• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:55
CEST 21:55
KST 04:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8793 users

Beta Key Self-Nominators - Page 67

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 65 66 67 68 69 99 Next
Weedman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States65 Posts
April 18 2010 22:55 GMT
#1321
I deserve the key more the anyone, while my mother was dieing I was busy playing BW and smoking a blunt.
Smoke it!
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
April 18 2010 22:55 GMT
#1322
lol, she live or die after that?
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
Weedman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States65 Posts
April 18 2010 22:58 GMT
#1323
On April 19 2010 07:55 StorrZerg wrote:
lol, she live or die after that?


How the hell should I know, I haven't stopped playing BW and smoking blunts since.
Smoke it!
getSome[703]
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States753 Posts
April 18 2010 23:00 GMT
#1324
On April 19 2010 07:30 Zeri wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 07:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I don't think selfless acts necessarily have to be irrational.

Here is an example: I would like a beta key. However, day9 deserves a beta key more than I do, because he contributes more. By my rational, I will withdraw from the contest because by my rational, someone deserves a beta key more than I do.


It's not selfless to give up your key to Day9. Yes, at first glance you are sacrificing your immediate needs in favor of someone else's. In long term, (if you have sufficiently proven that indeed day9 is more deserving) You have done an act which will benefit the community. And you benefit greatly from the community.

Therefore not selfless.


I think you and crate are taking my day9 example a little out of context here. By day9, I meant giving the key to someone who contributes to the community and because of that is overall more deserving of a beta key. I certainly did not imply it to mean "someone who will take the beta key and use it to provide more to me and the community."

Giving key to someone who is more deserving, reason for opting out: selfless, rational.
Running Log! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/5081b4d7a4a94c5e8fa20b01e668dfb6/calendar
cloudJR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States266 Posts
April 18 2010 23:05 GMT
#1325
On April 19 2010 07:58 Weedman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 07:55 StorrZerg wrote:
lol, she live or die after that?


How the hell should I know, I haven't stopped playing BW and smoking blunts since.


You stay classy lol
All I can hear are thousands of children screaming imbalance.......
snowdrift
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
France2061 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 23:32:44
April 18 2010 23:05 GMT
#1326
Good god, this has turned into a rather inane debate about the possibility of true selflessness and other subjects that, while they may be interesting in their own right, aren't very relevant to this thread (you can thank the various white knights for this derailment).

There's no need for these metaphysical interrogations -- there's a world of difference between the "selfishness" of someone who has contributed to the community and, considering it a fair exchange for his services, nominates himself in the hope of getting a beta key (emphasis on fair exchange); and the selfishness of a person who signs up with the sole intent of asking for a key and, when it is pointed out to him that he's going against the spirit of the contest, responds along the lines of "no no you don't understand, I REALLY need a key lol."
NaDa. Our Lord and sAviOr shall return. Learn to nydus you scrub
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
April 18 2010 23:08 GMT
#1327
On April 19 2010 07:58 Weedman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 07:55 StorrZerg wrote:
lol, she live or die after that?


How the hell should I know, I haven't stopped playing BW and smoking blunts since.

Then you should continue to keep playing BW?
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 23:14:47
April 18 2010 23:09 GMT
#1328
On April 19 2010 07:27 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:58 Cheree wrote:
Selfless opt-in:
- I want deserving members of the community to get the key, so I'm staying opted in so that the contest fails and the keys get distributed in a fairer manner.
- I want to win the key so that I can give it to someone who deserves it

You have yet to show anyone who actually is still in with these motivations. Even if they ostensibly do, they'd have to get a key and prove it, as plenty of people could pretend they'd give it to someone more deserving just to get some sympathy.

Why do I need to show the motivations? I'm not the one labeling people. The mere possibility is enough to undermine that this 'test' is full-proof at distinguishing people's motivations. Just one person being undeserving of the label is enough. It may be a 'trivial' decision for a lot of people, but I wouldn't even dare to say most people. I brought up the first example cause personally, if I were in the contest and also believed this contest to be real, I would have stayed in to undermine the contest because I don't believe it accomplishes what it's set out to do.

On April 19 2010 07:27 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:58 Cheree wrote:
Makes sense opt-in, person's not even thinking of selfishness/selflessness, but worthiness:
- I'm clearly a better contributor than anyone on the list, obviously they should step down and not me.

Again, probably dropped out. Plus, if they've actually made major, notable, contributions to the site, people aren't going to let a single event mar their opinions. I'm pretty sure if people like Ver or MrHoon were on this list, people wouldn't be bashing them.

