• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:48
CEST 01:48
KST 08:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7360 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 35

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 730 Next
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
January 20 2011 13:50 GMT
#681
you gotta love teh bicepts

had a decent workout today. pulled 200lbs (only rack pull tho) and now i'm starting to have trouble with the grip. left hand can barely hold on, and it hurts like a bitch. but i suppose it's normal considering i'm right handed. chalk isn't allowed in the gym so meh...

i understand much, much heavier weights can be pulled because of the much shorter range of motion (as opposed to the deadlift) but i can't imagine even pulling much more than what i'm already doing. besides my grip i can't exactly say i'm struggling, but my goal of 300 (or even 2xbw - 280) seems light years away...
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
January 20 2011 13:53 GMT
#682
On January 20 2011 22:50 unknown.sam wrote:
you gotta love teh bicepts

had a decent workout today. pulled 200lbs (only rack pull tho) and now i'm starting to have trouble with the grip. left hand can barely hold on, and it hurts like a bitch. but i suppose it's normal considering i'm right handed. chalk isn't allowed in the gym so meh...

i understand much, much heavier weights can be pulled because of the much shorter range of motion (as opposed to the deadlift) but i can't imagine even pulling much more than what i'm already doing. besides my grip i can't exactly say i'm struggling, but my goal of 300 (or even 2xbw - 280) seems light years away...



Take it from me, I used to have these bitchlife grip problems. (thank decaf for the following advice)

Take an old shirt, and make 2 stripes of cloth, wrap them in the bar where you place your hands, and then scream "TL HEALTH AND FITNESS!" and Boom, you'll be lifting 250lbs ez ez pz .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 13:58:37
January 20 2011 13:58 GMT
#683
In my opinion, whenever somebody posts something terrible in this thread we respond with this picture:

[image loading]
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 15:15:21
January 20 2011 15:11 GMT
#684
On January 20 2011 22:58 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
In my opinion, whenever somebody posts something terrible in this thread we respond with this picture:

[image loading]


and add as caption,
CELL-TECH, Please.

edit: can't believe we finally, have our own, complete, picture-supported meme. <3
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
January 20 2011 16:08 GMT
#685
On January 20 2011 22:50 unknown.sam wrote:
you gotta love teh bicepts

had a decent workout today. pulled 200lbs (only rack pull tho) and now i'm starting to have trouble with the grip. left hand can barely hold on, and it hurts like a bitch. but i suppose it's normal considering i'm right handed. chalk isn't allowed in the gym so meh...

i understand much, much heavier weights can be pulled because of the much shorter range of motion (as opposed to the deadlift) but i can't imagine even pulling much more than what i'm already doing. besides my grip i can't exactly say i'm struggling, but my goal of 300 (or even 2xbw - 280) seems light years away...


Use chalk anyway...also, try mixed grip and plate pinching.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
January 20 2011 16:22 GMT
#686
On January 21 2011 01:08 sJarl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 20 2011 22:50 unknown.sam wrote:
you gotta love teh bicepts

had a decent workout today. pulled 200lbs (only rack pull tho) and now i'm starting to have trouble with the grip. left hand can barely hold on, and it hurts like a bitch. but i suppose it's normal considering i'm right handed. chalk isn't allowed in the gym so meh...

i understand much, much heavier weights can be pulled because of the much shorter range of motion (as opposed to the deadlift) but i can't imagine even pulling much more than what i'm already doing. besides my grip i can't exactly say i'm struggling, but my goal of 300 (or even 2xbw - 280) seems light years away...


Use chalk anyway...also, try mixed grip and plate pinching.


Plate pinching? What is this?

At least at my gym, ther problem with chalk if ther mess it makes. Be careful about putting it on and you should be fine. Also, try both mixed grip and hook grip, see which one you like better. Hook grip murders my thumbs, but I definitely like using it more than mixed grip. Just feels better balanced, more natural. Either one of these will help you lift heavier though.
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 18:03:43
January 20 2011 17:56 GMT
#687
On January 21 2011 01:22 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2011 01:08 sJarl wrote:
On January 20 2011 22:50 unknown.sam wrote:
you gotta love teh bicepts

had a decent workout today. pulled 200lbs (only rack pull tho) and now i'm starting to have trouble with the grip. left hand can barely hold on, and it hurts like a bitch. but i suppose it's normal considering i'm right handed. chalk isn't allowed in the gym so meh...

i understand much, much heavier weights can be pulled because of the much shorter range of motion (as opposed to the deadlift) but i can't imagine even pulling much more than what i'm already doing. besides my grip i can't exactly say i'm struggling, but my goal of 300 (or even 2xbw - 280) seems light years away...


