• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:17
CEST 15:17
KST 22:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7780 users

Standardized Rating - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Authweight
Profile Joined May 2010
United States304 Posts
September 29 2010 22:22 GMT
#61
I like the idea of using percentiles, easy to understand, and sc2ranks makes it easy to find. I'm 73rd percentile diamond in NA, 70th percentile diamond world ranking. http://www.sc2ranks.com/team/3982028

I think since there's no cross-region play, comparing ladder points across servers is a bit iffy, so it's probably best to state it as "73rd percentile in NA diamond."
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
September 29 2010 22:24 GMT
#62
On September 30 2010 06:35 Shikyo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 04:44 ZapRoffo wrote:
Anyway it boils down it if I was originally right and bonus pool points affect your points won from future matches, then this standardized rating is invalid and meaningless (players who have played more and had their rating corrected more are double punished).

If I was wrong (which I do currently believe) than it's a very useful thing.

Anyway it's funny when I calculated it for myself and my standardized rating is a whopping 28. Which is worse than average cause I entered diamond with 300 some. A bunch of people must be negative too.

You can be like 700 point platinum and then promote to Diamond and be like 400 points but you'll still have lost all the bonus points from before and they're wasted. Am I right?


No, you gain the entire accrued bonus pool for your new diamond league. It's not wasted it's given back as new bonus pool in diamond.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
SpaceYeti
Profile Joined June 2010
United States723 Posts
September 29 2010 22:25 GMT
#63
On September 30 2010 07:22 Authweight wrote:
I like the idea of using percentiles, easy to understand, and sc2ranks makes it easy to find. I'm 73rd percentile diamond in NA, 70th percentile diamond world ranking. http://www.sc2ranks.com/team/3982028

I think since there's no cross-region play, comparing ladder points across servers is a bit iffy, so it's probably best to state it as "73rd percentile in NA diamond."

Wow. A suggestion that actually makes sense.

Only problem here is that it doesn't account for your unspent bonus pool points from a period of inactivity. But maybe that's a good thing?
Behavior is a function of its consequences.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
September 29 2010 22:27 GMT
#64
On September 30 2010 07:24 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 06:35 Shikyo wrote:
On September 30 2010 04:44 ZapRoffo wrote:
Anyway it boils down it if I was originally right and bonus pool points affect your points won from future matches, then this standardized rating is invalid and meaningless (players who have played more and had their rating corrected more are double punished).

If I was wrong (which I do currently believe) than it's a very useful thing.

Anyway it's funny when I calculated it for myself and my standardized rating is a whopping 28. Which is worse than average cause I entered diamond with 300 some. A bunch of people must be negative too.

You can be like 700 point platinum and then promote to Diamond and be like 400 points but you'll still have lost all the bonus points from before and they're wasted. Am I right?


No, you gain the entire accrued bonus pool for your new diamond league. It's not wasted it's given back as new bonus pool in diamond.


Are you sure? That hasn't been the case in histories I've seen. You seem to get whatever consumed bonus pool you had carried over plus X points (probably wherever you land based on MMR), and you don't seem to get any bonus pool refunded.
Moderator
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
September 29 2010 22:31 GMT
#65
On September 30 2010 07:27 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 07:24 ZapRoffo wrote:
On September 30 2010 06:35 Shikyo wrote:
On September 30 2010 04:44 ZapRoffo wrote:
Anyway it boils down it if I was originally right and bonus pool points affect your points won from future matches, then this standardized rating is invalid and meaningless (players who have played more and had their rating corrected more are double punished).

If I was wrong (which I do currently believe) than it's a very useful thing.

Anyway it's funny when I calculated it for myself and my standardized rating is a whopping 28. Which is worse than average cause I entered diamond with 300 some. A bunch of people must be negative too.

You can be like 700 point platinum and then promote to Diamond and be like 400 points but you'll still have lost all the bonus points from before and they're wasted. Am I right?


No, you gain the entire accrued bonus pool for your new diamond league. It's not wasted it's given back as new bonus pool in diamond.


