• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:58
CEST 13:58
KST 20:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8186 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 126

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 379 Next
Raidern
Profile Joined February 2005
Brazil3821 Posts
March 16 2012 14:59 GMT
#2501
omg
shes 60kg and benches 136kg T______T fml
For the Swarm!
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 15:32:22
March 16 2012 15:31 GMT
#2502
That is a beastly raw bench o_O

On March 16 2012 20:39 Shikyo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 20:32 infinity21 wrote:
On March 16 2012 20:26 Shikyo wrote:
So after working out on tuesday for the first time in forever my whole body is still sore and I still can't even stretch my arms fully. :/ I hope it isn't like this too much longer, I can't do my 3 times a week rhytm if I take like a week to recover.

However otherwise it's nice, today I walked 4km(I hate jogging in this weather so won't even try) and I actually went ahead and bought some lean chicken to have a bit more variance =P

Keep doing light exercises to get the blood flowing even if you're sore. It shouldn't take your body more than a couple of weeks to adapt as long as you're eating & sleeping right.

So do you think it'd be good idea if I only did high-rep-low-weight stuff to begin with and kept that up until I don't get sore from it anymore? Though the first one was that kind anyway(like 20 repsx3). I just feel kind of retarded doing like triceps when my arm can't even do the last 30 degrees :3 (About sleep I actually kind of fucked that up because of reading for my final exam but hopefully that's not fatal)

Eating & sleep are both critical for proper recovery. Go heavy on your regular workout days while maintaining some level of activity for increased blood flow. By heavy I mean heavy weight, low reps (<=5).
Official Entusman #21
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 15:35:42
March 16 2012 15:35 GMT
#2503
On March 16 2012 21:10 Sneakyz wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

They wouldn't be that useful if you squat low bar imo, since one of the reasons people use them is to keep a more vertical body position, allowing you to hit a low and stable depth. But if you squat high bar or are into olympic lifting they will probably be good additions. But you should take anything Dimsum/Decaf says over me .

On March 16 2012 21:22 NeedsmoreCELLTECH wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

On March 16 2012 20:52 Deadeight wrote:
My parents have offered to buy my weight lifting shoes. Are they a good idea for squats? I normally put a 1.25kg plate under each heel and do them barefoot, so I'm guessing so. I don't have much no knowledge about this stuff.

Your parents fucking RULE :D If you squat high-bar or are interested in the oly lifts, than they are definately worth it. Otherwise your 'lifting shoes' should probably just be a pair of Chucks.

On March 16 2012 22:46 FFGenerations wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

for squats, if you're having to stand on plates/need shoes then you should be fixing your flexibility/mobility instead of spending £90 on shoes for a quickfix.

if i could go back in time i would stop being so complacent and tired and instead work on my flexibility and put that £90 towards more protein milkshake tubs/food/savings.

personally i got to the point where my confidence was so shit that i just "had" to buy them. otherwise they are just a very very expensive luxury that is a complete copout from working on being consistent with a daily flexibility routine.

if you are more advanced then its a different story but if you haven't fixed your flexibility then i would do that before buying them.

however, they are cool. but you can use the money on a couple of 5kg protein tubs




I see what you're saying about the money could probably be better spent elsewhere, but I don't think I could really ask my parents to buy some protein shake instead.

I squat low bar, but I want to start Oly lifts soon, still trying to learn the technique. I guess I may as well get some. I take your point FFGenerations about flexibility, I'm not sure I really need the plates any more it's a habit of two years, maybe I'll try squatting without first. Shame I don't know anyone with a pair to test.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
March 16 2012 15:46 GMT
#2504
another minor niggle might be that you cant try them on before buying, i ordered Addidas and the reviews recommended to get a size/half a size larger (iirc) , mine fitted well when i got them, but if they didnt then i guess id have to try to send them back .