Use chalk anyway...also, try mixed grip and plate pinching.


Plate pinching? What is this?

At least at my gym, ther problem with chalk if ther mess it makes. Be careful about putting it on and you should be fine. Also, try both mixed grip and hook grip, see which one you like better. Hook grip murders my thumbs, but I definitely like using it more than mixed grip. Just feels better balanced, more natural. Either one of these will help you lift heavier though.


You take 2 plates and press them together using only your fingers and try to hold on as long as possible

EDIT:

Hook grip also kills my thumbs but it is so much more awesome than mixed grip I usually zone out just before a heavy dead and then I never find any discomfort in using mixed grip.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
January 20 2011 18:08 GMT
#688
Stfu, Mixed grip rules.

I tried DL 120kg with normal and I was barely off the floor when I said "no".

Mixed gripped that shit and it was like "a walk in the park". ;D.

I need to get used to hook grip tho. It kills my fingers I feel like dying
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 20 2011 18:24 GMT
#689
i clean and snatch with hook grip but i think i'll stick to mixed grip for DL. havent deadlifted in forever T_T I'll test it out after i finish this bulgarian program. First rest day i've had in like a week lol hopefully i'll feel awesome tomorrow. kinda wish i had something to do though
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 20 2011 19:33 GMT
#690
Deadlift up to what you can with normal grip and then go to mixed grip once you can't hold anymore.

You don't want to have a grip deficit so always train as much as you can with normal grip first before switching over
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
January 20 2011 19:50 GMT
#691
Damn, tomorrow and monday is my last workouts before I go on vacation. Will try and smash 110 kg squat tomorrow
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
January 20 2011 20:04 GMT
#692
On January 21 2011 04:50 Necosarius wrote:
Damn, tomorrow and monday is my last workouts before I go on vacation. Will try and smash 110 kg squat tomorrow



SMASH IT BRO. I KNOW I WILL FUCKING TRY (OR at least with 107kg)
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
luckyseven
Profile Joined December 2010
179 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-20 23:15:30
January 20 2011 23:10 GMT
#693
height 188
weight ~75 (to be confirmed)

short term
squat 50kg
bpress 50kg
mpress 30kg
curl 15kg
1 chinup

longterm
5 chinups
weight 90kg

dated targets
- 1x chinup by 28/1
- bpress 50kg by 30/1
- mpress 30kg by 3/2
- weight 82kg by ??? ??? cant be bothered to work it out

nutrition
daily vits (iron mag zinc b d fishoil thiamine multi)
sort out shopping/fridge
2-4 litre milk/day

will be revised, only just joined this gym
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 20 2011 23:36 GMT
#694
Okay, I just went to the gym again to practise cleans. I'm pretty sure I bruised both of my shoulders. This is my 3rd session (1st time was learning it with just a bar). How long did it take you guys to learn to do cleans properly (i.e. no more bruises).

I think my problem still lies within coordination, or that I'm afraid that I'll hit my collarbone/throat (this also happened quite a few times).
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 21 2011 00:18 GMT
#695
On January 21 2011 08:36 Cambium wrote:
Okay, I just went to the gym again to practise cleans. I'm pretty sure I bruised both of my shoulders. This is my 3rd session (1st time was learning it with just a bar). How long did it take you guys to learn to do cleans properly (i.e. no more bruises).

