• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:28
CEST 08:28
KST 15:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9379 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 153

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 151 152 153 154 155 379 Next
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 30 2012 03:01 GMT
#3041
I thought ur supposed to lower the deadlift, not drop it

or is that just not really a big deal

or are you only dropping it because its too hard to lower it?
APurpleCow
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States1372 Posts
March 30 2012 03:14 GMT
#3042
On March 30 2012 12:01 travis wrote:
I thought ur supposed to lower the deadlift, not drop it

or is that just not really a big deal

or are you only dropping it because its too hard to lower it?


Important part of the deadlift is the lifting phase. It's best to let the weight down quickly to save your energy for the lifting, and this also reduces risk of injury. You probably shouldn't just let go when you're at the top, but no reason to set it down gently.

Also, the heavier a deadlift gets the bigger an impact it's going to make at a given speed.
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
March 30 2012 03:16 GMT
#3043
On March 30 2012 12:01 travis wrote:
I thought ur supposed to lower the deadlift, not drop it

or is that just not really a big deal

or are you only dropping it because its too hard to lower it?


If it's light enough to control it on the way down, sure. But it's very easy to hurt yourself if you're maxing out and you try to essentially do a negative after your reps.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
March 30 2012 03:26 GMT
#3044
seems like you shouldn't hurt yourself if you use good form

to me it's like "why don't we start squats at the bottom" ?

are you sure that lowering the deadlift couldn't have substantial impact on muscle development?
SolaR-
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States2686 Posts
March 30 2012 03:36 GMT
#3045
not much, but I think the most beneficial thing is that your muscles will be trained on how to control heavy weight better. But other than that the most important part is the lift. At powerlifting meets they only care about the lift and lock-out. The descent doesn't really matter.
Hurricane
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
United States3939 Posts
March 30 2012 03:37 GMT
#3046
On March 30 2012 12:26 travis wrote:
seems like you shouldn't hurt yourself if you use good form

to me it's like "why don't we start squats at the bottom" ?

are you sure that lowering the deadlift couldn't have substantial impact on muscle development?

You can do squats from the bottom, you can't lift as much weight if you do because you lose the muscle tension you get from the eccentric part of the lift when you come down from the top.

It's the same with a deadlift, you can do RDLs starting from the top of the deadlift and lowering it to touch the floor and coming up from there. A standard deadlift is picking a weight up from the floor to an upright position. You can safely move more weight up than you can down in a controlled manner, so to protect myself I lower the bar to my knees and then essentially let it fall from my knees while maintaining grip.
RIP CHARLIEMURPHY 11/25/10 NEVER FORGET | Hurricane#1183 @ B.net
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
March 30 2012 08:05 GMT
#3047
Good start of my day, level up in squats, bench and deadlift as well. I took someone's advice (from this thread) and did higher reps lower weight on wednesday and I guess that worked out pretty well. Gonna need more data points to confirm this theory.

Two girls were doing power cleans with like 50kg. I was pretty impressed tbh, they had really good form. I probably got a little bit inspired there.

I usually slap my face and my neck when I'm going for a new PR just to pep myself. Overdid it a little before squats, slapped my neck so hard I actually zoned out for a second.

Anyway, squats and bench I feel I got down. When I remember all the details, they're easy, just a matter of learning through repetition so I won't have to go through the list every time. But deadlifts I'm still unsure about. Gonna do some reasearch this weekend, check my form in the mirror and maybe get a PT.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
March 30 2012 11:11 GMT
#3048
On March 30 2012 10:59 Ilikestarcraft wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 06:49 Hurricane wrote:
fuck curls, I pull 4 plates all day

and the fitness.... w/e it is at the Y asked me to do lighter deadlifts because it feels like an earthquake downstairs when I drop it from my knees. How about not putting the gym on the 2nd floor and get me a platform, I'm gonna pull 5plates before 2013 bitches.

I hope one day to be mistaken for an earthquake when I deadlift.

Going to steal this quote
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
SiZ.FaNtAsY
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Korea (South)1497 Posts
March 30 2012 12:04 GMT
#3049
Hey guys, I always take 2 protein scoops which amounts to about 40g of protein and 400 calories post workout. My friend saw this and told me it was a waste and that I should just take 1 scoop. How much protein do you guys take post workout?
Karma is a bitch
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-30 12:07:44
March 30 2012 12:06 GMT
#3050
I do 2 scoops. I've heard any more than 3 in a day is overkill but this is just what I've heard, nothing to back it up.

