• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:59
CEST 02:59
KST 09:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8961 users

Beta Key Self-Nominators - Page 41

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 99 Next
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
April 17 2010 23:08 GMT
#801
On April 18 2010 08:07 KinkyZergling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:01 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:54 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:50 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:44 Slow Motion wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:43 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:40 huameng wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:36 3FFA wrote:
I think that TL handled this all wrong though. Why no drawing at all? That makes it so that there is no point in this. You could've at least selected some more users that are great contributors(like in the news post) instead of doing this. Now that I realize whats happening for real I just wish I hadn't nominated myself at all. -.- I'm starting to wonder why I should trust TL's staff at all anymore.

edit: edited for change of meaning.


Why do you think all the keys from the nomination thread are being used in this contest?

Ya but I didn't realize how they would handle the contest. This is just cruel. They should have just said that you can't nominate yourself instead of "and yes, you can nominate yourself".

Nah, they're just trying to extract as much amusement from the keys as possible while giving them away. Good entertainment for the rest of us.

Ya but for those who opted-in its just cruel and mean. I might've expected this from the normal users but not the STAFF! =(

I think you're taking this way too seriously. A lot of new users have posted and interacted a lot in this thread, and as a result we've gotten to know them much better. That's a positive side effect we can take away from this regardless of what happens.

And we've gotten to know the staff a lot better as well.

I don't understand, are you trying to be passive aggressive or something here? Because throughout this entire thread I've not bashed one user for self-nomination nor have I attacked anyone for not opting out. This thread is a fun competition where users who wouldn't have gotten keys get opportunities to get keys. It's also generated many pages of discussion and as a result we know a lot of users better.


A fun competition? dude this is a blood thirst over a beta key, I'm Sure some people are dieing to get their hands on one, and i wouldn't be surprised if fowl play pops up. Regardless your attacks on some of these new guys is quite saddening

can you quote a post were hot_bid attacks someone?
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
phlamez
Profile Joined January 2008
United States96 Posts
April 17 2010 23:09 GMT
#802
On April 18 2010 08:02 Cheree wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 07:56 phlamez wrote:
Some food for thought. Imagine you're on a lifeboat with a maximum capacity of 30 people and currently there are 60. You have to self opt yourselves to drown in order to save others and if none of you choose to do so you'll all drown. Do you want to do nothing and hope that other people are better human beings than you or take responsibility over your own fate and do something that might actually matter.

Once again someone with a bad analogy. The keys won't be destroyed if people don't opt out. People won't drown if people don't sacrifice themselves. They'll just find a better way of deciding who gets the keys/lifeboat seat. Wanting this contest to fail is the best course of action imo, cause the process of determining who gets a key is fucked up and doesn't even match with the intention of picking who's the most deserving.


Read the entire post before commenting.
1. Its an analogy, are you serious? People won't drown if they don't opt out of this contest? Really? I had no idea when I suggested that the situation would be similar that no one was drowning in this contest. My bad.
2. The intentions do match up, the intention has always been to promote community, initially this was through rewarding those who have contributed to this community, now its through demonstrating that when it comes down to it we can still behave as a community and be truly happy for others in this community to have keys.
3. Read my original post, the keys may not be destroyed if the people don't opt out, but our sense of community will certainly take a hit. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I will certainly think a lot less of TL and of the people belonging to it if the people in this thread can't look beyond their own self interests.
4. You don't seem to get that the situation has changed, it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.

MinoMino
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway1103 Posts
April 17 2010 23:10 GMT
#803
I sort of regret for not nominating myself, although I doubt enough people will opt out, I'm still missing out on a opportunity. But oh well, I just hope TL gets some more keys in the future. They should at least, considering the size of this site, 50 isn't all that many.
Blah.
synapse
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
China13814 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 23:11:49
April 17 2010 23:10 GMT
#804
On April 18 2010 08:07 KinkyZergling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:01 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:54 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:50 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:44 Slow Motion wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:43 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:40 huameng wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:36 3FFA wrote:
I think that TL handled this all wrong though. Why no drawing at all? That makes it so that there is no point in this. You could've at least selected some more users that are great contributors(like in the news post) instead of doing this. Now that I realize whats happening for real I just wish I hadn't nominated myself at all. -.- I'm starting to wonder why I should trust TL's staff at all anymore.

edit: edited for change of meaning.


