13 2011 07:25 GMT
#64
On February 13 2011 16:22 AimForTheBushes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


Well, we can all come to 1 of 2 conclusions from this opinion.
1. You are right, and by definition you're confirming yourself to be a very lazy person, as well as spitting in the face of thousands of doctors and researchers (read: people much more qualified than you on the subject) who have studied this. Where is your thesis on this ground-breaking subject? I haven't read any published articles lately on how this is a complete fraud. Surely you have something to back that claim up?
2. You're wrong, and what you're saying is borderline hate-speak on people with this condition (I have a hard time believing you've been diagnosed with this if you have such a negative view about it). As someone with moderate-to-severe ADHD, I graduated at the top of my class, am getting my Pharm.D., and passed the qualification testing into Mensa, so by no means do I lack intelligence or work ethic (I held a full-time job while going to school). However, there are times when someone is talking to me, and the second that they finish talking I've already forgot what they've said because I couldn't focus. How exactly does that translate to me being "very lazy"?

On topic: In my experience, ADHD can benefit the individual in certain circumstances requiring doing many actions at once, such as certain video games, and playing drums. (Compared to the normal struggle of sitting down for 3 hours to study or write a paper..or do an office job, etc.)


Too bad graduating at the top of your class didn't teach you to read past the first post before you judge.
It is what it is...
SlapMySalami
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1060 Posts
February 13 2011 07:27 GMT
#65
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.



^I been diagnosed too it took 10 minutes and a talk with a psychiatrist it is a little BS.

Anyone who is "ADD" or "ADHD" is just a procrastinator and doesn't feel like doing the chores of life. Starcraft 2 is not a chore and is easy to devote your attention to
marineking will u huk my bigtt1 ilu
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 08:01:36
February 13 2011 07:59 GMT
#66
EDIT: Too much hate to ADD/ADHD. forget it.
Don't feel like it's a good idea to post it, pming the topic poster.
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
ALittleLuk
Profile Joined December 2010
United States13 Posts
February 13 2011 15:12 GMT
#67
A lot of misdiagnosed problems stems from poor diet, exercise and/or sleep.
Drinking too much soda and not enough water can cause physical and mental problems but people see soda as relatively harmless. Not to mention coffee.

A innocent short(8oz) brewed Starbucks coffee that has more caffeine then 2 redbulls. And yet I see people leaving Starbucks with even bigger drinks. All that sugar and caffeine wouldn't be a problem if you could spend that energy being physical in lieu of sitting in front of a computer or TV or classroom or desk. Instead it gives you a high then you crash, then you drink more for a high, then you crash. It creates a deficiency that isn't fixed by sleep or more caffeine as well as the fact that caffeine causes you to pee more, so the water you retain from the drink isn't as much from a comparable sized water.

Same with bad food intake.
You can't really eat your McDonalds or other high sugar/high fat foods without exercising and then wonder why you feel up or down, tired or wired, attentive or disinterested, or any multitude of weirdness that is translated into your SC2 play.

I'm not saying its the fix for everyone's condition, but I bet a majority of people would feel more physically and mentally regulated and have less ADD/ADHD symptoms by getting a bit of exercise, having a better diet and getting better sleep.

All the little things that you don't do to help yourself really does add up!

A few symptoms of too much caffeine.
* anxious
* excitable
* restless
* dizzy
* irritable
* unable to concentrate
* gastrointestinal (GI) aches
* headaches that don't seem to go away
* trouble with sleeping
"I don't know what I haven't learnt." - Random Quote
Shadowcaster
Profile Joined February 2011
23 Posts
February 13 2011 15:17 GMT
#68
2650 Master Protoss....

My ADDHD has a huge impact on my game play.
I am constantly forgetting to macro.
When I take the meds it get even worse.

OFF Meds its easier to switch between multiple areas of interest in the game from Macro to harass to battle and what not...

ON Meds ill be so focused on the macro part ill look up at my mini-map and my army got raped.
or ill engage in a battle and when its over ill have 2k minerals.

All in all I would say that it is a huge handicap for SC2.


smurf_NYC
Profile Joined December 2010
United States18 Posts
February 13 2011 22:23 GMT
#69
Here is food for thought, maybe your macro is slipping b/c you're tunnel visioning your micro; not b/c you have some disability or took some Adderall.

On a side note, its difficult for EVERYONE to pay attention to things that are tedious and boring. When I am at a morning meeting and my boss is going on about our weekly reports I just zone out. This isn't b/c I have ADD or ADHD, but b/c he along with the subject matter is boring as fuck, period.

Now im not knocking on the small hand full of people that might actually have some disorder that causes their brain to function differently, but im knocking the chobos that want to use ADD and ADHD as a crutch excuse for everything under the sun.

Its time to grow up and start taking responsibility for your actions instead of saying, Whoa is me, I must have ADHD.
kiss the sky~
Grummler
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany743 Posts
February 13 2011 22:27 GMT
#70
On February 13 2011 11:13 ShaSKiRa wrote:
sorry what is ADD and ADHD?


check this out: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ADHD
workers, supply, money, workers, supply, money, workers, ...
OPSavioR
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1465 Posts
February 13 2011 22:29 GMT
#71
On February 13 2011 11:23 LoLAdriankat wrote:
IdrA has ADD (or at least he said he did) and he's one of the best Zergs. Maybe having ADD even helps.

