• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:15
CEST 09:15
KST 16:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8102 users

ADD and Starcraft?

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Rodeo
Profile Joined December 2010
United States39 Posts
February 13 2011 02:06 GMT
#1
My girlfriend is a special education teacher and we were talking about how attention deficit might affect someone's ability to play Starcraft (or any similar RTS). The game is a composite of a bunch of different tasks involving attention, working memory, and of course a lot more, so it's not straightforward to decide how someone with ADD, for example, might perform.

So here's my question: If you have ADD or ADHD and play Starcraft, do you feel your ability to attend to the game affects your gameplay? Do you find there are certain areas where you are weak? (i.e. getting supply blocked, forgetting upgrades or expanding, microing important units, whatever) Or do you think that ADD isn't really an issue in your gameplay?

I'm sure I can't convince her to get her students playing the game (probably because she actually has to do her job ^_^), but it would be interesting to see whether RTS games could be used as a training tool in special ed settings. (Yes I know there are computer games specifically tuned to these purposes, but there's something to be said for making a tool so fun/mainstream you'd want to do it on your own.)
You say you want lurkers? I want scourge! Bye bye colossi.
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
February 13 2011 02:07 GMT
#2
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.
It is what it is...
Kinetik_Inferno
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1431 Posts
February 13 2011 02:08 GMT
#3
I suppose that your attention would constantly shift between stuff, so it would either be EASY AS HELL, or your attention would shift to stuff outside the game, and you'd lose.
Beef Noodles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States937 Posts
February 13 2011 02:10 GMT
#4
I'm ADHD and I'm 2200 master league. The only times I think it matters are in the late late game vs a turtling player. I get so tired of focusing, I just attack even if its a bad idea. Also, if I want to play a bunch of games, I need to take my medicine or I'll get tired of gaming after 2-3 1v1s
Giwoon
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)431 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:12:10
February 13 2011 02:11 GMT
#5
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


TOO TRUE
im a 2300 diamond zerg who has ADHD/ADD and it doesnt affect my play at all, except for late game i just get so frustrated when i can't 1a and steamroll em xD but to be honest it depends if i feel like 'trying' in late game or not.
BUTTHURT?
farseerdk
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada504 Posts
February 13 2011 02:11 GMT
#6
Isn't tunnel vision a major issue in most beginner starcraft players? Like people get obsessed with microing their army and thus stop making units entirely and then proceed to lose the game...
Perspective is merely an angle.
rixaN
Profile Joined January 2011
United States12 Posts
February 13 2011 02:11 GMT
#7
I have ADHD and ive always had the same experience with it: when im focused on something, i focus on it to the extent of ignoring everything else. When i play SC2 i focus solely on SC2 to the detriment of everything else, so i suppose it actually helps me play rather than hurt. Though i'm fucking terrible so maybe i should blame my ADHD.
Beef Noodles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States937 Posts
February 13 2011 02:11 GMT
#8
But yeah, like Alekh47 said. You have to constantly change your focus between a ton of different and really fun things, so it's not like ADHD is a big deal.
TheLolocaust
Profile Joined December 2010
4 Posts
February 13 2011 02:12 GMT
#9
I have been diagnosed with severe ADD which I find doesn't affect me negatively at all. There are times when Ill be waiting on mins to drop a building etc but then go someplace else real fast, so sometimes it might actually help me to multitask
ShaSKiRa
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia344 Posts
February 13 2011 02:13 GMT
#10
sorry what is ADD and ADHD?
I love FlaSh :) He gonna PWNED ALL OTHER RACE
Beef Noodles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States937 Posts
February 13 2011 02:13 GMT
#11
On February 13 2011 11:08 Alekh47 wrote:
I suppose that your attention would constantly shift between stuff, so it would either be EASY AS HELL, or your attention would shift to stuff outside the game, and you'd lose.