Are you sure? That hasn't been the case in histories I've seen. You seem to get whatever consumed bonus pool you had carried over plus X points (probably wherever you land based on MMR), and you don't seem to get any bonus pool refunded.

But then this whole thing doesn't make sense, because people would start diamond with different amounts of bonus pool depending on how much they used before they got there...

Oh unless you are saying your consumed bonus pool goes straight to your diamond points?
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
September 29 2010 22:38 GMT
#66
On September 30 2010 07:31 ZapRoffo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 07:27 Excalibur_Z wrote:
On September 30 2010 07:24 ZapRoffo wrote:
On September 30 2010 06:35 Shikyo wrote:
On September 30 2010 04:44 ZapRoffo wrote:
Anyway it boils down it if I was originally right and bonus pool points affect your points won from future matches, then this standardized rating is invalid and meaningless (players who have played more and had their rating corrected more are double punished).

If I was wrong (which I do currently believe) than it's a very useful thing.

Anyway it's funny when I calculated it for myself and my standardized rating is a whopping 28. Which is worse than average cause I entered diamond with 300 some. A bunch of people must be negative too.

You can be like 700 point platinum and then promote to Diamond and be like 400 points but you'll still have lost all the bonus points from before and they're wasted. Am I right?


No, you gain the entire accrued bonus pool for your new diamond league. It's not wasted it's given back as new bonus pool in diamond.


Are you sure? That hasn't been the case in histories I've seen. You seem to get whatever consumed bonus pool you had carried over plus X points (probably wherever you land based on MMR), and you don't seem to get any bonus pool refunded.

But then this whole thing doesn't make sense, because people would start diamond with different amounts of bonus pool depending on how much they used before they got there...

Oh unless you are saying your consumed bonus pool goes straight to your diamond points?


Yeah, that's what I meant. It goes straight to your new total.
Moderator
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 29 2010 22:44 GMT
#67
This doesn't work because bonus pool more greatly affects people who haven't played as many games, unless MMR is 100% irrelevant of your displayed points. If it's completely irrelevant, then I guess, but I would imagine they are somehow somewhat even marginally linked.
Orange Goblin
Profile Joined May 2010
218 Posts
September 29 2010 22:48 GMT
#68
On September 30 2010 07:25 SpaceYeti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 07:22 Authweight wrote:
I like the idea of using percentiles, easy to understand, and sc2ranks makes it easy to find. I'm 73rd percentile diamond in NA, 70th percentile diamond world ranking. http://www.sc2ranks.com/team/3982028

I think since there's no cross-region play, comparing ladder points across servers is a bit iffy, so it's probably best to state it as "73rd percentile in NA diamond."

Wow. A suggestion that actually makes sense.

Only problem here is that it doesn't account for your unspent bonus pool points from a period of inactivity. But maybe that's a good thing?


So, does anyone find any problems with this? No?

Everyone in favour say aye!
ShoeFactory
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States186 Posts
September 29 2010 22:49 GMT
#69
I'm pretty sure bonus pool affects everyone the same amount. MMR is not related to displayed points. The displayed points just tries to tend you toward the MMR.
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 29 2010 22:53 GMT
#70
Or Blizzard would just get rid of the bonus pool.

Then the points would always be the same besides the inflation of top players due to there being a larger player pool. But seriously, we should have to rely on communities to add these things, it's something that should be in the game.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Soulish
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1403 Posts
September 29 2010 22:56 GMT
#71
On September 28 2010 00:14 Clearout wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 28 2010 00:10 shannn wrote:
On September 28 2010 00:07 Clearout wrote:
On September 28 2010 00:01 xzidez wrote:
The problem is that the system is inflated even without the bonuspool. So even with this system you wont be able to track your actual improvement ..

But its still less inflated Id guess.


How is the system inflated without the bonuspool? :S

Probably because your points are still inflating just not as much with the addition of bonus pool points.

Was pretty sure it stayed the same. E.g. I win 12 points, someone loses 12 points. If you have a ridiculous win rate though, you will climb higher, but if you end at 50% W/L you shouldnt increase in points.