Why do you think all the keys from the nomination thread are being used in this contest?

Ya but I didn't realize how they would handle the contest. This is just cruel. They should have just said that you can't nominate yourself instead of "and yes, you can nominate yourself".

Nah, they're just trying to extract as much amusement from the keys as possible while giving them away. Good entertainment for the rest of us.

Ya but for those who opted-in its just cruel and mean. I might've expected this from the normal users but not the STAFF! =(

I think you're taking this way too seriously. A lot of new users have posted and interacted a lot in this thread, and as a result we've gotten to know them much better. That's a positive side effect we can take away from this regardless of what happens.

And we've gotten to know the staff a lot better as well.

I don't understand, are you trying to be passive aggressive or something here? Because throughout this entire thread I've not bashed one user for self-nomination nor have I attacked anyone for not opting out. This thread is a fun competition where users who wouldn't have gotten keys get opportunities to get keys. It's also generated many pages of discussion and as a result we know a lot of users better.


A fun competition? dude this is a blood thirst over a beta key, I'm Sure some people are dieing to get their hands on one, and i wouldn't be surprised if fowl play pops up. Regardless your attacks on some of these new guys is quite saddening


Fowl play haha~ "Are you too chicken to opt out??"
:)
PhoenixDown
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada33 Posts
April 17 2010 23:11 GMT
#805
I don't see an issue with people nominating themselves. But how many people on that list can honestly say 'I deserve this more than anyone else I can possibly think of'. Even if someone is deserving of it I'm quite certain they would have the modestly not to nominate themselves.
IndecisivePenguin
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States771 Posts
April 17 2010 23:12 GMT
#806
We really do need to realize how great this opportunity was to begin with. It could have never happened in the first place.
NightOfTheDead
Profile Joined August 2009
Lithuania1711 Posts
April 17 2010 23:12 GMT
#807
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
......... it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.




This, however, it works both ways, those who nominated themselves as well as those who bash them.
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
April 17 2010 23:13 GMT
#808
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:02 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 phlamez wrote:
Some food for thought. Imagine you're on a lifeboat with a maximum capacity of 30 people and currently there are 60. You have to self opt yourselves to drown in order to save others and if none of you choose to do so you'll all drown. Do you want to do nothing and hope that other people are better human beings than you or take responsibility over your own fate and do something that might actually matter.

Once again someone with a bad analogy. The keys won't be destroyed if people don't opt out. People won't drown if people don't sacrifice themselves. They'll just find a better way of deciding who gets the keys/lifeboat seat. Wanting this contest to fail is the best course of action imo, cause the process of determining who gets a key is fucked up and doesn't even match with the intention of picking who's the most deserving.


Read the entire post before commenting.
1. Its an analogy, are you serious? People won't drown if they don't opt out of this contest? Really? I had no idea when I suggested that the situation would be similar that no one was drowning in this contest. My bad.
2. The intentions do match up, the intention has always been to promote community, initially this was through rewarding those who have contributed to this community, now its through demonstrating that when it comes down to it we can still behave as a community and be truly happy for others in this community to have keys.
3. Read my original post, the keys may not be destroyed if the people don't opt out, but our sense of community will certainly take a hit. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I will certainly think a lot less of TL and of the people belonging to it if the people in this thread can't look beyond their own self interests.
4. You don't seem to get that the situation has changed, it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.


while i agree with most of your sentiments i disagree with #3. the sense of community will not take a hit. the vast majority of the self-nominators are people who you and i have never heard of before. they may be a registered member of teamliquid.net but they are not yet part of the community. there is a clear distinction there that people need to be aware of.
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 17 2010 23:13 GMT
#809
On April 18 2010 08:01 Hot_Bid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 07:56 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:54 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:50 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:44 Slow Motion wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:43 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:40 huameng wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:36 3FFA wrote:
I think that TL handled this all wrong though. Why no drawing at all? That makes it so that there is no point in this. You could've at least selected some more users that are great contributors(like in the news post) instead of doing this. Now that I realize whats happening for real I just wish I hadn't nominated myself at all. -.- I'm starting to wonder why I should trust TL's staff at all anymore.

edit: edited for change of meaning.


