• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:05
CEST 09:05
KST 16:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6910 users

ADD and Starcraft? - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
February 13 2011 04:06 GMT
#41
On February 13 2011 12:03 Jerax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2011 11:07 Dance. wrote:
I've been diagnosed with ADHD and it has no bearing on my skill at starcraft. I think ADD and ADHD is bullshit, its a technical term for lazy and very lazy.


Are you a psychiatrist? Do you have a PhD. in brain psychology? No? Then please think over whether you should really make an ignorant post.

To OP, I do agree that Starcraft could be a really good tool in helping kids with ADHD. And have fun doing it!
You don't need a PhD to realize that ADD is extremely over diagnosed. I know personally many people with other legitimate learning disability like dyslexia who were just thrown on the ADD bandwagon and given no real help, only turning them into med zombies. Just because some guy with a title or degree says it true doesn't mean its always right, their are many cases of bad studys that people still believe like vaccines giving kids autism.
~
Kewlots
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia534 Posts
February 13 2011 04:13 GMT
#42
having add I know that it really only effects you with stuff that doesnt really interest you in the first place for me sitting through english class is a struggle but math was completely fine same with sc2 I feel completely focus whilst playing

but to right it off another way of saying someone is lazy isnt true at all
gl hf gg
Thienan567
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States670 Posts
February 13 2011 04:14 GMT
#43
I haven't been diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, but I do think that a lot of people who have been don't really act like it or display any symptoms of it at all. I will take that serious cases do exist, but at the rate diagnoses are given out that nowadays it's been given a 'boy cries wolf' effect, if you will: it's been thrown at people everywhere so much that they lump in the actual cases with the not actual cases.

As for playing Starcraft, well, I'd have to say no, unless your ADD/ADHD makes you great at multitasking. Heck if you're good at multitasking in general you'll probably be good at starcraft.
Leeto
Profile Joined August 2007
United States1320 Posts
February 13 2011 04:18 GMT
#44
I remember IdrA said on his stream that he has ADD. Doesn't look like it's hindering him.
Noxie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2227 Posts
February 13 2011 04:20 GMT
#45
From what I have heard ADD doesnt effect you all that much as you would think as far as Video Games goes... though Maybe Starcraft2 within itself is a whole different story.
Clare
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States372 Posts
February 13 2011 04:21 GMT
#46
I don't personally have ADD, but my brother does. He had to go on some sort of medication until around age 10-12 (can't remember) where he got taken off because of the side effects. It doesn't really seem like ADD is actually affecting him. He was on the honor roll last semester and he doesn't need much help on doing his homework alone. ADD might be a serious disorder, but, like others have pointed out, it is definitely way overdiagnosed. It seems like they diagnose someone with ADD for just about anything. Not doing his homework - ADD! Talking in class - ADD! Getting a bad grade - ADD!
The dashboard melted but we still had the radio.
Zandar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands1541 Posts
February 13 2011 04:21 GMT
#47


Agreed, when i was a growing up there was no such thing as ADD or ADHD, the only medication we needed was a switch slap across the head from mom or dad while they said, pay attention you little fucker. Then they would tell us to go play outside for a few hours.

ADD cured.


Yeah... all people are equal. Little differences in brains cannot occur.... ever.
It's the most complex system in the known universe but if some of those 6bilion brains are a bit different they need a slap across the head.

It's like saying everyone should write with the right hand, people writing left hand need a slap across the head. Gays too. What? You don't believe in my god? Double slap across the head.

Could you say this too?
Agreed, when i was a growing up there was no such thing as Down Syndrom, Alzheimer or Parkinson, the only medication we needed was a switch slap across the head


When you were growing up they didn't know about ADD yet. I wish they had known when I was young. Maybe it's overdiagnosed but ADD does exist.
maybe you had some bad experiences of people using ADD as an excuse. But for me finding out what ADD is finally made me understand myself in such a way that I can do my work and arrange my life in such a way that makes me and the people around me happy.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
February 13 2011 04:29 GMT
#48
i don't think add/adhd would have any impact on how you play sc2. from my experience add/adhd kids are more drawn to video games. they do fine focusing on stuff they want to do but have a hard time focusing on school because, well, it's schoolwork -_-
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
ktimekiller
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States690 Posts
February 13 2011 04:29 GMT
#49
Honestly? have you never heard of overdiagnosing add and adhd?
megagoten
Profile Joined October 2010
318 Posts
February 13 2011 04:37 GMT
#50
On February 13 2011 13:29 ktimekiller wrote:
Honestly? have you never heard of overdiagnosing add and adhd?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=overdiagnosis add adhd
Mios
Profile Joined April 2010
United States686 Posts
February 13 2011 04:43 GMT
#51
I believe people with ADD have no problems if they're on a good medication that works, brings their attention level up to average or maybe a little higher.
Taking amphetamines and ritalin when you DON'T have ADD should be considered cheating imo, and I'm sure there's lots of SC2 players who use these, maybe even some pros.
no LAN and intercontinental bnet = T_T
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
February 13 2011 04:48 GMT
#52
I've been diagnosed with add but it seems it doesn't affect me that much for starcraft, the only thing i seem to do worse than my opponents are constantly losing my first scouting overlord and forgetting about stuff all over the map i know all people does that but me to a higher extent than others at my level. I'm in masters league though so i can still play the game.
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
February 13 2011 04:51 GMT
#53
I have ADD and I find it impossible to play the game for extended periods, even when I want to (day9 hypes me up etc) - in fact I played maybe 30 minutes in the last 2 weeks..
I have no trouble playing MMOs for 6 hours at a time however, even though they are kinda grindy, though I avoid the grindier MMOs.
Die tomorrow - Live today
Barbiero
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Brazil5259 Posts
February 13 2011 04:53 GMT
#54
On February 13 2011 13:29 Alejandrisha wrote:
i don't think add/adhd would have any impact on how you play sc2. from my experience add/adhd kids are more drawn to video games. they do fine focusing on stuff they want to do but have a hard time focusing on school because, well, it's schoolwork -_-



