• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:59
CEST 01:59
KST 08:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8458 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 683

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 681 682 683 684 685 730 Next
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
November 18 2011 19:31 GMT
#13641
Soooo. Did 80 hours of academic work this week, final session with my apprentice aswell. Todays workout:

Squat: 90kg 5-5-5
OHP: 47,5kg 5-5-4 (motherfucker I wanted that rep, so bad)
PowerClean: 70kg 3-3-3-3-3

PowerCleans felt SO GOOD though. I feel like a graceful robot swan on steroids.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
November 18 2011 19:39 GMT
#13642
On November 19 2011 02:11 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 00:45 Catch wrote:
Got a question for all y'all who have experience with 5/3/1. Hopefully someone does!

Am I supposed to be basing my lifts off 90% of my 1RM or basing it off 95% of my 1RM after the first four starting weeks?

I'm finding conflicting advice; some say to go 90% the entire time your own 5/3/1, and others are saying that after the first four weeks, you switch to 95% of your 1RM.


Test your max, take 90% of it and use that as your working max => you calculate all your working weights from that number.

After each cycle (4 weeks) add 2,5/5kg to that total and recalculate.


I already did my first cycle with 90% of my max. Now I added 5/2.5 kgs. Do I take 95% of this max and use it for my weights, or do I keep it at 90?
Victory Loves Preparation
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
November 18 2011 21:41 GMT
#13643
On November 19 2011 04:39 Catch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 02:11 sJarl wrote:
On November 19 2011 00:45 Catch wrote:
Got a question for all y'all who have experience with 5/3/1. Hopefully someone does!

Am I supposed to be basing my lifts off 90% of my 1RM or basing it off 95% of my 1RM after the first four starting weeks?

I'm finding conflicting advice; some say to go 90% the entire time your own 5/3/1, and others are saying that after the first four weeks, you switch to 95% of your 1RM.


Test your max, take 90% of it and use that as your working max => you calculate all your working weights from that number.

After each cycle (4 weeks) add 2,5/5kg to that total and recalculate.


I already did my first cycle with 90% of my max. Now I added 5/2.5 kgs. Do I take 95% of this max and use it for my weights, or do I keep it at 90?


Always 90%

Not sure if you add the 5kg to the real-1RM or to the training1-RM. It shouldn't make much of a difference either way.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
November 18 2011 22:39 GMT
#13644
On November 19 2011 04:39 Catch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 02:11 sJarl wrote:
On November 19 2011 00:45 Catch wrote:
Got a question for all y'all who have experience with 5/3/1. Hopefully someone does!

Am I supposed to be basing my lifts off 90% of my 1RM or basing it off 95% of my 1RM after the first four starting weeks?

I'm finding conflicting advice; some say to go 90% the entire time your own 5/3/1, and others are saying that after the first four weeks, you switch to 95% of your 1RM.


Test your max, take 90% of it and use that as your working max => you calculate all your working weights from that number.

After each cycle (4 weeks) add 2,5/5kg to that total and recalculate.


I already did my first cycle with 90% of my max. Now I added 5/2.5 kgs. Do I take 95% of this max and use it for my weights, or do I keep it at 90?


Say your max was 100kg => 90% of that will become 90 and then you add 5/2.5kg to that after each cycle and recalculate the weights.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
November 18 2011 23:00 GMT
#13645
On November 19 2011 07:39 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 04:39 Catch wrote:
On November 19 2011 02:11 sJarl wrote:
On November 19 2011 00:45 Catch wrote:
Got a question for all y'all who have experience with 5/3/1. Hopefully someone does!

Am I supposed to be basing my lifts off 90% of my 1RM or basing it off 95% of my 1RM after the first four starting weeks?

I'm finding conflicting advice; some say to go 90% the entire time your own 5/3/1, and others are saying that after the first four weeks, you switch to 95% of your 1RM.


Test your max, take 90% of it and use that as your working max => you calculate all your working weights from that number.

After each cycle (4 weeks) add 2,5/5kg to that total and recalculate.


I already did my first cycle with 90% of my max. Now I added 5/2.5 kgs. Do I take 95% of this max and use it for my weights, or do I keep it at 90?