i know what you mean about "thanks mom but i changed my mind, can i have protein tub instead pls tnx". anyway it doesnt really matter, im only whining about it coz im broke and could have done with that money to buy protein milkshake myself LOOOOOOOL
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 15:55:48
March 16 2012 15:52 GMT
#2505
On March 16 2012 23:59 mcmartini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 23:54 decafchicken wrote:
On March 16 2012 23:18 mcmartini wrote:
Name/nick : Michael / mcmartini
Age: 23 || Height: 184cm || Weight: 112kg was 116kg at start of training
Starting Date: 09/02/12 || Goal Date: 22/09/88 - (Birthday)
Weight goals --

I would like to be back to under 100kg.
Training goals --
Barbell Bench Press Current(not including bar cause not sure what it weighs and no one I train with counts the bar) = 30kg x8 x3 (8 reps, 3 sets) Goal = 50kg x 8 x3

Deadlift (Currently done on hack squat machine) Current = 75kg x8 x3 Goal = Barbell Deadlifts @ 50kg x8 x3

Squats (Currently done in Smith machine mainly to learn form at the moment) 35kg x8 x3 Goals = Barbell squat 60kg x8 x3

Get my cardio going again and sort out the shin problems I have been getting when trying to do some running/jogging.

Nutrition goals --
Going through uni I drank and ate whatever, ate off campus more often then not which is a lot of terrible fast food. Since the beginning of the year cut out all alcohol and soft drink and doing well without it or caffeine in general. Eating 4 meals a day minimum and having whey protein shakes when possible, light breakfast, raw almonds/walnuts/brazil nuts as snacks. Wholemeal biscuits with cottage cheese and FF ham for lunches, more nuts/fruit as snack and then either baked/grilled chicken pork with steamed vegetables or salad for dinner. I want to keep a similar eating situation till my birthday and stay off the alcohol/soft drink.

Sleep goals --
Current: Sort of all over the place, get 8 hrs most nights but want to sleep earlier when possible tonight obviously being the weekend up a bit later. Goal: sleep 8 hrs in bed by 11pm up by 7.

Misc/stress goals
Get that job to bring more order to my life. Get car in a reliable working order so I make it to gym and stop relying on lifts when car breaks down. Can't really think of much else.

General training regime is 6 days a week with cardio being done on break day, nothing heavy just 30 mins or so. Each day is a specific muscle group. Arms, Back, Chest, Abs, Shoulders, Legs. Been going for over a month now and starting to see some general definition and as I noted have already lost 4kg while gaining some muscle. Obviously I am no expert just wanted to write this down so I can look back and see how far I have come. :D


Welcome!
First off, i'd recommend getting off the hack squat/smith machine as they will not help you with your form. At your size you should easily be able to handle the empty barbell well enough to learn form.
I'd recommend hopping off the bodybuilding split (you're probably wasting a lot of time) and switch to a full body 3x week workout until you have a moderate level of strength built up. Check out the General Training sticky!

Hey I have have browsed through the sticky (like a month or so ago when I was too shy to post here) , the main reason I am doing the regime I am doing is I am going with a couple of friends who have been going for a while, (one has been going for 2 or so years the other 6 months or so). I agree about the machines was meant to be doing Barbell Deadlifts today but it was our last exercise and it was pretty crowded but will definitely get into asap Also what would you consider moderate strength ?

I would say at least 1.5x body weight squat and dead lift (dl usually higher) and bodyweight bench. If you do enough research on your own you'll find your friends usually don't know what they're doing/it doesnt fit your needs.

On March 16 2012 22:46 FFGenerations wrote:
for squats, if you're having to stand on plates/need shoes then you should be fixing your flexibility/mobility instead of spending £90 on shoes for a quickfix.

if i could go back in time i would stop being so complacent and tired and instead work on my flexibility and put that £90 towards more protein milkshake tubs/food/savings.

personally i got to the point where my confidence was so shit that i just "had" to buy them. otherwise they are just a very very expensive luxury that is a complete copout from working on being consistent with a daily flexibility routine.

if you are more advanced then its a different story but if you haven't fixed your flexibility then i would do that before buying them.

