• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:14
CEST 00:14
KST 07:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8260 users

The Paleo Diet thread - Page 2

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 00:44:25
September 22 2011 00:43 GMT
#21
On September 22 2011 06:27 Liquid`Nazgul wrote:
I follow paleo to some extent. I try to keep things relatively easy for myself. For example I eat no more sweets and have replaced all my snacks (previously chips) with nuts and pure chocolate. By doing this I feel like I give up nothing in my life and it's really easy to commit to.

I don't eat bread anymore at home, but if I go to out for dinner to a restaurant or something I'll still eat it if it's on the table. My breakfast always used to be bread now I'm mostly eating egg+something. Still can't say no to a glass of milk. No more rice/potatoes at dinner at home, but I don't mind eating fries at a restaurant occasionally.


Haha, you pretty much do what I do. Eat Paleo as much as possible, but relax while I'm out and want to have a good time.

Smart man. :p


Also updated OP to make some distinguishing differences from eating Paleo with diseases, as an athlete, healthy, etc.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
September 22 2011 01:52 GMT
#22
Paleo seems to be one of those things I'm seeing crop up everywhere from people whose opinions I respect a lot, cool to see it being promoted on TL too.

[url="http://5by5.tv"]5by5[/url] podcasts have a podcast dedicated to Paleo called [url="http://5by5.tv/paleo"]Latest in Paleo[/url] if podcasts are your thing then it might be of interest. I have never actually listened to it, just seen the updates about it mixed in with updates from other podcasts I do listen to from the network.

Aside: Just found this forum exists!
Their are four errors in this sentance.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-22 02:00:27
September 22 2011 01:59 GMT
#23
On September 22 2011 10:52 Bockit wrote:
Paleo seems to be one of those things I'm seeing crop up everywhere from people whose opinions I respect a lot, cool to see it being promoted on TL too.

5by5 podcasts have a podcast dedicated to Paleo called Latest in Paleo if podcasts are your thing then it might be of interest. I have never actually listened to it, just seen the updates about it mixed in with updates from other podcasts I do listen to from the network.

Aside: Just found this forum exists!


Added!

Also, added Robb Wolf's podcasts to the bottom as ewll.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 23 2011 20:31 GMT
#24
Do you also think I should add some sleep stuff to this thread?

Not technically Paleo, but in reality is is part of Paleo for decreasing inflammation, insulin resistance, etc.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
September 23 2011 21:08 GMT
#25
On September 24 2011 05:31 eshlow wrote:
Do you also think I should add some sleep stuff to this thread?

Not technically Paleo, but in reality is is part of Paleo for decreasing inflammation, insulin resistance, etc.


I think the sleep stuff should be put in general nutrition instead maybe, as one would expect someone to read that first/in conjunction with the Paleo thread.
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
September 24 2011 14:09 GMT
#26
Doesn't it make sense to add sleep stuff to the recovery thread or something?
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 24 2011 14:52 GMT
#27
On September 24 2011 23:09 Advocado wrote:
Doesn't it make sense to add sleep stuff to the recovery thread or something?


I did, but he didn't add it to the OP.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
JohnnyBanana
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada493 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-25 20:06:45
September 25 2011 19:40 GMT
#28
Well eshlow, I don't know where I read your recommendation to eat sweet potatoes, but thanks for that.

I've eaten sweet potatoes before, and I've liked them a lot, but I never knew they were such a healthy food.

Ever since I've been eating paleo, I've cut out a lot of juices and other sweet things...but man these sweet potatoes are my savior.

I came across this on Wikipedia: "In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato."

I understand there's a lot of complex carbs in sweet potatoes which is a good thing. I've started eating like 1-2 sweet potatoes everyday, and I might increase it more because it's really the easiest and most tasty vegetable ever. Can I 'overload' on carbs from these sweet potatoes though? I can eat 3-4 baked sweet potatoes everyday no problem because they're just that good.
Ingenol
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1328 Posts
September 25 2011 20:31 GMT
#29
On September 26 2011 04:40 JohnnyBanana wrote:
Well eshlow, I don't know where I read your recommendation to eat sweet potatoes, but thanks for that.

