• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7531 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 151

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 149 150 151 152 153 379 Next
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2686 Posts
March 29 2012 19:26 GMT
#3001
Dips are one of my favorite exercises. Dips do not only work your triceps, they also work your upper chest and shoulders. If you have trouble making gains on bench press, I would strongly suggest doing dips instead. The structure of your body has an impact on how well you can perform on bench press, and it isn't suited for everyone. Some people have more chest strength gains doing primarily dips instead.
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2686 Posts
March 29 2012 19:28 GMT
#3002
On March 30 2012 04:03 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 03:53 Osmoses wrote:
Idd. Dips and chins are just arms, biceps and triceps, everyone got those, you just push and pull whereas pullups require obliques (how often do you use those in your everyday life?) and an actual measure of technique.

What? Afaik, chin-ups and pull-ups use basically all the same muscles. I don't see how pull-ups require more technique than chin-ups... I do both interchangeably and they're basically the same exercises to me.


Chin-ups work primarily your biceps and lats. It also works your mid-section a bit too. The chin-up has a huge emphasis on the biceps in comparison to pull-ups. Pull-ups are generally harder, they focus more on your lats and other back muscles, as well as your shoulders.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 29 2012 19:47 GMT
#3003
On March 30 2012 04:28 SolaR- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 04:03 infinity21 wrote:
On March 30 2012 03:53 Osmoses wrote:
Idd. Dips and chins are just arms, biceps and triceps, everyone got those, you just push and pull whereas pullups require obliques (how often do you use those in your everyday life?) and an actual measure of technique.

What? Afaik, chin-ups and pull-ups use basically all the same muscles. I don't see how pull-ups require more technique than chin-ups... I do both interchangeably and they're basically the same exercises to me.


Chin-ups work primarily your biceps and lats. It also works your mid-section a bit too. The chin-up has a huge emphasis on the biceps in comparison to pull-ups. Pull-ups are generally harder, they focus more on your lats and other back muscles, as well as your shoulders.

I think you're exaggerating the differences too much. I used to do chin-ups exclusively but I had no problems transitioning to pull-ups exclusively when I switched gyms.
Official Entusman #21
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2686 Posts
March 29 2012 19:49 GMT
#3004
Everyone's body is different. Personally I always felt I could do a lot more on chin-ups than on pull-ups.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 29 2012 19:54 GMT
#3005
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?
Official Entusman #21
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 19:57:37
March 29 2012 19:57 GMT
#3006
I found some tests a while ago where they measured the activity of lats/biceps/traps during different exercises and the differences in bicep activity during chins/pull ups were about 40% at BW and it then decreased exponentially IIRC. I think they were both better than barbell curls though .

Personally I could probably bang out 20 chins ezpz while I struggle with 10 proper wide-grip pull ups.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
March 29 2012 19:59 GMT
#3007
Anyone using a fat caliper? Took measurements of my

Chest: 6mm
Abdomen: 13mm
Quadriceps: 15mm

Plottet the result in bodycomp_calc using the 3 way method

Says I have only 10% fat, which I find fucking hard to believe. 13-14% seems more like it, since I should be pretty ripped at 10% right?

Wanted to know if anyone else here took measurement. Anyway, I will probably dont take the calculators fat percentage result into account, its just nice to see if my measurement numbers will deacrease as I lose fat.
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
March 29 2012 20:04 GMT
#3008
On March 30 2012 04:59 crappen wrote:
Anyone using a fat caliper? Took measurements of my

Chest: 6mm
Abdomen: 13mm
Quadriceps: 15mm

Plottet the result in bodycomp_calc using the 3 way method

Says I have only 10% fat, which I find fucking hard to believe. 13-14% seems more like it, since I should be pretty ripped at 10% right?

Wanted to know if anyone else here took measurement. Anyway, I will probably dont take the calculators fat percentage result into account, its just nice to see if my measurement numbers will deacrease as I lose fat.

Calipers are very difficult to use accurately. Unless you have zero muscle, 10% should make you seem ripped aye.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 20:05:43
March 29 2012 20:05 GMT
#3009
@Sneakyz: Do you mean the difference decreased when adding more weight? That could explain why I didn't really feel any difference.

@crappen: It depends on your measurement technique. As long as your measuring technique is consistent, calipers are a good way to track progress, but not necessarily your exact bf %.
Official Entusman #21
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
March 29 2012 20:06 GMT
#3010
Yeah the difference got smaller with more weight.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2686 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 20:19:42
March 29 2012 20:18 GMT
#3011
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 29 2012 20:20 GMT
#3012
On March 30 2012 04:59 crappen wrote:
Anyone using a fat caliper? Took measurements of my

Chest: 6mm
Abdomen: 13mm
Quadriceps: 15mm

Plottet the result in bodycomp_calc using the 3 way method

Says I have only 10% fat, which I find fucking hard to believe. 13-14% seems more like it, since I should be pretty ripped at 10% right?

Wanted to know if anyone else here took measurement. Anyway, I will probably dont take the calculators fat percentage result into account, its just nice to see if my measurement numbers will deacrease as I lose fat.