I think my problem still lies within coordination, or that I'm afraid that I'll hit my collarbone/throat (this also happened quite a few times).


lol i've hit myself in the neck with over 250 pounds i'm sure you'll be fine. i dunno on a timeframe, i still bruise my collarbone pretty regularly if i dont catch it on my shoulder muscle. i'm pretty used to it, doesnt bother me too much. i did powercleans a decent amount in high school (with pretty shitty form, dont even think i really caught it on my shoulders just held it up in my hands) but recently i've been cleaning for about 2 months. probably stopped caring about my shoulder bruises after a week or two lol
You really do have to get over the fear at first though, i was mortified by the fact that i'd be dropping 200 pounds on to my shoulders! but you just gotta commit to it and do it and realize its not that bad.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
ShaLLoW[baY]
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada12499 Posts
January 21 2011 00:56 GMT
#696
I clean and jerked 175lbs today, which is a personal best..LOL i'm so terrible

did some deadlifts to make up for it, 3x335,355,385

Then I worked on clean form for like 40 minutes with 20kg on each side.

GOD i want to be good at this
ALEXISONFIRE ARE FUCKING BACK (sAviOr for life)
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 01:55:12
January 21 2011 01:42 GMT
#697
On January 21 2011 09:18 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 21 2011 08:36 Cambium wrote:
Okay, I just went to the gym again to practise cleans. I'm pretty sure I bruised both of my shoulders. This is my 3rd session (1st time was learning it with just a bar). How long did it take you guys to learn to do cleans properly (i.e. no more bruises).

I think my problem still lies within coordination, or that I'm afraid that I'll hit my collarbone/throat (this also happened quite a few times).


lol i've hit myself in the neck with over 250 pounds i'm sure you'll be fine. i dunno on a timeframe, i still bruise my collarbone pretty regularly if i dont catch it on my shoulder muscle. i'm pretty used to it, doesnt bother me too much. i did powercleans a decent amount in high school (with pretty shitty form, dont even think i really caught it on my shoulders just held it up in my hands) but recently i've been cleaning for about 2 months. probably stopped caring about my shoulder bruises after a week or two lol
You really do have to get over the fear at first though, i was mortified by the fact that i'd be dropping 200 pounds on to my shoulders! but you just gotta commit to it and do it and realize its not that bad.


Thanks! I'm just glad I'm not the only idiot hurting myself. Gonna slam that shit next time.

Also some questions

a) should i do some front squats now that I'm trying to do cleans? I heard this might help.

b) should I tuck in my shoulder blades (like bench) when I occasionally do inclines?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
DimmuKlok
Profile Joined June 2010
United States225 Posts
January 21 2011 01:55 GMT
#698
DimmuKlok (Jess Phillips)
Age: 20 || Height: 6'4" || Weight: 280 lbs
Starting Date: 1/20/2011 || Goal Date: 6/1/2011
Weight goals -- I'm trying to lose weight and get in better condition.
Nutrition goals -- I'm trying to improve my diet by eating healthier.

I only just now found this thread so I'm a little late to the party. I started working out everyday sometime in December and prior to that I never worked out. I've lost 30 lbs so far, being down from 310 lbs. I haven't quite altered my diet yet but that's still something I am working on. Hopefully the knowledge I gain from this thread will help me with that.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyones accomplishments, this should be fun.
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-21 04:47:19
January 21 2011 04:34 GMT
#699
Today's big return workout:

Squat: 80kg
Bench: 70kg
Chin up: 5kg x 5, 6, 5

lol.

Lost forty kilograms off my squat, twenty off my bench, and seven off my chin up.

This time I'm going to work back up slowly--3kg every session on my squat and bench. I'm going to eat more calories, add rice to my diet so I can eat over 1,000 calories a day, and perform in the gym. I'm back, baby.

In other news, women are the bane of my training. I'd love to bulk relentlessly right now, but if I go over 15% body fat my face gets fat and I look like an idiot. I'm still technically cutting in an attempt to get to like 7-8% body fat and then do repeated 8% -> 15% bulk/15% -> 8% cut cycles, but I'd love nothing more than to just eat 4,000 calories a day and hit 110kg bearmode. But, in my case, women > strength.

Oh well. I could always just go decafmode and do ridiculous amounts of weight at 7% body fat.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
January 21 2011 04:59 GMT
#700
^ Finally not sick?

What gym do you go to btw? A lot of the gyms in Japan are like spas (even more so than NA)
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 12m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.