Source? can you find where he said that?
i dunno lol
Shamrock_
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
South Africa276 Posts
February 13 2011 22:33 GMT
#72
Ugh. I think it's a huge mistake to drag mental illness into gaming. I was diagnosed as ADHD and dyslexic at an early age and turned that around without drugs and without treatment. If it's helped you then that's great and I won't put that down. I just think as far as Starcraft II is concerned it has absolutely no bearing whatsoever.
This is my rifle, this is my gun; this is for fighting, this is for fun
alepov
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands1132 Posts
February 13 2011 22:52 GMT
#73
On February 14 2011 00:12 ALittleLuk wrote:
...
A few symptoms of too much caffeine.
* anxious
* excitable
* restless
* dizzy
* irritable
* unable to concentrate
* gastrointestinal (GI) aches
* headaches that don't seem to go away
* trouble with sleeping


A few symptoms of too little caffeine.
* falling asleep during lecture
* falling asleep while watching a movie
* falling asleep on the desk
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Conrose
Profile Joined October 2010
437 Posts
February 13 2011 22:56 GMT
#74
ADD and ADHD are diagnoses that a number of doctors simply tag you with so they can just take your money and still have time for other patients to take money from. Sort of like how many of them just throw anti-depressant pills at you if you are feeling a little sad, calling it "Chemical imbalance" even if you have a legitimate reason for feeling down.

I'm not saying that ADD and ADHD or Depression are all BS Diagnoses, I understand that there are people who legitimately suffer from these "Ailments", but I think they are thrown around much to casually.

That being said, I think nerve damage in my hands affects my gameplay more than my ADD, microing FGs, EMPs and FF's/Storms is rough for me.
Dakk
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Sweden572 Posts
February 13 2011 22:57 GMT
#75
I've got ADHD as well as Tourettes. I do not feel is if it have affected my skill or my ability to improve. I am, and i've always been a gamer and i've never had any troubles with any games. I am not Diamond, i can get to masters if i push ladder for a few days.

I am sitting at a high effective APM.
I will not fear, Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death.
netisopl
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada10 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 23:05:48
February 13 2011 23:04 GMT
#76
Diagnosed with ADD.

Sometimes it can be good. Sometimes it will be bad. On a day like today I have the entire day to play starcraft and I can't focus at all. It makes me play like garbage and forget so many things. Other days like focus will be like a laser beam, and it makes playing starcraft very easy.

I've learned that I can't force it myself to play better on days like today. You just kinda got to roll with it, which sucks because I really wanted to ladder all day.


Thor-axe the Impaler
Profile Joined April 2010
United States331 Posts
February 13 2011 23:14 GMT
#77
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.

This summarized my experience as well.
Psychedelic Rock Album http://soundcloud.com/dead-rock-music
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
February 13 2011 23:27 GMT
#78
Not to offend anyone, but I think any psychological disorders like ADD/ADHD that someone is given to make it seem they need extra help/medication is pretty BS. Those labels are just a fancy way of saying "That kid thinks you're really boring so he doesn't pay much attention to you" or "He's pretty lazy so he doesn't focus on his work. He wants to do more fun stuff."
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
sinani206
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1959 Posts
February 13 2011 23:31 GMT
#79
I may or may not have slight ADHD. (My brother was diagnosed with it, and both my dad and I have tiny, tiny, tiny amounts of slight space-cadet-ness.)

I constantly find myself thinking, "Everyone says that if you watch Day9 every night you will be at least gold, so why am I stuck in silver?"

My conclusion is that it is ADHD, as I can think of a plan, understand it completely, but not execute at all, even though it feels like I am doing everything right.

I mostly forget to constantly scout, or get too distracted by one part of the screen to concentrate on something else. These both sound ADHD-related, so maybe I do have a little bit of it.
literally everything is wifom just shut the fuck up
skinnyrl
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands125 Posts
February 13 2011 23:47 GMT
#80
i dont think add or adhd affects your play.
You should just learn mechanics and if you learned the mechanics right. You will always know when to do stuff.
People shouldnt always say i got this and that and then i cant do b. Thats bullshit. Look the way i see it. If you think you cant do something you wil never be able to do it. But if you instead try to find solutions then you will get better. You just need to have good motivation and strong will.
Trust me
''Every advantage has it's disadvantage'' Johan Cruyf
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM491
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 491
TKL 202
ByuN 191
ProTech146
SteadfastSC 93
UpATreeSC 45
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30274
Calm 3185
Shuttle 2818
Jaedong 1261
Mini 851
EffOrt 659
Horang2 545
Soma 531
Rush 264
ZerO 256
[ Show more ]
Soulkey 217
Snow 171
firebathero 108
hero 85
Zeus 80
Mong 75
Mind 74
Shine 48
Hyun 40
sorry 34
Free 32
Sharp 30
Aegong 24
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 22
Trap 21
Killer 19
JYJ 19
PianO 18
Bale 16
scan(afreeca) 16
HiyA 13
Rock 12
Sexy 11
Hm[arnc] 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc6065
Dendi1363
League of Legends
KnowMe21
Counter-Strike
fl0m4213
x6flipin308
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King74
ChuDatz36
Other Games
singsing1983
Liquid`RaSZi1360
Beastyqt396
ceh9386
Khaldor301
crisheroes285
dupreeh243
Livibee209
420jenkins204
C9.Mang0202
IndyStarCraft 123
QueenE107
Trikslyr97
Dewaltoss73
ZerO(Twitch)22
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH282
• Hinosc 17
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3658
• WagamamaTV557
League of Legends
• Nemesis2288
• TFBlade307
Other Games
• Shiphtur848
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
17h 28m
INu's Battles
18h 28m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
20h 28m
OSC
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.