ehhh I kind of disagree. I'm ADHD and I work way harder than most of my friends. Right now, it's saturday night, and I'm writing an English paper (when I'm not on a TL break )
valheru
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia966 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:17:03
February 13 2011 02:14 GMT
#12
One has to take the ADD and ADHD in context, if the conditions are by themselves often times the child was just raised poorly (often times) or an extreme red cordial kid. The conditions are more likely to be ''real'' when in conjunction with other conditions so it would be extremely difficult to test.
I'd guess that if you could get them to concentrate on the game and on the important part of the game and to do the right thing they would be pretty good, ADD and ADHD kids often have a lot of energy to burn. But I have the feeling they would just start making a marine dance in circles, or wonder why no body goes back into the barracks depending on severity if it's mild I guess you would just get frustrated but so does everybody.
Just talking about children here not taking it any further.
I reject your reality and substitute my own
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:16:38
February 13 2011 02:15 GMT
#13
On February 13 2011 11:10 Beef Noodles wrote:
I'm ADHD and I'm 2200 master league. The only times I think it matters are in the late late game vs a turtling player. I get so tired of focusing, I just attack even if its a bad idea. Also, if I want to play a bunch of games, I need to take my medicine or I'll get tired of gaming after 2-3 1v1s


You can't attribute trying to end a very long game to ADHD. It's mental exhaustion, and everyone feels it. The problem is, majority of games don't last that long, so it's kind of hard to train your brain to focus that intensly for such a long time.

EDIT:
On February 13 2011 11:13 ShaSKiRa wrote:
sorry what is ADD and ADHD?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder
It is what it is...
Dance.
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States389 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:17:02
February 13 2011 02:16 GMT
#14
double post. I apologize...

+ Show Spoiler +
for playing that race?
It is what it is...
Beef Noodles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States937 Posts
February 13 2011 02:22 GMT
#15
On February 13 2011 11:15 Dance. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2011 11:10 Beef Noodles wrote:
I'm ADHD and I'm 2200 master league. The only times I think it matters are in the late late game vs a turtling player. I get so tired of focusing, I just attack even if its a bad idea. Also, if I want to play a bunch of games, I need to take my medicine or I'll get tired of gaming after 2-3 1v1s


You can't attribute trying to end a very long game to ADHD. It's mental exhaustion, and everyone feels it. The problem is, majority of games don't last that long, so it's kind of hard to train your brain to focus that intensly for such a long time.

EDIT:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2011 11:13 ShaSKiRa wrote:
sorry what is ADD and ADHD?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attention_deficit_hyperactivity_disorder

You may be right, but as someone who has been "diagnosed" with ADD, I was trying to find something it "might" be affected to try and answer the OP's question. I too think it's more mental exhaustion, but who knows? A study to see if ADD players end games more often than non-ADD players might be interesting.
Barbiero
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Brazil5259 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:23:19
February 13 2011 02:22 GMT
#16
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


Don't say that, REALLY.

My older brother was diagnosed with both ADD and ADHD. My family is known for having intelligent members: my father is known all over Brazil as the CEO of one of the best Radio companies and Motorola reseller; My mother was a professor, used to be the CEO of the Mail company("Correios") of my city, and now is the financial director of the said company; I, myself, always had excellent grades considering that I slept at least 40% of all my classes, and was first in an exam to enter university.

My older brother, however, never had anything like that. He isn't stupid, he isn't lazy or anything like that. In fact, he is the one that does the most of my family, but nothing related to "SCHOOL". He has excellent drawing skills(doing a particular university for architeture atm), incredible creativity and everything he has passion for, like cars and planes, he HAS passion, knowing EVERYTHING about these.
When he was younger, my mother would help him study for straight 6 hours a day just so he wouldn't repeat the year - which failed by his 5th year of school(about 11 years). He would NOT understand what he was studying - maybe during the first five minutes, but a fly that pass by would completly erase everything he would learn at that moment.
By his 11 years, he was diagnosed with it, something to do with his brain connections even, and had to take Ritalin - a "black-tie", or high danger, medicine - and suddenly he would be able to study. However, his base was already destroyed, so he wouldn't catchup for anything else. Had he been diagnosed earlier - although people didnt even knew about the existance of that at that time - he would be a "genius", since he puts so much effort into anything he does.