I've eaten sweet potatoes before, and I've liked them a lot, but I never knew they were such a healthy food.

Ever since I've been eating paleo, I've cut out a lot of juices and other sweet things...but man these sweet potatoes are my savior.

I came across this on Wikipedia: "In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the nutritional value of sweet potatoes to other vegetables. Considering fiber content, complex carbohydrates, protein, vitamins A and C, iron, and calcium, the sweet potato ranked highest in nutritional value. According to these criteria, sweet potatoes earned 184 points, 100 points over the next on the list, the common potato."

I understand there's a lot of complex carbs in sweet potatoes which is a good thing. I've started eating like 1-2 sweet potatoes everyday, and I might increase it more because it's really the easiest and most tasty vegetable ever. Can I 'overload' on carbs from these sweet potatoes though? I can eat 3-4 baked sweet potatoes everyday no problem because they're just that good.

Yes, you can. They do have some fructose and as they are a starch will elicit an insulin response. In a healthy person, this is no problem, but obviously as you become obese and start to have insulin insensitivity issues and problems with eating higher levels of carbs, it can become one.

The reason sweet potatoes are an acceptable carb source on a paleo-style diet is because unlike wheat and other grains they aren't inflammatory.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 25 2011 23:47 GMT
#30
As long as you eat carbs with your protein and fats you should be fine.

Not that the Kitavan's who eat potatoes as their starch for 70% carbs have heart disease either... but I tend to like keeping things balanced if possible.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
jbee
Profile Joined June 2011
35 Posts
September 26 2011 23:02 GMT
#31
What is healthy is so arbitrary nowadays. Grains are bad for you now? Healthy eating is a never-ending vortex that sucks up all your time. At the start of this thread I was going to follow it, but now I am going to quit while I'm ahead.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 27 2011 00:14 GMT
#32
On September 27 2011 08:02 jbee wrote:
What is healthy is so arbitrary nowadays. Grains are bad for you now? Healthy eating is a never-ending vortex that sucks up all your time. At the start of this thread I was going to follow it, but now I am going to quit while I'm ahead.


It's not that hard, just eat real food.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-27 00:36:23
September 27 2011 00:33 GMT
#33
On September 27 2011 08:02 jbee wrote:
What is healthy is so arbitrary nowadays. Grains are bad for you now? Healthy eating is a never-ending vortex that sucks up all your time. At the start of this thread I was going to follow it, but now I am going to quit while I'm ahead.


What is healthy isn't that arbitrary.

The nutrition "industry" is going through the same phase that the cigarette industry went through back in the 80s and 90s. They paid a lot of money to companies to do studies that showed cigs didn't cause cancer. Advertising/commercials to get the public to believe what they wanted them to believe. The same thing is going on with food lobbyists touting grains, processed foods, etc.

Why do you think there are so many myths perpetuated in training/nutrition/etc.? The public believes what "experts" tell them.

I provided recent studies which are turning the tide which prove my point. Regardless, it's your health so shrug.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
jbee
Profile Joined June 2011
35 Posts
September 27 2011 02:08 GMT
#34
True, but it's a lil different than the cig example. He is saying don't trust the governments word and is relying on the latest studies as proof. Most health studies are, like you said, junk science. Since we can't even determine if the methodology is correct, we must arbitrarily choose which one to follow. Because of the amount of work and high level of inaccuracy I'll just keep with my normal diet and avoid the obvious bad things.
Dalguno
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2446 Posts
September 27 2011 04:59 GMT
#35
Heading to Vegas on Wednesday for a Chevelle concert. They don't have much paleo food down there to eat, so it always puts me in a pickle. I probably can go grocery shopping, but I won't have much to spend. Any tips on cheap stuff to buy? I'm thinking lots of sweet potatoes and maybe chicken breasts, perhaps protein bars if I can't find anything else.
"I'm gonna keep making drones cause I'm a baller, and ballers make drones." -Snute
rfoster
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1005 Posts
September 27 2011 09:40 GMT
#36
On September 27 2011 13:59 Dalguno wrote:
Heading to Vegas on Wednesday for a Chevelle concert. They don't have much paleo food down there to eat, so it always puts me in a pickle. I probably can go grocery shopping, but I won't have much to spend. Any tips on cheap stuff to buy? I'm thinking lots of sweet potatoes and maybe chicken breasts, perhaps protein bars if I can't find anything else.