Say your max was 100kg => 90% of that will become 90 and then you add 5/2.5kg to that after each cycle and recalculate the weights.


So you're just using a solid number for your max after the first cycle, rather than calculating things as a percentage. The answer is there is no answer?
AndyJay
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia833 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 00:46:36
November 19 2011 00:43 GMT
#13646
My starting weights and current weights so far. I'm an 85kg 177cm male, 4 weeks into SS.

50kg -> 120kg Deadlift

40kg -> 60kg Power Clean

20kg -> 40kg Standing Press

40kg -> 55kg Bench

Squat I got up to 85kg from a starting point of 50kg in two weeks, but haven't done it since. I will go back to it when I can do a full proper un-weighted squat pain free.

The only lift I'm really worried about stalling on so far is the DL because I'm struggling to hold onto the bar for the 4th and 5th rep due to my weak fingers.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
November 19 2011 00:46 GMT
#13647
i think we should print t-shirts...
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
November 19 2011 01:03 GMT
#13648
Nice progress andyjay!

Snatched up to 100 (fucking garbage) but i cj'd up to 135 for the first time in a while. Back still hasn't recovered fully from deadlifting but its getting there..
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
LonelyMargarita
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
1845 Posts
November 19 2011 01:30 GMT
#13649
On November 19 2011 09:43 AndyJay wrote:
The only lift I'm really worried about stalling on so far is the DL because I'm struggling to hold onto the bar for the 4th and 5th rep due to my weak fingers.


Are you letting the weight come to a complete stop on the floor each rep, or just tapping the floor? I re-adjust my grip in the second that it rests on the ground in between the last reps if I fear my grip will give. If you're already doing this, try chalk. If you're already doing both, I dunno what to tell you. I definitely don't recommend using straps as I feel it increases your chance of injury since you can't drop the weight when something's amiss.
I <3 서지훈
beberly
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States117 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 02:55:18
November 19 2011 02:46 GMT
#13650
Been lurking TLHF for awhile, figured I might as well post this nonsense:

beberly
Age: 24 || Height: 5'11" || Weight: 236 lbs.
Starting Date: 10/11 || Goal Date: 5/11
Weight goals -- less than I am now...maybe around 210 for the short-term, long-term I'd like to hover around 190-195
Training goals -- Increase strength (at least 75% for each lift), SS benchmark numbers below
Nutrition goals -- keep calories restricted to allow me to lose .5-1lb per week (resting rate of ~2300, so about 1900-2000 on rest days, and 2400-2500 on lifting days)

SS Starting Numbers (post-week 3 in parentheses)
SQ: 80 lbs. (105 lbs...had to fiddle with this a bit to correct form problems, which are still pretty rampant)
BP: 80 lbs. (105 lbs.)
DL: 65 lbs. (110 lbs.)
OHP: 60 lbs. (65 lbs...so much hate for OHP)
PC: 45 lbs. (60 lbs.)

Just out of curiosity, any other BU students in TLHF? Every time I see an asian kid (RACIST!!! jkjk) in the power rack squatting properly, I can only wonder. I'm a law student here, so I don't actually get to interact with human beings most of the day, just other law students. It'd be nice to say hey at the gym.

beberly
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States117 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 02:56:09
November 19 2011 02:53 GMT
#13651
On November 19 2011 09:43 AndyJay wrote:
My starting weights and current weights so far. I'm an 85kg 177cm male, 4 weeks into SS.

50kg -> 120kg Deadlift

40kg -> 60kg Power Clean

20kg -> 40kg Standing Press

40kg -> 55kg Bench

Squat I got up to 85kg from a starting point of 50kg in two weeks, but haven't done it since. I will go back to it when I can do a full proper un-weighted squat pain free.

The only lift I'm really worried about stalling on so far is the DL because I'm struggling to hold onto the bar for the 4th and 5th rep due to my weak fingers.


Monstrous DL increase in 4 weeks! 10-15 kg per workout? Good lord man! sJarl better watch out...
RemedySC
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada176 Posts
November 19 2011 03:57 GMT
#13652
Pretty good workout today. Starting to get back into consistently working out, so not going to miss any more days!