Why do you think all the keys from the nomination thread are being used in this contest?

Ya but I didn't realize how they would handle the contest. This is just cruel. They should have just said that you can't nominate yourself instead of "and yes, you can nominate yourself".

Nah, they're just trying to extract as much amusement from the keys as possible while giving them away. Good entertainment for the rest of us.

Ya but for those who opted-in its just cruel and mean. I might've expected this from the normal users but not the STAFF! =(

I think you're taking this way too seriously. A lot of new users have posted and interacted a lot in this thread, and as a result we've gotten to know them much better. That's a positive side effect we can take away from this regardless of what happens.

And we've gotten to know the staff a lot better as well.

I don't understand, are you trying to be passive aggressive or something here? Because throughout this entire thread I've not bashed one user for self-nomination nor have I attacked anyone for not opting out. This thread is a fun competition where users who wouldn't have gotten keys get opportunities to get keys. It's also generated many pages of discussion and as a result we know a lot of users better.

I'm not talking about your posts, but your design. This contest is designed to fail from the get go, whether intentional or not. It doesn't even fit with the original intention of giving keys to those who are most deserving. It's misleading. The discourse of 'help someone else get a key' by opting out is also misleading. People will get these keys regardless, either in this contest or another contest. People opting out are only doing themselves a diservice. If the candidates really wanted to be selfless, they would make this contest fail so a better contest would be made or actually win and give their key to someone they think is most deserving, cause this contest certainly doesnt do that.
*wants beta*
KinkyZergling
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada15 Posts
April 17 2010 23:14 GMT
#810
On April 18 2010 08:08 LosingID8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:07 KinkyZergling wrote:
On April 18 2010 08:01 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:54 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:50 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:44 Slow Motion wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:43 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:40 huameng wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:36 3FFA wrote:
I think that TL handled this all wrong though. Why no drawing at all? That makes it so that there is no point in this. You could've at least selected some more users that are great contributors(like in the news post) instead of doing this. Now that I realize whats happening for real I just wish I hadn't nominated myself at all. -.- I'm starting to wonder why I should trust TL's staff at all anymore.

edit: edited for change of meaning.


Why do you think all the keys from the nomination thread are being used in this contest?

Ya but I didn't realize how they would handle the contest. This is just cruel. They should have just said that you can't nominate yourself instead of "and yes, you can nominate yourself".

Nah, they're just trying to extract as much amusement from the keys as possible while giving them away. Good entertainment for the rest of us.

Ya but for those who opted-in its just cruel and mean. I might've expected this from the normal users but not the STAFF! =(

I think you're taking this way too seriously. A lot of new users have posted and interacted a lot in this thread, and as a result we've gotten to know them much better. That's a positive side effect we can take away from this regardless of what happens.

And we've gotten to know the staff a lot better as well.

I don't understand, are you trying to be passive aggressive or something here? Because throughout this entire thread I've not bashed one user for self-nomination nor have I attacked anyone for not opting out. This thread is a fun competition where users who wouldn't have gotten keys get opportunities to get keys. It's also generated many pages of discussion and as a result we know a lot of users better.


A fun competition? dude this is a blood thirst over a beta key, I'm Sure some people are dieing to get their hands on one, and i wouldn't be surprised if fowl play pops up. Regardless your attacks on some of these new guys is quite saddening

can you quote a post were hot_bid attacks someone?


direct attack naming a specific person never, hes to smart for that
I want to be a Zergling!
Moodwen
Profile Joined April 2010
United States28 Posts
April 17 2010 23:14 GMT
#811
Hopefully the keys go to the people who deserved a self-nomination rather than the selfish pricks who stayed in. Should make for an interesting thread though.
phlamez
Profile Joined January 2008
United States96 Posts
April 17 2010 23:15 GMT
#812
On April 18 2010 08:12 NightOfTheDead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
......... it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.




This, however, it works both ways, those who nominated themselves as well as those who bash them.


