• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:11
CEST 23:11
KST 06:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5867 users

Off-Topic General Discussion - Page 1383

Forum Index > The Shopkeeper′s Inn
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 5162 Next
kainzero
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States5211 Posts
March 11 2014 01:19 GMT
#27641
On March 11 2014 10:09 red_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 09:33 xes wrote:
Blizzard taking a page from the Riot Balance Book now that they've poached Ghostrcrawler.


But Riot poached Ghostcrawler, so shouldn't they be the ones taking pages from...

I am so confused right now.

Plot twist


there is no balance book
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
March 11 2014 01:24 GMT
#27642
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
March 11 2014 01:30 GMT
#27643
On March 11 2014 10:24 Ketara wrote:
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?


The decks that are playing "Good Generic Minions" with Rags/Yseras are going to be much stronger. Faceless Manip will also see more play because of this, but the upside is that with the new changes to Pagel you can kill him before he puts you into the start of a hole.

Ultimately I feel like nothing changes too much. The control decks get a bit stronger in the mirror match but slightly weaker all around due to the lack of consistent pagle. Shaman might get even better because of how strong Mana Tide actually is. Just have to wait and see. Silence might be a thing again.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
onlywonderboy
Profile Joined August 2012
United States23745 Posts
March 11 2014 01:50 GMT
#27644
On March 11 2014 10:24 Ketara wrote:
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?

I remember Doa said something about this when the game was first released and it was basically "TCG's were the original pay to win game."
RIP Ryan Davis / TL or Die / @onlywonderboy
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
March 11 2014 01:51 GMT
#27645
Titanfall looks good but it is just another game i wont play after a week
jcarlsoniv
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States27922 Posts
March 11 2014 01:52 GMT
#27646
On March 11 2014 10:51 Shelke14 wrote:
Titanfall looks good but it is just another game i wont play after a week


was just thinking the exact same thing
Soniv ||| Soniv#1962 ||| @jcarlsoniv ||| The Big Golem ||| Join the Glorious Evolution. What's your favorite aminal, a bear? ||| Joe "Don't call me Daniel" "Soniv" "Daniel" Carlsberg LXIX ||| Paging Dr. John Shadow
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 01:54:31
March 11 2014 01:54 GMT
#27647
On March 11 2014 10:50 onlywonderboy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 10:24 Ketara wrote:
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?

I remember Doa said something about this when the game was first released and it was basically "TCG's were the original pay to win game."


That's pretty true.

But IMO Hearthstone does it a little bit differently than like Magic does, or at least how I used to remember Magic doing it back when I played it when I was in highschool (lawl)

In Hearthstone it's very blatant that cards in general get better the rarer they get. There are some outlier rare and better cards that are just awful, but in general Legendaries are more cost efficient than Epics which are more cost efficient than Rares, etc.

As far as I remember, in Magic the rarity of the card has very little to do with how good the card is, and a lot of the absolute best cards in the game for serious play are commons.

Maybe it's just rose colored memory and I'm totally wrong, though.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
March 11 2014 01:56 GMT
#27648
On March 11 2014 10:52 jcarlsoniv wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 10:51 Shelke14 wrote:
Titanfall looks good but it is just another game i wont play after a week


was just thinking the exact same thing


Yeah, I'll love playing it for that week. Sesh it for 20-30 hours then never again like BF 4
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
March 11 2014 01:57 GMT
#27649
On March 11 2014 10:54 Ketara wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 10:50 onlywonderboy wrote:
On March 11 2014 10:24 Ketara wrote:
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?

I remember Doa said something about this when the game was first released and it was basically "TCG's were the original pay to win game."


That's pretty true.

But IMO Hearthstone does it a little bit differently than like Magic does, or at least how I used to remember Magic doing it back when I played it when I was in highschool (lawl)

In Hearthstone it's very blatant that cards in general get better the rarer they get. There are some outlier rare and better cards that are just awful, but in general Legendaries are more cost efficient than Epics which are more cost efficient than Rares, etc.

As far as I remember, in Magic the rarity of the card has very little to do with how good the card is, and a lot of the absolute best cards in the game for serious play are commons.

Maybe it's just rose colored memory and I'm totally wrong, though.


Not entirely, Lets just say there hasn't been an Uncommon in QUITE some time that has had to be banned (I think the last one to do so was Artifact Lands).

