• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:09
CEST 22:09
KST 05:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7966 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 60

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 58 59 60 61 62 730 Next
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 03 2011 15:54 GMT
#1181
On February 04 2011 00:33 Cambium wrote:
wow funkie wtf, you are at 74 now?

I remember being around 10kg heavier than you at one point?

I'm now at about 78 (cutting phase).


yeah, I was 72.5 like a Month ago, been eating super a lotso, and I want to hit 75-80 and start cutting and get stronger .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 03 2011 16:07 GMT
#1182
On February 04 2011 00:33 vicariouscheese wrote:
So I know I'm several months premature, but I've been looking at the "After Starting Strength" section (bodybuilding/hypertrophy; I don't play sports anymore and I really am just doing this for looks ) and the 20 rep squats looks awesomely intense.

Had my first miss ever yesterday. It was strange because it happened on my *first* set of squats (got 4 reps, missed 5th), so I was all wtfuuuu- then when the second set came around, I realized I actually put 240lbs instead of 230 -_- Proceeded to pound out 2x5, so I will increase to 235, but I think I might be hitting my first stall 5 weeks in. Awesome Might also be stalling on the press at 110lbs, depending on how the next 2 press workouts go.

Also excited to switch to the original SS workout with powercleans once my shoes arrive :D


You could do powerlifting...just saying. It helps for the looks aswell.

The 20 rep squat is a thing you try once and if you put the correct amount of weight on the bar you finish it but never ever want to do it again.

Don't worry about the stalling, just eat/sleep more and load up a bit more caffine and carbs pre-workout
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 16:29:59
February 03 2011 16:20 GMT
#1183
On February 04 2011 01:07 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2011 00:33 vicariouscheese wrote:
So I know I'm several months premature, but I've been looking at the "After Starting Strength" section (bodybuilding/hypertrophy; I don't play sports anymore and I really am just doing this for looks ) and the 20 rep squats looks awesomely intense.

Had my first miss ever yesterday. It was strange because it happened on my *first* set of squats (got 4 reps, missed 5th), so I was all wtfuuuu- then when the second set came around, I realized I actually put 240lbs instead of 230 -_- Proceeded to pound out 2x5, so I will increase to 235, but I think I might be hitting my first stall 5 weeks in. Awesome Might also be stalling on the press at 110lbs, depending on how the next 2 press workouts go.

Also excited to switch to the original SS workout with powercleans once my shoes arrive :D


You could do powerlifting...just saying. It helps for the looks aswell.

The 20 rep squat is a thing you try once and if you put the correct amount of weight on the bar you finish it but never ever want to do it again.

Don't worry about the stalling, just eat/sleep more and load up a bit more caffine and carbs pre-workout


No worries, I'm happy to be stalling- will make me focus more on food and rest. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating as much (or right ratios of protein:veggies:etc) as I should, will have to start with the fitday

If I do the 20rep squat program I would do a whole cycle- but yeah definitely sounds like doing suicides and such. Always had a love/hate relationship with those.

Honestly I'm not even sure I will be able to do powercleans at my gym(s) yet, as they're commercial with no bumper plates, and probably wouldn't be happy with the excessive dropping of weights that comes with powerlifting When I finish SS I will be considering powerlifting because I know I'd have fun doing it, but I will admit I'm not interested in looking like a tree trunk Seeing the people here doing olympic lifts has me dispelling that notion though, with proper eating and such.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 03 2011 17:29 GMT
#1184
You don't need to wait for your shoes, especially for power cleans
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
February 03 2011 17:39 GMT
#1185
On February 04 2011 02:29 decafchicken wrote:
You don't need to wait for your shoes, especially for power cleans


True, but I don't want to change workouts mid-week. and I like making progress on my pullups
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 03 2011 17:42 GMT
#1186
My gym is a commercial dump hole, and I still do my power cleans, just try not to drop the weight from high up in the air, and you'll be fine.

That said, I'm thinking about changing gyms, too much douches and stuff there, and well, they take up 40mins into the squat rack to do pussy squats and to brag about how much they can squat, without actually squatting for shit.

Yesterday I saw a guy who's like ripped as shit and brags a lot, he did squats with 110kg. Using a belt, and with help, and not even going 3inches down, and I'm not even kidding. ;p.

bah. fuck commercial gyms, I'll start searching for bumper plates and buying my own squat rack and end this shit. POWERLIFTING FOR THE MOTHERFUCKING WIN.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
Horrde
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada302 Posts
February 03 2011 18:12 GMT
#1187
On February 04 2011 02:42 funkie wrote:
That said, I'm thinking about changing gyms, too much douches and stuff there, and well, they take up 40mins into the squat rack to do pussy squats and to brag about how much they can squat, without actually squatting for shit.