I am fine with people who chose to nominate themselves. I don't believe that to be nearly as egregious as continuing to remain on that list when it goes against the reason why we have these keys in the first place.
danl9rm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States3111 Posts
April 17 2010 23:16 GMT
#813
On April 18 2010 08:10 synapse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:07 KinkyZergling wrote:
On April 18 2010 08:01 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:54 Hot_Bid wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:50 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:44 Slow Motion wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:43 3FFA wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:40 huameng wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:36 3FFA wrote:
I think that TL handled this all wrong though. Why no drawing at all? That makes it so that there is no point in this. You could've at least selected some more users that are great contributors(like in the news post) instead of doing this. Now that I realize whats happening for real I just wish I hadn't nominated myself at all. -.- I'm starting to wonder why I should trust TL's staff at all anymore.

edit: edited for change of meaning.


Why do you think all the keys from the nomination thread are being used in this contest?

Ya but I didn't realize how they would handle the contest. This is just cruel. They should have just said that you can't nominate yourself instead of "and yes, you can nominate yourself".

Nah, they're just trying to extract as much amusement from the keys as possible while giving them away. Good entertainment for the rest of us.

Ya but for those who opted-in its just cruel and mean. I might've expected this from the normal users but not the STAFF! =(

I think you're taking this way too seriously. A lot of new users have posted and interacted a lot in this thread, and as a result we've gotten to know them much better. That's a positive side effect we can take away from this regardless of what happens.

And we've gotten to know the staff a lot better as well.

I don't understand, are you trying to be passive aggressive or something here? Because throughout this entire thread I've not bashed one user for self-nomination nor have I attacked anyone for not opting out. This thread is a fun competition where users who wouldn't have gotten keys get opportunities to get keys. It's also generated many pages of discussion and as a result we know a lot of users better.


A fun competition? dude this is a blood thirst over a beta key, I'm Sure some people are dieing to get their hands on one, and i wouldn't be surprised if fowl play pops up. Regardless your attacks on some of these new guys is quite saddening


Fowl play haha~ "Are you too chicken to opt out??"


LOLOL
"Science has so well established that the preborn baby in the womb is a living human being that most pro-choice activists have conceded the point. ..since the abortion proponents have lost the science argument, they are now advocating an existential one."
phlamez
Profile Joined January 2008
United States96 Posts
April 17 2010 23:17 GMT
#814
On April 18 2010 08:13 LosingID8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
On April 18 2010 08:02 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 phlamez wrote:
Some food for thought. Imagine you're on a lifeboat with a maximum capacity of 30 people and currently there are 60. You have to self opt yourselves to drown in order to save others and if none of you choose to do so you'll all drown. Do you want to do nothing and hope that other people are better human beings than you or take responsibility over your own fate and do something that might actually matter.

Once again someone with a bad analogy. The keys won't be destroyed if people don't opt out. People won't drown if people don't sacrifice themselves. They'll just find a better way of deciding who gets the keys/lifeboat seat. Wanting this contest to fail is the best course of action imo, cause the process of determining who gets a key is fucked up and doesn't even match with the intention of picking who's the most deserving.


Read the entire post before commenting.
1. Its an analogy, are you serious? People won't drown if they don't opt out of this contest? Really? I had no idea when I suggested that the situation would be similar that no one was drowning in this contest. My bad.
2. The intentions do match up, the intention has always been to promote community, initially this was through rewarding those who have contributed to this community, now its through demonstrating that when it comes down to it we can still behave as a community and be truly happy for others in this community to have keys.
3. Read my original post, the keys may not be destroyed if the people don't opt out, but our sense of community will certainly take a hit. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I will certainly think a lot less of TL and of the people belonging to it if the people in this thread can't look beyond their own self interests.
4. You don't seem to get that the situation has changed, it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.


while i agree with most of your sentiments i disagree with #3. the sense of community will not take a hit. the vast majority of the self-nominators are people who you and i have never heard of before. they may be a registered member of teamliquid.net but they are not yet part of the community. there is a clear distinction there that people need to be aware of.