Generally the rarer the card in MTG the more "Power Budget" it has. Because if you print Jace the Mind Sculptor at common (like they do with reprints in Yugioh) you end up with the card economy crashing hard for that particular card.

HS is different in that the cards are GENERALLY very inefficient at common and for the most part rare. There are obvious things that break that rule, but the ones that do are played in almost every deck at the moment.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
March 11 2014 02:17 GMT
#27650
On March 11 2014 10:57 Cixah wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2014 10:54 Ketara wrote:
On March 11 2014 10:50 onlywonderboy wrote:
On March 11 2014 10:24 Ketara wrote:
I already barely play Hearthstone because I feel like a lot of Legendaries are totally overpowered and that it's bullshit how pay to win the game is.

Wouldn't said Tinkmaster nerf make it so decks with 7-8 Legendaries in them are even better than they are now?

I remember Doa said something about this when the game was first released and it was basically "TCG's were the original pay to win game."


That's pretty true.

But IMO Hearthstone does it a little bit differently than like Magic does, or at least how I used to remember Magic doing it back when I played it when I was in highschool (lawl)

In Hearthstone it's very blatant that cards in general get better the rarer they get. There are some outlier rare and better cards that are just awful, but in general Legendaries are more cost efficient than Epics which are more cost efficient than Rares, etc.

As far as I remember, in Magic the rarity of the card has very little to do with how good the card is, and a lot of the absolute best cards in the game for serious play are commons.

Maybe it's just rose colored memory and I'm totally wrong, though.


Not entirely, Lets just say there hasn't been an Uncommon in QUITE some time that has had to be banned (I think the last one to do so was Artifact Lands).

Generally the rarer the card in MTG the more "Power Budget" it has. Because if you print Jace the Mind Sculptor at common (like they do with reprints in Yugioh) you end up with the card economy crashing hard for that particular card.

HS is different in that the cards are GENERALLY very inefficient at common and for the most part rare. There are obvious things that break that rule, but the ones that do are played in almost every deck at the moment.

That's only partially true though since there are a lot of powerful cards below Rares in some of the recent sets. Off the top of my head, the non-rares that are banned in MtG (a lot are from fairly recent sets too):

+ Show Spoiler +
  • Preordain (Modern)
  • Ponder (Modern, restricted in Vintage)
  • Artifact Lands (Modern)
  • Bloodbraid Elf (Modern)
  • Mental Misstep (nearly everything)
  • Rite of Flame/Seething Song (Modern)
  • Sword of the Meek (Modern)
  • Cloudpost (Modern)
  • Dread Return (Modern)
  • Sensei's Divining Top (Modern)
  • Skullclamp (nearly all formats)
  • Gush (Legacy)
  • Sol Ring (Legacy)
  • Windfall (Legacy)


That's not to say that a lot of really good cards aren't Rare/Mythics though. But Uncommons/Commons can still pack a punch (Delver of Secrets wat)
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 02:24:39
March 11 2014 02:20 GMT
#27651
HS card interaction gets stale after a few months (or once you played enough to know most matchups) because there's no player to player interaction besides combat math and playing around removal. I've complained about it in the past, but competitive HS is more about playing the metagame than playing the game itself. I'll probably pick up my playing once again when they implement card back rewards.

On a related tcg topic, I probably shouldn't have but I traded in all my standard staples and unplayed modern/legacy staples and spent a big chunk of money on a playset of tarmogoyfs.
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-11 02:27:46
March 11 2014 02:26 GMT
#27652
Preordain, Ponder, Windfall, Gush and Mistep are banned because Blue Spells are OP. #BanBlue.

Most of whats listed above are banned either because the cost effiency of the above cards is too high (Bloodbraid is 4cmc that does MINIMUM 3 damage and can cast a 3 CMC spell or lower for free), or are just completely bonkers in combonation with other cards in that format (CounterBalance Top is already a deck in Legacy that would DIRECTLY port over to modern if one of the 2 wasn't banned, and Clamp makes Affinity even more dumb, while Dread Return makes dredge NEAR unplayable in Modern).

Most of the Modern banns are simply because they want to have a different format that a Direct port back to Legacy.