Hahaha, to be honest, the only person I have yet to see do a full proper squat in my gym has been a girl with 25's on the barbell. I see thick guys get under the vag pad all the time and slowly creep out a set of 10 going down maybe half a foot, with a nice rounded back. Disgusting. I can only assume what's going through their head: "Man, eff this. Give me my dumbbells, I got a straight half hour of curling to do."

I try and make a point of it by going in afterward, ripping off the pad and throwing it at the base of the mirror. I haven't spit on it yet, but it'd be the proper final touch imo.
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 03 2011 18:17 GMT
#1188
On February 04 2011 03:12 Horrde wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2011 02:42 funkie wrote:
That said, I'm thinking about changing gyms, too much douches and stuff there, and well, they take up 40mins into the squat rack to do pussy squats and to brag about how much they can squat, without actually squatting for shit.


Hahaha, to be honest, the only person I have yet to see do a full proper squat in my gym has been a girl with 25's on the barbell. I see thick guys get under the vag pad all the time and slowly creep out a set of 10 going down maybe half a foot, with a nice rounded back. Disgusting. I can only assume what's going through their head: "Man, eff this. Give me my dumbbells, I got a straight half hour of curling to do."

I try and make a point of it by going in afterward, ripping off the pad and throwing it at the base of the mirror. I haven't spit on it yet, but it'd be the proper final touch imo.


rofl no shit.

Everytime I see the vag pad used, I take it off and kick it frontside of the squat rack. That'll show them..;D

Yesterday I gave tips to a dude, who was doing squats and whatnot, he wasn't deep squatting, but his knees were "closing" when he lifted, I told him to extend his stance and showed him the rippetoe way.

=p
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 03 2011 19:08 GMT
#1189
On February 04 2011 01:20 vicariouscheese wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2011 01:07 sJarl wrote:
On February 04 2011 00:33 vicariouscheese wrote:
So I know I'm several months premature, but I've been looking at the "After Starting Strength" section (bodybuilding/hypertrophy; I don't play sports anymore and I really am just doing this for looks ) and the 20 rep squats looks awesomely intense.

Had my first miss ever yesterday. It was strange because it happened on my *first* set of squats (got 4 reps, missed 5th), so I was all wtfuuuu- then when the second set came around, I realized I actually put 240lbs instead of 230 -_- Proceeded to pound out 2x5, so I will increase to 235, but I think I might be hitting my first stall 5 weeks in. Awesome Might also be stalling on the press at 110lbs, depending on how the next 2 press workouts go.

Also excited to switch to the original SS workout with powercleans once my shoes arrive :D


You could do powerlifting...just saying. It helps for the looks aswell.

The 20 rep squat is a thing you try once and if you put the correct amount of weight on the bar you finish it but never ever want to do it again.

Don't worry about the stalling, just eat/sleep more and load up a bit more caffine and carbs pre-workout


No worries, I'm happy to be stalling- will make me focus more on food and rest. I'm pretty sure I'm not eating as much (or right ratios of protein:veggies:etc) as I should, will have to start with the fitday

If I do the 20rep squat program I would do a whole cycle- but yeah definitely sounds like doing suicides and such. Always had a love/hate relationship with those.

Honestly I'm not even sure I will be able to do powercleans at my gym(s) yet, as they're commercial with no bumper plates, and probably wouldn't be happy with the excessive dropping of weights that comes with powerlifting When I finish SS I will be considering powerlifting because I know I'd have fun doing it, but I will admit I'm not interested in looking like a tree trunk Seeing the people here doing olympic lifts has me dispelling that notion though, with proper eating and such.

I'm too scared of my poor eating habits to start using fitday....

But going for a powerlifting oriented training has nothing to do with dropping plates. Just lower the weight carefully and focus on getting as strong as humanly possible.

20 rep squats with your 10 rep max >>>> suicides.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 22:49:40
February 03 2011 22:48 GMT
#1190
On February 04 2011 00:30 funkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2011 21:43 Energies wrote:
What's your height and weight funkie?


1.68cm (i've actually grown 2cm's ;D) and 73-74kg why ;o.


We're kind of similar, I'm about 170-172cm and currently 77kg but I'm easily 4-5kg overweight right now.

I guarantee you at your size you'll still be able to lift a shit ton before you cap out.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 22:57:22
February 03 2011 22:56 GMT
#1191
My bench is officially stuck at 185/190 =__=

I recently did a reset when I corrected my form, now I've been stuck at 190 for two sessions.

Squats going really well, started doing deep squats and now I'm at 215. 225 was my best before the reset, should get there relatively quickly.

Also began using the hook grip today for DL, reset from 285 to 205, it was really hard on my fingers, but I think I can get used to it.

After I got home, my housemate and I pushed his car out of the snow/ice. FUCK YA
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 03 2011 23:03 GMT
#1192
pushing cars around is actually really fun. and a good workout too!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
February 03 2011 23:17 GMT
#1193
I'm assuming the 'vag pad' is the thing you use on squats to cushion the bar?