Front Squat 155lbs 3x5
Press 95lbs 3x5
Deadlift 260lbs 1x5 PR
Dips BW+25lbs 3x5 PR

Going to post progress pics right away. Probably December 1st since that will be 6 months from when I started.

Can't believe this year is almost over...
Lorken
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 04:30:24
November 19 2011 04:16 GMT
#13653
Quick question: does sprinting like 8 100m sets count as cardio (1 min break in between)? I was thinking of easing off my constant cardio by doing sprints. Hopefully it counts as strength training too. So jealous of everyone who has a gym nearby; everyone lifting weights makes me want to do it. Living in the country sucks

Also, beast skills is an incredible website. Thanks!
LOUD NOISES!!!
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20169 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 04:46:40
November 19 2011 04:38 GMT
#13654
Here's a lift i happen to record from today. Should have got my 135 it was probably my best lift of the day.



jackass roommate video bombing me :-p

On November 19 2011 13:16 Lorken wrote:
Quick question: does sprinting like 8 100m sets count as cardio (1 min break in between)? I was thinking of easing off my constant cardio by doing sprints. Hopefully it counts as strength training too. So jealous of everyone who has a gym nearby; everyone lifting weights makes me want to do it. Living in the country sucks

Also, beast skills is an incredible website. Thanks!


Yes thats very good for you. I'd try to cut it down to 30sec rest if you can or add more (dont know what kind of shape you're in though). Look into bodyweight strength if you don't have a gym (in the training thread)
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
November 19 2011 05:59 GMT
#13655
solid lift decaf!
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Lorken
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand804 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 06:39:02
November 19 2011 06:38 GMT
#13656
On November 19 2011 13:38 decafchicken wrote:
Here's a lift i happen to record from today. Should have got my 135 it was probably my best lift of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx3koL3fOsU

jackass roommate video bombing me :-p

Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 13:16 Lorken wrote:
Quick question: does sprinting like 8 100m sets count as cardio (1 min break in between)? I was thinking of easing off my constant cardio by doing sprints. Hopefully it counts as strength training too. So jealous of everyone who has a gym nearby; everyone lifting weights makes me want to do it. Living in the country sucks

Also, beast skills is an incredible website. Thanks!


Yes thats very good for you. I'd try to cut it down to 30sec rest if you can or add more (dont know what kind of shape you're in though). Look into bodyweight strength if you don't have a gym (in the training thread)


I only managed to do 8 of them I was so exhausted by 6 but I did two more just because I wanted to complete it. I feel so unfit right now lol. New goal is to do 10 with 30 sec break.

Nice lift though man, that's 125 kg right?

NVM saw title
LOUD NOISES!!!
rEiGN~
Profile Joined September 2010
369 Posts
November 19 2011 14:57 GMT
#13657
Is there any way to get rid of DOMS? Had first lower day in a month this Thursday due to a break and the DOMS is still killing me.

I'd like to be able to walk properly tomorrow evening, should I go do a lower day tomorrow afternoon despite it's not officially a workout day for me? + stretch?
TL.net Stream Viewer Count http://goo.gl/ahf1E
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
November 19 2011 15:17 GMT
#13658
Breakfast of champions.

[image loading]
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
November 19 2011 15:39 GMT
#13659
On November 19 2011 23:57 rEiGN~ wrote:
Is there any way to get rid of DOMS? Had first lower day in a month this Thursday due to a break and the DOMS is still killing me.

I'd like to be able to walk properly tomorrow evening, should I go do a lower day tomorrow afternoon despite it's not officially a workout day for me? + stretch?


Contrast shower or ice bath may help...

Doesn't help performance but may help with some of the soreness hah
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
November 19 2011 16:12 GMT
#13660
On November 20 2011 00:17 sJarl wrote:
Breakfast of champions.

[image loading]



i cant tell what that is lol
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Prev 1 681 682 683 684 685 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 477
Hyun 139
Dota 2
monkeys_forever507
League of Legends
Doublelift4428
Other Games
summit1g11668
JimRising 473
ViBE250
Livibee191
KnowMe186
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick930
BasetradeTV180
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 129
• Adnapsc2 39
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1693
• imaqtpie1005
• Shiphtur429
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 2m
Patches Events
15h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 2m
OSC
23h 2m
OSC
1d 12h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.