• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:06
CEST 17:06
KST 00:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8006 users

[September] SC2 General Discussion - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
September 07 2010 13:36 GMT
#21
Hi all. Something just occurred to me and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm #4 in my Gold league at the moment, having been placed at #60ish gold to begin with. In between, I've won 65 of 120 matches. However, my opponents have not in general been gold level players themselves. I get a lot of silver and a few bronze (and the occasional platinum) with only a sprinkling of gold players.

This got me thinking: how the heck am I ever going to end up where I should be?

The matchmaking system ensures I get a decent win record, and thus a decent number of points. Since this applies to everyone below top tier, presumably I'm either playing more than others in my league, or they're being promoted out of my way. So even though, in all likelihood, I should be in silver, I can't see how the system can ever put me there. I mean, surely it can't watch me go from #60 to #4 and then announce "You've been demoted!"

Surely the 'favoured/even' comparison and subsequent point allocation should be based on visible rank, not hidden matchmaking rank, in order for the two to have a hope of converging. Or am I missing something important?
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
Nvi
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom28 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-07 15:20:15
September 07 2010 15:19 GMT
#22
On September 07 2010 22:36 Umpteen wrote:
Hi all. Something just occurred to me and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm #4 in my Gold league at the moment, having been placed at #60ish gold to begin with. In between, I've won 65 of 120 matches. However, my opponents have not in general been gold level players themselves. I get a lot of silver and a few bronze (and the occasional platinum) with only a sprinkling of gold players.

This got me thinking: how the heck am I ever going to end up where I should be?

The matchmaking system ensures I get a decent win record, and thus a decent number of points. Since this applies to everyone below top tier, presumably I'm either playing more than others in my league, or they're being promoted out of my way. So even though, in all likelihood, I should be in silver, I can't see how the system can ever put me there. I mean, surely it can't watch me go from #60 to #4 and then announce "You've been demoted!"

Surely the 'favoured/even' comparison and subsequent point allocation should be based on visible rank, not hidden matchmaking rank, in order for the two to have a hope of converging. Or am I missing something important?


You have to beat more players in the league above you to get promoted, by the sounds of things you saying you mostly play silver/bronze players is because that's more towards your skill level, I'd guess you were placed in gold because you beat a fair few gold but havn't had the same results when playing against Platinum players.
Umpteen
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom1570 Posts
September 07 2010 16:34 GMT
#23
On September 08 2010 00:19 Nvi wrote:
You have to beat more players in the league above you to get promoted, by the sounds of things you saying you mostly play silver/bronze players is because that's more towards your skill level, I'd guess you were placed in gold because you beat a fair few gold but havn't had the same results when playing against Platinum players.


Sorry; can't have been clear enough: I'm not asking how I'll ever get promoted, I'm asking how will the system ever manage to put me in silver where I belong

Because the matchmaking works, I win ~50% of the time. With that and the bonus pool, I keep earning points, which pushes me up the league I'm in. Let's say Mr Protoss, who's also in the same league as me vying for the top spot, is playing all gold players. He too is winning 50% of the time, and he's getting the same points I am because points gained are based on the hidden matchmaking comparison, not his visible standing vs their visible standing. If I play more than he does, I can rise higher in the league than him, despite playing easier opponents.

Strictly speaking, I should be in silver, but the system can't realistically put me there because I'm going *UP* the gold league. It can't possibly move me from #60 gold to #4 gold and then demote me to silver; that would just look stupid - even though it's the right thing to do.

That make more sense?
The existence of a food chain is inescapable if we evolved unsupervised, and inexcusable otherwise.
susan1987
Profile Joined September 2010
1 Post
September 08 2010 07:06 GMT
#24
i like playing st2 very much, but i do not play well
UltraLord
Profile Joined September 2010
South Africa1 Post
September 08 2010 07:24 GMT
#25
Hey TL community..