I'm a vag pad user What's with all the hate? Is it really that bad?
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
February 03 2011 23:26 GMT
#1194
From the starting strength wiki:

The Back Pad

Meow.

No. Don't use the "puss pad".

If your back hurts excessively while squatting, then chances are good you aren't flexing your upper back muscles sufficiently to "pad" your skeleton. When you grip the bar, you must keep your hands in toward the body as closely as possible while gripping the bar BEFORE you unrack the bar and start squatting.

In other words, get under the bar, bring your hands in as closely as possible along the bar, grip the bar with a thumbless grip, lift your elbows back and up, and step under the weight. By keeping your hands close and your elbows back and up, the muscles of your entire shoulder girdle, as well as your trapezius muscles, will all "bunch/hunch up", which will provide significant padding for the bar. Ensure the bar is kept in the "low bar position" at the lower-rear portion of your traps and rear deltoids, and you should be fine.

The main problem with the pad, in addition to making you look like a wuss, is that it tends to throw the center of gravity off. For an experienced trainee, this won't be a problem, they can compensate (and they probably wouldn't ask to use a pad anyway). For a novice trainee, this can be VERY detrimental to proper technique and balance development inherent in the learning process of the squat. So, all joking aside, the pad might help your upper shoulders "feel better" while squatting, but once you get to heavy weight, that little pad won't do jack squat, except for throw off your technique! If you have a shoulder injury, then the pad won't help at all. Look into using a Buffalo Bar, a Safety Squat Bar, or a Manta Ray
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 03 2011 23:37 GMT
#1195
On February 04 2011 08:17 RowdierBob wrote:
I'm assuming the 'vag pad' is the thing you use on squats to cushion the bar?

I'm a vag pad user What's with all the hate? Is it really that bad?


Lets put it this way. I will bitch slap anyone I know using the vag pad because they don't deserve the amount of effort it would take for me to knock them out.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 23:54:25
February 03 2011 23:38 GMT
#1196
Failed miserably at snatches. Couldn't get 100kg. I haven't been so pissed since I lost a rugby game 63-7.

So I cleaned 303 pounds. 137.5 kilos. Off to drink copious amounts of beer.

how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 23:45:18
February 03 2011 23:42 GMT
#1197
On February 04 2011 08:17 RowdierBob wrote:
I'm assuming the 'vag pad' is the thing you use on squats to cushion the bar?

I'm a vag pad user What's with all the hate? Is it really that bad?


Yes it is that bad. Learn to place it on your posterior delts. (Read Starting Strength for example)

Did a restet on my flat bench and going to do 5x5 up to around 90-95kg and finally break the 100kg barrier.
Today's workout:

BB Bench Press: 5 sets of 75kg x 5
Close-Grip BP: 2 sets of 60kg x 5, 2 sets of 70kg x 5 and 75kg x 4 reps. 4 reps is too low so I did it again and ripped out 6 reps. Pretty nice.

Finished up with Dragonflags (sooooo close to get it without a break in the hips!) and some dips. Will try to get a vid next time i do dragonflags .

EDIT:

@Decaf: 63-7 is bad...but so is copious amounts of beer post-workout.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 23:45:24
February 03 2011 23:44 GMT
#1198
I don't use the pad perse, just my gym towel...

Haha I never knew it was that big a deal. I just find it's easier on my back/neck. Guess I better start trying squats without...
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 03 2011 23:46 GMT
#1199
On February 04 2011 08:44 RowdierBob wrote:
I don't use the pad perse, just my gym towel...

Haha I never knew it was that big a deal. I just find it's easier on my back/neck. Guess I better start trying squats without...


Well, it shouldn't be a problem in the first place. You and others might benefit from this video:

"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
RowdierBob
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
Australia13526 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-03 23:52:47
February 03 2011 23:52 GMT
#1200
Yeah been doing some reading and looks like I have the bar too high up.

I'll work on it today, lest decaf ever catch me. Haha.
"Terrans are pretty much space-Australians" - H
Prev 1 58 59 60 61 62 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 543
UpATreeSC 97
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 791
Dewaltoss 108
firebathero 81
Zeus 64
910 38
Trap 36
NaDa 28
Bale 25
ToSsGirL 18
Shine 13
Dota 2
Gorgc6562
420jenkins274
monkeys_forever99
Counter-Strike
edward92
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS149
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2222
Other Games
summit1g5576
Grubby2837
B2W.Neo679
Beastyqt639
shahzam415
byalli411
KnowMe158
TKL 144
C9.Mang0143
ToD107
Railgan16
Chillindude10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV247
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream105
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 35
• Adnapsc2 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• blackmanpl 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur278
• WagamamaTV252
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 51m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 51m
Stellar Fest
16h 51m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.