• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:39
CEST 18:39
KST 01:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10249 users

HotS balance update #8 - Page 99

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 HotS
2296 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 97 98 99 100 101 115 Next
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 07 2012 20:41 GMT
#1961
On December 08 2012 05:32 JDub wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?


Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.

New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:18 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:03 TheRabidDeer wrote:
This is why MM is OP in drops


As long as the medivac has energy, no amount of lings will kill the drop if they get into a good position.

Even on a map that does have such a small area behind the mineral line, if you had just used the tiniest bit of micro to send a pack of lings through the top and left entrances you could have been dealing constant damage to 3 marines rather than 1 and cleaned them all up. Maybe caduceus reactor is overpowered, maybe it isn't, but you won't prove anything either way by using such contrived and unreasonable examples.

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?

I just think that it is a bit of a ridiculous change when medivac drops in WoL were already REALLY strong in pretty much every matchup.
Queen and spore to kill the medivac. Drops are supposed to do dmg or at least force an investment (spors). There is nothing OP there. It's like having 30 marines with their backs to a wall and dyeing to banelings, and crying OP...it's just stupid.

Queen and spore wont kill the medivac unless he doesnt pay attention to the drop at all. Historically, they have not stopped drops.

Do you want to imply you've never seen Zergs split off a few banelings to help with their drop defense, or an infestor, rather than trying to use pure lings? If you add 2 spine crawlers and a queen to that situation (with the queen targeting down the medivac) then it becomes much more reasonable.

In any case, try dropping 4 hellbats in that spot. Then infinity cracklings won't be able to force the medivac to even use any energy. Zerg can't deal with drops using pure ling in HotS. It's not a big deal.

Do you want to imply that terrans lose marines to banelings when they drop? Also, one infestor with queen doesnt stop the drop (assuming the medivac reaches solid ground to unload), nor does 1 queen and 2 spines. Spines (again, historically) dont stop drops but stall them for the army to return.

I dont get how terrans can think that drops are at all balanced with both of these changes in place. Hell, even some terrans have said "patch terran time" or something along those lines. When people of your own race say something like that, you know something is not quite right.
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 07 2012 20:45 GMT
#1962
On December 08 2012 05:41 TimENT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:18 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:03 TheRabidDeer wrote:
This is why MM is OP in drops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1X2xK6p5k&feature=youtu.be

As long as the medivac has energy, no amount of lings will kill the drop if they get into a good position.

Even on a map that does have such a small area behind the mineral line, if you had just used the tiniest bit of micro to send a pack of lings through the top and left entrances you could have been dealing constant damage to 3 marines rather than 1 and cleaned them all up. Maybe caduceus reactor is overpowered, maybe it isn't, but you won't prove anything either way by using such contrived and unreasonable examples.

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?


No, I am not implying that. In WoL drops were dealt with in the following ways for each race(high level, which you are implying you don't watch):
Z
Mutas
Spores
Queens
Lings+Infestors
Creep spread to spot drops
Etc(but never pure lings, in high level TvZ)

Mutas have rarely seen use in ZvT for a long time.
I rarely see spores used
Queens are obviously used because they can help
Lings + infestors is popular, however tons of drops still get through at the professional level
Creep spread is cleaned up by decent terrans and rarely reaches points able to spot drops
Lings are OFTEN used in high level ZvT because of their speed and they always reach the drop first.

People saying that lings are never used to deal with drops are strange and in denial.
TimENT
Profile Joined November 2012
United States1425 Posts
December 07 2012 20:48 GMT
#1963
On December 08 2012 05:45 TheRabidDeer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:41 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:18 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
[quote]
Even on a map that does have such a small area behind the mineral line, if you had just used the tiniest bit of micro to send a pack of lings through the top and left entrances you could have been dealing constant damage to 3 marines rather than 1 and cleaned them all up. Maybe caduceus reactor is overpowered, maybe it isn't, but you won't prove anything either way by using such contrived and unreasonable examples.

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?


No, I am not implying that. In WoL drops were dealt with in the following ways for each race(high level, which you are implying you don't watch):
Z
Mutas
Spores
Queens
Lings+Infestors
Creep spread to spot drops
Etc(but never pure lings, in high level TvZ)

Mutas have rarely seen use in ZvT for a long time.
I rarely see spores used
Queens are obviously used because they can help
Lings + infestors is popular, however tons of drops still get through at the professional level
Creep spread is cleaned up by decent terrans and rarely reaches points able to spot drops
Lings are OFTEN used in high level ZvT because of their speed and they always reach the drop first.