I'd say getting the rest of your protein and calories from whole foods is better for you all around then adding more scoops etc.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
March 30 2012 12:11 GMT
#3051
yeah, isn't it one of the biggest misconceptions that post-workout shake is somehow essential or that something needs to be consumed immediately after the workout. unfortunately can't remember the LG related source I think I read this from.
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
March 30 2012 12:35 GMT
#3052
fml, a friend who just deadlifted 285kg x 3 last week for an all time pr just pulled 300kg x 2 yesterday.

he is 18 years old.

mad jelly
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
March 30 2012 13:01 GMT
#3053
On March 30 2012 21:35 sJarl wrote:
fml, a friend who just deadlifted 285kg x 3 last week for an all time pr just pulled 300kg x 2 yesterday.

he is 18 years old.

mad jelly

Imad. My grip is already failing at 105...

As for the dosage, I do 2 scoops of bcaa (about 30g) of which I consume about a third every other hour from waking up until lunch. Because Berkhan said so.
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
March 30 2012 13:20 GMT
#3054
On March 30 2012 21:35 sJarl wrote:
fml, a friend who just deadlifted 285kg x 3 last week for an all time pr just pulled 300kg x 2 yesterday.

he is 18 years old.

mad jelly


what the hell man.. do you have testosterone in your tap water in iceland or something?
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
March 30 2012 13:33 GMT
#3055
On March 30 2012 22:20 Zafrumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 21:35 sJarl wrote:
fml, a friend who just deadlifted 285kg x 3 last week for an all time pr just pulled 300kg x 2 yesterday.

he is 18 years old.

mad jelly


what the hell man.. do you have testosterone in your tap water in iceland or something?


Ya wtf, in the last powerlifting nationals the heaviest guy failed a 300kg pull, and he has been lifting weights since forever. Can't wait to be the first chilean at pulling 300, weighting less than 80 :p (ya, still 3-10 years most likely, if ever)
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 30 2012 14:01 GMT
#3056
Squatted 1.5x my bw 3x5 (255lb)! Honestly, I was thinking about how I wanted to post this before my last set and that's what drove me to get it
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
March 30 2012 14:04 GMT
#3057
i just pulled 100kg @ 76kg bw and I was happy with it lol because it's the first time i break the 100kg milestone in any exercise
For the Swarm!
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
March 30 2012 14:07 GMT
#3058
On March 30 2012 23:01 mordek wrote:
Squatted 1.5x my bw 3x5 (255lb)! Honestly, I was thinking about how I wanted to post this before my last set and that's what drove me to get it


On March 30 2012 23:04 Raidern wrote:
i just pulled 100kg @ 76kg bw and I was happy with it lol because it's the first time i break the 100kg milestone in any exercise


grats you two keep it up!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
March 30 2012 16:16 GMT
#3059
On March 30 2012 06:49 Hurricane wrote:
fuck curls, I pull 4 plates all day

and the fitness.... w/e it is at the Y asked me to do lighter deadlifts because it feels like an earthquake downstairs when I drop it from my knees. How about not putting the gym on the 2nd floor and get me a platform, I'm gonna pull 5plates before 2013 bitches.

[image loading]
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-30 17:25:45
March 30 2012 17:22 GMT
#3060
@ decaf

I had the same issue at the gym, they told me I broke all the lamps downstairs LOLOL

the solution is to buy 2 wooden pieces (or 1 if you don't pull sumo) so you can stack a bunch of rubber mats and put the wood base over it. U can drop the weight but it won't ruin the lives of people beneath. I read 2 used tires instead of mats is great aswell.

Wanted to update what I've been up to. After 13 weeks of squats(smolov) switched to a deadlift only routine. I'ts a high frequency/low volume specialization program, kinda what I did before when I started lifting. Goal is to pull x3 bodyweight without a belt by the end of 9th-12th week. Program goes as follows:

Monday: 147.5kgx1x5 (70% 1rm)
Tuesday: 147.5kgx1x7 (70% 1rm)
Wednesday: 147.5kgx1x9 (70% 1rm)
Thursday: 147.5kgx1x11 (70% 1rm)
Friday: 147.5kgx1x13 (70% 1rm)
Saturday: 147.5kgx1x15 (70% 1rm)

Next week, add 5kg and start over.
Next week the same.
Following do a light monday practice, and go for new 1rm. Use new 70% 1rm to start over.

Pros: No sore back
Improved technique by miles

Cons: everyone hates you (noise)
loading and unloading the fucking barbell -.-

Notice I'm cutting so low volume is perfect.

Also, everyone should read fantasy's interview. Amazing player and his work ethic is certainly applicable to weight lifting and life in general.
Prev 1 151 152 153 154 155 379 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto213
League of Legends
JimRising 603
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g7945
Coldzera 728
WinterStarcraft411
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm102
ViBE26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2255
League of Legends
• Rush1121
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt368
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 32m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 32m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 32m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.