Edit: Make Delver Green and it wouldn't be as bonkers IMO.
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
March 11 2014 02:31 GMT
#27653
Best examples of cheap cards being super good are modern storm and merfolk. However Magic has the problem with $500+ mana base.
MoonBear
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Straight outta Johto18973 Posts
March 11 2014 02:33 GMT
#27654
On March 11 2014 11:26 Cixah wrote:
Preordain, Ponder, Windfall, Gush and Mistep are banned because Blue Spells are OP. #BanBlue.

Most of whats listed above are banned either because the cost effiency of the above cards is too high (Bloodbraid is 4cmc that does MINIMUM 3 damage and can cast a 3 CMC spell or lower for free), or are just completely bonkers in combonation with other cards in that format (CounterBalance Top is already a deck in Legacy that would DIRECTLY port over to modern if one of the 2 wasn't banned, and Clamp makes Affinity even more dumb, while Dread Return makes dredge NEAR unplayable in Modern).

Most of the Modern banns are simply because they want to have a different format that a Direct port back to Legacy.

Edit: Make Delver Green and it wouldn't be as bonkers IMO.

Oh no I totally get why they're banned (even if sometimes part of me wishes I could play some of those cards esp the Modern banned ones). I mainly just disagreed that there were Uncommons that needed to be banned. Still, if you want a really strong deck you're still forking out for a lot of them Rares/Mythics. (Fetchlans ho!)

On March 11 2014 11:20 caelym wrote:
On a related tcg topic, I probably shouldn't have but I traded in all my standard staples and unplayed modern/legacy staples and spent a big chunk of money on a playset of tarmogoyfs.

Congrats! On the plus side, if you ever want to port over to Legacy or another Tarmo deck at least you've got the big stuff out of the way.
ModeratorA dream. Do you have one that has cursed you like that? Or maybe... a wish?
Tooplark
Profile Joined October 2008
United States3977 Posts
March 11 2014 02:34 GMT
#27655
that's why yall should play netrunner, it's like $150 for a full playset of every card ever printed!
WHAT POW'R ART THOU WHO FROM BELOW HAST MADE ME RISE UNWILLINGLY AND SLOW
Cixah
Profile Joined July 2010
United States11285 Posts
March 11 2014 02:36 GMT
#27656
I'm playing a 30 dollar deck in modern. Mono White Prison is the best deck. Only expensive cards are Elspeth, Sun Champions, The rest just makes the game so easy
Hug The Goat! Hug the Goat! Hug the Goat!
Ketara
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States15065 Posts
March 11 2014 02:41 GMT
#27657
I've heard Netrunner is like the best card game ever made by multiple people.

I played Magic right when it came out, enjoyed it in higschool, kind of stopped playing, and then years later sold all my cards for a veritable boatload of cash and I have never regretted this.
http://www.liquidlegends.net/forum/lol-general/502075-patch-61-league-of-legends-general-discussion?page=25#498
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
March 11 2014 02:51 GMT
#27658
Isn't the whole point of Darksouls to be really hard..... Why if i pre purchase the game do I get 10 weapons and armor....
sung_moon
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States10110 Posts
March 11 2014 02:58 GMT
#27659
On March 11 2014 11:51 Shelke14 wrote:
Isn't the whole point of Darksouls to be really hard..... Why if i pre purchase the game do I get 10 weapons and armor....


Unless its like Drake Sword/ Demon Soul's Makoto good, it doesn't really help much (especially to those still relatively new to Demon/Dark Souls series). The armor even less so.

Fuck I'm going to see if I can last till May before I get Dark Souls 2......
Forever Young
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 11 2014 03:14 GMT
#27660
I figured I was going to wait until after exams to get RoS but I'll probably cave.
At least I don't have to worry about Dark Souls 2 since I'll be nowhere near finished the game yet.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Prev 1 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 5162 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 189
JuggernautJason119
Nina 92
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 601
White-Ra 178
firebathero 81
910 42
NaDa 21
Counter-Strike
Fnx 819
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0174
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby9636
Liquid`Hasu1760
crisheroes1637
Trikslyr85
Other Games
summit1g6606
Liquid`RaSZi5672
Beastyqt797
shahzam474
B2W.Neo233
Pyrionflax192
ToD167
KnowMe112
ArmadaUGS108
ZombieGrub91
IndyStarCraft 73
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream364
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• Eskiya23 22
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV472
League of Legends
• TFBlade1062
Other Games
• imaqtpie1093
• Shiphtur301
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 50m
Afreeca Starleague
12h 50m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 2h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 13h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.