The competition in this list isn't exactly fierce when you're looking at it from a worthiness perspective. If it was me in that list vs 100 people who'd just registered today to nominate themselves, I would be like 'Wtf, who are these guys? I'm not opting out. Why should I help them? I deserve it more than they do.' It's not a question of selfishness, the question is 'Are you so stupid to give these guys who didn't contribute a dime a shot over you?'

Anyway, I disagree with the decisions being 100% trivial or even close to. And unless you or I or someone wants to go through every single post and figure out their true intention behind their decisions, neither of us will be able to convince the other of the 'triviality' of the decisions.

*wants beta*
IndecisivePenguin
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States771 Posts
April 18 2010 23:09 GMT
#1329
On April 19 2010 08:05 snowdrift86 wrote:
Good god, this has turned into a rather inane debate about the possibility of true selflessness and other subjects that, while they may be interesting in their own right, aren't very relevant to this thread (you can thank the various white knights for this derailment).

There's no need for these metaphysical interrogations -- there's a world of difference between the "selfishness" of someone who has contributed to the community and, considering it a fair exchange for his services, nominates himself in the hope of getting a beta key (emphasis on fair exchange); and the selfishness of a person who signs up with the sole intent of asking for a key and, when it is pointed out to him that he's going against the spirit of the contest, respond along the lines of "no no you don't understand, I REALLY need a key lol."


It's almost as if the point of the thread has been completely lost. Almost

I'm pretty sure people will start remembering in the last two hours.
Zeri
Profile Joined March 2010
United States773 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 23:16:16
April 18 2010 23:11 GMT
#1330
As I said originally, I think this thread should be about discussing who is most deserving. But it seems that everyone needs convincing that selfishness is not important before we can have that discussion.
You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.
ClanOverdosed
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
691 Posts
April 18 2010 23:12 GMT
#1331
I got this guys!
Overdosed--www.overdosed.net
Zeri
Profile Joined March 2010
United States773 Posts
April 18 2010 23:14 GMT
#1332
On April 19 2010 08:00 getSome[703] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 07:30 Zeri wrote:
On April 19 2010 07:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I don't think selfless acts necessarily have to be irrational.

Here is an example: I would like a beta key. However, day9 deserves a beta key more than I do, because he contributes more. By my rational, I will withdraw from the contest because by my rational, someone deserves a beta key more than I do.


It's not selfless to give up your key to Day9. Yes, at first glance you are sacrificing your immediate needs in favor of someone else's. In long term, (if you have sufficiently proven that indeed day9 is more deserving) You have done an act which will benefit the community. And you benefit greatly from the community.

Therefore not selfless.


I think you and crate are taking my day9 example a little out of context here. By day9, I meant giving the key to someone who contributes to the community and because of that is overall more deserving of a beta key. I certainly did not imply it to mean "someone who will take the beta key and use it to provide more to me and the community."

Giving key to someone who is more deserving, reason for opting out: selfless, rational.


Not selfless. If you have proved that they are more deserving, there is a reason that they are more deserving. That reason is undoubtedly positive (they have worked hard, they give back, they are just plain good), and this action of rewarding them or giving them something will benefit some aspect of the community (to take it further, will benefit some aspect of the world). You do receive benefits from a benefited community (world).

Now. A truly selfless action would be to give a key to someone who will do something negative with it (lets go to extremes and say they will murder someone). Now if you still sacrificed your own needs for this person. Yes this would be selfless (and irrational!)

If it is not blatantly obvious, yes I do think selfishness is a good thing, but it must be thought out.
You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 18 2010 23:16 GMT
#1333
On April 19 2010 07:53 blipster8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:58 Cheree wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:43 TheYango wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:20 Cheree wrote:
Ah, the fun of being on the inside pissing out. The answer to "Why are you pissing on your members and newcommers?" is "You'll understand with time." Tough love, man. Tough love.

It's not tough love. People who entered the community without expecting some material reward for being a member are treated just fine, and, as seen in the other thread, plenty were rewarded for it. The only people who have been given the tough treatment are those who feel like they *deserve* something.

You're saying every single person on that list is guilty of wanting something without contributing anything? Are you saying those who are guilty deserve to be judged/labelled based on a silly one-time mistake?


Lest you forget: the list does not include every self-nominator; there was at least some effort not to include those who really have made significant contributions to TL.

The effort wasn't enough.
*wants beta*
Satallgeese
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States239 Posts
April 18 2010 23:17 GMT
#1334
I like how this has shifted so many perspectives, from the initial "I deserve it more then you, etc." to the intellectual argument over "Why I deserve it more than you, etc." and now to the moral argument of "I deserve it more then you because you would be a better person by giving it to me, etc.".

I'm curious to see where this is going to end up, lol.