That's only true when the person gets older or when the activity requires very little logical focus. Using my brother as an example, he fucking ROCKED playing counter strike, because it was all about reactions and less about "oh if it is like this then I do this, if it is like that then I do that!".

I reckon he should be excellent as an aggressive player rather than a reactive player, but maybe that's just him.
♥ The world needs more hearts! ♥
strongandbig
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4858 Posts
February 13 2011 04:57 GMT
#55
I have kind of strong ADD, and I've taken medication for it since around seventh grade (in college now.)

It doesn't affect me normally, but my medication wears off around 9:30 or so, and I can't win a 1v1 to save my life after that time. It's just impossible to remember all the tasks that need to get done during a game. I lost a game today because after I killed my opponent's push I double expanded, was able to defend the double expansions, and built four refineries - and then forgot to put any workers in the refineries for the rest of the game, even though I could barely make anything but marines. There's a lot of stuff like that - it's much more difficult to keep from being supply capped once my medication wears off, for example. I think if ADD is strong enough it can definitely have a big impact on how you play the game. I can play in mid-diamond if I only play in the afternoon, but if I try to play after 9:30 I can barely beat mid platinum players.
"It's the torso" "only more so!"
Arnu
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada96 Posts
February 13 2011 05:39 GMT
#56
On February 13 2011 13:00 SleepSheep wrote:
ADD is serious, jesus christ. People gotta stop shrugging it off cause itll make people who have it not get treatment for this extremely disabling disorder.


I think you're making it seem far worse than it actually is. I have ADD, I day dream, I don't pay attention to things, but if I want to, I will. ADD/ADHD are kind of a joke to me to be completely honest.

As for starcraft, I'm high diamond and rising. I don't find it difficult at all to play and concentrate on the game, or anything for that matter.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
February 13 2011 05:45 GMT
#57
Also, if I want to play a bunch of games, I need to take my medicine or I'll get tired of gaming after 2-3 1v1s


I'm a bit worried about this medicine. How tired are you talking about? I think it's quite natural that people get tired after even an couple games, or 30+ minutes let's say. If you're exhausted, that's another story, but if you're feeling groggy, that's pretty normal to me at least.

Just want to share my experience so that you won't "overdose" or use something that's unnecessary xD


Interesting topic though. When I learned that some presidents (Bush) had ADD (or was it ADHD?) and that it helped them in some ways, it was a bit surprising but also interesting.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Fasterfood
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada166 Posts
February 13 2011 05:57 GMT
#58
To the OP:
I think it's a stretch. As much as we would all love more starcraft in every aspect of our lives, there are better ways to educate.

To everyone talking about whether ADD/ADHD are real:
I think that it's real, but only a very small portion of people diagnosed actually have it. My brother and I have both been diagnosed with ADD. he's dropped out of a local college several times, and I am an actuary. I think he's just lazier than me.

That being said, The idea that someone could have serious difficultly concentrating, beyond the norm and unrelated to upbringing, is not at all far fetched.
XXXSmOke
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1333 Posts
February 13 2011 06:49 GMT
#59
ADD can help your starcraft

A typical syndrome of ADD is shifting thoughts constantly, which can help my brain process quick things fast in starcraft. However in school this is not so good o.0
Emperor? Boxer disapproves. He's building bunkers at your mom's house even as you're reading this.
wheelchairs
Profile Joined February 2010
United States145 Posts
February 13 2011 07:00 GMT
#60
ADD is an infestation in america right now because of the euphoric effects of adderall, who the hell wouldn't want to say they can't concentrate and be prescribed some amphetamine salts to abuse on the weekends. I have many, many friends that get Rx'd + eat them for fun, sell them, etc. and aren't really bad ADD or anything of the sort.

btw i have played sc on adderall and it feels like my response speed and reflexes are much better than if i play sober
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 158
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 334
actioN 91
Mong 76
Shine 72
NotJumperer 36
Bale 29
Noble 11
Icarus 9
Light 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm193
League of Legends
JimRising 602
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 807
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft747
Other Games
summit1g8631
PiGStarcraft378
ceh9340
Happy277
Livibee114
ArmadaUGS29
RuFF_SC227
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick547
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream501
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH64
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2361
League of Legends
• Lourlo1451
• Rush1411
• Stunt457
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 55m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 55m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 55m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.