Edit: Sorry for derailing.

OT: Thanks for this! I'll make use of it to get a general idea of my "skill"

not true. I have a 56 w/l and I'm 1007 points
me all in, he drone drone drone, me win
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
September 29 2010 23:01 GMT
#72
On September 30 2010 07:44 FabledIntegral wrote:
This doesn't work because bonus pool more greatly affects people who haven't played as many games, unless MMR is 100% irrelevant of your displayed points. If it's completely irrelevant, then I guess, but I would imagine they are somehow somewhat even marginally linked.


I don't understand. Everyone gets the same total bonus pool, the only difference is how much you've used. You can find this out by going to your profile page on the Battle.net website. Deducting consumed bonus pool from your current displayed rating shows your rating sans inflation (and remember inflation occurs at the same rate for everyone).
Moderator
TheDna
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany577 Posts
September 29 2010 23:07 GMT
#73
Hi.
The thread is misleading imo. The current ladder and ranks are not to show who is actually the best!
Its a system for everybody to be happy. Low skilled players are able to get very high ratings and thats what blizzard wants.
The system is working for them and they are not gonna change it.
NEOtheONE
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2233 Posts
September 29 2010 23:12 GMT
#74
What about promotions? Every time you get promoted your point total drops. I was placed in bronze, and I have worked my way all the way up to Platinum. Going by your math I have 945 points - 890 bonus pool + 28 points unused = 83. The best platinum player in my division only has 1129 - 890 +9 = 248. And the 2nd ranked one has 1031 - 890 + 53 = 194. That seems really really low, especially given 165-132 55.6% for the best, 138-116 53.9% for the second, and 153-135 53% for me.
Abstracts, the too long didn't read of the educated world.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
September 29 2010 23:52 GMT
#75
On September 30 2010 08:01 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2010 07:44 FabledIntegral wrote:
This doesn't work because bonus pool more greatly affects people who haven't played as many games, unless MMR is 100% irrelevant of your displayed points. If it's completely irrelevant, then I guess, but I would imagine they are somehow somewhat even marginally linked.


I don't understand. Everyone gets the same total bonus pool, the only difference is how much you've used. You can find this out by going to your profile page on the Battle.net website. Deducting consumed bonus pool from your current displayed rating shows your rating sans inflation (and remember inflation occurs at the same rate for everyone).


Just typed out a 3 paragraph explanation only to realize I'm kinda shaky on the foundations, so I could be completely full of shit. I understand what you're saying about the bonus pool, maybe in my free time I'll end up figuring out what I mean.... if I'm even correct.
link0
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1071 Posts
September 30 2010 00:33 GMT
#76
Some divisions have very inflated points.
http://www.justin.tv/link0 - Gosu.Linko - http://www.facebook.com/link0
deverlight
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Korea (South)463 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-30 00:41:22
September 30 2010 00:38 GMT
#77
So I went and grinded out my 4v4 random diamond promotion to try and get some data on how promotions work.

My rating (in platinum) and bonus pool before the game that promoted me:
Rating: 570
Bonus Pool: 602
Spent Bonus Pool (Total 919 at the time of playing): 317

My rating (in diamond) and bonus pool after the game that promoted me:
Rating: 410
Bonus Pool: 562
Spent Bonus Pool (Total 919 at the time of playing): 357

Something strange to note... The game that got me the promotion gave me +40. Instead of the usual 20 points and 20 bonus pool points, it looks like ALL of the points I got were bonus pool points. I believe Excalibur_Z has the most logical explanation to the promotion system. My standardized rating immediately after promotion is 53 which is probably derived from my hidden MMR. I'm then awarded the bonus points that I'd spent til then (357) putting my rating at 410. I'm not refunded any bonus pool.

This seems to make sense and is consistent with Excalibur_Z's findings in previous compilation posts. The only thing that would really throw a wrench in this would be if someone immediately after promotion had a standardized rating of less than 0. Also, following this theory someone who takes longer to be promoted than me (because their MMR hasn't stabilized to an acceptable level for promotion because an upper limit to their skill has not been found) should enter the league with a HIGHER standardized rating.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
September 30 2010 03:08 GMT
#78
On September 30 2010 09:38 deverlight wrote:
So I went and grinded out my 4v4 random diamond promotion to try and get some data on how promotions work.