Oh, and take note how the posts become more and more intricate and people flaunt more and more ridiculous diction to show how much more they deserve a key.
A good player practices until he gets it right. A great player practices until he can't get it wrong.
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 23:22:19
April 18 2010 23:19 GMT
#1335
On April 19 2010 07:58 Weedman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 07:55 StorrZerg wrote:
lol, she live or die after that?


How the hell should I know, I haven't stopped playing BW and smoking blunts since.

LOL quote of the century!

In other news...


+ Show Spoiler +
If your not kidding, please find out and get back to your life!


edit: idea! New system, last person to say "not it" must have their name crossed!

I shall start,

Not it!
(btw, I'm only half joking, I just really want for the numbers to diminish to 52 at least.
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
muta_micro
Profile Joined February 2010
United States183 Posts
April 18 2010 23:22 GMT
#1336
I think I deserve a beta-key because I'm new to TL and haven't contributed anything to the site yet, so it would be extremely funny to give one to me. Also I promise to log on more often regardless of whether I receive a key or not.
You know when you see a planet and you see that light, that planet isn't even there thats just a light, that's just your neighbor shining a flashlight into your backyard looking for coons.
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
April 18 2010 23:23 GMT
#1337
On April 19 2010 08:22 muta_micro wrote:
I think I deserve a beta-key because I'm new to TL and haven't contributed anything to the site yet, so it would be extremely funny to give one to me. Also I promise to log on more often regardless of whether I receive a key or not.

Your not on the list...
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Weedman
Profile Joined April 2010
United States65 Posts
April 18 2010 23:24 GMT
#1338
On April 19 2010 08:22 muta_micro wrote:
I think I deserve a beta-key because I'm new to TL and haven't contributed anything to the site yet, so it would be extremely funny to give one to me. Also I promise to log on more often regardless of whether I receive a key or not.


To bad you aren't on the list.

Smoke it!
cloudJR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States266 Posts
April 18 2010 23:25 GMT
#1339
This is how I look at this situation for most of the people still opting in. They want a beta key because they can't just run to the store and buy it. It's like I have to be special to have one. So they compete in every competition they see or hear from their friends and are still on the outside looking in.

Here is where I explain why I really feel like I should continue to opt-in with a chance to get a key. First and foremost I have never made an effort to compete for one beta key. I looked at it like well it will come out eventually, and I'm not going to kiss someone's ass to get one. Then I came across this site and absolutely fell in love with it. No joke I hardly ever turn my TV on because I'm always watching a stream and participating in every chat (I'm a big Orb fan lol). When I noticed this giveaway the first thing that came to mind was, "Wow if I had a key, I could actually contribute to this site." I mean lets be honest, who wants to listen to someone talk about build orders when they aren't even able to play the game? Yes I am new but I feel like everyone looks at "noobs" to this site as scavengers just looking for a hand-out. I explained to a higher up in a PM, not because I'm new doesn't mean I have nothing to offer. All of you were new to this site at some point. I have no doubt in my mind that whether I receive a key or not I want to become a strong and consistent member of TL.

So take that however you want, and sorry this message is so damn long lol. I just feel like I should explain why I'm still participating.
All I can hear are thousands of children screaming imbalance.......
StinkyBoots
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada76 Posts
April 18 2010 23:25 GMT
#1340
I don't know if its to late to opt in. I was gone for one day, "Parents 50th birthday", and I miss it XD Well if i can still opt in I'd like too. Oh BTW A big thank you too eXigent whom sent me a beautiful PM.
LOL You typed that huge long post in the "nominate someone to win a beta key" thread, and it's all for nothing. Teamliquid will never ever give away a betakey to someone with less than a thousand posts, especially someone who comes out of the blue and just nominates themselves. Big waste of time dude.....just like every single other person who nominated themselves.....they wont be getting anything at all due to the complete douchbaggery of actually nominating yourself...especially with your first fucking post on the website ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFL

Thanks Buddy Thumbs Up
Eh?
Prev 1 65 66 67 68 69 99 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 624
ProTech133
UpATreeSC 126
Nina 76
JuggernautJason51
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28860
Calm 2611
Mini 160
firebathero 117
Dewaltoss 101
soO 58
NaDa 29
HiyA 26
Bale 25
PianO 16
[ Show more ]
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc6820
XaKoH 384
monkeys_forever77
canceldota28
League of Legends
Doublelift1657
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1554
fl0m1434
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu730
Other Games
FrodaN2057
Beastyqt605
B2W.Neo418
mouzStarbuck365
Livibee188
ToD157
C9.Mang0150
KnowMe142
Trikslyr123
RotterdaM108
Mew2King49
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki37
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1053
• Shiphtur739
• WagamamaTV245
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 20m
Replay Cast
3h 5m
OSC
1d 3h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 14h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.