Just a quick question on cheese prevention... (probably not so quick) [not sure if this should go into a separate thread or what not)

Long story short. In tournies (like the following : http://www.esl.eu/eu/sc2/1on1/goldplatinum16/rankings/ ) I have no problem playing Top platinum players and beating them.
I've found that this is because people are less liking to gamble on a cheese move and rather player more "standard" game rather than lose, as losing == gg norekthnxbi

But when it comes to ladder matches(where losing isn't an issue for some) I constantly find myself losing to lower gold league players because of things like :
1) Toss towering up and Void Ray rushing
2) Mass siege in base and banshee rush.
etc.

Anyone got any tips on how to fight off those initial cheese rushes with a standard 3-5rax build? + expansion?
Awesomo
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands206 Posts
September 08 2010 18:36 GMT
#26
Dear PvP,

Would you please crawl up in a hole and die? If that's too much to ask, could you at least stop sucking as hard as you do now? Letting us expand would be nice, or maybe you could stop forcing us to go for a 10gate all of the time.

Sincerely,

P
I have an ice-cold beer, everything is possible.
Vega152
Profile Joined September 2010
United States70 Posts
September 08 2010 19:33 GMT
#27
@UltraLord

I'm in ~800elo diamond, and let me tell you, it doesn't get any better.

I had 5 cheese games in a row earlier today.
6 pool, cannon into VR, proxy 2gate zealot, proxy zealot into VR, then banshee rush

The best advice I can give you is to scout more. If you catch their cheese early, they'll have no chance of catching you off-guard with it and lose due to their lack of economy.

First, check for obvious warning signs like: only 6 drones in base (duh), no gateway/rax in base when you scout, Protoss building a forge before their gateway, and Terran making nothing but marines. In the vast majority of cases, these are the visible openings of a cheese.

Second, figure out what the cheese is. Check your base for proxies, scan the corner of theirs for a hidden Starport, etc.

Third, make the appropriate units / static defenses to counter it. If someone Banshee rushes you and you have 2 missile turrets and a viking, what are they going to do?

Fourth, after you fend off their cheese, expand and out-macro them. If you soundly defeated whatever they were doing, they're not gonna be able to stop you from expanding, so take advantage of it.
Paper: Rock is balanced, nerf Scissors!
Seeker *
Profile Blog Joined April 2005
Where dat snitch at?37117 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-08 21:26:53
September 08 2010 21:26 GMT
#28
I won all 5 of my placement matches but was only placed in Plat. Exactly what do u need to do to get placed in Diamond? And how does the placement system work in sc2?
ModeratorPeople ask me, "Seeker, what are you seeking?" My answer? "Sleep, damn it! Always sleep!"
TL+ Member
NukeTheBunnys
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1004 Posts
September 08 2010 21:28 GMT
#29
On September 09 2010 06:26 Seeker wrote:
I won all 5 of my placement matches but was only placed in Plat. Exactly what do u need to do to get placed in Diamond? And how does the placement system work in sc2?


you cant place directly into diamond, just keep playing and you will get promoted. The minimum number of games is ~20, but it took day9 60, and i have heard of others taking hundreds
When you play the game of drones you win or you die.
Anxiety
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States650 Posts
September 08 2010 23:45 GMT
#30
On September 09 2010 06:28 NukeTheBunnys wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2010 06:26 Seeker wrote:
I won all 5 of my placement matches but was only placed in Plat. Exactly what do u need to do to get placed in Diamond? And how does the placement system work in sc2?


you cant place directly into diamond, just keep playing and you will get promoted. The minimum number of games is ~20, but it took day9 60, and i have heard of others taking hundreds


It took me ~ 100 from bronze, jumped to gold, then plat, then into mid diamond. So yea, it varies, and depends on the level of your opponent.
Devolved
Profile Joined April 2008
United States2753 Posts
September 09 2010 01:19 GMT
#31
How do you put SCVs on auto-repair?
$♥$
Smurg
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada3819 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-09 01:47:30
September 09 2010 01:46 GMT
#32
On September 09 2010 10:19 Devolved wrote:
How do you put SCVs on auto-repair?


Right-click on the repair icon.