My rating (in platinum) and bonus pool before the game that promoted me:
Rating: 570
Bonus Pool: 602
Spent Bonus Pool (Total 919 at the time of playing): 317

My rating (in diamond) and bonus pool after the game that promoted me:
Rating: 410
Bonus Pool: 562
Spent Bonus Pool (Total 919 at the time of playing): 357

Something strange to note... The game that got me the promotion gave me +40. Instead of the usual 20 points and 20 bonus pool points, it looks like ALL of the points I got were bonus pool points. I believe Excalibur_Z has the most logical explanation to the promotion system. My standardized rating immediately after promotion is 53 which is probably derived from my hidden MMR. I'm then awarded the bonus points that I'd spent til then (357) putting my rating at 410. I'm not refunded any bonus pool.

This seems to make sense and is consistent with Excalibur_Z's findings in previous compilation posts. The only thing that would really throw a wrench in this would be if someone immediately after promotion had a standardized rating of less than 0. Also, following this theory someone who takes longer to be promoted than me (because their MMR hasn't stabilized to an acceptable level for promotion because an upper limit to their skill has not been found) should enter the league with a HIGHER standardized rating.


When I got promoted into Diamond I also had 20 extra bonus points (I was supposed to win 20+20 from my last game) disappear from my bonus pool. It's probably a bug that may only be related to Diamond because the same thing happened to you, but that didn't happen to Vanick when he got promoted from Bronze to Silver. I asked Vanick to continue plotting his promotions after intentionally bombing his placement matches, so we'll see if extra bonus points disappear when he gets promoted again.
Moderator
jaeds
Profile Joined September 2010
United States106 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-30 03:20:45
September 30 2010 03:19 GMT
#79
about a week ago i was platinum ranked #1 with 1106 points before getting promoted to diamond. i had used all of my bonus pool in my platinum division. Immediately upon promotion to diamond, I was set to 941 points in Diamond (1106 platinum -> 941 diamond). Several others who were put into my newly formed diamond division were also set to 941. I doubt each person who was newly set to 941 was also the exact amount of points that I had while in platinum.

was 941 the amount of bonus pool possible points up to that day? did it remove all other points i had accrued, even when playing diamond rated players and winning that weren't considered "bonus pool" point wins?

maybe someone who gets this can fill me in or use this information to understand something better

/confused

(edit, wording)
PTZ.
Profile Joined September 2010
72 Posts
September 30 2010 04:03 GMT
#80
The point of the bonus pool is to have the number of games played have an effect on one's rating. Without the bonus pool a 1:1game player would have the exact same rank and rating as someone who has a 1,000:1,000record when the guy with 2k games would clearly likely be the superior player here. Bonus pool helps to distinguish this.

I however don't like it's inflating effect.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1086
WardiTV760
OGKoka 300
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 300
Rex 147
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2549
Horang2 1489
Shuttle 1450
Jaedong 868
EffOrt 671
BeSt 544
Mini 411
Light 252
Stork 242
ZerO 202
[ Show more ]
firebathero 194
ggaemo 160
Rush 137
Zeus 89
Killer 73
Shine 66
Barracks 64
Hyun 63
Shinee 31
sorry 30
ToSsGirL 28
Yoon 26
Aegong 24
Mong 23
Bale 22
Sexy 22
PianO 21
soO 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 11
Noble 10
Terrorterran 10
yabsab 8
Icarus 7
HiyA 7
Dota 2
qojqva2263
Dendi1641
BananaSlamJamma290
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin737
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes393
Other Games
singsing2241
olofmeister1370
B2W.Neo735
hiko722
Lowko339
Sick226
Pyrionflax190
Liquid`VortiX117
ArmadaUGS80
Mew2King40
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream553
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH294
• StrangeGG 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2309
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.