People saying that lings are never used to deal with drops are strange and in denial.


Are you implying that Terran players have been able to drop and do damage over the past year? Are you implying that Zerg is actually not able to defend drops? Are you implying that Zs can't defend drops with just lings anymore, when they clearly don't have any other options? Are you implying that you actually don't know anything about Starcraft 2?
Barcelona / Arsenal Fan!
Sapphire.lux
Profile Joined July 2010
Romania2620 Posts
December 07 2012 20:49 GMT
#1964
On December 08 2012 05:45 TheRabidDeer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:41 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:18 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
[quote]
Even on a map that does have such a small area behind the mineral line, if you had just used the tiniest bit of micro to send a pack of lings through the top and left entrances you could have been dealing constant damage to 3 marines rather than 1 and cleaned them all up. Maybe caduceus reactor is overpowered, maybe it isn't, but you won't prove anything either way by using such contrived and unreasonable examples.

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?


No, I am not implying that. In WoL drops were dealt with in the following ways for each race(high level, which you are implying you don't watch):
Z
Mutas
Spores
Queens
Lings+Infestors
Creep spread to spot drops
Etc(but never pure lings, in high level TvZ)

Mutas have rarely seen use in ZvT for a long time.
I rarely see spores used
Queens are obviously used because they can help
Lings + infestors is popular, however tons of drops still get through at the professional level
Creep spread is cleaned up by decent terrans and rarely reaches points able to spot drops
Lings are OFTEN used in high level ZvT because of their speed and they always reach the drop first.

People saying that lings are never used to deal with drops are strange and in denial.

They are used but not alone, usually with Infestors or Banelings.
Head Coach Park: "They should buff tanks!"
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 07 2012 20:50 GMT
#1965
Watching WhiteRa stream a bit

Voidray seems REALLY good at killing armored things now.
No need to be charged, just have 2 or 3 of them attacking roaches or swarm host after eliminating the anti air mais they drop like fly.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
SarcasmMonster
Profile Joined October 2011
3136 Posts
December 07 2012 20:54 GMT
#1966
I don't like the new Void Ray
I don't like the old Void Ray neither
MMA: The true King of Wings
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
December 07 2012 20:57 GMT
#1967
On December 08 2012 05:41 TheRabidDeer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:32 JDub wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:18 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
[quote]
Even on a map that does have such a small area behind the mineral line, if you had just used the tiniest bit of micro to send a pack of lings through the top and left entrances you could have been dealing constant damage to 3 marines rather than 1 and cleaned them all up. Maybe caduceus reactor is overpowered, maybe it isn't, but you won't prove anything either way by using such contrived and unreasonable examples.

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?

I just think that it is a bit of a ridiculous change when medivac drops in WoL were already REALLY strong in pretty much every matchup.
Queen and spore to kill the medivac. Drops are supposed to do dmg or at least force an investment (spors). There is nothing OP there. It's like having 30 marines with their backs to a wall and dyeing to banelings, and crying OP...it's just stupid.

Queen and spore wont kill the medivac unless he doesnt pay attention to the drop at all. Historically, they have not stopped drops.

Do you want to imply you've never seen Zergs split off a few banelings to help with their drop defense, or an infestor, rather than trying to use pure lings? If you add 2 spine crawlers and a queen to that situation (with the queen targeting down the medivac) then it becomes much more reasonable.

In any case, try dropping 4 hellbats in that spot. Then infinity cracklings won't be able to force the medivac to even use any energy. Zerg can't deal with drops using pure ling in HotS. It's not a big deal.

Do you want to imply that terrans lose marines to banelings when they drop? Also, one infestor with queen doesnt stop the drop (assuming the medivac reaches solid ground to unload), nor does 1 queen and 2 spines. Spines (again, historically) dont stop drops but stall them for the army to return.

I dont get how terrans can think that drops are at all balanced with both of these changes in place. Hell, even some terrans have said "patch terran time" or something along those lines. When people of your own race say something like that, you know something is not quite right.

Yes, they do lose marines to banelings when they drop.