ADD and ADHD are REAL and SERIOUS. I see that every single day by my side. I've seen that in many other friends of mine.




Relating to SC2, no, there shouldn't be any problem at all.
♥ The world needs more hearts! ♥
LoLAdriankat
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4307 Posts
February 13 2011 02:23 GMT
#17
IdrA has ADD (or at least he said he did) and he's one of the best Zergs. Maybe having ADD even helps.
eXwOn
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada351 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 03:05:15
February 13 2011 02:24 GMT
#18
I have really bad ADHD, and if it indeed is bullshit, then there's something else wrong with me.

When I was younger Starcraft was very therapeutic for me. It was the one thing that I could focus on for extended periods of time-and I would love being able to focus for that long. I spent about four to six hours a day, every day, for about two years straight playing Starcraft. I think it strengthened my focus, I was able to do math problems that I had done years before my ADHD got worse. It actually helped my social skills. I could respond with answers that I picked up in game (mind it was basically low jargon XD).

I was going to say something else, but I got distracted by facebook chat and forgot.

Edit: Looking at some other posts, it seems some people think ADHD isn't real. For me, I'm well know for absolutely destroying advanced math problems at a PhD level, followed an hour later by me not knowing how to spell my name correctly.
#2 in the world on the ladders!!! 3.31.11 :D:D:D
ktimekiller
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States690 Posts
February 13 2011 02:27 GMT
#19
On February 13 2011 11:22 Zephirdd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


Don't say that, REALLY.

My older brother was diagnosed with both ADD and ADHD. My family is known for having intelligent members: my father is known all over Brazil as the CEO of one of the best Radio companies and Motorola reseller; My mother was a professor, used to be the CEO of the Mail company("Correios") of my city, and now is the financial director of the said company; I, myself, always had excellent grades considering that I slept at least 40% of all my classes, and was first in an exam to enter university.

My older brother, however, never had anything like that. He isn't stupid, he isn't lazy or anything like that. In fact, he is the one that does the most of my family, but nothing related to "SCHOOL". He has excellent drawing skills(doing a particular university for architeture atm), incredible creativity and everything he has passion for, like cars and planes, he HAS passion, knowing EVERYTHING about these.
When he was younger, my mother would help him study for straight 6 hours a day just so he wouldn't repeat the year - which failed by his 5th year of school(about 11 years). He would NOT understand what he was studying - maybe during the first five minutes, but a fly that pass by would completly erase everything he would learn at that moment.
By his 11 years, he was diagnosed with it, something to do with his brain connections even, and had to take Ritalin - a "black-tie", or high danger, medicine - and suddenly he would be able to study. However, his base was already destroyed, so he wouldn't catchup for anything else. Had he been diagnosed earlier - although people didnt even knew about the existance of that at that time - he would be a "genius", since he puts so much effort into anything he does.

ADD and ADHD are REAL and SERIOUS. I see that every single day by my side. I've seen that in many other friends of mine.




Relating to SC2, no, there shouldn't be any problem at all.



The poster you quoted may have been a bit too broad, but it is arguable that ADD and ADHD now is being over diagnosed to the point of simply being an excuse for children being children, and less intelligent children being not quite as smart as others.
wrags
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States379 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 02:29:04
February 13 2011 02:28 GMT
#20
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1602
GuemChi 473
actioN 378
Leta 374
sSak 43
Bale 31
sorry 22
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Noble 17
Dota 2
febbydoto15
League of Legends
JimRising 554
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss347
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King150
Other Games
summit1g8137
ceh9442
Happy312
olofmeister307
Sick190
Trikslyr29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick483
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast7
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2228
League of Legends
• Stunt451
Other Games
• Shiphtur368
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 46m
Patches Events
8h 46m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.