however, they are cool. but you can use the money on a couple of 5kg protein tubs


weightlifting shoes are awesome. especially for front squats/high bar squats. and almost a necessity for CJ and snatch. If your parents are getting them for you and you plan on doing any of those, then i say just accept it and say thanks!!

get these sexy beasts:
[image loading]
(200$ rofl)
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 16:19:31
March 16 2012 16:18 GMT
#2506
Saw those ones and was like "THEM!". But they cost a lot more than just the power perfects. I'm still in the process of stretching my shoulders to start learning to snatch (my shoulders just don't rotate that far back, yet at least, I'm bullying them into shape). Still having major issues with the front rack for cleans so aiming for snatch first, it's a pretty complex lift though imo, especially to try and teach yourself. I guess I'll be posting a few form checks for that.

I just get the shoes then.
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
March 16 2012 16:24 GMT
#2507
On March 17 2012 00:46 FFGenerations wrote:
another minor niggle might be that you cant try them on before buying, i ordered Addidas and the reviews recommended to get a size/half a size larger (iirc) , mine fitted well when i got them, but if they didnt then i guess id have to try to send them back .

i know what you mean about "thanks mom but i changed my mind, can i have protein tub instead pls tnx". anyway it doesnt really matter, im only whining about it coz im broke and could have done with that money to buy protein milkshake myself LOOOOOOOL



Ah ok... All the UK shops are too far to go and try them. I'll have to have a good look at returns policies then.

I was talking to my parents about doing weights and they just asked if I had all the equipment I needed and just mentioned the shoes, my mum had big knee problems from playing tennis in the wrong shoes so they're pretty keen on that stuff. And I feel your pain on protein shake, a week or so ago I got an order through of £110 and I've gone into my overdraft, got to wait for student loan to come through after Easter.
Donkeys
Profile Joined August 2010
Mexico308 Posts
March 16 2012 17:12 GMT
#2508
Squatted 115kg for three sets of five for the first time ever. yayyyy.
http://www.belowtherimyo.blogspot.com/
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 17:29:27
March 16 2012 17:25 GMT
#2509
Nice work donkeys!
On March 17 2012 01:18 Deadeight wrote:
Saw those ones and was like "THEM!". But they cost a lot more than just the power perfects. I'm still in the process of stretching my shoulders to start learning to snatch (my shoulders just don't rotate that far back, yet at least, I'm bullying them into shape). Still having major issues with the front rack for cleans so aiming for snatch first, it's a pretty complex lift though imo, especially to try and teach yourself. I guess I'll be posting a few form checks for that.

I just get the shoes then.


If you're stretching ~twice a day (only should take a few minutes) it shouldn't take more than a couple weeks to get enough flexibility. Shoulder dislocates and wrist stretches!! And yes snatches are quite hard :D

Most websites have guides for shoe size
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
March 16 2012 18:58 GMT
#2510
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 19:13:13
March 16 2012 19:12 GMT
#2511
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.



I obviously wouldn't presume anything, but perhaps it's not the routine but your commitment/effort. You said you've been doing it off and on, you should be doing it consistently three times a week. You can't expect gains when you're missing workouts and taking breaks. Maybe switch power cleans for barbell rows (i.e. SL) if you're demotivated with form etc. To be honest I think you would see gains from any program as long as you're eating enough protein and sticking to it.

Be determined and get big!
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 16 2012 19:37 GMT
#2512
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.

Post some form videos and tell us your bw, height, and bf%
I find it hard to believe that anyone, even if you were a girl, would be stuck at 45kg bench after a year. What's the most number of times you went to the gym without skipping? Like anything, getting stronger requires some effort and dedication.
Official Entusman #21
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 19:41:13
March 16 2012 19:39 GMT
#2513
On March 17 2012 04:37 infinity21 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.

Post some form videos and tell us your bw, height, and bf%
I find it hard to believe that anyone, even if you were a girl, would be stuck at 45kg bench after a year. What's the most number of times you went to the gym without skipping? Like anything, getting stronger requires some effort and dedication.