And I'm not saying that 2 spines and a queen hold the drop, I'm saying that 2 spines and a queen being there when you drop COMBINED with lings running in will clean up the drop. And you haven't seen spores used??? Really??

I'm a Zerg player, btw.
CakeSauc3
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1437 Posts
December 07 2012 20:57 GMT
#1968
On December 08 2012 05:49 Sapphire.lux wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:45 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:41 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
[quote]
On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?


No, I am not implying that. In WoL drops were dealt with in the following ways for each race(high level, which you are implying you don't watch):
Z
Mutas
Spores
Queens
Lings+Infestors
Creep spread to spot drops
Etc(but never pure lings, in high level TvZ)

Mutas have rarely seen use in ZvT for a long time.
I rarely see spores used
Queens are obviously used because they can help
Lings + infestors is popular, however tons of drops still get through at the professional level
Creep spread is cleaned up by decent terrans and rarely reaches points able to spot drops
Lings are OFTEN used in high level ZvT because of their speed and they always reach the drop first.

People saying that lings are never used to deal with drops are strange and in denial.

They are used but not alone, usually with Infestors or Banelings.


Just played a really fun TvZ in which my opponent tried to use the old-school rine+medis and nothing else to harass all over the map. Well, guess what?

Mutas are AWESOME now. The faster .25 speed really is noticeable, and catching those medivacs isn't hard at all with them. Also, keeping a viper along for abduction and blinding cloud really works well. And then it's easy to go on the offense, also, because blinding cloud not only works on rines, but turrets, too :D

I'm pretty much convinced that mutas can shut down drops and be used offensively in a very effective way that they weren't able to be used in WoL. This game freaking rocks.

Also: I did use lings and banelings to help shut down the rines. Can't depend on only muta and viper for everything, ya know?
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-07 21:08:24
December 07 2012 20:57 GMT
#1969
wow. well we finally got the lair tech hydra speed upgrade but...at what cost. playing broodlord infestor is...definitely dead what with the increased viability of thors, stronger drops and the projectile on fungal. really wish they'd kept ultra burrow charge though, as muta-ling into ultra may end up being the new zerg lategame, especially against terran.

most of it seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure I see the need for Phoenix range buffs. seems life they counter mutas a bit too much, but I'm biased as a zerg player. also dark templar buff. really? do we really need to see a bunch more dt rushes? no, no we do not.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
December 07 2012 21:03 GMT
#1970
On December 08 2012 05:48 TimENT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:45 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:41 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
[quote]
On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?


No, I am not implying that. In WoL drops were dealt with in the following ways for each race(high level, which you are implying you don't watch):
Z
Mutas
Spores
Queens
Lings+Infestors
Creep spread to spot drops
Etc(but never pure lings, in high level TvZ)

Mutas have rarely seen use in ZvT for a long time.
I rarely see spores used
Queens are obviously used because they can help
Lings + infestors is popular, however tons of drops still get through at the professional level
Creep spread is cleaned up by decent terrans and rarely reaches points able to spot drops
Lings are OFTEN used in high level ZvT because of their speed and they always reach the drop first.

People saying that lings are never used to deal with drops are strange and in denial.


Are you implying that Terran players have been able to drop and do damage over the past year? Are you implying that Zerg is actually not able to defend drops? Are you implying that Zs can't defend drops with just lings anymore, when they clearly don't have any other options? Are you implying that you actually don't know anything about Starcraft 2?

I am implying that T drops were powerful enough without doubling the healing and giving an ability that lets medivacs escape even mutalisks. Drops have consistently done a lot of damage, particularly in the late game when the number of bases increase and the zerg army becomes more immobile (late game zerg units are a fair amount slower than their early units). I am not saying that zerg is unable to defend drops, just that T drops do not need buffs.

Also, before lings could clean up drops by themselves, mutas were brought in to kill the medivacs so they couldnt pick up and escape. Infestors were often used in the same fashion (fungal + 3 IT's then fungal).
TheRabidDeer
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States3806 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-07 21:09:16
December 07 2012 21:08 GMT
#1971
On December 08 2012 05:57 JDub wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:41 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:32 JDub wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:25 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:17 TimENT wrote:
On December 08 2012 05:09 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 mannerless wrote:

On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Lil zerg boi gonna cwy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrMGPvjPtM8

Oh, sorry. I guess T is just supposed to be blatantly overpowered for the first year of every release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YJNB1lBADI&feature=youtu.be
New vid with adrenal lings going in both sides

EDIT:
On December 08 2012 05:05 Twilight Sparkle wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:52 TheRabidDeer wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:50 s3rp wrote:
On December 08 2012 04:48 TheRabidDeer wrote:
[quote]
On the test map there is no way to get in the top, I tried to in that clip but lings dont fit. Sending lings around the left side still doesnt clear up the drop either, it does kill a single marine though. I will upload that one.