Yeah I'll agree with that.
danl9rm
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States3111 Posts
April 17 2010 23:18 GMT
#815
On April 18 2010 08:14 Moodwen wrote:
Hopefully the keys go to the people who deserved a self-nomination rather than the selfish pricks who stayed in. Should make for an interesting thread though.


so many people are saying this, but it seems quite silly to me.
"Science has so well established that the preborn baby in the womb is a living human being that most pro-choice activists have conceded the point. ..since the abortion proponents have lost the science argument, they are now advocating an existential one."
LordWeird
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States3411 Posts
April 17 2010 23:19 GMT
#816
On April 18 2010 08:13 LosingID8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
On April 18 2010 08:02 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 phlamez wrote:
Some food for thought. Imagine you're on a lifeboat with a maximum capacity of 30 people and currently there are 60. You have to self opt yourselves to drown in order to save others and if none of you choose to do so you'll all drown. Do you want to do nothing and hope that other people are better human beings than you or take responsibility over your own fate and do something that might actually matter.

Once again someone with a bad analogy. The keys won't be destroyed if people don't opt out. People won't drown if people don't sacrifice themselves. They'll just find a better way of deciding who gets the keys/lifeboat seat. Wanting this contest to fail is the best course of action imo, cause the process of determining who gets a key is fucked up and doesn't even match with the intention of picking who's the most deserving.


Read the entire post before commenting.
1. Its an analogy, are you serious? People won't drown if they don't opt out of this contest? Really? I had no idea when I suggested that the situation would be similar that no one was drowning in this contest. My bad.
2. The intentions do match up, the intention has always been to promote community, initially this was through rewarding those who have contributed to this community, now its through demonstrating that when it comes down to it we can still behave as a community and be truly happy for others in this community to have keys.
3. Read my original post, the keys may not be destroyed if the people don't opt out, but our sense of community will certainly take a hit. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I will certainly think a lot less of TL and of the people belonging to it if the people in this thread can't look beyond their own self interests.
4. You don't seem to get that the situation has changed, it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.


while i agree with most of your sentiments i disagree with #3. the sense of community will not take a hit. the vast majority of the self-nominators are people who you and i have never heard of before. they may be a registered member of teamliquid.net but they are not yet part of the community. there is a clear distinction there that people need to be aware of.


The funny part is that this contest was designed to help the users who would otherwise not really have a chance at getting a key through their community merits. It's hard enough to pick between the dozens of worthy posters let alone the countless unknowns.
Chains none
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 23:30:49
April 17 2010 23:27 GMT
#817
On April 18 2010 08:09 phlamez wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 18 2010 08:02 Cheree wrote:
On April 18 2010 07:56 phlamez wrote:
Some food for thought. Imagine you're on a lifeboat with a maximum capacity of 30 people and currently there are 60. You have to self opt yourselves to drown in order to save others and if none of you choose to do so you'll all drown. Do you want to do nothing and hope that other people are better human beings than you or take responsibility over your own fate and do something that might actually matter.

Once again someone with a bad analogy. The keys won't be destroyed if people don't opt out. People won't drown if people don't sacrifice themselves. They'll just find a better way of deciding who gets the keys/lifeboat seat. Wanting this contest to fail is the best course of action imo, cause the process of determining who gets a key is fucked up and doesn't even match with the intention of picking who's the most deserving.


Read the entire post before commenting.
1. Its an analogy, are you serious? People won't drown if they don't opt out of this contest? Really? I had no idea when I suggested that the situation would be similar that no one was drowning in this contest. My bad.
2. The intentions do match up, the intention has always been to promote community, initially this was through rewarding those who have contributed to this community, now its through demonstrating that when it comes down to it we can still behave as a community and be truly happy for others in this community to have keys.
3. Read my original post, the keys may not be destroyed if the people don't opt out, but our sense of community will certainly take a hit. Maybe I'm the only person who feels this way but I will certainly think a lot less of TL and of the people belonging to it if the people in this thread can't look beyond their own self interests.
4. You don't seem to get that the situation has changed, it's not simply a question of who gets keys anymore, its about how people behave when presented with this situation. The beta isn't going to last forever, everyone will get to play the game at some point, who gets or who doesn't get a key will have little impact, how you all behave today will have a much more lasting impression.