SS , probably like every other program, doesnt work unless you follow it by the book. "on and off" will not see any progress. its harder than you think, if you're not used to committing to something like this. but it absolutely does yield results if you do following it consistently and not "on and off"
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
March 16 2012 19:57 GMT
#2514
On March 16 2012 23:59 mcmartini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 23:54 decafchicken wrote:
On March 16 2012 23:18 mcmartini wrote:
Name/nick : Michael / mcmartini
Age: 23 || Height: 184cm || Weight: 112kg was 116kg at start of training
Starting Date: 09/02/12 || Goal Date: 22/09/88 - (Birthday)
Weight goals --

I would like to be back to under 100kg.
Training goals --
Barbell Bench Press Current(not including bar cause not sure what it weighs and no one I train with counts the bar) = 30kg x8 x3 (8 reps, 3 sets) Goal = 50kg x 8 x3

Deadlift (Currently done on hack squat machine) Current = 75kg x8 x3 Goal = Barbell Deadlifts @ 50kg x8 x3

Squats (Currently done in Smith machine mainly to learn form at the moment) 35kg x8 x3 Goals = Barbell squat 60kg x8 x3

Get my cardio going again and sort out the shin problems I have been getting when trying to do some running/jogging.

Nutrition goals --
Going through uni I drank and ate whatever, ate off campus more often then not which is a lot of terrible fast food. Since the beginning of the year cut out all alcohol and soft drink and doing well without it or caffeine in general. Eating 4 meals a day minimum and having whey protein shakes when possible, light breakfast, raw almonds/walnuts/brazil nuts as snacks. Wholemeal biscuits with cottage cheese and FF ham for lunches, more nuts/fruit as snack and then either baked/grilled chicken pork with steamed vegetables or salad for dinner. I want to keep a similar eating situation till my birthday and stay off the alcohol/soft drink.

Sleep goals --
Current: Sort of all over the place, get 8 hrs most nights but want to sleep earlier when possible tonight obviously being the weekend up a bit later. Goal: sleep 8 hrs in bed by 11pm up by 7.

Misc/stress goals
Get that job to bring more order to my life. Get car in a reliable working order so I make it to gym and stop relying on lifts when car breaks down. Can't really think of much else.

General training regime is 6 days a week with cardio being done on break day, nothing heavy just 30 mins or so. Each day is a specific muscle group. Arms, Back, Chest, Abs, Shoulders, Legs. Been going for over a month now and starting to see some general definition and as I noted have already lost 4kg while gaining some muscle. Obviously I am no expert just wanted to write this down so I can look back and see how far I have come. :D


Welcome!
First off, i'd recommend getting off the hack squat/smith machine as they will not help you with your form. At your size you should easily be able to handle the empty barbell well enough to learn form.
I'd recommend hopping off the bodybuilding split (you're probably wasting a lot of time) and switch to a full body 3x week workout until you have a moderate level of strength built up. Check out the General Training sticky!

Hey I have have browsed through the sticky (like a month or so ago when I was too shy to post here) , the main reason I am doing the regime I am doing is I am going with a couple of friends who have been going for a while, (one has been going for 2 or so years the other 6 months or so). I agree about the machines was meant to be doing Barbell Deadlifts today but it was our last exercise and it was pretty crowded but will definitely get into asap Also what would you consider moderate strength ?


I've been lifting for two years now and that kind of split would be a waste of time for me. My bodyweight is still low, and I'm "afraid" of a big squat, so I stay more cautious than I really need to be, and it holds my lifts back. hell, I'm STILL not squatting above three plates, and at this point that's embarrassing.

"moderate" strength would be like...