I agree that the situation isnt realistic, but neither is needing 45 lings to kill a marine drop.


Then don't build melee units to clear up entrechned ranged units.

I am sorry that roaches, banelings and hydras are all too slow to run back to the base for every single drop that occurs which will then escape because of an 80% speed boost ability on short cooldown.

PS: Adrenal lings still lose in the map I posted. Have done several tests and the best case was 3 marines killed with 45 3/3 adrenal lings

Queens, spores and spines all do an adequate job though.

Actually, queens spores and spines all do horribly. They do an adequate job of stalling, but they have to be remade every time and you still have to bring your army back to deal with the drop.


Sigh..this is just stupid. Let's wait a while to really see. You have medivacs and marines vs lings in a bad position. Where's the viper to use blinding cloud on that position? Where's the viper to abduct the medivac outta there? Where are the mutas when they should be sniping the drop in the air? Where are the hydras? Where are the spores? Where are the banelings? Where are the fungals? Where are the corruptors? Where are the infested terran? So many variables you are just ignoring. I never understood testing things like this, when it's really obvious which will win in that situation...

The testing is to show a particular situation which has been a common occurrence throughout WoL. Unless you want to imply that you havent seen a marine/medivac drop in WoL in a ZvT?

I just think that it is a bit of a ridiculous change when medivac drops in WoL were already REALLY strong in pretty much every matchup.
Queen and spore to kill the medivac. Drops are supposed to do dmg or at least force an investment (spors). There is nothing OP there. It's like having 30 marines with their backs to a wall and dyeing to banelings, and crying OP...it's just stupid.

Queen and spore wont kill the medivac unless he doesnt pay attention to the drop at all. Historically, they have not stopped drops.

Do you want to imply you've never seen Zergs split off a few banelings to help with their drop defense, or an infestor, rather than trying to use pure lings? If you add 2 spine crawlers and a queen to that situation (with the queen targeting down the medivac) then it becomes much more reasonable.

In any case, try dropping 4 hellbats in that spot. Then infinity cracklings won't be able to force the medivac to even use any energy. Zerg can't deal with drops using pure ling in HotS. It's not a big deal.

Do you want to imply that terrans lose marines to banelings when they drop? Also, one infestor with queen doesnt stop the drop (assuming the medivac reaches solid ground to unload), nor does 1 queen and 2 spines. Spines (again, historically) dont stop drops but stall them for the army to return.

I dont get how terrans can think that drops are at all balanced with both of these changes in place. Hell, even some terrans have said "patch terran time" or something along those lines. When people of your own race say something like that, you know something is not quite right.

Yes, they do lose marines to banelings when they drop.

And I'm not saying that 2 spines and a queen hold the drop, I'm saying that 2 spines and a queen being there when you drop COMBINED with lings running in will clean up the drop. And you haven't seen spores used??? Really??

I'm a Zerg player, btw.

Strange, most pros that I see pick their drop back up before banelings get to them (and some pros even picking off several banelings through targetting before they do). Are we watching the same professionals? Also, did you not miss the fact that I said spines and queen STALL the drop to let your ARMY get there to defend? Which is exactly what youre saying. And yes, I often dont see spores used to an effect that prevents a drop. I also dont see spores being an effective means with the speed boost ability that will let them get by even 2 spores (and depending on how early the queen gets to them, possibly even 2 spores + queen) now without losing the medivac.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
December 07 2012 21:09 GMT
#1972
On December 08 2012 05:57 Lobotomist wrote:
wow. well we finally got the lair tech hydra speed upgrade but...at what cost. playing broodlord infestor is...definitely dead what with the increased viability of thors, stronger drops and the projectile on fungal. really wish they'd kept ultra burrow charge though, as muta-ling into ultra may end up being the new zerg lategame, especially against terran.

most of it seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure I see the need for Phoenix range buffs. seems life they counter mutas a bit too much, but I'm biased as a zerg player. also dark templar buff. really? do we really need to see a bunch more dt rushes? no, no we do not.