Yeah..13-14 should be some definition, more in 10-12 and 10 and below is ripped
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 29 2012 20:24 GMT
#3013
On March 30 2012 05:18 SolaR- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.

I think people generally use their biceps more in everyday life compared to lats which would explain why a lot of people find chin-ups easier.
I'm not surprised chins work your biceps more than curls. Too bad my biceps are so tiny compared to my lats
Official Entusman #21
Seth_
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Belgium184 Posts
March 29 2012 20:26 GMT
#3014
My press hasn't improved in 3 weeks. I started at 25 kg 3 x 5 without any trouble; next work-out I was nearly able to do 30 3 x 5. Now after 2.5 weeks I'm still unable to do more than 30 3 x 5.
I've watched
and I think I'm doing it as I'm supposed to, my strength just isn't increasing.


Squats have improved nearly 40% though. Deadlift, bench press and power cleans have improved as well.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 29 2012 20:37 GMT
#3015
It took me a month of failing three workouts at 105lb in a row, deloading, working back up to finally pass 105lb 5x5 on my overhead press so I wouldn't sweat it. Just keep at it.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 20:41:18
March 29 2012 20:37 GMT
#3016
On March 30 2012 05:24 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 05:18 SolaR- wrote:
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.

I think people generally use their biceps more in everyday life compared to lats which would explain why a lot of people find chin-ups easier.
I'm not surprised chins work your biceps more than curls. Too bad my biceps are so tiny compared to my lats


Lats are so much bigger and more useful :D Not to mention make your torso look awesome.

On March 30 2012 03:07 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 29 2012 23:33 decafchicken wrote:
On March 29 2012 19:00 sJarl wrote:
On March 29 2012 08:59 decafchicken wrote:
Sjarl and gotunk inspired me to max out squat today. Could probably still squeeze out a few more kilos, i missed 192.5 pretty narrowly but had to get to rugby practice.



only 190kg


that was riddiculously easy though...stay sober for a week or two and you'll be up there with us

...FOR A WHOLE WEEK??? :-p

Scrolling through my youtube for lolz, this squat is less weight and way shittier

+ Show Spoiler +



180kg wow..I wish I can do that. Once


*190 Don't worry. My max used to be like 120-130kg before i started squatting seriously You'll beast mode that shit in no time
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 29 2012 20:41 GMT
#3017
On March 30 2012 05:37 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 05:24 infinity21 wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:18 SolaR- wrote:
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.

I think people generally use their biceps more in everyday life compared to lats which would explain why a lot of people find chin-ups easier.
I'm not surprised chins work your biceps more than curls. Too bad my biceps are so tiny compared to my lats


Lats are so much bigger and more useful :D Not to mention make your torso look awesome.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a big pair of guns to go with the lats though
Official Entusman #21
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 29 2012 20:42 GMT
#3018
On March 30 2012 05:41 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 05:37 decafchicken wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:24 infinity21 wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:18 SolaR- wrote:
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.

I think people generally use their biceps more in everyday life compared to lats which would explain why a lot of people find chin-ups easier.
I'm not surprised chins work your biceps more than curls. Too bad my biceps are so tiny compared to my lats


Lats are so much bigger and more useful :D Not to mention make your torso look awesome.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a big pair of guns to go with the lats though


Yeah that 50 cal looks nice on top of a tank...but without the 50 cal ITS STILL A FUCKING TANK ^_^
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
March 29 2012 20:44 GMT
#3019
On March 30 2012 04:03 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 03:53 Osmoses wrote:
Idd. Dips and chins are just arms, biceps and triceps, everyone got those, you just push and pull whereas pullups require obliques (how often do you use those in your everyday life?) and an actual measure of technique.

What? Afaik, chin-ups and pull-ups use basically all the same muscles. I don't see how pull-ups require more technique than chin-ups... I do both interchangeably and they're basically the same exercises to me.

Dunno how you're doing them but it's definitely alot more backmuscle and lats for me (meant lats not obliques btw). Close grip I can understand, but wide is a completely different lift alltogether.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-29 20:46:15
March 29 2012 20:45 GMT
#3020
On March 30 2012 05:42 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 05:41 infinity21 wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:37 decafchicken wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:24 infinity21 wrote:
On March 30 2012 05:18 SolaR- wrote:
On March 30 2012 04:54 infinity21 wrote:
Maybe you spent a little too much time curling in the squat rack?


haha no. My biceps have always been one of my stronger muscles, even though i don't work them much. And i always curl on the bench press

Also sneakyz is right, I also read an article that people on average had the same or more bicep growth doing chins rather than curls.

I think people generally use their biceps more in everyday life compared to lats which would explain why a lot of people find chin-ups easier.
I'm not surprised chins work your biceps more than curls. Too bad my biceps are so tiny compared to my lats


Lats are so much bigger and more useful :D Not to mention make your torso look awesome.

Yeah I wouldn't mind a big pair of guns to go with the lats though


Yeah that 50 cal looks nice on top of a tank...but without the 50 cal ITS STILL A FUCKING TANK ^_^

Who wants to look like a T-rex though. A body that says RAWR and arms that say mewmew.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
Prev 1 149 150 151 152 153 379 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2641
RotterdaM708
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 80
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 15m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 15m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.