Chicken breast is cheap for a lot of food, I wouldnt get protein bars if you are tight on cash. One good bargain you can buy is if you buy the 60 pack of eggs from the store. Its like a week or two worth of food for so little money
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 27 2011 13:21 GMT
#37
On September 27 2011 13:59 Dalguno wrote:
Heading to Vegas on Wednesday for a Chevelle concert. They don't have much paleo food down there to eat, so it always puts me in a pickle. I probably can go grocery shopping, but I won't have much to spend. Any tips on cheap stuff to buy? I'm thinking lots of sweet potatoes and maybe chicken breasts, perhaps protein bars if I can't find anything else.


I believe there's a link in the OP on cheap food shopping. Don't remember what is in it exactly but it may be a good idea to check out
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-27 13:40:07
September 27 2011 13:39 GMT
#38
I'm thinking about changing my diet up right now. My current status is I'm attempting to gradually (over the next 3-4 months) put on an additional 10kg of quality mass. At the current moment, I'm semi-paleo. I eat oats, rice, and cereals. I want to cut out the cereals I think (at the very least), and stick to a more fat/protein based diet. I was thinking about doing something like this:

Breakfast: 8 eggs
Lunch: 1 cup of oatmeal (measured dry; of course I cook the stuff) with blueberries
Post-workout: One large chicken breast with skin, 1 liter of milk, 2 scoops of whey
Dinner: 200 grams of beef shortribs (900 calories in this; can't get much more bang for your buck than that), 1/2 cup of rice

This would be a pretty cheap way to get in 4,000 calories a day for me. I think I want to remove the cereal because it can't be doing good for my stomach (which hasn't been agreeing with me lately), but still want to keep my calories high. My macronutrients would be 235 grams of fat (52% of total cals), 290 grams of protein (29% of total cals), and 195 grams of carbs (19% total cals).

Does this look like a solid eating plan? I know, not 100% hardcore paleo, but I think paleo enough.

Edit: I edited the veggies out for ease. I'll eat some spinach or something with my dinner too.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 27 2011 14:32 GMT
#39
Looks fine to me.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-27 15:43:35
September 27 2011 15:37 GMT
#40
On September 27 2011 22:39 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
I'm thinking about changing my diet up right now. My current status is I'm attempting to gradually (over the next 3-4 months) put on an additional 10kg of quality mass. At the current moment, I'm semi-paleo. I eat oats, rice, and cereals. I want to cut out the cereals I think (at the very least), and stick to a more fat/protein based diet. I was thinking about doing something like this:

Breakfast: 8 eggs
Lunch: 1 cup of oatmeal (measured dry; of course I cook the stuff) with blueberries
Post-workout: One large chicken breast with skin, 1 liter of milk, 2 scoops of whey
Dinner: 200 grams of beef shortribs (900 calories in this; can't get much more bang for your buck than that), 1/2 cup of rice

This would be a pretty cheap way to get in 4,000 calories a day for me. I think I want to remove the cereal because it can't be doing good for my stomach (which hasn't been agreeing with me lately), but still want to keep my calories high. My macronutrients would be 235 grams of fat (52% of total cals), 290 grams of protein (29% of total cals), and 195 grams of carbs (19% total cals).

Does this look like a solid eating plan? I know, not 100% hardcore paleo, but I think paleo enough.

Edit: I edited the veggies out for ease. I'll eat some spinach or something with my dinner too.


how are you going to cook your eight eggs in the morning?

Also, since you live in Japan, why not take advantage of their relatively cheap fish? Hotate and salmon are generally cheaper than others.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech142
SpeCial 101
Nathanias 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 377
MaD[AoV]26
910 23
Bale 11
League of Legends
JimRising 496
Counter-Strike
fl0m4440
Fnx 613
minikerr8
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox469
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4210
Other Games
summit1g6844
FrodaN650
C9.Mang0261
Trikslyr17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream15
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21424
Other Games
• imaqtpie798
• Shiphtur567
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 46m
Patches Events
17h 46m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.