Squat: 1.5x BW
Bench: 1x BW
OHP: 0.75x BW
Deadlift: 1.75x BW

For reference, I'm about 10% from each one of these stats now. It took me ~8 months to get withing 20% of these stats. I've made fuck all progress since then, because I'm a little bitch about lifting and I don't make it enough of a priority.
KOVU
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark708 Posts
March 16 2012 20:29 GMT
#2515
On March 16 2012 23:59 mcmartini wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 23:54 decafchicken wrote:
On March 16 2012 23:18 mcmartini wrote:
Name/nick : Michael / mcmartini
Age: 23 || Height: 184cm || Weight: 112kg was 116kg at start of training
Starting Date: 09/02/12 || Goal Date: 22/09/88 - (Birthday)
Weight goals --

I would like to be back to under 100kg.
Training goals --
Barbell Bench Press Current(not including bar cause not sure what it weighs and no one I train with counts the bar) = 30kg x8 x3 (8 reps, 3 sets) Goal = 50kg x 8 x3

Deadlift (Currently done on hack squat machine) Current = 75kg x8 x3 Goal = Barbell Deadlifts @ 50kg x8 x3

Squats (Currently done in Smith machine mainly to learn form at the moment) 35kg x8 x3 Goals = Barbell squat 60kg x8 x3

Get my cardio going again and sort out the shin problems I have been getting when trying to do some running/jogging.

Nutrition goals --
Going through uni I drank and ate whatever, ate off campus more often then not which is a lot of terrible fast food. Since the beginning of the year cut out all alcohol and soft drink and doing well without it or caffeine in general. Eating 4 meals a day minimum and having whey protein shakes when possible, light breakfast, raw almonds/walnuts/brazil nuts as snacks. Wholemeal biscuits with cottage cheese and FF ham for lunches, more nuts/fruit as snack and then either baked/grilled chicken pork with steamed vegetables or salad for dinner. I want to keep a similar eating situation till my birthday and stay off the alcohol/soft drink.

Sleep goals --
Current: Sort of all over the place, get 8 hrs most nights but want to sleep earlier when possible tonight obviously being the weekend up a bit later. Goal: sleep 8 hrs in bed by 11pm up by 7.

Misc/stress goals
Get that job to bring more order to my life. Get car in a reliable working order so I make it to gym and stop relying on lifts when car breaks down. Can't really think of much else.

General training regime is 6 days a week with cardio being done on break day, nothing heavy just 30 mins or so. Each day is a specific muscle group. Arms, Back, Chest, Abs, Shoulders, Legs. Been going for over a month now and starting to see some general definition and as I noted have already lost 4kg while gaining some muscle. Obviously I am no expert just wanted to write this down so I can look back and see how far I have come. :D


Welcome!
First off, i'd recommend getting off the hack squat/smith machine as they will not help you with your form. At your size you should easily be able to handle the empty barbell well enough to learn form.
I'd recommend hopping off the bodybuilding split (you're probably wasting a lot of time) and switch to a full body 3x week workout until you have a moderate level of strength built up. Check out the General Training sticky!

Hey I have have browsed through the sticky (like a month or so ago when I was too shy to post here) , the main reason I am doing the regime I am doing is I am going with a couple of friends who have been going for a while, (one has been going for 2 or so years the other 6 months or so). I agree about the machines was meant to be doing Barbell Deadlifts today but it was our last exercise and it was pretty crowded but will definitely get into asap Also what would you consider moderate strength ?

I think most of people said it already.

1.5xbdw squat
2xbdw DL
1xbdw bench
is what I personally would consider moderate strength. But that is really really skewed from what the general public in Denmark would think, if someone lifts 100kg they are REALLY strong here (lol)

There is a good chart on exrx.net about strength standards: + Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
March 16 2012 20:41 GMT
#2516
Yeah intermediate would be considered moderate strength and is definitely achievable within a year for most people with some dedication barring any significant injuries. For me, it took me about 4 months to hit 270x5 squat and 315x5 DL at 172lb bw and another month to do 195x5 bench at 168lb bw.
Official Entusman #21
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 20:53:55
March 16 2012 20:52 GMT
#2517
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.

Curious as to what your starting numbers were. I've gained 20kg on my squat in 4-5 weeks and it's not like I started real low or anything and I think I performed a set of squats once before in my life.

On March 17 2012 05:41 infinity21 wrote:
Yeah intermediate would be considered moderate strength and is definitely achievable within a year for most people with some dedication barring any significant injuries. For me, it took me about 4 months to hit 270x5 squat and 315x5 DL at 172lb bw and another month to do 195x5 bench at 168lb bw.