Without the +1 range, pheonix would probably be totaly unusable against buffed mutalisk to be fair
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Hetz
Profile Joined September 2010
196 Posts
December 07 2012 21:40 GMT
#1973
Nice patch!!

Too bad I quit haha.
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
December 07 2012 21:58 GMT
#1974
I'm looking forward to some awesome zvt where terran is trying to kite ultras while zerg tries to hit with fungals and blinding clouds.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
Infernal_dream
Profile Joined September 2011
United States2359 Posts
December 07 2012 22:10 GMT
#1975
On December 08 2012 06:09 Noocta wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 08 2012 05:57 Lobotomist wrote:
wow. well we finally got the lair tech hydra speed upgrade but...at what cost. playing broodlord infestor is...definitely dead what with the increased viability of thors, stronger drops and the projectile on fungal. really wish they'd kept ultra burrow charge though, as muta-ling into ultra may end up being the new zerg lategame, especially against terran.

most of it seems pretty cool, but I'm not sure I see the need for Phoenix range buffs. seems life they counter mutas a bit too much, but I'm biased as a zerg player. also dark templar buff. really? do we really need to see a bunch more dt rushes? no, no we do not.


Without the +1 range, pheonix would probably be totaly unusable against buffed mutalisk to be fair


Pheonix are supposed to dominate mutas. It's a hard counter. Just like you dont run marines into 20 sieged tanks you dont run mutas into pheonix. The dt buff is because detection is gained extremely early for every race and is not as all in anymore. You can defend against it much more easily. There'd be no reason to ever go dt first in HoTS if this buff wasn't created.
XerrolAvengerII
Profile Joined January 2010
United States510 Posts
December 07 2012 22:27 GMT
#1976
so many changes for no reason! It's almost like they were bored and said hey lets do as much crazy shit as possible!

Also, what's up with Raven getting Yamato Cannon now??? poor BCs, nobody loves them!
Hey! Hey! Can I interest you in some fruit? Would you like a Banana!?...
chadissilent
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada1187 Posts
December 07 2012 22:36 GMT
#1977
The shared upgrades for mech is just retarded... Late game terran can just make hit squads of 3-3 banshees to go tear up expansions, it's ridiculous.
Uzee13
Profile Joined June 2012
United States17 Posts
December 07 2012 22:54 GMT
#1978
I think this is some of the most exciting balance changes to come out so far. It should be a major step in the right direction for HoTS.
Keep calm and carry on
Glitch890
Profile Joined July 2011
22 Posts
December 07 2012 23:02 GMT
#1979
Damn. Right when ultras were starting to get interesting. The rest of the changes seem good however, I'm excited to try these out.
FeUerFlieGe
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1193 Posts
December 07 2012 23:03 GMT
#1980
This patch honestly gave me hope for the future of SC2!
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores. - Shakespeare
Prev 1 97 98 99 100 101 115 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 21m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Codebar 38
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1156
Shuttle 1002
Mini 812
Soma 626
actioN 474
Rush 378
Light 346
Larva 314
BeSt 235
Stork 217
[ Show more ]
Snow 161
hero 135
firebathero 117
Aegong 70
Zeus 65
Barracks 64
Liquid`Ret 58
Sexy 31
Shinee 28
Shine 28
JYJ 27
soO 26
ToSsGirL 23
Bale 22
Trap 17
sorry 16
zelot 14
Terrorterran 13
Rock 12
Sacsri 7
Dewaltoss 0
Dota 2
Gorgc7929
qojqva2376
Dendi900
420jenkins161
Counter-Strike
fl0m1243
Fnx 766
x6flipin625
pashabiceps514
ceh9379
edward59
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5742
Grubby2738
Liquid`Hasu65
Other Games
singsing1488
byalli469
B2W.Neo358
Beastyqt346
Khaldor220
DeMusliM163
Liquid`VortiX156
ArmadaUGS144
KnowMe132
Trikslyr59
BRAT_OK 57
TKL 43
C9.Mang038
Railgan3
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV276
BasetradeTV215
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH275
• StrangeGG 66
• mYiSmile128
• Reevou 4
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• blackmanpl 7
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV417
League of Legends
• Nemesis2626
• TFBlade758
Other Games
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 21m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 21m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.