About 1, you were the one who brought up the analogy where drowning would be the equivalent of no one wins, when in fact that is not the case. If no one wins, the keys will be distributed again.
2. The intention was to give people who are most deserving the key. People have various reasons for staying or opting out, not necessarily because they want to promote community. If there's one bad apple, which there is bound to be, the whole intention of the contest goes tits up.
3. The contest was designed to fail from the start, I don't see how you could expect it to succeed. In the perfect world, those who dont think they deserve the key would step down in favor of those who do. In reality, that's not true. So even if this contest ends up with winners, they won't be the most deserving like intended and leave a bad taste in the mouths of those who were more deserving than them.
4. In the long run, it will have little impact. TL has a chance of showing what kind of community they promote, yet this contest is pitting people against eachother and those who are selfless are not the ones being rewarded if this contest succeeds.
*wants beta*
Bear4188
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1797 Posts
April 17 2010 23:32 GMT
#818
As a newbie, I'm going to try to summarize what the hell is going on here.

1) TL offered up the opportunity for members to nominate anyone in the community who they thought were deserving of a beta key.

2) Some people self nominated. Some are arguably deserving people who wanted to make sure they didn't get overlooked. Others were people who were making their first post a "LOL GIMME A KEY."

3) Members of the community (not just people with an account, but people who've stuck around for awhile) are upset that people are hijacking what was seemingly intended to put keys in the hands of people who would greatly appreciate them.

4) TL creates this thread such that self nominees could either explain themselves or withdraw their nomination upon realizing the real intent of the giveaway.

5) Some new posters see that the contest was not meant to be a raffle, but as an effort to get them to community contributors. They withdraw stating that they misunderstood and might even be interested in partaking in the community in the future

6) The few worthy self nominees see that things have gotten a little out of hand and pull out as well, knowing that they'll still be recognized by their community if they are actually worthy.

7) The rest, having the intent of the nominations explained to them, continue to insist that they are still more deserving of keys earmarked for members of the TL community than contributing members of said community. They are met with derision.

As an aside, to new people claiming the community is unwelcoming:
I am myself a newbie. The difference is I did not come here expecting to be given anything. I came here to watch some of the awesome streams, read the threads, and participate however I can. Without a key I obviously couldn't contribute any meaningful in game knowledge. However, TL is an esports site, and that consists of several things. Even without a key you can contribute as a spectator. There are multiple threads from streamers who want input whether it be questions to be answered, feedback on quality, topics of interest, etc. So, you can still contribute and will find the existing community to be welcoming of you (as evidenced by the keys awarded to myself and 11 other newbies for making an effort to join the community). If you're not at all interested in watching esports than this site probably isn't for you anyway.
"I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something." - R. Feynman
ComradeDover
Profile Joined November 2009
Bulgaria758 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 23:36:41
April 17 2010 23:34 GMT
#819
On April 18 2010 07:48 Hot_Bid wrote:
How is everyone so sure how many keys we have to give away for this? We haven't revealed how many we allocated, and I said earlier the number is much larger than people expect.


Mostly because, unless by some hilarious coincidence Blizzard sent another truckload, you're bound by the original 50 recieved, and already more than 50 people have decided to stay in. I can see the new rules being added all the time in an attempt to cull the pool, but unless you've secured a new source of keys I don't see this happening.

EDIT: Holy shit, that's it. HB has a hidden expo up somewhere. :O
Bring back 2v2s!
baller
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
527 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-17 23:38:48
April 17 2010 23:37 GMT
#820
i think its funny mad peeps think watching streams or loving/playing starcraft is "contributing". helping others is contributing. doing work 4 the site is contributing. entertaining urself by doing something u choose to do is not contributing. simply existing on a website is not "contributing".

its like going to some1s house, not talking to the ppl there, watching the TV that they bought, eating the food they made, and then saying "ur welcome every1, no need 2 thank me just gimme a beta key"
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 99 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings101
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE161
SpeCial 123
StarCraft: Brood War
Bale 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever581
NeuroSwarm180
League of Legends
Doublelift4735
Counter-Strike
taco 304
Other Games
summit1g7126
JimRising 462
C9.Mang0331
ToD102
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
StarCraft 2
BasetradeTV160
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP79
• poizon28 40
• davetesta25
• Adnapsc2 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Scarra919
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
9h 1m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
16h 1m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
18h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 9h
Patches Events
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 18h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.