Yay we're about the same size! I have to catch up on my squats and DL though XD
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
March 16 2012 21:25 GMT
#2518
On March 17 2012 04:39 FFGenerations wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 04:37 infinity21 wrote:
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.

Post some form videos and tell us your bw, height, and bf%
I find it hard to believe that anyone, even if you were a girl, would be stuck at 45kg bench after a year. What's the most number of times you went to the gym without skipping? Like anything, getting stronger requires some effort and dedication.


SS , probably like every other program, doesnt work unless you follow it by the book. "on and off" will not see any progress. its harder than you think, if you're not used to committing to something like this. but it absolutely does yield results if you do following it consistently and not "on and off"


I threw several months in a row at that fucking program and it might have worked for a bunch of people in here, but this book does not work for everyone without a professional instructor.

I was a total newbie at all the lifts so everything was basically zero I guess.
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
BlondeOnBlonde
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada150 Posts
March 16 2012 21:38 GMT
#2519
Thank you TL now I have a phobia of having a ruptured biceps tendon when grinding heavy deadlifts... T_T

Today's training;

Worked up to a double with 225kg on the deadlift.

Good morning: 155x15,13,12
Weighted Pistols: 45x10,8,8

V-Ups: 45x15,10,10,10
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
March 16 2012 21:47 GMT
#2520
On March 17 2012 06:25 Advocado wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 04:39 FFGenerations wrote:
On March 17 2012 04:37 infinity21 wrote:
On March 17 2012 03:58 Advocado wrote:
Think I'll give up on Starting Strength. I've been doing it on and off for a year and it has given some success. However my numbers are not acceptable:

45kg bench
80 squat
110 deadlift
50 power clean or so in terrible form.

I need to change my exercise cause im not making any progress on my own.

Post some form videos and tell us your bw, height, and bf%
I find it hard to believe that anyone, even if you were a girl, would be stuck at 45kg bench after a year. What's the most number of times you went to the gym without skipping? Like anything, getting stronger requires some effort and dedication.


SS , probably like every other program, doesnt work unless you follow it by the book. "on and off" will not see any progress. its harder than you think, if you're not used to committing to something like this. but it absolutely does yield results if you do following it consistently and not "on and off"


I threw several months in a row at that fucking program and it might have worked for a bunch of people in here, but this book does not work for everyone without a professional instructor.

I was a total newbie at all the lifts so everything was basically zero I guess.

I think we're all happy to give you advice/pointers/encouragement if you want to provide details on what you did this past year etc.
If you find something else that works after switching from SS you should share so others that are struggling know.

I wouldn't take any comments as attacks on your efforts, I'm guessing we all just dislike letting someone go without making sure we did our part as the TLHF community
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 379 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1119
WardiTV451
OGKoka 171
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 1
Afreeca ASL 11693
StarCastTV_EN311
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko390
OGKoka 171
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 13483
Bisu 4841
FanTaSy 3775
Shuttle 1715
Jaedong 1484
BeSt 947
actioN 781
EffOrt 606
Horang2 488
Larva 270
[ Show more ]
Leta 259
Zeus 249
Dewaltoss 116
Barracks 114
Mind 111
Sexy 83
JYJ 75
Mong 73
scan(afreeca) 61
sorry 57
ToSsGirL 52
Shinee 49
Sea.KH 46
Killer 41
Bale 35
sSak 34
soO 31
Free 26
Aegong 22
HiyA 15
Sacsri 10
zelot 10
yabsab 8
Dota 2
Gorgc2278
Dendi637
XaKoH 385
Counter-Strike
x6flipin253
Other Games
singsing2435
olofmeister1302
B2W.Neo561
crisheroes315
Pyrionflax206
Livibee146
dupreeh102
XBOCT78
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick590
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 181
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1469
Other Games
• WagamamaTV175
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 2m
Replay Cast
11h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 2m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
23h 2m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC S3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.