When are Blizzard going to remove the region-lock?
Oddysay
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada597 Posts
September 09 2010 02:33 GMT
#33
the way you play can be more bm that the guy who curse you , because he know you got no respect while playing him ( because you think he stupid ) , so most people understand that and do what you call BAD MANNER , in fact many people deserve it and just make fun of the angry guy.

seriously many smart ass deserve the bm , but keep making fun of them ! just wanted to say it .
Devolved
Profile Joined April 2008
United States2753 Posts
September 09 2010 05:33 GMT
#34
Why does my screen sometimes jump across the map when I'm trying to micro units fast?
$♥$
Linkdx
Profile Joined August 2010
36 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-09 06:57:40
September 09 2010 06:53 GMT
#35
you may accidentally press space bar or you double tap the wrong hotkey

or you might be having your army as control group 1, so that maybe you accidentally pressed f1 and it goes to an idle worker somewhere
hufza
Profile Joined December 2009
Norway9 Posts
September 09 2010 07:15 GMT
#36
On September 09 2010 14:33 Devolved wrote:
Why does my screen sometimes jump across the map when I'm trying to micro units fast?


My guess is you are playing on a laptop and forgot to disable the touchpad. Happens to me all the time.
that is many tank? yes?
Devolved
Profile Joined April 2008
United States2753 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-09 07:19:51
September 09 2010 07:16 GMT
#37
On September 09 2010 15:53 Linkdx wrote:
you may accidentally press space bar or you double tap the wrong hotkey

or you might be having your army as control group 1, so that maybe you accidentally pressed f1 and it goes to an idle worker somewhere

Ahhh yes, it's probably the F1 key I'm accidentally hitting. I didn't even know that F1 cycled through idle workers (that should be handy). I've never looked to see where it centers because it's always right in the middle of a battle and I go back the battle field asap. Gonna have to be more careful about that, or just never have any idle workers


More questions:
Do armor upgrades help against fungal growth?

How do you disable the menu buttons so you don't accidentally hit them during the game when selecting stuff?
$♥$
ilovejonn
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Canada2548 Posts
September 09 2010 07:18 GMT
#38
I hope the new balance patch and name change comes "soon"..... =[
Snowflakes in January, Heart warm like February, I wouldn't ordinarily..
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
September 09 2010 12:16 GMT
#39
blizz said mid september... I am curious why its taking such a long time when they already know what they are going to fix. Its not like various tournaments haven't shown us the strengths of certain units/openings why not balance asap?

Reminds me of deathknights in WoW. Everyone knew they were OPed and blizz kept playing the "too early" card and we all had to suffer many months of seeing DK domination over everything from pvp to pve.

Armors don't affect spells such as storm and FG to my knowledge
zeroISM
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan161 Posts
September 09 2010 12:44 GMT
#40
I certainly think this isn't worth a thread on its own:

I would like to request a wallpaper showing only zerg creep on the screen so I could set it on as my desktop wallpaper. Something like 1920x1200 would be greatly appreciated!

Then I could shopp it and put it as my Home Screen wallpaper for iPhone ^_^

Thanks in advance!
♘
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
Rex 125
Codebar 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2754
Shuttle 1437
EffOrt 926
BeSt 705
Light 426
Mini 403
ggaemo 341
Stork 276
ZerO 253
firebathero 242
[ Show more ]
Rush 167
Barracks 135
Sea.KH 82
Zeus 65
Killer 63
Shine 55
Dewaltoss 55
Hyun 39
Mong 33
Shinee 31
Yoon 31
ToSsGirL 28
Aegong 28
Sexy 27
sorry 22
Bale 22
soO 21
Terrorterran 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 6
Dota 2
qojqva3834
Dendi1786
BananaSlamJamma392
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2229
hiko1208
Liquid`RaSZi1151
B2W.Neo870
Lowko357
Liquid`VortiX224
Sick167
ArmadaUGS124
Trikslyr23
ZerO(Twitch)12
Mew2King10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream558
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile116
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2202
• Nemesis1911
• TFBlade657
Other Games
• WagamamaTV288
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
18h 54m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 8h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.